Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Rumor: Valve & Google?

The INQUIRER cites "well placed sources" saying Google is going to be buying Valve "any second now." This is speculation from a site that specializes in such, but Edge Online has picked up the story from them, so this will spread. According to INQ's well placed source the crux of such a deal would be Google's lust for Valve's Steam as a mature content delivery service. It was just last month that Gabe Newell said Valve said Valve is approached "a couple of times a week" by potential acquirers or investors but they are "super-happy" as an independent (story). We've contacted Valve for comment, but it's still before dawn on the west coast. Update: The story has also been picked up by MCV, who also report Google refuses to rule out Valve takeover, though actually they simply refused to comment on the rumor.
View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Google... Sep 18, 2008, 14:46 Krovven

You're fatalistic, and to some extent yuu're an opportunist.

Christ you are an idiot. I dont agree with what you are saying and if you think anything I posted supports your point of view then your comprehension skills are sorely lacking.

Because you seem to be downright retarded, and probably one of the daily trolls using another account just looking for an argument to twist around, I'll spell it out for you.

If I/we boycotted every company that did dealings overseas and customized their products with China, or any other country that had questionable governments then we wouldn't even have computers to be typing this on, let alone many other products. I question the practices of the US government, Japanese government and my own Canadian government. Does that mean I should stop using Microsoft, Adobe, Corel and Sony products too? Hell that would put me out of a job and I'd never be able to play another game either.

None of this has anything to do with Google looking to expand into in-game ads or even game development.

----------------------------------------------------
Trackmania United Forever, Bionic Commando Rearmed, GRID

PSN= Puscifer73 Trackmania= puscifer604
"Blues News" Steam Community... http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Google... Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 everyone

@Dagok

Everything you posted actually supported my point of view.

You're fatalistic, and to some extent yuu're an opportunist. Everything you say is: Things are what they are, so let's make money out of it and don't care about anything else. Which means: Not my point of view is what actually ruins democracy - yours is.

Supporting corporates that support dictator means indirect support for the bad guys. You want to change something? Don't give your money to those who make good deals with the baddies. Sounds too simple? IT'S THAT SIMPLE! Vote with your wallet. It's been written here very often, when it comes to game publishers who don't care about their customers. Just do the same with companies who work with/for those who give a damn about freedom, liberty, democracy. You'll see - it works! That's democracy - if the people take their money from companies supporting the baddies ind roves, those companies will change their politics. It's the customers, that can change coroporate greed. It's you. It's me. Don't look for politicians or the suits in the companies - it's all about us, not them.

And your fatalistic approach to the world we live in is what leads to wars. To the end of all reason. You support those who make deals and agreements with dictators (Saddam Hussein e.g. - the Bushs did this, as you wrote), and this way one day you'll have to bomb Saddam & Co. "out of business". Lots of people gonna die on both sides.

Isolate them. Don't allow them to invest into your companies. Don't make deals with them. Financially starve them. And then, find a way to support the people who live under dictators. Don't bomb their homes - give them access to free information, Coca Cola, give them an uncensored "The Dark Knight" in cinemas, show them, what could be possible without the dictator(s). And this will pave the way to a change. The only "change you can believe in". ;)Google is the complete difference: they actively help e.g. China with censorship in their country. Boo! for this.

And you should know that the fate of THE global player nowadays (which is China, not the US, not Europe, not Russia) DOES have a significant influence on you (personally). China has the biggest influence on world economy and ecology nowadays - saying that you don't care about and don't believe this is, sorry for putting it this way, ignorant, and a bit naive. (See, I could write all of this without using "moronic", etc. I must have been right on target to make you use insults instead of arguments.)

Democracy dies if everybody stands aside, shrugs shoulders and says "Go help yourself. None of my business."

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 02:17.

35. Re: Google... Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Kxmode

Valgle
Goolve

No. no. Those won't work.

Although, from a 5th-century Scandinavian lore aspect it would be cool.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
DRM needs to die... now

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

34. Re: Google... Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Boston

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 20:07.

33. No subject Sep 18, 2008, 00:08 dryden555

Gabe Newell will take the cash, as anyone would, especially with him in his 40-50's. Then he'll work there one more year and retire.

32. Re: Google... Sep 17, 2008, 23:21 Krovven

Right, so let's support them and their censorship of internet contents! This will definitely lead to a change... Oh, wait - no, it won't.

Again, what does this have to do with China's politics? Supporting Google does not mean supporting China's government structure. I'm far far more concerned about the United States foreign policies than I am about China censoring their population, especially when it has absolutely nothing to do with me or where I live.

Great reasoning! I wonder what would have happened if the US economy would have supported wealthy Hitler in the 2nd World War...Man, do you know what you're writing?

