4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Zero Punctuation
Sep 18, 2008, 22:34
Kxmode

Zero Punctuation Sep 18, 2008, 22:34
Sep 18, 2008, 22:34
 Kxmode

That forced EA video at the end of the review must have made Yahtzee weep for less corporate whore days.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
DRM needs to die... now
"I used to fence at Bel-Air Academy." "Oh, really? How much do you think we could get for that stereo?"

Re: Missing. The. Point.
Sep 18, 2008, 13:01
Quboid

Re: Missing. The. Point. Sep 18, 2008, 13:01
 Quboid

Indeed, you can't make a game about evolution because the whole point is that it's hands off. I guess you could play God with the landscape and see how random mutations develop to take advantage of the new landscapes, some species branching off and becoming dominant, others dying off.

It's not really a game. Certainly not a big budget game.

It would be fun to have, say, a world covered 90% in water and then fill the land with a few species of largely defenceless herbivores. Then play God and make it 90% land, with the remaining lake being chock full of swimming carnivores. Seeing how long it takes the lake to solve it's over population problem would be neat. Also the first carnivore to walk on land would have a massive advantage and it would then be interesting to watch the herbivores evolve their defences or die off. I don't know if there's much of a game there, but the same is being said for Spore.

I might do a mini-review of M&B later.

Quboid

Re: Missing. The. Point.
Re: Missing. The. Point. Sep 18, 2008, 13:01

Yeah a shame, really. But then again how can you make a game about natural selection anyway? I mean if its natural selection then the player (or GOD) would have nothing to do right?

Ive tried Mount & Blade, or at least one of its betas, and I have to say that while innovative the lack of a central story and some glaring bugs are keeping me away from it. I might try downloading the finished game, maybe they polished it up a bit.

Its rather refreshing, the entire game is a free download, but your character is limited to lvl 6, then for a small fee you can buy a license that unlocks the lvl cap.

I have a nifty blue line!

Missing. The. Point.
Quboid

Missing. The. Point. Sep 18, 2008, 13:01
 Quboid

How often is Spore referred to as being about evolution? It is NOT about evolution. It is clearly, blatantly, a game about Intelligent Design. No, I don't think it's some subliminal message to convert us heathens, it's just that sort of game. You pick parts based on numbers, trying to design a creature in an intelligent manner. Antispore.com might be all very funny but they're spoofing something which doesn't exist, some fictional AAA evolution game.

I just took a quick look and all three Spore reviews describe it as being about evolution. Yes, Zero Punc, Charles Darwin would eat his own beard. That's because it's not even trying to be anything to do with his work and I'd imagine having your work misrepresented by every reviewer on earth would be a bit annoying.

Quboid
This comment was edited on Sep 18, 07:21.
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older