Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Mythic's EA Comments Follow-up

Eurogamer has a follow-up from Mythic's Mark Jacobs, who backpedals from Paul Barnett's comment that EA knows "nothing about launching MMOs in Europe, unless it's spending lots of money closing them down I suppose" (story). Mark points out they already had a deal for European distribution of Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning with GOA before they were acquired by EA, so this was not a case of choosing to avoid using EA for this. He chalks Paul's comments up to his well-known sarcastic sense of humor and irreverence, and says, "What Paul said about EA not knowing anything about launching MMOs: you know, Paul likes to exaggerate - of course EA knows things about launching MMOs. EA is responsible, certainly, for one of the most important MMOs of all time, and that was Ultima [Online]." This is excerpted from a larger interview with Jacobs discussing the game's impending launch, saying that so far their early access program has hit no snags, and has had no game crashes and no individual server crashes.
View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. D'oh! Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Paranoid Jack

Ok, that is it. I'm done. Twice now in the past day I have stuck my foot in my mouth. I could have sworn it was a 10 AM Live Launch. I won't bother looking for it. I'll just admit you're right and go back to playing the game.

Are you happy now? I'm having a hell of a time deciding which character I want to be my main. Having too much fun playing the different classes/races. I have yet to try a Shaman for more than six or seven levels. The healers play differently depending on race. One requires you to be involved in melee (Warrior Priest), another (Archmage I think it is) requires little to no melee, and the Rune Priest seems to be a middle ground. He mainly uses spells at a distance, heal from a distance, and lite melee.

I'm still having a blast ... this is the best head-cold (that's moved into my chest) I've ever had. It took me out of work finally yesterday and I don't plan on going back until Monday.

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 11:50.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: You didn't read the media releases... Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 JohnBirshire

John, please, read the media release(s) again. 12:01 AM is not the official launch time...

http://herald.warhammeronline.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=288

Oh, oops, I guess you were....wrong?

:-P

Also, contrary to popular belief, the majority of a game's players are NOT keeping up to date on a media releases. Hardcore's, sure, average player, nope. For example, I'd have to imagine 7.5 or so million of WoW's current subscribers hadn't even heard of it yet even six months after release. Judging by the mass of posts on the forums from people saying they were flooding tech support wondering why they couldn't register their keys...I think you're in the minority for think it is perfectly acceptable. But regardless...

Was able to start registering the account at about 12:45 am, aside from a couple page crashes it went off pretty much without a hitch. Played for a couple hours, going to stick with a Shaman for now since I've been playing MMOs 15 years and haven't so much as hardly tried a healer class, might as well try something new now. So far, so good....

10. Re: You didn't read the media releases... Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Paranoid Jack

John, please, read the media release(s) again. 12:01 AM is not the official launch time... and the standard edition pre-order also gave you early access. I guess you weren't paying as much attention as you thought.

Like I said this has been done before. Release the game a day early so the masses can pick up a copy (or have the over-night shipped to them), install two DVDs of gaming goodness, and then update their client to be ready for the mourning of the official launch.

I just don't understand all the angst when the info has been out there for weeks if not months. Either way I hope you have fun.

9. Re: You didn't read the media releases... Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 JohnBirshire

It has nothing whatsoever to do with me "not interested" in playing early. If I wanted to log in early, I would have bought the CE. Besides, I already had someone reserve all 6 character names I wanted anyways. Also, I've been following development since the game was announced, it isn't as if I was simply ignorant of the details.

It is just the pure nature of the scenario...if you are going to release an online only game for purchase at stores...the servers should already be live. Period. All those points you made are simply irrelevant.

edit
Oh, and it is after 12:01 am, when they were supposedly ready to go live...but my key still says "not ready yet". Look...already late. :-P
This comment was edited on Sep 18, 00:02.

8. You didn't read the media releases... Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Paranoid Jack

John, it's only been put out to the media repeatedly over the past two months. Pre-Order either version get into the Beta/Early Access. Servers go live on Thursday but the game will be on sale a day before. Been done before. Nothing new. Is it a bit of a let down? Sure, if you didn't prepare or couldn't get a pre-order... but in no way was anyone mislead.

Also the pre-order cards handed out at most retailers and e-mailed from Internet stores were a limited supply. Again, if you were at all interested you most likely read it but didn't act.

Not a problem... the game will still be there for you tomorrow mourning.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 23:46.

7. Fact check please Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Kxmode

EA is responsible, certainly, for one of the most important MMOs of all time, and that was Ultima [Online].

Um... actually that was Origin Systems. The only thing EA really did was publish Ultima Online. Way to go Jerkface...

Edit: I almost missed the part where "[Online]" had to be added. It's like EA doesn't even know which Ultima is the MMO.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
DRM needs to die... now
This comment was edited on Sep 17, 22:53.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

6. You know what else is stupid? Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 JohnBirshire

Having your online game for sale in stores on Tuesday and Wednesday, being purchased by 100,000s of thousands of people at home frantically trying to log on and start playing, but can't because THEY DIDN'T MAKE THE SERVERS LIVE YET unless you pre-ordered or bought the collector's edition. *smacks head against brick wall*

They are pissing people off tremendously before they even log on for the first time.

First impression...fail.

5. No subjsect Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 g_mann

This sounds like something Overon would say

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 20:54.

4. Whoa whoa whoa whoa, hold on here... Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 JohnBirshire

EA was responsible for UO?

What?!

Do any of these people have any idea whatsoever what they are talking about?

3. Re: Crappy practices Sep 17, 2008, 23:28 Muscular Beaver

Haha, I knew that would happen.

Anyway, he forgot to mention that EA drove UO into the sand.

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

2. Re: Crappy practices Sep 17, 2008, 22:55 DG

Methinks the word "defamation" came up in a meeting today

1. Crappy practices Sep 17, 2008, 22:23 Vindicus

I pre-ordered WAR and totally missed out on the well advertised open beta and other pre-order bonuses because the advertised retailer never got the pre-order boxes with all the goodies. I don't blame Mythic, I blame their publisher who is responsible for getting the developers game to the shelves and promoting it with offers. I blame EA. I cancelled my order because what is the point of me putting down my hard earned cash for an offer I'd never receive. That and if you ask most people, EA drove UO into the toilet. I'm not happy with them and it's too bad the developers have to make excuses and defend them.

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >