Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

CD Projekt on DRM

GamesIndustry.biz has an interesting quote from CD Projekt on the interesting and quote-worthy topic of digital rights management in discussing the launch of Good Old Games, the DRM-free vintage gaming marketplace. CD Project CEO Michal Kicinski describes their efforts at overcoming publisher's resistance to DRM-free offerings out of fear of piracy, and their reasons for swimming against that tide: "DRM makes customer's lives too complicated, and this is usually because of some corporate ideas, policies and trying to be smart, too smart, in how to get customers and how to keep them and no let them go somewhere else. We are believers in the free market and bringing freedom to customers."
View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: GOG is Great Sep 24, 2008, 14:43 Ecthelion

Does FreeSpace support Internet-based multiplayer?
It does if you play it using the Freespace Open engine. Parallax Online, the online service included in FS2, no longer works.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: GOG is Great Sep 23, 2008, 14:56  Kxmode 

Does FreeSpace support Internet-based multiplayer?

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
DRM needs to die... now

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

34. No subject Sep 23, 2008, 00:01 Boston

you got to be kidding me. I JUST missed it???!!!

yeah I missed it. Let this be a lesson for you all people: if you see a free sandwich, take it! don't wait around and say to yourself "oh I'll just get it next week"
This comment was edited on Sep 23, 00:09.

33. Re: GOG is Great Sep 22, 2008, 20:59 Ecthelion

Ecthelion if you read this in time you might be in luck as they extanded it.
Sweet! I was able to get my free game after all, thanks to you.

32. Re: GOG is Great Sep 22, 2008, 20:56 Huzsar

I'm in the beta too, but unfortunately I was lazy and didn't redeem my code in time (I missed it by 10 minutes). But I'm extremely impressed with the site so far. They really did a great job setting it up.

Ecthelion if you read this in time you might be in luck as they extanded it. From their page with rules on the promotion

2. is valid until September 22 at 11:59pm (EDT), 2008,

31. CD Projekt Sep 22, 2008, 19:34 Creston

aka, the Good Guys.

GoG is awesome, I hope it really takes off and becomes the de facto place to get all the old classics.

Any dev who is anti-DRM gets my money.

Creston

30. Re: GOG is Great Sep 22, 2008, 19:06 Ecthelion

Only when:

a) There aren't enough seeders, or high speed seeders (same issue as having a fast download server to begin with)
b) You can't configure your router to receive incoming connections.
c) Your ISP sucks and/or throttles torrents.

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 19:43.

29. Re: GOG is Great Sep 22, 2008, 18:15 starmonkey

"bit torrent is f*cking slower than pig swill"

Only when:

a) There aren't enough seeders, or high speed seeders (same issue as having a fast download server to begin with)
b) You can't configure your router to receive incoming connections.

Nothing wrong with the technology itself mate.

28. Re: GOG is Great Sep 22, 2008, 17:46 Flatline

"For example we believe that GOG.com makes such a good offer that it's not worth pirating... We attract people to buy the original games instead of pirating them and that's the most efficient way of fighting piracy."

And they're completely dead on right. 10 bucks for a classic game, one that has been modified to work under XP and doesn't require DRM or must-be-online-to-play requirements, can be downloaded at very, very high speeds (bit torrent is f*cking slower than pig swill), and you have combined impulse buy price points, accessibility even the pirates don't have, nostalgia, and no restrictions, you've got a winning combination.

27. Re: GOG is Great Sep 22, 2008, 17:38 Boston

I agree. they have to start thinking "what can we offer our customers that the pirates can't deliver" It may be a box full of useless crap like t-shirt and soundtrack or preferably something better, but they have to start thinking about it the other way.

26. No subject Sep 22, 2008, 17:36 Flatline

"DRM makes customer's lives too complicated, and this is usually because of some corporate ideas, policies and trying to be smart, too smart, in how to get customers and how to keep them and no let them go somewhere else. We are believers in the free market and bringing freedom to customers."

