Force Unleashed to PCs? LucasArts Says No

We received a statement from LucasArts regarding the possibility of a PC edition of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed referenced in the story below. While they cannot be certain what it was the Pixelux Entertainment COO said on the topic, they are unequivocal in their denial that a PC port is in the works: "I can tell you definitively that there is no PC version of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed planned."
View : : :
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: ...
Sep 13, 2008, 16:17
Re: ... Sep 13, 2008, 16:17
Sep 13, 2008, 16:17

Actually, it's a <i>crappy</i> space sim. It's a decent <i>flight</i> sim.

Space sims don't have "banking". That's an atmospheric-only thing.

Space sims don't need you to be under thrust to go at "max speed". You just increase speed as long as the thrust is on, and coast at that speed forever until you turn and put on the thrust in a different direction.

Space sims don't have a "max distance" for a shot. A laser or bomb will go on forever and, barring hitting something (or molecular decay in the case of a bomb) will continue on forever. Targeting may be an issue as it's easier to avoid the further you are -- but you'd never see a laser, traveling at the speed of light, coming anyway so you couldn't judge it. If you could see it to begin with, which you can't, because there's no air or dust in space to cause minute reflections you can see as it passes by you.

So, to sum up:

1. It has banking and turn rates tied to how fast you are going. This is air, not space.

2. Max thrust must be maintained so you're at max speed, which really shouldn't exist.

3. Max distance on weapons.

The kind of game you're advocating sounds like a ton of fun...

Creston

Re: No subject
Sep 11, 2008, 08:13
Re: No subject Sep 11, 2008, 08:13
Sep 11, 2008, 08:13

I've almost worn out Evochron Renegades (Incredible game, especially for being only 25 MB!), and Freespace is next.
I tried Evochron Renegades, but I just couldn't get into it. The X series of games are the only ones I've been able to enjoy after the death of the triple-A space sim. I'm looking forward to X3:Terran Conflict, which should be out early in October.

Sep 10, 2008, 23:34
Prez

Re: No subject Sep 10, 2008, 23:34
Sep 10, 2008, 23:34
 Prez

Cool. It took forever for the OS downloader to get all the files; I suppose it would have gone faster If I had the original games installed, but I'm lazy.

I've almost worn out Evochron Renegades (Incredible game, especially for being only 25 MB!), and Freespace is next.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Sep 10, 2008, 17:54
Re: No subject Sep 10, 2008, 17:54
Sep 10, 2008, 17:54

Can Freespace OS be played well with a mouse?
I'm doing pretty well. I played through Freespace 1 and the expansion (which are included in Freespace OS) using the mouse the whole time, and I just started on Freespace 2. For really maneuverable enemies I have to use the arrows on the numpad to make tight turns, but I find aiming with the mouse to be a lot easier than using a joystick, to be honest.

Since you already have it on your computer, you might as well give it a try. Once you're in the game, go to the Options screen and turn the mouse on, and you're good to go.

Sep 10, 2008, 17:11
Prez

Re: No subject Sep 10, 2008, 17:11
Sep 10, 2008, 17:11
 Prez

Can Freespace OS be played well with a mouse? I fell in love with mouse control space flight ever since Freelancer (C'mon, someone do a REAL Freelancer sequel with more dynamic missions and less stilted dialog!).

I have the OS project installed on my hard drive; I just haven't played it because I don't feel like breaking out my Joystick. (Stop laughing)
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

No subject
Sep 9, 2008, 15:36
No subject Sep 9, 2008, 15:36
Sep 9, 2008, 15:36

I just started playing through Freespace and Freespace 2 again (using the awesome Open Source Project), and apparently joystick skills can be forgotten without practice. I have a nice joystick, but I can't fly with it to save my life anymore. Strangely enough, I've been playing Freespace with my mouse, and I find it easier to control that way. I guess X3's mouse support spoiled me. The only thing that's hard is turning really tightly, but that can be done by using the keyboard with my other hand.

Maybe my stick is too sensitive, but I tried playing with the settings and it didn't help much. Maybe I'm just getting too old for sims.

Sep 9, 2008, 15:06
... Sep 9, 2008, 15:06
Sep 9, 2008, 15:06

For the fun factor it is preferable to have a flight model similar to that of aircraft, otherwise it simply wouldn't be much fun. It's the same with lasers - it's best to ignore physics and make them visible and not instant hit. Sure it's slightly arcadey but that is easily preferable to a true space-sim.

I think Starlancer was the pinnacle of space-sims in terms of handling and plots, though I felt Tie Fighter was the better game. I never liked the handling in the X series, despite the graphics being pretty decent. I'm glad to see racing games making progress on the PC and arcadey games like Bionic Commando Rearmed and Street Fighter IV are welcome additions also - now we just need space sims to make a come back.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

No subject
Sep 9, 2008, 14:36
No subject Sep 9, 2008, 14:36
Sep 9, 2008, 14:36

A space sim like that wouldn't be much fun, in my opinion. Under those criteria, TIE Fighter, Wing Commander, and pretty much every other space sim I can think of would be "crappy" space sims. Even if they aren't guilty of your flight engine issues, they all have visible lasers.

Sep 9, 2008, 14:27
KS
Re: ... Sep 9, 2008, 14:27
Sep 9, 2008, 14:27
KS

> While I understand people's aversion to X's combat
> integration, it's an EXCELLENT space sim.

Actually, it's a <i>crappy</i> space sim. It's a decent <i>flight</i> sim.

Space sims don't have "banking". That's an atmospheric-only thing.

Space sims don't need you to be under thrust to go at "max speed". You just increase speed as long as the thrust is on, and coast at that speed forever until you turn and put on the thrust in a different direction.

