Star Wars Galaxies Vehicle Combat Coming

A recent Producer Note on the Star Wars Galaxies forums indicates that vehicular combat is soon to be added to Star Wars Galaxies (thanks Eurogamer) when they introduce "The Battle of Echo Base" in an upcoming update, hopefully giving the chance for your tauntaun to freeze before you reach the first marker. The update also outlines details for the upcoming Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game, which suggests the occasionally maligned MMORPG is still going strong, though there is also a note that they are preparing to announce how they will address player complaints about low-population servers.
View : : :
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Furthest
Aug 9, 2008, 10:03
Re: Furthest Aug 9, 2008, 10:03
Aug 9, 2008, 10:03

It's "first" according to IMDB, and that's what I always thought it was...

It makes more sense for the guy to say that the Tauntaun would freeze before he reached even the first marker (much less the furthest one).

I'm a gigantic Star Wars nerd too.

Re: What?
Aug 8, 2008, 22:57
Re: What? Aug 8, 2008, 22:57
Aug 8, 2008, 22:57

They could maybe do a voluntary (and free) transfer for people who want it. I haven't played in ages but if people can get in-game money back for their buildings and just buy them again on their new server I imagine a lot of people would go for it to escape the ghost towns everywhere. And the more people that leave, the more people that will want to leave as the world becomes even less populated. After the transfers start dwindling down and it becomes clear that the remaining people are not gonna move no matter what, merge all the low-pop servers to the same physical unit to cut costs there. Still leave the game servers separate, just sharing hardware since I doubt they'd each need their own hardware to run effectively if there are only a handful of people across all the low-pop servers by then.

Edit: I know I'd go for a plan like that if I still played. Obviously I played on the low-pop servers cuz I could go for days without seeing another player, and it was eerie rolling into a player-made city and seeing all those abandoned buildings. I half expected to see tumbleweed!

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 22:59.
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

Furthest
Aug 8, 2008, 20:22
Furthest Aug 8, 2008, 20:22
Aug 8, 2008, 20:22

furthest marker. Not first.

Gigantic star wars nerd.

Creston

Aug 8, 2008, 17:26
Re: What? Aug 8, 2008, 17:26
Aug 8, 2008, 17:26

I honestly don't see how they could afford to continue with this. If they merged it down to three or four servers, sure, but even then it's not worth continuing development for.

Biggest MMO flop ever.

Lowca was never a high pop server, others have a good bit more players but yea I'm sure the team on SWG are a skeleton crew none the less.

They cannot merger the servers do to the way the game is constructed, there are far to many hurdles. First of which, who decides who gets to keep their homes and businesses surrounding the cities? Second all the resources are unique to each server, who decides which resources stay and which go?

Last, it's not remotely the biggest MMOG flop ever. There was a time (just after the CU hit,) where more then a million people were playing. But mere months later the NGE ruined that.

Biggest MMOG flop ever - Dark & Light.

Re: No subject
Aug 8, 2008, 17:17
Re: No subject Aug 8, 2008, 17:17
Aug 8, 2008, 17:17

If you expected something seriously star wars about SWG you wouldn't really find it back in the day.

But if you were looking for a solid, open, RP friendly sandbox MMOG, it was amonst the best.

I still miss SWG horribly and if the NGE never came out (hell I even didn't mind the CU, and it did bring back tuns and tuns of players,) I would still likely be playing it and having a ball.

I hope Biowares KotOR MMOG has 1/100th of the feel that SWG did. If it does.. it'll be my MMOG for years.

I've tried going back since the NGE hit but it just isn't the same. Not even remotely close to the same. Though it has gotten much better since the NGE first hit.
This comment was edited on Aug 8, 17:21.

No subject
Aug 8, 2008, 16:31
No subject Aug 8, 2008, 16:31
Aug 8, 2008, 16:31

I played the game for a year and a half, the Jump to light speed expansion kept me on for a little longer when it came out... the game wasn't fun, I kept hoping that it would get better, the star wars fanboy in me was hoping it to be true... it never did.

I tried it out recently again, it still reeked of failure. they added actual quests an such, changed classes.. it was too little and way too late.

Re: It will be a cold day on Hoth...
Aug 8, 2008, 16:04
Kxmode

Re: It will be a cold day on Hoth... Aug 8, 2008, 16:04
Aug 8, 2008, 16:04
 Kxmode

Err... long day at work. What I meant to say...

It will be a cold day on Tatooine before I ever play SWG again.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Aug 8, 2008, 16:01
Re: What? Aug 8, 2008, 16:01
Aug 8, 2008, 16:01

It is also clear from the boards that those few that remain have perhaps the narrowest blinders I've ever seen in an online community.

Youre pretty young then I guess. And you havent played WoW yet.
I have given up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

Aug 8, 2008, 15:50
Re: What? Aug 8, 2008, 15:50
Aug 8, 2008, 15:50

But the fact remains, it's a minority of people that want server mergers. But as is the norm in any MMO, the ones that cry and complain the loudest will get heard, if for any other reason to shut their whiny asses the fuck up.

Actually, the fact remains that the large and vast majority of players complained and then left when nothing was done. Per usual, SOE is replying too little, too late.

What is left is a very small core population of people like yourself that will willingly pay $50 to have their character moved to one of the three active servers. The rest of us recognized that option for what it is and moved on.

I do know what I'm talking about. I've gone back and given SWG another chance twice now, and its state is disrepair is so dramatic it is officially beyond salvage. It is also clear from the boards that those few that remain have perhaps the narrowest blinders I've ever seen in an online community.

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 15:51.

It will be a cold day on Hoth...
Aug 8, 2008, 15:42
Kxmode

It will be a cold day on Hoth... Aug 8, 2008, 15:42
Aug 8, 2008, 15:42
 Kxmode

...before I play SWG ever again.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Aug 8, 2008, 15:25
Re: What? Aug 8, 2008, 15:25
Aug 8, 2008, 15:25

Dont't call us clueless when people have played the game for two years ..the game was completely mismanaged with the "NGE".Remember the bug that prevented you going any further in the start up during the new game enhancements..."get on the falcon kid!" yeah but I couldnt.. i think from memory it took the best part of a week to sort that one....it was not a perfect game before that but what it is now is still buggy and not just NOT star wars...the latest update contained a questline about the meatlump king....yes that staple character in starwars?!..hopeless.Lucasarts chased the WOW carrot.

You dont want server mergers? I'll leave you with this thought..during my reactivated time I was attending an in game event where vader was supposed to land and award a player with a title...guess what there was me and one other guy waiting for the sith lord to bestow this great honor on us...very starwarsy (SOEtm). whata terrible waste of an IP...and you know it..

Aug 8, 2008, 15:02
Re: What? Aug 8, 2008, 15:02
Aug 8, 2008, 15:02

rofl.
geez I feel so dirty laughing about jokes that come from people that are total morons.
I have given up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

Re: Used to be a good game
Aug 8, 2008, 14:59
Re: Used to be a good game Aug 8, 2008, 14:59
Aug 8, 2008, 14:59

I bought SWG the day it was released and played for a week, it was awful. I don't know why everybody talks as if "The game was so awesome and then they messed it up!" Game was never even remotely close to being any good at any point in time, before all those changes or afterwards.

Why oh why isn't anyone trying to make a game like Ultima Online?

QFT!

I just had a half hour conversation with someone at work as to why I played Ultima Online on and off for 10 years *mostly on player run servers after about 4 years due to some unsavory changes such as Trammel*, and why I can't play many other MMOs for longer than a month or two without unsubscribing.

Re: Used to be a good game
Aug 8, 2008, 14:34
Re: Used to be a good game Aug 8, 2008, 14:34
Aug 8, 2008, 14:34

are old accounts still activated? wish I had heard, I havent been in since nge and always wondered what it's looking like, just not enough to activate my account

Used to be a good game
Aug 8, 2008, 13:58
Used to be a good game Aug 8, 2008, 13:58
Aug 8, 2008, 13:58

SWG used to be a good game back in the days, they totally killed it though. Its sad really that when a game is sandbox and player driven that the devs always screw it up, DAMN YOU EVERQUEST AND WORLD OF WARCRAFT!!! those two games have doomed MMORPGS for a long time.
Why oh why isn't anyone trying to make a game like Ultima Online? I would kill for a MMORPG which wasn't heavily instanced, player ran and not full of kill 100 rat type quests.
The only hope left is Darkfall which is think is gonna fail due to the over ambitious nature of it, oh well I can dream.

Re: Shame...
Aug 8, 2008, 13:53
Re: Shame... Aug 8, 2008, 13:53
Aug 8, 2008, 13:53

After the NGE, they might as well have changed the name to World of Star Wars Craft.
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

Shame...
Aug 8, 2008, 12:52
Shame... Aug 8, 2008, 12:52
Aug 8, 2008, 12:52

Was a player until the NGE.Recently went back to the game when the old accounts were activated.It was sad to see the game in such a state.Quite frankly the control system was a complete joke UI unworkable.What a shame it had to end up like this.Its been shockingly managed and the use of the star wars "canon" puts to rest the myth that lucas has a team of people vetting every change to the game.I think I read that gardening was going to be put in soon...."luke!! give me hand with those crops boy!!" "ok uncle owen!!

What a complete and utter waste of time....

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 12:53.

Re: OMG Vehicle combat!
Aug 8, 2008, 11:38
Re: OMG Vehicle combat! Aug 8, 2008, 11:38
Aug 8, 2008, 11:38

I'm sorry. AnarKane can't respond right now.

His mom yelled down the stairs to the basement that he needs to take the trash out and remove all that crap from his little sister's bike.

"But mom, that's my landspeeder!" he slurs around his mouthpiece and headgear.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

OMG Vehicle combat!
Aug 8, 2008, 11:34
OMG Vehicle combat! Aug 8, 2008, 11:34
Aug 8, 2008, 11:34

Just in time for nobody to give a shit!

Aug 8, 2008, 11:31
Re: What? Aug 8, 2008, 11:31
Aug 8, 2008, 11:31

Gotta love comments by clueless jackasses that don't play the game. Yes, there's maybe three servers that have what I would call a "robust" population. But the fact remains, it's a minority of people that want server mergers. But as is the norm in any MMO, the ones that cry and complain the loudest will get heard, if for any other reason to shut their whiny asses the fuck up.

Come, boy, see for yourself. From here, you will witness the final destruction of SWG and the end of your insignificant server population. You want this, don't you?

* Takes a Battle of Echo Base game box and lights it on fire *

The hate is swelling in you now. Take your PC keyboard. Use it. I am unarmed. Flame me now with it. Give in to your anger! With each passing moment you make yourself more my servant.
LOLOL
This comment was edited on Aug 8, 11:32.
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older