Do you? Moronic analogy. Warmongering mass-murdering psychopath vs internet censorship in China vs Google hypothetically buying a game company...yea very related.
Need I remind you that the United States didn't officially get involved in the war until 2 years after it began, they wanted nothing to do with it until it hit their own shores.

How about the US being in business with Iraq 25 years ago...when it suited them.

It's okay to support dictators, as long as you earn money by doing so?! OH MY GOD!

Yea because Democracy has been working so well for other parts of the world. Lets just invade any country that isn't a democracy, because that went over great in Korea, Vietnam and Iraq. People like you are the reason Democracy doesn't work very well.

It shows Google is putting its struggle for more information/power above everything else.

Wake up and walk into the real world. It has ALWAYS been about the struggle for information and power. It's not something new to the internet.

Google customizing their products for specific regions, whether it be China, the US, Europe, etc, should be the least of your concerns. And it has fuck all to do with a game company that may or may not be sold.

31. Re: No subject Sep 17, 2008, 23:11 DG

Stop speculating commenting like your opinions matter, they don't. You are consumers, your voice does not matter, you are a number.
It's called "discussion". Your participation is not required.

30. Re: Google... Sep 17, 2008, 22:09 everyone

a) China doesnt have a democratic government.

Right, so let's support them and their censorship of internet contents! This will definitely lead to a change... Oh, wait - no, it won't.

b) Google is working with them in order to keep their products in China. If they do not work with them, then anything Google will just be blocked from being accessed anyways. Google then loses customers and money.

Great reasoning! I wonder what would have happened if the US economy would have supported wealthy Hitler in the 2nd World War, instead of supporting the then poor Russia (not much money to be made)... Man, do you know what you're writing? It's okay to support dictators, as long as you earn money by doing so?! OH MY GOD!

c) What does China's politics have to do with Google hypothetically purchasing Valve? Nothing.

It does. It shows Google is putting its struggle for more information/power above everything else. So it's important to be not affiliated to Google. At least to those who think that democracy and freedom of speech are more important than (corporate) greed.

How is that different than any other company? Every time you register for something online, buy something online, create an account for a website...all of those companies are taking your information and using it, one way or another. Specifically bitching about Google doing it is just silly.

It's not since they get MUCH more information about all users if they can get their fingers into a broad variety of products. Use their browser, search via Google, mark your home and those of friends in Google Earth, maybe use their software on your mobile, watch a video clip on YouTube (Google!) next you'll give them information on what you play, then you'll have Google TV, and so on.

So it's not a company that receives information on a certain topic, but they more or less get information on EVERYTHING about you. That's the biggest imaginable difference.

I wish I was a native English speaker/writer. It's pretty hard to put my thoughts exactly in the right words. But I hope I could make my point clear.

And I think that it's actually silly to NOT think about this information web the spider Google is working on. It's not only about giving you the info you asked for, but it's also about "memorizing" the info you asked for and putting it into context with all the other information they got about you. (Or is it information ON you?)

And that is where they are much more dangerous than e.g. Microsoft. They resemble the FBI and others in the times after the Patriot Act.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 16:19.

29. Re: Google... Sep 17, 2008, 21:24 Krovven

you DO know that Google is working with the Chinese government on censorship, don't you? Of course, all this is in the interest of the Chinese people. Of democracy. Free speach. Free information.

a) China doesnt have a democratic government.

b) Google is working with them in order to keep their products in China. If they do not work with them, then anything Google will just be blocked from being accessed anyways. Google then loses customers and money.

c) What does China's politics have to do with Google hypothetically purchasing Valve? Nothing.

To give us only the interesting banners, and so on. They're not interested in money, and definitely not in getting as much information (and, thus, power) as possible.

Yeah, sure...

How is that different than any other company? Every time you register for something online, buy something online, create an account for a website...all of those companies are taking your information and using it, one way or another. Specifically bitching about Google doing it is just silly.

So far I've been very happy with Googles products & services...and they are FREE. So if they need to generate ad revenue to make money off of all the free products & services we use, who are you to criticize?

You vilify Google for wanting to make money and sell ads...yet Valve sells ad space in CS 1.6 and have advertisments within the Steam program, this is on top of charging for the products.

28. Re: Whoa Sep 17, 2008, 20:56 the_culture

I hope this ain't true.

http://www.gameplaymonthly.com/?p=2698

27. Google... Sep 17, 2008, 20:34 everyone

Google is NOT evil, but Microsoft is? You're giving MORE data away to Google than to Microsoft. Google is fetching as much data as possible - and keeps it. Observes your behavior, uses it to influence you. Plus: Chrome sends more data to Google than (the nevertheless lousy) Internet Explorer sens to Microsoft.

