Wright's Spore Hype

Spore - changing the game is a BBC article talking with Maxis about Spore, getting Will Wright to overcome his aversion to hype, quoting the designer as saying: "Spore will change the way people look at games forever and change hopefully the perception people have of their own creativity." It's that creativity that is the focus of the article, as they talk more about creature creation, and the role players have in furthering the content of the game going forward. They also touch on ambitions for Spore as a brand, once again mentioning the possibility that this will eventually be another label for EA, like Wright's The Sims. Also, Behind the prototyping of 'Spore' on CNET looks at the role of prototyping in the development of the game. In another Spore related note, we want to follow-up on yesterday's Spore shipping news (story) by clearly stating the game's North American release will be this Sunday, September 7, a simple date that was posted incorrectly here at first, and was still wrong even after a first attempt at correcting the error. Apologies for the confusion. Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.
View : : :
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: No subject
Sep 6, 2008, 11:03
Re: No subject Sep 6, 2008, 11:03
Sep 6, 2008, 11:03

Thanks, I now win a small sundae at DQ!

Does DQ have a product called Blizzard? Ohhhh the irony!

I didn't want to go there. Good play sir.

The cause of all these evils was the lust for power arising from greed and ambition; and from these passions proceeded the violence of parties once engaged in contention.

Sep 6, 2008, 04:20
Re: No subject Sep 6, 2008, 04:20
Sep 6, 2008, 04:20

Sometimes I think Riley just blabbers on and on to hear his own voice and to argue semantics without really caring about the topic.

It really get's tiresome sometimes.

Sep 6, 2008, 00:33
Re: No subject Sep 6, 2008, 00:33
Sep 6, 2008, 00:33

Wasn't Fine and Dandy a comedy sitcom in the 50s?

Thankfully I haven't been alive that long yet to know the answer

Sep 6, 2008, 00:31
Kxmode

Re: No subject Sep 6, 2008, 00:31
Sep 6, 2008, 00:31
 Kxmode

Maybe yours do but I'm just fine and dandy with mine thanks anyways.

Wasn't Fine and Dandy a comedy sitcom in the 50s?

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
EA advocates nakedness instead of patience when dealing with problem services!
"...and now for the weather. In Quirktopia, expect confetti and lemonade with bubblegum. Temperatures are a giggly 83. The blurple sunset will lead into a winking moon at 29 o'clock tonight."

Sep 6, 2008, 00:28
Kxmode

Re: No subject Sep 6, 2008, 00:28
Sep 6, 2008, 00:28
 Kxmode

Thanks, I now win a small sundae at DQ!

Does DQ have a product called Blizzard? Ohhhh the irony!

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
EA advocates nakedness instead of patience when dealing with problem services!
"...and now for the weather. In Quirktopia, expect confetti and lemonade with bubblegum. Temperatures are a giggly 83. The blurple sunset will lead into a winking moon at 29 o'clock tonight."

Sep 6, 2008, 00:23
Re: No subject Sep 6, 2008, 00:23
Sep 6, 2008, 00:23

Funny how fast you went from:

but at least I wouldn't have been pissed off about blowing money on it.

to:

I don't mind the unexpected ding to my wallet once in awhile

I already explained why I was "pissed off" and at whom, several times. I look at it ultimately as money that could've spent on a game I would've enjoyed more but that's the nature of the beast. Sometimes I'll really enjoy a demo, buy the game and still end up deciding it wasn't really my thing. Every game can't be a classic that I adore until the end of time. I make no apologies for Spore's deficiencies, I'll definitely be more cautious with any future Maxis purchases.

And Jerykk, don't even bother, I'm done farting around and wasting time with this circular crap with you. It'll never end, no point.

This comment was edited on Sep 6, 00:25.

Sep 6, 2008, 00:11
Re: No subject Sep 6, 2008, 00:11
Sep 6, 2008, 00:11

There's a huge difference between a crappy game and something that just isn't in my personal tastes.

Is there? "Crappy" is inherently subjective. Therefore, there really isn't any difference between that and your own personal taste. If you think Spore is shallow, tedious and unchallenging, that makes it a crappy game (in your opinion). I don't know why you refuse to accept this. Perhaps you are trying to justify your purchase to yourself..?

I'm not going to say it's a shitty game just so you can feel better about downloading it.

Why would I feel bad about downloading it? If I had actually paid for it though, I'd definitely feel pretty bad right now.

Sep 6, 2008, 00:07
Re: No subject Sep 6, 2008, 00:07
Sep 6, 2008, 00:07

Funny how fast you went from:
but at least I wouldn't have been pissed off about blowing money on it.
to:
I don't mind the unexpected ding to my wallet once in awhile

This comment was edited on Sep 6, 00:08.

Sep 5, 2008, 23:42
Re: No subject Sep 5, 2008, 23:42
Sep 5, 2008, 23:42

Based on what you've been saying in throughout this thread, you don't like the game. It doesn't matter if it's "high quality" or "should've been marketed at a different crowd." You bought the game and you were unsatisfied with what you got. For your intents and purposes, it's a crappy game.

Haha wow, I've never seen someone try so hard to assert their opinion on someone else. There's a huge difference between a crappy game and something that just isn't in my personal tastes. I'm not going to say it's a shitty game just so you can feel better about downloading it. So buzz off and stop being so arrogant as to assume that you know what everyone else is thinking.

I don't know how much to be much clearer than I have already - it's a good game for a different crowd of people, I am really disappointed with the feature cuts, lack of depth and especially unhappy with EA for their marketing tactics but ultimately I can't say it's a bad game as a result of those things, it's just not what I was expecting. Not going to repeat it again so don't bother trying to argue your definition of "crappy games" because frankly, I don't care what you think is crappy. Your opinion in how I spend my money and what games I play is meaningless.

It doesn't matter how much money you have to spare; a waste is a waste. Hell, by buying the game, you are supporting the designers who made the design choices you disagree with, therefore increasing the likelihood of those design choices happening again.

Vote with your wallet. Know what you are getting before you buy it.

I know you really want to make this yet another piracy debate thread but sorry I'm not going to oblige. You're wasting your time. I'll do whatever I want with my money thanks. I don't care if you think it's wasteful or not. Be happy and go grab your torrents or whatever it is you do, I'll do my own thing, thanks.

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 23:47.

Sep 5, 2008, 22:49
Re: No subject Sep 5, 2008, 22:49
Sep 5, 2008, 22:49

It's definitely a high quality game that should've been marketed at a different crowd in my opinion, I feel somewhat mislead and that's what upsets me about it.

Based on what you've been saying in throughout this thread, you don't like the game. It doesn't matter if it's "high quality" or "should've been marketed at a different crowd." You bought the game and you were unsatisfied with what you got. For your intents and purposes, it's a crappy game.

For someone working as a fry cook at McDonalds or something might be more upset I guess, I'm just more miffed at the features that got cut.

You could be a billionaire and buying something you don't like would still be a waste of money. It doesn't matter how much money you have to spare; a waste is a waste. Hell, by buying the game, you are supporting the designers who made the design choices you disagree with, therefore increasing the likelihood of those design choices happening again.

Vote with your wallet. Know what you are getting before you buy it.

No subject
Sep 5, 2008, 22:25
No subject Sep 5, 2008, 22:25
Sep 5, 2008, 22:25

It is apparently nothin glike the video from months ago.

My prediction:

3-4 BF2 style Booster packs later - the game will have cost you [(original price + (20 x 4)) = What he said it was going to be months ago.]

True EA.

Will is EA's bitch.
They probably came to him and said "What the hell are you doing! Don't tell them that is in the game yet! We want to charge extra for the full game as add-ons! You moron!"

Remember when BF2 vids and trailers showed a TON of content, then the game came to release and half of it wasn't there? We were all like, "dude - wtf?" Then 2 booster packs came out and we all said, "Hay, that was in the original trailer! My a hole hurts!"

