Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Spore DRM Post of the Day

MTV Multiplayer contacted Electronic Arts to follow up on four major complaints about the SecuROM digital rights management in Spore; that it is limited to installation on three computers, that the DRM has some sort of spyware functionality, that only one Spore account can be created in spite of the manual saying otherwise, and the need for authentication every time online features are used leaves users vulnerable if those services are ever shut down. EA once again categorically states that Spore contains no spyware or malware (though they've found virus-infected copies on torrents) and repeats the explanation that manual was in error about being able to create multiple accounts (story). They also promise to patch the game to eliminate online authentication if they ever take the authentication servers offline and state they plan to release a patch in the "near future" to allow a game installations to be de-authorized so authorizations can be freed up to install the game on other machines. Perhaps most interesting are the questions that went unanswered, as EA declined to comment on their view of the legitimacy of these complaints about the DRM and if the DRM being handled differently for Red Alert 3 (story) signals their policies are shifting on this issue.
View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: No subject Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 MeanJim

I'll admit that during my college years I pirated a few games and music, but it's not like they lost a sale since I couldn't afford to buy it anyway. Now that I can afford it, I haven't pirated a game or movie since, and I've actually gone out and bought the CD's of the music I copied from friends, at least the stuff I still listen to.

I'm not buying any game with DRM, no matter how bad I want it. The two games I'm most looking forward to this year are Left4Dead and GTA IV. If either or both are infected with DRM I will not buy it.

When is the movie, music and gaming industry going to realize treating customers like criminals is bad for business. Imagine if a retail store treated everyone like a thief when they walked in the door, they'd go out of business real quick.

I do not pirate any games, music, or videos/movies.
Neither do I. But I have to say, after recently being forced to watch a 60 second "downloading movies is a crime" commercial on a DVD which I could not menu out of... I was deeply tempted to immediately go to Pirate Bay and download every f'ing movie available from that studio.

I know the commercial. I've only had a few that wouldn't let you use the skip chapter or menu button, but I've never seen one that you can't fast forward through. If I ever find one, I will eject the movie and smash the DVD into little bits.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: No subject Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Kxmode

I will not buy a game that i can only install 3 times theyve lost millions of sales thanks to EA's stupidity.

In the world of science this is what is known as a logical paradox. WTFG EA.

Edit: added the "F" to "WTG" for added emphasis
-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
DRM needs to die... now
This comment was edited on Sep 18, 03:17.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

14. Re: No subject Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Dave_b

I have the game legit, and I don't give an frak about the DRM. You know what's great about it? You don't need the DVD in the drive to load up the game. That has always been the largest (non-economic) advantage of torrented disk images - not having to do the disk shuffle constantly. If DRM eliminates that then super. The number of games I've installed more than 3 times in my life I can count of one hand, and if EA are to be believed, they're going to nix the DRM once they've made sure they've milked it for its prime selling period. Great game.

13. Re: No subject Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Talisorn

I can stand DRM so long as it is something relatively benign and doesn't affect me (as a law-abiding, software-purchasing consumer). I do not pirate any games, music, or videos/movies. If I want something then I buy it, if I cannot afford it or find it or don't like the DRM then I move on with my life.
I agree. If they provide a system that allows the user to free up the computer from limited authorisations, I don't have a problem with that. What I do have a problem with is the inability to create multiple accounts which limits the opportunity for resale at a later stage.

As for Kanniballl's other points, it's exactly the reason I've avoided anything with Starforce. That DRM did affect the stability of my PC and did ruin at least two optical drives at the time.

12. Re: No subject Sep 18, 2008, 00:01 Prez

I would LOVE to know how many sales EA lost with their asinine DRM and moronically limiting each license to one account.

Since so many publishers and developers can pull a bunch of numbers out of their asses to support their piracy claims without being pressed for sources, I feel that I am authorized to make up a number. I'll say EA lost a good 500,000 sales because of their stupidity.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

11. No subject Sep 17, 2008, 22:38 Jackplug

I was about to buy this, as for now they have no chance. I will not buy a game that i can only install 3 times theyve lost millions of sales thanks to EA's stupidity.

I wont pay for a game that i might have to patch it so i can install it, when ive forked out £40 of my well earned money.

10. No subject Sep 17, 2008, 22:33 Hump

And how does EA define "near future"? 5 years? 10?

I beleive the logic for these things is to remove the more onerous aspects of the DRM once the game has passed its peak sales period.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

9. No subject Sep 17, 2008, 20:08 DangerDog

And how does EA define "near future"? 5 years? 10?

Crytek is trying to slide by on the controversy over DRM being in Crysis Warhead, they’re making this big deal out of holding off on addressing this issue. They’re going to come out with some PR double speak about the DRM 3 activation limit not being that bad.

8. Damage Control Sep 17, 2008, 18:56 Kxmode

EA continues to stand firmly by their asinine copy protection. What a bunch of choads.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
DRM needs to die... now

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

7. Re: No subject Sep 17, 2008, 17:24 MindStalkerReturned

No, its that multiple accounts would be to taxing on their servers.

Despite only one account can connect at any one time and the actual amount of info sent to servers is very tiny.

6. Re: No subject Sep 17, 2008, 16:41 Kajetan

But the "error" about not being able to create multiple accounts is still a dealbreaker for me.

Haven't you heard EA? You dont need that feature, because EA's research found out, that households are needing only one account.

5. No subject Sep 17, 2008, 16:36 KezClone

That's some progress. But the "error" about not being able to create multiple accounts is still a dealbreaker for me. My daughter (age 5) and I had tremendous fun together with the Creature Creator. She's a little gamer--plays lots of games from GameTap. It would have been really nice to be able to set up an account for her to play in without affecting my account/game.  

4. Re: No subject Sep 17, 2008, 16:26 Mr. Tact

I do not pirate any games, music, or videos/movies.
Neither do I. But I have to say, after recently being forced to watch a 60 second "downloading movies is a crime" commercial on a DVD which I could not menu out of... I was deeply tempted to immediately go to Pirate Bay and download every f'ing movie available from that studio.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

3. Re: No subject Sep 17, 2008, 16:16 kanniballl

I can stand DRM so long as it is something relatively benign and doesn't affect me (as a law-abiding, software-purchasing consumer). I do not pirate any games, music, or videos/movies. If I want something then I buy it, if I cannot afford it or find it or don't like the DRM then I move on with my life.

I'll skip a game if it has DRM and does the following:
  • Installs a rootkit, overrides some system drivers, or anything else that appears to affect the PC outside of the game.

• Installs adware or malware

• Tends to destabilize systems (usually due to one of the above).

• Limits my installs as I reformat/re-install often on Windows and would at LEAST want a reliable de-auth tool.

• In any case, I've skipped some games in the past because of DRM or went the console-route for the game like I did for BioShock.

Steam is relatively benign to me hasn't bothered me much. I'll admit I'm not thrilled at some of the statistics it can collect, namely how long you spent on a level or your play statistics. When they started releasing that I did a double-take.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 10:20.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama

2. Re: No subject Sep 17, 2008, 15:50 InBlack

2,164 1 star reviews on amazon.com for this game, and counting.

I have a nifty blue line!

1. No subject Sep 17, 2008, 15:44 StaTik

DRM = no sale

Keep the heat on these fools don't let them worm away without answering for this DRM stuff. If we let it go now we will be dealing with it forever. They can hide behind there canned email and 1-888 script "techs" all they want but we still own the internet. Post, blog, and download there asses into submission.

-Steps off soap box

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 ] Older >