Space sims don't have a "max distance" for a shot. A laser or bomb will go on forever and, barring hitting something (or molecular decay in the case of a bomb) will continue on forever. Targeting may be an issue as it's easier to avoid the further you are -- but you'd never see a laser, traveling at the speed of light, coming anyway so you couldn't judge it. If you could see it to begin with, which you can't, because there's no air or dust in space to cause minute reflections you can see as it passes by you.

So, to sum up:

1. It has banking and turn rates tied to how fast you are going. This is air, not space.

2. Max thrust must be maintained so you're at max speed, which really shouldn't exist.

3. Max distance on weapons.

Sep 9, 2008, 01:00
Re: ... Sep 9, 2008, 01:00
Sep 9, 2008, 01:00

I once saw a guy unleash his force to a PC.

The LAN organizers called the police and he was charged with indecent exposure. *ba-dum, ding!*

Sep 8, 2008, 23:39
Re: ... Sep 8, 2008, 23:39
Sep 8, 2008, 23:39

Actually, that reminds - after several months I was playing it as usual when the disc span up and then I head this noise; I opened my drive to find the disc had actually broken!! Pissed me right off.
That's interesting, because I had bad luck with one of the discs too. One of them inexplicably got scratched to hell (I'm pretty careful with my optical discs, so I think my drive did it), and I had to use ISO Buster to rip the disc and burn a copy. It took me forever too, because it was hard to read the disc to rip it.

Sep 8, 2008, 20:46
... Sep 8, 2008, 20:46
Sep 8, 2008, 20:46

Erm, GTA4 was confirmed for the PC at GC2008...
Obviously it's confirmed now but I was referring to the fact the PC wasn't confirmed as a platform when it launched for consoles.

NEway, XWA was alright but not great, certainly not in comparison to Tie Fighter. Actually, that reminds - after several months I was playing it as usual when the disc span up and then I head this noise; I opened my drive to find the disc had actually broken!! Pissed me right off.

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn
This comment was edited on Sep 8, 20:47.

Re: The reviews for this game are mediocre..
Sep 8, 2008, 18:08
Prez

Re: The reviews for this game are mediocre.. Sep 8, 2008, 18:08
Sep 8, 2008, 18:08
 Prez

X-Wing Alliance was fantastic as far as I am concerned.

And while I understand why someone might be a little saddened to see a property deliberately not brought to the PC, I really don't think we'll be missing much.

In truth, the categorical denial was probably for the benefit of XBox or PS3 owners. Believing that there won't be a superior version released for the PC later on might entice them into getting the weaker console versions.
- Mahatma Gandhi

The reviews for this game are mediocre..
Sep 8, 2008, 18:02
The reviews for this game are mediocre.. Sep 8, 2008, 18:02
Sep 8, 2008, 18:02

I bet money, despite what they say now, that they do a PC version in the future just to "milk" the game a little more.

When this game is getting C- *average* reviews after they hyped this game to death you know that someone, somewhere, has got to be worried about sale's numbers.

We'll see it on PC. Whether they'll sell enough copies to make it worthwhile is another story.

Sep 8, 2008, 17:40
Re: ... Sep 8, 2008, 17:40
Sep 8, 2008, 17:40

XWA sucked balls dude, I didnt wanna fly around with some douche robot working for some family and all the lame missions it entailed. The combat just never felt solid like the others and they didnt push the graphics even for the time they were cheap.
Dont get me started on Bridge commander what a pile, even after years of mods (admirable that is) its still a very shallow shit game in every respect.

Sep 8, 2008, 17:13
Re: ... Sep 8, 2008, 17:13
Sep 8, 2008, 17:13

And dated for November of 2008.

----------------------------------------------------
Trackmania United Forever, Bionic Commando Rearmed, GRID

PSN= Puscifer73 • Trackmania= puscifer604
"Blues News" Steam Community... http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

Sep 8, 2008, 16:22
Re: ... Sep 8, 2008, 16:22
Sep 8, 2008, 16:22

GTA4 was never denied for PC release, though it was never confirmed either.

Sep 8, 2008, 16:06
... Sep 8, 2008, 16:06
Sep 8, 2008, 16:06

Why do people keep buying into that fallacy? You're buying a game of one genre, purely because you're hoping they'll make a game of a different genre?
I said I'd like to, not that I would.

The wording of this denial sound a whole lot like the official line of GTA4 coming to pc. Just total denial and lies for months and then suddenly Oh yeah! We've actually been working on it for long time and it's due out next week.
GTA4 was never denied for PC release, though it was never confirmed either. That's very different to a former PC dev saying there will be no PC version. As already mentioned the game doesn't seem to actually be particularly good and if that's the case it will really struggle on PC, what with already having the stigma from a console port.

Sep 8, 2008, 15:21
Wag
Re: ... Sep 8, 2008, 15:21
Sep 8, 2008, 15:21
Wag

Guys, go play Lego Star Wars, it's more fun. Seriously...

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 15:22.

Sep 8, 2008, 14:48
Re: ... Sep 8, 2008, 14:48
Sep 8, 2008, 14:48

That's what I've heard (I didn't actually play it), but that doesn't explain his animosity towards XWA. I thought XWA was a great game

I enjoyed it as well. I'll admit my memories of Tie Fighter were "better" than my memories of X-Wing Alliance, but I managed to enjoy both. Once you got by the admittedly-boring "training" missions for your family it picked up nicely.

I think I got my copy of Tie Fighter CD working on XP at one point. I don't recall if I had to do anything special (via a patch or what-not) but it was still a fun game.
"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older