Diablo III Art Director to Change, Art Direction to Stay

The Blizzard Entertainment Employment Opportunities Website now lists Art Director for Diablo III as an open position (thanks Kotaku), which causes recent controversy over the game's art direction (story) to come to mind. IncGamers has a follow-up statement from Blizzard indicating that this was not based on fan complaints about the art direction, and that the new art director will continue along the same path:
Regarding Brian, he recently resigned to form a startup technology company (outside the game industry), which is why we've posted about the open position. This change won't impact the game: we're really pleased with the look and feel that Brian helped create for Diablo III, and the new person we bring onboard will work with the other artists on the team to maintain the art style moving forward.
View : : :
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: No subject
Aug 18, 2008, 10:10
nin

Re: No subject Aug 18, 2008, 10:10
Aug 18, 2008, 10:10
 nin

I have friends who do PR for a living.

I wouldn't call anyone who works in PR a friend.

------------------------------------------------
http://theslip.nin.com/
"The Bellic boys! Taking over your town, assholes!"

Aug 18, 2008, 10:06
Re: No subject Aug 18, 2008, 10:06
Aug 18, 2008, 10:06

Verno, you actually believe press releases? I have friends who do PR for a living. Something happened internally and decisions were made that we'll never know about. The press release lets both parties save face, which is often the point of press releases.

Yea, the fuzzy water color look cant be changed this late in the process. agreed. But they might be able to tweak post-processing effects.

Aug 11, 2008, 16:14
Verno

Re: No subject Aug 11, 2008, 16:14
Aug 11, 2008, 16:14
 Verno

That the D3 art director just left the job VERY likely indicates Blizzard is doing something internally about the look, even if that are not talking about it to the press. Duh.

Both Blizzard and the art director himself have stated he left to join a startup company outside the gaming industry, it's completely unrelated to Diablo III. People change jobs all the time man. Not only that but Blizzard has stated twice now that they are not changing the art direction of the game, they've given their reasons why and said even if they wanted to that the game is too far along in development to go back to the drawing board. Sorry but you're going to have to live with some "fuzzy water color"

Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder

No subject
Aug 10, 2008, 07:47
No subject Aug 10, 2008, 07:47
Aug 10, 2008, 07:47

That the D3 art director just left the job VERY likely indicates Blizzard is doing something internally about the look, even if that are not talking about it to the press. Duh.

No sane person suggests that the pics represent the whole game but the "dark dungeon screenpics" have a fuzzy water color painted look that works at odds against what a dungeon is supposed to look like in Diablo; that is, unless you are making a Fable 2 game. The 'rainbow'in the outdoor screenpics is the least of the issues.

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 07:54.

Aug 9, 2008, 10:41
Verno

Re: No subject Aug 9, 2008, 10:41
Aug 9, 2008, 10:41
 Verno

It astounds me at the lack of consideration given around here when people voice their concerns. I hated the cartoony graphics of WoW from the first day I saw them, and I still do. The fact that 10 million subscribers don't feel the same way about the graphics as I do is perfectly fine with me--they can play WoW, and I won't. The point is that Blizzard offered a different game with a very different atmosphere for me: it was called Diablo II. So I was hugely excited for the DIII announcement because it carried the Diablo name, but I was not excited to see that it actually looked like "World of Warcraft: Hack'n Slash RPG With Diablo Characters". I am disappointed, not because I am a fan of Blizzard but because I am a fan of Diablo. So why do people respond to these concerns with "Who cares you whiny fanboy? Blizzard can do whatever they want and you'll still buy it". The point is that I will be buying a game that does not live up to its full potential by evoking the atmosphere of its predecessors. If you are glad about that because you like WoW better than Diablo, then just say so. But don't spout on about whiny Blizzard fans...Please. Enough people share this concern that it is quite obviously valid on its face.

In the same token, it astounds me at the lack of understanding around here about a decade old game with 2d sprites on pre-rendered backgrounds being updated to a 3d engine. People have seen 20 cherry picked minutes of gameplay that was meant to showcase the versatility of the engine and are freaking out as if the sky is falling. They've seen one area and assume the entire game is rainbows and unicorns. Geez!

Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder

no contract
Aug 8, 2008, 15:45
Kxmode

no contract Aug 8, 2008, 15:45
Aug 8, 2008, 15:45
 Kxmode

This industry isn't like the NBA. Employees have every right to leave a company. The person they employ will just need to be brought up to speed on the current art direction and take it from there. A professional art director has the ability to do this. Blizzard will no doubt hire the best, because, well, they have the money to do so.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

$100 to every person
Aug 8, 2008, 13:43
$100 to every person Aug 8, 2008, 13:43
Aug 8, 2008, 13:43

$100 to every person not liking the Art Direction, who will NOT play D3 because of it. Hey? Where did everybody go?

Aug 8, 2008, 12:28
Re: No subject Aug 8, 2008, 12:28
Aug 8, 2008, 12:28

If you don't like the colours don't play it. If you think D3 looks like WoW, you need to check out the D3 screenshots and video again.

People need to stop whining about this. Blizzard has already said no, and no means no. If you don't agree with it, don't buy the game so you send Blizzard a message. I doubt Blizzard will care anyway.

