Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

id on Rage Sequels and QUAKE's "Identity Crisis"

id Software Talks Rage, Game Narrative on IGN recaps a talk by Tim Willits at the Austin Game Developers Conference where the id Software creative director discussed game narrative, making jokes himself that id is not the first company one would associate with this topic. He suggests that the story as presented in the game is only part of its narrative, but it also involves the gameplay experiences of the user, using DOOM as an example, saying if a user wrote down all their experiences playing DOOM and their reactions to the game: "…it would be a great story. And that is from a game that many people would say had a very bad narrative. The paper story is only one part of the videogame story." He also discusses Rage, making it clear they consider their action/driving game a franchise in mentioning how sequels might be named, describing how the Rage story will play out, and how creating a multiplatform game presents storytelling challenges as id strive to appeal to a wider audience. He also discusses how audience preconceptions and expectations are also elements of storytelling, offering a very frank assessment of how QUAKE fell short in this area: "Quake I was so much different than Quake II. When we were developing Quake II, we wanted to call it something else, but we couldn't find a name, our lawyers told us all the names we picked were already taken, it was extremely difficult to find a name, and we just wound up calling it Quake II. When people played Quake II they were so confused. They had such a preconception about what the franchise was that when they got to this game they had to overcome so much that the experience and story that we wanted to tell was actually hampered. Then, in our infinite wisdom, we made Quake III, which was completely backwards and we failed in that concept again. Even to this day the Quake series suffers from an identity crisis."
View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. No subject Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 aldo_14

So what is the story in Rage? As Willits explained things, in the near future it's learned that a comet will smash into the Earth and destroy all life. An ark system is set up so people can take refuge below ground and emerge when it's safe, and when they come back to the surface, they discover not all life was wiped out. The player is then tasked with figuring out exactly what is going on in this unexpected, generally lawless society.

This setup, of course, being nothing atall like any forthcoming (or existing) FPS-cum-RPG games. And I'm sure if you suggested it to Tim, he'd fall out with you.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: No subject Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 MeanJim

Some of you might call me old. I tell you go play some Doom2 multiplayer, and then try playing another deathmatch game. Go on, I dare you.

I have, I couldn't get used to it. I kept trying to look up and down.

I met a lot of my good friends due to Doom2. Before we had internet, there was a local BBS where we'd post messages to find people to play some deathmatch. Eventually it built up to us getting together having 4 player LAN parties. One friend and I used to play Doom2 coop from start to finish. When we got bored, it would turn into deathmatch for a bit, but we'd get back to coop play after a while.

Honestly, as a game, I think Quake 1 and Quake 2 were crap. Quake 1 was still cool because it was the first true 3D environment and looked awesome, but the single player portion of the game was crap. If it wasn't for the kick assness (is that a word?) of the multiplayer, that game wouldn't have been what it was. Quake wasn't planned to be a multiplayer game, they just got lucky.

Our small 4 player LAN parties with Doom2, then Duke 3D, eventually grew into 20+ people showing up every weekend to play some Quake. Mods were the best thing to happen to Quake because deathmatch got old quick. Quake 2 came out, with shitty single player as well. We didn't even begin playing it at the LAN parties until some good mods came out for the multiplayer.

Quake 2 was the last id game I ever bought and played.

MeanJim on Steam

11. Re: ... Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Halo

I was addicted to Action Quake 2, Digital Paint 2 (still play it) and Q1 Rocket Arena impact only.

10. Re: ... Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Fion

Nah Quake 2 was their best game. To this day NOTHING beats classic Quake 2 3W CTF or Lithium 2.

Though Q1 Rocket Arena does come close.

And I did have many wonderful years of Q3 LAN play.. lots of fun with that game.

Hell I enjoy every single Id game, and think it's well worth it if you got a decent rig at the time. But Q2 multiplayer was second to none.

9. ... Sep 17, 2008, 20:51 theyarecomingforyou

Quake II was a classic, especially for the multiplayer side of things - it was also a huge leap in graphics technology. It was Quake III that lost it for them a bit as Unreal Tournament was simply more on the pulse of gaming and have better technical features (texture compression, larger environments - only thing QIII did better was curved surfaces).

Doom III and Quake IV were simply average game. Doom III: Resurrection Of Evil was slightly better, though that was only because they basically ripped off the gravity gun from Half-Life 2.

Rage should be interesting, as it will show us if id has finally got its touch back - the graphics technology looks impressive (much more so than Quake III or Doom 3 for the time) and they're actually taking a new approach. I'm still pessimistic about the overall outcome but we'll see.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

8700K @ 4.9GHz / Kraken X62 / 32GB DDR4
GTX 1080 Ti OC / Optane 900P

8. No subject Sep 17, 2008, 19:57 DangerDog

Check with lawyers? I'd start with the web and see if that domain name is already taken.

clownpenis.fart the game

7. Re: No subject Sep 17, 2008, 19:49 Mr. Tact

Carmack and Infinity Ward... if they had started out together...  

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

6. Re: No subject Sep 17, 2008, 19:08 The Half Elf

But the thing is, without Carmack the company would be nothing.

Too bad there isn't a 'What If?' button and seen what would have happened, if the guys from Raven had been around with Carmack when it all first started.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

5. No subject Sep 17, 2008, 18:46 dryden555

Hey ID, Call a game whatever you want but make it better than Doom 3 please.

4. My idea of Quake Sep 17, 2008, 18:17 Brian

I agree with InBlack: Doom1, Doom2, and Quake1 were pretty much the pinnacle of id. I'd rather see Quake return to its roots. The whole Strogg thing was well and good, but calling it "Quake" effectively eclipsed the feel and aesthetic that (for me) made the original Quake so engaging. Quake should, in my mind, be less about sci-fi and more about gritty techno-gothic horror, with periods of apprehension interspersed with sudden moments of frenetic, stark-raving terror.

3. Re: No subject Sep 17, 2008, 17:58 LittleMe

/Nods to InBlack. Three of the best FPS games ever..

Perpetual debt is slavery.

2. Re: No subject Sep 17, 2008, 17:05 Kajetan

I have great admiration and respect for the id team. Based on 3 games alone. Doom1, Doom2, and Quake1.

And how many people from these games are still with id? John Carmack? And he does only tech.

1. No subject Sep 17, 2008, 16:56 InBlack

I have great admiration and respect for the id team. Based on 3 games alone. Doom1, Doom2, and Quake1.

Some of you might call me old. I tell you go play some Doom2 multiplayer, and then try playing another deathmatch game. Go on, I dare you.

www.zdaemon.org

I have a nifty blue line!

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >