Spore

Yes, just Spore. 'Spore' is Will Wright's latest game-changer on MSNBC.com. Also, Exclusive How to Build a Better Being Preview has the first ten minutes of a program on Spore that will air on the National Geographic Channel tomorrow. Meanwhile, Art Imitates Life- Long-Awaited Spore Video Game Based on Real Scientific Research. Finally, Spore Spurns Older Macbooks.
View : : :
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

*eye roll*
Sep 9, 2008, 16:36
*eye roll* Sep 9, 2008, 16:36
Sep 9, 2008, 16:36

I bought the game. It works. If I run out of installs, and the evil EA Empire says I can't have more installs, I will grab the crack. End of story for me.

I seriously doubt EA is going to be stingy with extra installs of your product. They can see the code that's being used, and they have an idea if it's one that was just installed 50 times in Russia last week. I'm confident that those who are honest will be able to install the game until EA doesn't care anymore, at which time they'll issue a patch.

Game rocks. I'm on my third time through... Not sure what the heck people are smoking that aren't liking it. I guess they just have very different tastes from me... *shrug*
Elye...

Re: No subject
Sep 9, 2008, 13:55
Re: No subject Sep 9, 2008, 13:55
Sep 9, 2008, 13:55

Oh noes, my computer is out of control; it's going to slit my throat while I'm sleeping.

No subject
Sep 9, 2008, 10:46
No subject Sep 9, 2008, 10:46
Sep 9, 2008, 10:46

No kidding--the Securom virus bypasses any and all security settings you have on your computer. It does what it wants to do, not what you allow it to do.
tapes 'n' tapes

Scratches head
Sep 9, 2008, 09:36
Scratches head Sep 9, 2008, 09:36
Sep 9, 2008, 09:36

Most people seem pretty computer savy here, yet I am aghast at how lightly you treat installing a virus on your computer that you cannot remove. That is exactly what the DRM is that installs on your PC for spore.

It is like how clueless can you be?

No subject
Sep 9, 2008, 09:22
No subject Sep 9, 2008, 09:22
Sep 9, 2008, 09:22

This is an interesting test for Amazon: will they dump all of the reviews or not? I'm sure the Amazon suits are sitting around a table talking about it today.

Sep 9, 2008, 08:35
Re: No subject Sep 9, 2008, 08:35
Sep 9, 2008, 08:35

Technically Windows XP and Vista has DRM and I've reinstalled XP so many times that I typically have to call and re-get my code, but my only complaint with that is the people I have to talk to don't speak english as a first language. But I don't see legions of people bitching about it.

The issue is Microsoft has a policy that allows you to call in to request extra activations, and they are fairly forgiving about it. While many people will tell you that EA and similar companies are not forgiving about additional activations for their games. Most of the time they will just tell you go buy the game again, (you filthy pirate).

Sep 9, 2008, 04:44
Re: No subject Sep 9, 2008, 04:44
Sep 9, 2008, 04:44

cliffski then I have to ask, if you didn't finish Bioshock or Half Life 2, wtf do you play?

But I have to ask, I have no issues with the DRM (yet I'm thankful it's not that Russian DRM that I can't remember the name of) but isn't it sorta cherry picking that your only allowed 3 installs, but not mentioning that you get 1 back every time you uninstall the game?

Technically Windows XP and Vista has DRM and I've reinstalled XP so many times that I typically have to call and re-get my code, but my only complaint with that is the people I have to talk to don't speak english as a first language. But I don't see legions of people bitching about it.

Sep 9, 2008, 04:32
Re: No subject Sep 9, 2008, 04:32
Sep 9, 2008, 04:32

probably because 99% of buyers don't reformat their PC, and tire of a game after a few months. I only installed bioshock once, never finished it, ditto half life 2. It really doesn't bother me that installs are limited, until you call the publisher.
I understand why this annoys *some* customers, but those who argue about it the most need to realise they are a tiny minority of gamers, even if they are a majority of people who spend all their time posting on digg.

Sep 9, 2008, 03:40
Re: No subject Sep 9, 2008, 03:40
Sep 9, 2008, 03:40

I'm pretty sure uninstalling the game restores an activation. At least, that's how it'll work with RA3, which also uses Securom.

Either way, it's pretty pointless for EA to keep using this protection scheme. It's been cracked. Defeated. Broken. Both Spore and Mercenaries 2 were released before the game even showed up on U.S. shelves. No 0-day piracy protection there. Securom needs to, once again, go back to the drawing board and think of another way to foil pirates. As it stands, the current iteration of Securom is completely and utterly worthless, serving only to impose restrictive limits on genuine customers.

No subject
Sep 9, 2008, 00:27
No subject Sep 9, 2008, 00:27
Sep 9, 2008, 00:27

All those people have VALID complaints. DRM is a HUGE reason not to buy Spore, and for many the ONLY reason they haven't yet. Just ask nin.

I am having trouble wrapping my head around why someone would pay $50 for 3 activations. It's possible they'll remove that stuff later but why is anything with 3 activations worth $50?

There shouldn't be any activation limit. It's something I'd constantly be worrying about, do I really want to use an install on this computer? I bought the game. I bought the game and I'm worried about being able to use it? ...makes no sense.

Sep 8, 2008, 23:46
Kxmode

Re: No subject Sep 8, 2008, 23:46
Sep 8, 2008, 23:46
 Kxmode

You're probably right but I'm being serious Bats. Of course I'm not condoning flat-out piracy but it seems like this would be perfectly legal. but I don't know. Not that it matters... my system is fraked.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
DRM needs to die... now
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

I'm not buying it..
Sep 8, 2008, 23:41
I'm not buying it.. Sep 8, 2008, 23:41
Sep 8, 2008, 23:41

...and I'm not pirating it. I feel sorry for Will Wright because I think in the long run his rep may take a hit from this fiasco. The game isn't what it could have been, and the DRM is a dealkiller.
------
Carpe Papilla

"@Dreagon - Comparing Oblivion to Deer Hunter was just ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself... it just made you look like a Class-A cunt." - theyarecomingforyou

No subject
Sep 8, 2008, 23:38
No subject Sep 8, 2008, 23:38
Sep 8, 2008, 23:38

Come on kx - you know better than to start that stuff....I think it has been discussed ad nausea as of late...

The cause of all these evils was the lust for power arising from greed and ambition; and from these passions proceeded the violence of parties once engaged in contention.

Having fun
Sep 8, 2008, 23:22
Having fun Sep 8, 2008, 23:22
Sep 8, 2008, 23:22

Bought it, having fun with it. While I understand the concern with the DRM stuff, I won't gripe about it till it pins me in the a** one of these days.

Re: All positive...
Sep 8, 2008, 23:12
Kxmode

Re: All positive... Sep 8, 2008, 23:12
Sep 8, 2008, 23:12
 Kxmode

If a consumer buys the game then pirates it for the DRM-free version would that still be considered pirating? Just wondering...

-----
EA advocates nakedness instead of patience when dealing with problem services!
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Sep 8, 2008, 23:06
Re: All positive... Sep 8, 2008, 23:06
Sep 8, 2008, 23:06

And the absolutely, most unbelievably obvious fact is that Spore is freely available, DRM free, on torrents right now.

Say it with me, "The people that will pirate the game were going to pirate it anyway. Game companies would be better served keeping their paying customers rather than scaring them off while being completely unable to effectively fight piracy".

Piracy is an issue. We aren't talking about food here, but if you disenchant your paying customers for long enough, eventually they will stop forking over their dollars for shit and either not play or turn to illegal methods of obtaining the game.

I used to believe that most piracy is from people that would have never bought the game anyway. That belief is slowly changing. Some piracy does represent lost sales. The sales that were scared off by oppressive BS DRM.

Sep 8, 2008, 22:54
Kxmode

Re: All positive... Sep 8, 2008, 22:54
Sep 8, 2008, 22:54
 Kxmode

But don't forget all the negative backlash this game is getting as well:
http://digg.com/gaming_news/Gamers_fight_back_against_lackluster_Spore_gameplay_bad_DRM

The following is my favorite comment! Pretty much hits the nail squarely on the head!

I was going to buy a copy for myself and my girlfriend. No longer. I'm not a criminal, and I won't stand for being treated like one for no reason, plain and simple. I also convinced at least two of my friends who were less knowledgeable about DRM to not buy either. You just lost four customers, EA, and probably stopped zero pirates (or actually encouraged one or two, more likely). Congratulations on being a failure at business.

Plus, you smeared your feces all over the years of hard work from a brilliant game designer (Will Wright and co.), and basically committed fraud against consumers by not indicating the DRM policy on boxes, or the fact that this is a rented game, not a purchased one.

Doesn't get any clearer than that. But alas I gave in and bought the game. I have no scruples.

-----
This comment was edited on Sep 8, 22:56.

Sep 8, 2008, 22:46
Kxmode

Re: All positive... Sep 8, 2008, 22:46
Sep 8, 2008, 22:46
 Kxmode

The only thing they're doing is ruining Amazon's reputation, considering that they're allowing people who obviously don't own the game to write user reviews for it. I imagine that those reviews will be gone by the end of the week. Look at it this way - if Amazon allows people to review products they don't own, what does that say for every other review on the web site?

All those people have VALID complaints. DRM is a HUGE reason not to buy Spore, and for many the ONLY reason they haven't yet. Just ask nin.

-----
EA advocates nakedness instead of patience when dealing with problem services!

Sep 8, 2008, 22:36
Re: All positive... Sep 8, 2008, 22:36
Sep 8, 2008, 22:36

They have valid complaints - Spore's DRM shouldn't exist, etc. etc, - but spamming a user review section obviously isn't having any effect when the game is the top-selling game on the site.

Sure it is. Guess how many booster packs they are going to sell? Very few. This is going to be worse than the BF2 sales packs. I guarantee you they have the balls to blame piracy on lackluster booster sales....

The cause of all these evils was the lust for power arising from greed and ambition; and from these passions proceeded the violence of parties once engaged in contention.
This comment was edited on Sep 8, 22:36.

No subject
Sep 8, 2008, 22:18
No subject Sep 8, 2008, 22:18
Sep 8, 2008, 22:18

SPORE is a game-changer.

You will be quickly playing another game and feeding your boxed copy of SPORE to a garbage-eating monster.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older