Use Google search bar, Chrome, Google Earth, and so on, and you'll have the biggest and "Big Brother"-like monopoly.

Of course, I am paranoid. Google is nice, they're doing all of this to help us. To give us only the interesting banners, and so on. They're not interested in money, and definitely not in getting as much information (and, thus, power) as possible.

Yeah, sure...

So, Valve - don't spread your legs for Google.

Edit: By the way - you DO know that Google is working with the Chinese government on censorship, don't you? Of course, all this is in the interest of the Chinese people. Of democracy. Free speach. Free information.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 14:36.

26. Re: No subject Sep 17, 2008, 20:27 Krovven

ie: Last week Microsoft denied any price reductions for the 360 in the UK. This week, they confirmed the price reductions.

99 times out out of 100 a company is going to deny or simply issue a no comment when it comes to rumors of this nature, whether the rumor is true or false.

25. Re: No subject Sep 17, 2008, 20:13 Wowbagger_TIP

Front page on Kotaku states that valve smashed the rumor.
Umm.. denying these claims, even if they're true, is pretty much standard operating procedure for corporations. They always deny it until they're ready to announce it themselves. I'm not saying that it's true. Just that a denial doesn't mean much.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

24. No subject Sep 17, 2008, 19:23 Jackal

Front page on Kotaku states that valve smashed the rumor.

Stop speculating commenting like your opinions matter, they don't. You are consumers, your voice does not matter, you are a number.

Enjoy waiting for the next set of news to comment, because you are that f'in eager to feel important

23. Re: Whoa Sep 17, 2008, 19:00 DG

FWIW I think it's far more likely Google would want to buy not Valve, but just Steam.

While Google does seem to be a inconsistent on the things they do, making full-on games is well outside of their core competencies. There is no point buying a company unless either you have much greater expectations of the market than the current owners (i.e. you value it higher than they do), or you can bring something to significantly improve it. How can Google really expect to do better?

Steam is another story. Google already has the infrastructure and can be much more efficient. Google has the resources to make better use of it - they could plausably adapt it into a full on competitor to iTunes (though more on the movie side than music, I expect).

Personally I'm happy with Steam and it changing hands gives me cause for concern. These day's I'm far from convinced by Google's supposed commitment to "do no harm", but then it's better than any plausible alternatives I can think of (EA? MS? A retailer?). Google is IMO also the best bet for nurturing it as a "rising star" rather than pumping it as a "cash cow". At some point online distribution is going to hit the tipping point where publishers care more about it than they do retail. Reliance on retail is holding back a lot of natural change in the industry imo.

Back onto my original point, also buying Steam but not Valve could make Steam even more palatable to other publishers, nonone wants to be paying money and putting a big amount of trust into someone who also acts as a direct competitor.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 13:04.

22. ... Sep 17, 2008, 18:53 theyarecomingforyou

If this means that Steam will stop using damn IE and use Google's Chrome instead, I'd be happy
+1The latest update to the Steam client has messed it up more than before, as now I can't scroll down until the page has fully loaded. It's actually going backwards.

So, to you it would be better to go from a somewhat stable browser to a completely buggy one that will be in perpetual beta?
Chrome is based on Webkit, which is more progressive than Firefox - it already passes Acid3 and has far superior standards support. Chrome uses an older version but will no doubt incorporate most of the improvements at a later date (when the technology is more polished). I still use Firefox but Webkit is the future. It's no surprise that the latest version of Adobe products are migrating to it. Also, 'completely buggy' is rubbish - it has some issues but is pretty amazing for a first release... I just hope they update it regularly, otherwise it will never take off.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

8700K @ 4.9GHz / Kraken X62 / 32GB DDR4
GTX 1080 Ti OC / Optane 900P

21. Re: cool Sep 17, 2008, 18:27 Rosco

I use it every day, and it works perfectly for me.  

Consoles are schwag.

20. Re: cool Sep 17, 2008, 18:16 Boston

I guess you don't use steam. IE7 + steam is a baaaad combination man

19. Re: cool Sep 17, 2008, 18:02 Rosco

If this means that Steam will stop using damn IE and use Google's Chrome instead, I'd be happy

So, to you it would be better to go from a somewhat stable browser to a completely buggy one that will be in perpetual beta?

No f$cking thanks! Firefox would be a superior choice. Heck, anything would be a superior choice compared to the alpha release of Chrome. IE 5 would be a better choice then Chrome right now in its current status.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 12:06.

Consoles are schwag.

18. cool Sep 17, 2008, 17:40 Boston

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >