Mythic: $1B to Compete with WoW "Ridiculous"

MTV Multiplayer has a reaction from Mythic's Mark Jacobs to a comment by Activision's Bobby Kotick (story) later echoed by Monumental Games boss Rik Alexander (story) that it would take $1 billion to make an MMORPG to compete with World of Warcraft. Jacobs says that "maybe only $100 million" is a more realistic budget estimate to compete with Blizzard's MMORPG. Interestingly., he admits this is more than they spent on the soon-to-launch Warhammer Online, saying "it was lot of money," but under that $100 million mark because of his team's level of experience. He offers a number of reasons a newcomer would need a large pocketbook to compete with WoW, including to allow for setbacks, pointing out even his seasoned team suffered multiple delays. He also gets to the crux of the problem in competing with World of Warcraft, which is all the additional content that's been added since the game's original launch that will dwarf that of a new game. He also makes some observations about the MMOG market, like using server additions or subtractions over the first six months of a game as an barometer of success, citing the server consolidation for Pirates of the Burning Sea as a sign it is in trouble, saying the same will apply for Warhammer: "Look at us six months out. Look at us six weeks out. If we’re not adding servers, we’re not doing well."
View : : :
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: tchh
Sep 1, 2008, 10:48
Re: tchh Sep 1, 2008, 10:48
Sep 1, 2008, 10:48

The only ones I could really recommend to people are the Elite Force games. Most of the rest was absolute trash

How dare you, sir.

*Fondly remembers Bridge Commander and the old Star Trek adventures...*

Creston

Re: This just proves
Sep 1, 2008, 10:46
Re: This just proves Sep 1, 2008, 10:46
Sep 1, 2008, 10:46

Too much of everything. Too much money to be made. Too much success (did i mention before, that the game industry grows every (!) year in nearly two digit percents?). Most people in high management positions have either lost contact with the gaming basis or had never contact to gaming in general. It's just a business. You invest money and mostly you make money. If not, something is wrong, because the whole industry grows and grows and grows. So it has to be pirates or used game sales or lack of being Blizzard. Gaming has become a BIG, BIG business.

You don't like? Go away from mainstream gaming. Concentrate on little, nifty indie devs. Buy their games, donate money for free games. Just ignore the majors, because they have been ignoring you for years now.

I agree with you, and I do. Or at least, I support small devs where I can, though I'll still buy the occasional big title.

It just sucks though. There used to be a time, long long ago, when game developers tried to make a fun game, and worried about whether it would sell 5 million copies later (or not at all).

Now the only concern is "Will this make me richer than Tiger Woods?" If they can do so without actually bothering to put a decent game together, so much the better.

Creston

Re: No subject
Sep 1, 2008, 10:38
Re: No subject Sep 1, 2008, 10:38
Sep 1, 2008, 10:38

I would not be so quick to dismiss profit which WoW has made. In 2005, it made $200 million for subscriptions and made an additional $50 million from games sales with 700,000 copies out the door. Now, three years later it has sold over ten million copies plus subscriptions.

That's revenue buddy. I'm talking about profit. Obviously Blizzard is raking in cash with WoW, but of that 14,95, quite a bit gets put back into bandwith, hardware and salaries.

I have no doubt their revenue has passed a billion, but I really doubt their profit has reached it.

In any case, even if it has, no MMORPG is ever going to get the numbers that WoW has, so spending that much money in order to compete is insane anyways.

Creston

Sep 1, 2008, 10:21
Re: No subject Sep 1, 2008, 10:21
Sep 1, 2008, 10:21

Everybody knows Bobby Kottick is a lying POS turd, who somehow despite all of his incompetences (or perhaps because of them) managed to rise to the top Activision spot.

Unfortunately he is Blizzards boss too now. So perhaps he even has something to gain from this outright lie. (1 billion LOL!)

I have a nifty blue line!

Sep 1, 2008, 08:44
Re: No subject Sep 1, 2008, 08:44
Sep 1, 2008, 08:44

1000 million, bro

sure if you work in short scale.

And yes, I know the UK moved to short scale shortly after decimal...

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 08:46.
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Sep 1, 2008, 00:21
Re: tchh Sep 1, 2008, 00:21
Sep 1, 2008, 00:21

Warcraft rips character concepts and whatnot from Warhammer, but not Warhammer's lore. They have their own histories.

There really wasn't much lore in War 1 and 2. The Warcraft universe didn't truly separated itself lore-wise from Warhammer until Blizzard retconned in the burning legion, the shamanistic nature of the orcs, and the night elves in WAR 3.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 00:23.

Aug 31, 2008, 12:29
Prez

Re: No subject Aug 31, 2008, 12:29
Aug 31, 2008, 12:29
 Prez

Developers need to realize that given the right timing, right audience, and right environment, a game can cease to be just a game and actually become a cultural phenomenon. WoW is such a game, and its success will never be duplicated not because of lack of money, but because cultural phenomenons just happen. The Sims and World of Warcraft have been featured on mainstream television shows - there was the catassing episode of Southpark and the Sims episode on Drew Carey.

These are extremely rare cases and to expect that throwing tons of money at a game is all that is needed to achieve cultural phenomenon status is painfully naive.

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 12:29.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

No subject
Aug 31, 2008, 05:32
No subject Aug 31, 2008, 05:32
Aug 31, 2008, 05:32

1000 million, bro

No subject
Aug 31, 2008, 02:37
No subject Aug 31, 2008, 02:37
Aug 31, 2008, 02:37

100 million != 1 billion

Aug 31, 2008, 00:25
Re: tchh Aug 31, 2008, 00:25
Aug 31, 2008, 00:25

Warcraft rips character concepts and whatnot from Warhammer, but not Warhammer's lore. They have their own histories.

All I was saying was that it's easier to suck in fans of an established brand name than to start something brand new(EQ or AO for instance)

Not every IP lends itself well to every game type or genre.

Consider the quality of the numerous Star Trek games we've seen over the years. The only ones I could really recommend to people are the Elite Force games. Most of the rest was absolute trash.

Coming up with an original IP isn't easy either, I'll admit. But I don't think that the IP and/or storyline is as important as first creating a fun and interesting gameplay experience. A lot of developers think that having a great backstory and fleshed out fiction for their game will somehow fill in for poorly executed game mechanics and other flaws which have NOTHING to do with the story of the gameworld. A lot of players don't care very much about the backstory of a game...they just want the game to play well. Ideally...I'd like both.

I was amused to hear how Carmack said in his keynote speech that developement teams don't need to aim for a bug/flaw free game...just one that works 'well enough' or some stupid thing like that. I always thought that if you're aiming for mediocrity, then that's exactly the kind of result you'll produce.

Aug 30, 2008, 22:11
Re: tchh Aug 30, 2008, 22:11
Aug 30, 2008, 22:11

All I was saying was that it's easier to suck in fans of an established brand name than to start something brand new(EQ or AO for instance)
This comment was edited on Aug 30, 22:12.

Aug 30, 2008, 22:00
Re: tchh Aug 30, 2008, 22:00
Aug 30, 2008, 22:00

Your statement is rife with irony.

Oh man I'm right with ya there kx....:D

Hyatus, you need to look up exactly what universe Warcraft directly and apologetically rips off...lol

V
How will I know limits from lies if I never try?

No subject
Aug 30, 2008, 21:52
No subject Aug 30, 2008, 21:52
Aug 30, 2008, 21:52

This mindset of beating or matching WoW will only lead developers to their doom. As others have said here, what they need to do is build games which are fun to play. If they do that they'll be happy with the results. Witness Stardock.

Even Blizzard will be hard pressed to build another WoW. They are supposedly working on a "Next Generation MMO". While I'm pretty sure if they release it, it will do well -- I wouldn't care to bet my life savings that it will do as well as WoW has....
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Aug 30, 2008, 21:12
Kxmode

Re: tchh Aug 30, 2008, 21:12
Aug 30, 2008, 21:12
 Kxmode

God forbid a company innovates instead of trying to copy the competition. At least Warhammer has an established universe, I suppose. I'm so sick of all these stupid MMORPG clones. Why can't they be fun for more than a month

Your statement is rife with irony.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
This comment was edited on Aug 30, 21:25.
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

No subject
Aug 30, 2008, 19:35
No subject Aug 30, 2008, 19:35
Aug 30, 2008, 19:35

q[A BILLION dollars for a game? How the fuck do you ever expect to make that back? I seriously doubt WoW has actually made that much profit. (Since a lot of that 14,95 goes into upkeep, salaries etc).]

I would not be so quick to dismiss profit which WoW has made. In 2005, it made $200 million for subscriptions and made an additional $50 million from games sales with 700,000 copies out the door. Now, three years later it has sold over ten million copies plus subscriptions.

It was expected to top one billion dollars in 2007 alone. Even if it did not reach that amount, you can bet it has raked in more than a billion since it's been out.

Either way, that's a shitton of money!

Re: What about history?
Aug 30, 2008, 14:26
Prez

Re: What about history? Aug 30, 2008, 14:26
Aug 30, 2008, 14:26
 Prez

I played the Wow 14 day trial and was bored to tears by it. But I know quality when I see it. I can recognize the excellence in something even when it is not my cup of tea. Everything Blizzard does is well thought out, polished, and fun. There is more originality in a Blizzard game loading screen than there is in a lot of games today. True, they seem to have a bit of the Midas touch, but without the level of quality they consistently maintain release after release they would haved faded into oblivion long ago.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Re: What about history?
Aug 30, 2008, 14:12
Re: What about history? Aug 30, 2008, 14:12
Aug 30, 2008, 14:12

Developers just don't seem to get what makes for a compelling game these days. Its like they have a disconnect with their players or they try to hit a demographic of player that they don't have the know-how to capture.

I agree completely. I started in the MUD/MUSE days, and I've tried every major MMORPG out there. The only two that have held my attention for any period of time is WOW and AO.

WOW is simply a fun game. Lots of quests, leveling is challenging, but not insane, each class is solable (liars EQ2, liars!), and there is content for all levels.

AO is fun for me because of the detailed character paper doll management & leveling system - for me, it feels like each character is unique in the world. Content wasn't very good at release, but they've worked to address that.

I've also found games like EVE, and Guild Wars to be fun, but they really don't have the staying power for me that WOW & AO have.

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 18:03.

Re: This just proves
Aug 30, 2008, 13:40
Re: This just proves Aug 30, 2008, 13:40
Aug 30, 2008, 13:40

What the fuck happened to the game industry? What a bunch of mouthbreathing cuntflaps...

Too much of everything. Too much money to be made. Too much success (did i mention before, that the game industry grows every (!) year in nearly two digit percents?). Most people in high management positions have either lost contact with the gaming basis or had never contact to gaming in general. It's just a business. You invest money and mostly you make money. If not, something is wrong, because the whole industry grows and grows and grows. So it has to be pirates or used game sales or lack of being Blizzard. Gaming has become a BIG, BIG business.

You don't like? Go away from mainstream gaming. Concentrate on little, nifty indie devs. Buy their games, donate money for free games. Just ignore the majors, because they have been ignoring you for years now.

Re: True point...
Aug 30, 2008, 13:01
Re: True point... Aug 30, 2008, 13:01
Aug 30, 2008, 13:01

forwardth

I like this word. It has a sense of Ye Olde English to it.

Creston

This just proves
Aug 30, 2008, 12:58
This just proves Aug 30, 2008, 12:58
Aug 30, 2008, 12:58

That most of the idiots that work in the game industry now are completely detached from any form of reality.

A BILLION dollars for a game? How the fuck do you ever expect to make that back? I seriously doubt WoW has actually made that much profit. (Since a lot of that 14,95 goes into upkeep, salaries etc).

Even a hundred million is crazy.

You don't need a hundred million to compete with WoW. You need a FUN GAME.

Obviously, in the minds of most developers nowadays : Lots of Money + Lots of Hype = FUN GAME!

What the fuck happened to the game industry? What a bunch of mouthbreathing cuntflaps...

Creston

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older