Gold - Spore

EA and Maxis announce the completion of development on Spore, so Will Wright's life simulation is on track for its most recent release dates of September 7 in North America and Asia Pacific and September 5 in Europe:
Redwood City, CA – August 14, 2008 –The wait is almost over! Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS) and Maxis today announced that Spore™ the most anticipated video game of the year from the creator of The Sims(TM), has gone gold and will be available for the Mac and PC at retailers September 5 in Europe and September 7 in North America and Asia Pacific. Spore™ Creatures for Nintendo DS™ and Spore™ Origins for mobile phones will also be available globally September 7.

Players who preorder Spore or Spore Galactic Edition from participating retailers will receive a coupon good for $10 off their next purchase of custom merchandise at www.zazzle.com/sporestore. For the ultimate Spore fan, the limited Galactic Edition will contain the 'Making of Spore' DVD, 'How to Build a Better Being' DVD (a 50 minute National Geographic Channel documentary DVD hosted by Spore mastermind, Will Wright), 'The Art of Spore' hardback book, an exclusive Spore poster, and a premium 100-page Galactic Handbook.

"We are so excited to finally get Spore into the hands of fans and players," said Lucy Bradshaw, executive producer of Spore at Maxis. "The Maxis studio has had an absolute blast creating Spore, but the fun is just beginning. The most engaging stories are truly the ones people create themselves, and we can't wait to see how players not only craft and explore the Spore universe, but hear what stories they have to tell as a result."

Spore gives players their own personal universe in a box, allowing fans to create and evolve life, establish tribes, build civilizations, sculpt entire worlds and explore a universe created by other gamers. Spore gives players a wealth of creative tools to customize nearly every aspect of their universe: creatures, vehicles, buildings, and even spaceships. Players can then seamlessly share their creations with the world via the Sporepedia™ and explore infinite new galaxies created by other gamers*.

For all the latest Spore news, screens, videos community content, and to try out the trial version of the hugely popular Spore Creature Creator, visit www.spore.com.
View : : :
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Gold - Spore
Mar 17, 2009, 05:09
Re: Gold - Spore Mar 17, 2009, 05:09
Mar 17, 2009, 05:09

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 23, 2009, 10:34.

Re: DRM
Aug 25, 2008, 01:42
Re: DRM Aug 25, 2008, 01:42
Aug 25, 2008, 01:42

Not too worried. Mass Effect was cracked; Spore will be too. Never did get around to buying Mass Effect though so I can't say the crack actually works... I wasn't as interested in Mass Effect as I am in Spore, so the copy protection was more than enough to put me off of Mass Effect altogether. I haven't played a Bioware title yet that I didn't love (stopped at NWN2 and MotB), but that doesn't mean I'm going to tolerate it when Bioware blatantly treats me like a criminal. They only hit me because they love me, right? I'm not a pirate myself but I can totally understand why people would want to be a criminal for free instead of paying to be treated like one. It was bad enough getting software that assumes the user is a criminal, but now the software comes with a parole officer too? Right now, it seems like PC developers want to make it harder to be a legit customer than to be a pirate. Kinda makes sense, with developers shifting more and more to consoles and their cheaper development costs. Kill PC gaming with ridiculous copy protection, stop developing for the PC and blame the consumers and their greedy little pirating hands - abandon customers and still look like the good guy. It's just as easy to pirate console titles, so why are console developers not complaining as much?
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

Aug 20, 2008, 01:55
Re: DRM Aug 20, 2008, 01:55
Aug 20, 2008, 01:55

link or it isn't true

http://bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=87481

It's most definitely true. Type Mass Effect Spore DRM in the little search box on the left, there's more posts on this.

Creston

Re: No subject
Aug 19, 2008, 11:22
Re: No subject Aug 19, 2008, 11:22
Aug 19, 2008, 11:22

@Beamer: Wish I could find it, some interview a little while back about how the space age now has an almost Zelda type RPG build into it. Probably not much "replay" value there but in terms of hours of play it could be interesting. Though that probably also means the universe is a lot less random than initially panned. Randomness means real life though, real life is boring

Aug 18, 2008, 16:16
Re: DRM Aug 18, 2008, 16:16
Aug 18, 2008, 16:16

Personally, I'm looking forward to Spore. Will it have depth? I think it will, but I could be wrong. I also think it could have really good replay value because everything is procedural - it will probably boil down to whether a different creature will give you a different experience.

We'll just have to wait and see. Of course, nobody wants to do that - what we all really want to do is judge it based entirely on an optional creature editor and a handful of videos, rather than the actual game.

Aug 16, 2008, 19:04
Verno

Re: DRM Aug 16, 2008, 19:04
Aug 16, 2008, 19:04
 Verno

Wow, that is actually a good point. This game was hyped to death for quite some time, and then a year before release you suddenly stop hearing so much about it. Hmmm...

Well I for one am not going to hate the game before it comes out, I actually hope it's worth playing, PC Gaming needs another hit.

I don't know where he got that from, there's tons of Spore media all over the place and plenty of it is recent. Their official site is also updated constantly. Heck, they even released the Creature Creator. Even a casual search of this very site has tons of Spore information.

I'm undecided if I'll be buying this or not, most likely I won't be since they'll only use the godawful EA Downloader for digital distro which makes you pay an extra $5.99 just to get the option of downloading the game again and even then it's only for a 2 year period. EA could learn a lot from Steam.

Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder

Aug 15, 2008, 00:33
Re: DRM Aug 15, 2008, 00:33
Aug 15, 2008, 00:33

As for Spore, for a game with so much hype, we've really not seen ANYTHING new in what... a year or so? That's usually not a good sign.

Wow, that is actually a good point. This game was hyped to death for quite some time, and then a year before release you suddenly stop hearing so much about it. Hmmm...

Well I for one am not going to hate the game before it comes out, I actually hope it's worth playing, PC Gaming needs another hit.

I didn't try the demo and only really remember the demo/concept/walkthrough video from a year back or so. Plus all the hype and regular speculations here.

But from the press release, despite what Jerryk says, I really don't know what this game is about.

What it makes me think of is Slurpee Cups, Big Mac Meals, keychains, T-Shirts, toy dolls, movies, comics, etc,. I'm not getting the 'what the hell is this game about' part.

No subject
Aug 14, 2008, 23:26
No subject Aug 14, 2008, 23:26
Aug 14, 2008, 23:26

I was looking forward to this, but with some of the others here, now, not so much. My money is on L4D, if they ever bother to finish it and stop kicking it back for a co-release with Ep3...

Oh yeah, and NW, you're still gay.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 23:27.

Aug 14, 2008, 23:12
Re: DRM Aug 14, 2008, 23:12
Aug 14, 2008, 23:12

I don't think there's much point in hyping it any more. It's already been hyped to death. Everybody knows what Spore is.

Aug 14, 2008, 22:44
Re: DRM Aug 14, 2008, 22:44
Aug 14, 2008, 22:44

As for Spore, for a game with so much hype, we've really not seen ANYTHING new in what... a year or so? That's usually not a good sign.

Aug 14, 2008, 22:34
Re: DRM Aug 14, 2008, 22:34
Aug 14, 2008, 22:34

As for Spore, for a game with so much hype, we've really not seen ANYTHING new in what... a year or so? That's usually not a good sign. It's like EA and Maxis know that there's very little actual gameplay in it, and just hope to sell a shitload of copies off the hype alone before words gets out that it's a level of pacman, a level of marginal civ and a creature creator, and that's it.

My thoughts exactly. It's not a good sign. Let's hope we're wrong, but unfortunately the odds are on the side of suckiness lately.

Link or it isn't true.

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/05/07/1523242&from=rss

See? Suckiness is in abundance these days.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 22:39.

Aug 14, 2008, 22:32
Re: DRM Aug 14, 2008, 22:32
Aug 14, 2008, 22:32

It was announced a few months ago (with Mass Effect) that Spore would have the same bullshit Securom shit on it.

Link or it isn't true.

Please don't let it be true

DRM
Aug 14, 2008, 22:28
DRM Aug 14, 2008, 22:28

It was announced a few months ago (with Mass Effect) that Spore would have the same bullshit Securom shit on it. So that'll mean calling home on install, 3 install limit (whether on your own machine or on different machines seems to be an issue of much debate) and then beg EA to please let you play the game you paid fifty bucks for. You pirate.

As for Spore, for a game with so much hype, we've really not seen ANYTHING new in what... a year or so? That's usually not a good sign. It's like EA and Maxis know that there's very little actual gameplay in it, and just hope to sell a shitload of copies off the hype alone before words gets out that it's a level of pacman, a level of marginal civ and a creature creator, and that's it.

Creston

Kxmode

Re: No subject Aug 14, 2008, 22:28
 Kxmode

nope the problem wont be solved until we can express ourselves freely without you jackanapes butting in with your slavering devotion

I wonder what a jackanapes in Spore would look like?

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

I hated the Sims...
Aug 14, 2008, 22:22
I hated the Sims... Aug 14, 2008, 22:22
Aug 14, 2008, 22:22

I still hope this game will keep my attention at least for several dozen hours of play. Unlike some I don't need years or even hundreds of hours of game-play to feel a game was worth the purchase. But I want something that is different now more than ever before. I don't want to get that been there done this feeling. Don't want that new graphics on an old game design. Tired of the same old same old.

So I'm going to get it just for that fact and hope for the best.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 22:40.

Aug 14, 2008, 22:16
Re: No subject Aug 14, 2008, 22:16
Aug 14, 2008, 22:16

how is it hypocritical? any of you can say whatever you want, i encourage it..

seems to contradict your previous statement:

nope the problem wont be solved until we can express ourselves freely without you jackanapes butting in with your slavering devotion

also,

could be considered hypocritical in that 'until we can express ourselves freely' flies in the face (a facial/moneyshot if you will) of the remainder of the sentence: 'without you jackanapes butting in with your slavering devotion'

all that 'butting in' is part of the conversation. if theres any progress to be made, will it be through constant redress? that aside, the spore franchise can only achieve its full potential by somehow incorporating this chat thread in-game.

also, jackanapes is a bad word and should only be used by fellow jackanapes. you jackanape.

with much undying love,
your greatest fan

No subject
Aug 14, 2008, 22:03
No subject Aug 14, 2008, 22:03
Aug 14, 2008, 22:03

This game SUCKS, no question.

No subject
Aug 14, 2008, 21:23
No subject Aug 14, 2008, 21:23
Aug 14, 2008, 21:23

how is it hypocritical? any of you can say whatever you want, i encourage it.. its a fucking comments thread, after all

Aug 14, 2008, 19:55
Re: No subject Aug 14, 2008, 19:55
Aug 14, 2008, 19:55

"nope the problem wont be solved until we can express ourselves freely without you jackanapes butting in with your slavering devotion'

*cough* hypocrite *cough*

Aug 14, 2008, 19:48
PHJF

Re: No subject Aug 14, 2008, 19:48
Aug 14, 2008, 19:48
 PHJF

This entire game has devolved into a marketing ploy at the hands of EA, and I'll have none of it.
Steam + PSN: PHJF
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older