Lame EA. Very Lame.

The cause of all these evils was the lust for power arising from greed and ambition; and from these passions proceeded the violence of parties once engaged in contention.
This comment was edited on Sep 5, 22:29.

No subject
Sep 5, 2008, 20:06
No subject Sep 5, 2008, 20:06
Sep 5, 2008, 20:06

i might buy this game so that i can create something that has big boobs and no brains like britney spears.

Sep 5, 2008, 19:53
Re: No subject Sep 5, 2008, 19:53
Sep 5, 2008, 19:53

The NY Times gave it a very luckluster review, which is surprising because they usually offer fluff reviews that praise every game.

If even the NY times can figure out that repeating the same four button presses over and over and over again a billion times without ever having to worry about any negative aspect, it's rather amusing to see Gamespot, IGN and Eurogamer orgasming all over it (despite describing those same shortcomings.)

Ah, the wonders of the big fat check to the ad department.

Creston

Edit : Btw, that's a really really good review by the NY Times, whether you agree with his conclusions or not. Most gaming review websites lost the ability to review a game that way a long, long time ago.

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 19:59.

What???
Sep 5, 2008, 19:46
What??? Sep 5, 2008, 19:46
Sep 5, 2008, 19:46

His AVERSION to hype? Spore is the most fucking overhyped game since goddamned Daikatana.

And from countless opinions all over the interwebs, Daikatana actually had more gameplay in it!

Will Wright, you're turning into the biggest fucking tool in the game industry.

So you have a creature editor? Wow, that's original. Oh, and you also have a ship and building editor? Shit, well that's never been done before. I'm glad we get to be so fucking creative.

How about for Spore 2, which you're already working on, you add some GAME to the orgasms of creativity.

Creston

Sep 5, 2008, 19:26
Re: No subject Sep 5, 2008, 19:26
Sep 5, 2008, 19:26

It was cracked before retail anyways. I don't mind the unexpected ding to my wallet once in awhile, I'll just keep it in mind the next time Will Wright makes a game. For someone working as a fry cook at McDonalds or something might be more upset I guess, I'm just more miffed at the features that got cut.

Sep 5, 2008, 19:19
Re: No subject Sep 5, 2008, 19:19
Sep 5, 2008, 19:19

"I'd rather pay for it as opposed to stealing it "

Well normally I would agree with you, but in this case, with the ridiculous copy protection scheme, you would be far better off to wait until they crack it. At least the cracked game will have unending installs. Personally, I think EA is openning themselves up for a lawsuit with the limited number of installs.

Can you say...
Sep 5, 2008, 19:06
Wag
Can you say... Sep 5, 2008, 19:06
Sep 5, 2008, 19:06
Wag

Black and White?

I thought you could.;)

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 19:06.

Sep 5, 2008, 18:41
Re: No subject Sep 5, 2008, 18:41
Sep 5, 2008, 18:41

Sorry, but what you described IS a crappy game. Doesn't mean kids won't like it, but it's definitely not a good game.

Sorry but game quality is a subjective thing. What's good to you and good to Joe Blow down the street are two entirely different things. Pointless arguing about it. It's definitely a high quality game that should've been marketed at a different crowd in my opinion, I feel somewhat mislead and that's what upsets me about it.

Sep 5, 2008, 18:38
Re: No subject Sep 5, 2008, 18:38
Sep 5, 2008, 18:38

It's not a crappy game, it's just not what I expected.
Sorry, but what you described IS a crappy game. Doesn't mean kids won't like it, but it's definitely not a good game.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

why?
Sep 5, 2008, 18:25
why? Sep 5, 2008, 18:25
Sep 5, 2008, 18:25

What I don't understand is that Maxis hires the main designer of Civ4, Soren Johnson, and Spore's strategy game is this watered down joke pre-teen game? I guess he just wanted an easy project to work on or something.

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older