That just earned them a sale. I was curious about Witcher, now I'm ordering it (the import version, damned censored versions...)

Also, I'm frothing at the mouth to get at GoodOldGames. I prefer classic games over the tripe coming out today, and 10 bucks a pop to fill in my collection sounds fantastic.

I hope they offer Planescape: Torment. One of the best RPGs of all time, and easily the best story of any RPG ever.

25. Re: GOG is Great Sep 22, 2008, 17:29 DG

compete with pirates
That's it, right there.

I just don't get it. I work as an accountant and I can't think of a single client who I wouldn't expect to automatically think to do just that. But the gaming industry? Competing is last in line, they'd rather switch format. Gaming isn't exactly a competitive marketplace, a AAA title is to another simply someone else increasing your market base, but surely they've heard of it?

24. Re: GOG is Great Sep 22, 2008, 16:37 Mingus

BG and TotSC work fine in XP, and DOS Box won't help since they're Windows games. Resolution won't be a problem, except that the lower resolutions will look rather pixellated on current monitors. But there is a tool to give BG widescreen support: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12374

Wow, it just goes to show how long ago it's been since I played BG

I re-read the manual and sure enough, Windows 95 Thanks for the link to the resolution hack!

23. No subject Sep 22, 2008, 16:10 Bluesfanboi

Interestingly, I will have to work around Windows DRM to play my no-disc-required Witcher:EE, as I am likely to upgrade my hardware, triggering a reactivation requirement for Windows which will likely be a hassle.

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 16:11.

22. Re: CD Projekt=Awesome! Sep 22, 2008, 15:47 Overon

If you buy the Retail-EE, there is still SolidShield-Shit on the disc. Nevertheless already cracked, but officially "protected" from whatever stupid publishers fear ...
Exactly. If you buy it retail dvd's you need dvd in drive.
If you patch it from a previous installation of witcher to enhanced edition you do not.

21. Re: CD Projekt=Awesome! Sep 22, 2008, 15:19 Kajetan

DRM has been removed from the Witcher Enhanced Edition as best I can tell.

Only, if you upgrade with the Enhanced Patch!

If you buy the Retail-EE, there is still SolidShield-Shit on the disc. Nevertheless already cracked, but officially "protected" from whatever stupid publishers fear ...

20. Re: CD Projekt=Awesome! Sep 22, 2008, 14:56 Woebringer

DRM has been removed from the Witcher Enhanced Edition as best I can tell. The original Witcher used Tages copy protection. Installing The Witcher EE Patch asks you to prove your registered your CD Key on thewitcher.com website, not unlike Steam or Impulse. Post-install there is no copy protection or DRM present that I have been able to detect.

19. Re: CD Projekt=Awesome! Sep 22, 2008, 14:17 Techie714

"The witcher enhanced edition uses solidshield for its drm in the North America. You need to have the cd in the drive to play..."

Actually I patched it up from my old copy of the The Witcher & have not had to use my CD. =)

R.I.P George Carlin 1937-2008

18. Re: GOG is Great Sep 22, 2008, 14:07  nin 

!!! If you haven't played Full Throttle yet, you owe it to yourself to rush to the store and... oh... umm... rush to the nearest digital distributor that stocks the game and... oh...
Ohhh, so that's what GOG is for. (shameless, I know!)

So Tom, when does GOG open it's doors to the masses?

And would you say, so far, that sales have met or exceeded your expectations?

------------------------------------------------
http://theslip.nin.com/
"The Bellic boys! Taking over your town, assholes!"

17. ... Sep 22, 2008, 13:43  theyarecomingforyou 

The witcher enhanced edition uses solidshield for its drm in the North America. You need to have the cd in the drive to play...
Wow, that sucks. I had the original game (UK version) and when I installed the EE update it removed the CD-check altogether. I'm really happy with CDP for that.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >