I've got a Samsung and a Plextor drive. Neither of which have ever failed to read anything, although I do think the Plextor drive might be dying as its refusing to burn anything.
In any case, I've played it for a bit, opening level only. Here's some first thoughts :
- It's definitely optimized. I'm running it at 1680x1050 with everything set to Enthusiast (highest level) and it runs smoothly. Though I do have a pretty hefty machine, Quad core @ 3Ghz, 4 Gig and an 8800GT. It feels like it's running better than Crysis, although the original Crysis runs fine on my machine as well, especially with the CUDAATS mod.
- That optimization is easily traced, however. There is some HEAVY Automatic Quality Control going on. I constantly see textures blurring before they are swapped out for the sharper textures. Also, the textures simply are not comparable to the Crysis ones. The ones in Crysis looked FAR better, imo, especially on the ramshackle huts. So while the game is faster, it's also less pretty.
- Enemy AI so far seems a bit better. If you kill a dude with a silenced gun, the other guys around him now run for cover, they don't just stand around blindly staring off into space. I also haven't come across an AI that's just walking into a mountain yet, or one that's completely oblivious to your presence. Though again, I've only played the first level.
I haven't noticed much teamwork yet or anything of the kind. If I shoot one guy out of three and hide behind a big rock, both remaining enemies will come around the rock single file, from the same side, rather than splitting up, for example.
They do seem a lot better at figuring out where you're shooting from. I kill a guy now, and the others run straight at me, rather than turn around and show me their backs to shoot.
- Weapons do a lot more damage, especially your SCAR. A single burst now drops an enemy.
- Cars seem to drive more smoothly, but that might just be me.
- The new rapid fire pistol is a good weapon.
- Auto Ammo pickup is a stupid option, though fortunately it doesn't exist in Delta.
- A LOT more scripted stuff going on. I'm fairly ambivalent about that. It's not on the level of a Call of Duty, which is a shame, and it seems to interfere with the whole open sandbox map idea. This might change in later levels.
So far, it seems pretty good.