Aug 8, 2008, 11:13
Re: No subject Aug 8, 2008, 11:13
Aug 8, 2008, 11:13

It astounds me at the lack of consideration given around here when people voice their concerns. I hated the cartoony graphics of WoW from the first day I saw them, and I still do. The fact that 10 million subscribers don't feel the same way about the graphics as I do is perfectly fine with me--they can play WoW, and I won't. The point is that Blizzard offered a different game with a very different atmosphere for me: it was called Diablo II. So I was hugely excited for the DIII announcement because it carried the Diablo name, but I was not excited to see that it actually looked like "World of Warcraft: Hack'n Slash RPG With Diablo Characters". I am disappointed, not because I am a fan of Blizzard but because I am a fan of Diablo. So why do people respond to these concerns with "Who cares you whiny fanboy? Blizzard can do whatever they want and you'll still buy it". The point is that I will be buying a game that does not live up to its full potential by evoking the atmosphere of its predecessors. If you are glad about that because you like WoW better than Diablo, then just say so. But don't spout on about whiny Blizzard fans...Please. Enough people share this concern that it is quite obviously valid on its face.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aug 8, 2008, 10:25
Re: No subject Aug 8, 2008, 10:25
Aug 8, 2008, 10:25

Because I think they are obvious. Just look at the class balance, at Blizzard doing patchups instead of fixing things, at Blizzards lame (literally) way to fix serious issues.

Should I really list all that crap here? It has been said several times before in threads like these. Still people like you dont get it or ignore it with a passion.

I am sorry. I have been playing computer games for over 25 years now and I know what to look for in screenshots and videos. If you cant see those flaws, youre being ignorant.
The gameplay may be nice but the looks just only say "meh" to me. Actually its "gasp" in a negative way. Not only do the graphics look like from a game that was announced 5 years ago, I actually facepalmed when I saw the similarities to WoW in some screenshots. Some models and textures are right out "stolen" from WoW. I bet you want an argument for that. sure here it is:
Compare some textures to those in WoW. They are almost the same, only smaller (thus looking more high res) and different color). In one picture the complete handrailing is a model from WoW. And in another picture the candle holder looks like its imported straight from WoW aswell.
Im too lazy to search those screen shots for you now. I did that before in another forum, and people still acted ignorant, so you might understand why I wont do it here again.

Exactly. If it aint broke, why fix it?
You dont really see how far D3 is from D1&2, do you? I noticed many people dont notice it. Its pretty funny and I can only explain it with blind fanboyism.
I mean its like telling a guy with his car that he has a dent in the bumper. Its there but he just doesnt want to see it. Its creepy, even though its just a game. But if it happens in games, it surely happens in RL too. Thats whats making it scary.

Oh yeah and I played WoW for so long because it was actually innovative at the beginning and the support was much better back then too. And if you ever played a MMO you know how hard it is to quit with all the time and effort you put in your chars. Even if the game totally sucks.

But theres also things that havent changed. For example the lag and netcode is still as bad and shitty as on day one with overloaded slow ass servers.

But it really doesnt matter. Blizzard makes lots of money with their simplistic (in every way) crap and people love em for that.
Ultimatively, just because of that, they can laugh at every critic thrown at them.

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 10:31.
I have given up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

Aug 8, 2008, 09:15
Re: No subject Aug 8, 2008, 09:15
Aug 8, 2008, 09:15

You have not stated even a single argument for your claims.

Not one! You played WOW for 4 years? Why the fuck did you do that if its all bullshit????

We have seen what one gameplay video, 2 classes, and about 10 screenshots and on the basis of that you are claiming that the game is going to be MEH????

Diablo2 was basically a Diablo1 clone with more defined characters and unique skill trees. Not exactly inovative but damn was it FUN!!! If it aint broke why fix it?? It seems to be what they are doing for starcraftII, so why not with Diablo3???

I have a nifty blue line!

Aug 8, 2008, 08:56
Re: No subject Aug 8, 2008, 08:56
Aug 8, 2008, 08:56

Ive played WoW for 4 years and I know its not bullshit. Blizzard is turning away from quality. But thats how the market works nowadays. Quantity > Quality. Not Blizzard is to blame, its the players that eat every shit without question.

Yes, they are indeed listening to their "hardcore fans" fanbois. And thats why they are keeping this WoW infested design in D3.

People petitioned to have quality. A game that follows the Diablo line of games. A game that sets itself apart from its clones.
Blizzard is ignoring this, so they have chosen their way.

Another interesting thing is that if these screenshots and gameplay vids would belong to a different title from a different developer, people would just go "meh".

But who cares. ITS BLIZZAAAAAAAARD!!!! OMG OMG OMG OMG!
I have given up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

Aug 8, 2008, 08:05
Re: No subject Aug 8, 2008, 08:05
Aug 8, 2008, 08:05

Muscular Beaver, that is bullshit and you know it.

Blizzard is famous for making quality FUN games. That is the main reason why they are so popular. There isnt some conspiracy or some other "hidden" reason. I know that is the reason why I bought nearly every single Blizzard title. Even WOW which I hate, I have to acknowledge is a well made quality title. If they made shit games im pretty sure they would lose that reputation and as a result their sales would suffer.

One other thing Blizzard is famous for is listening and actually caring about its hardcore fans. They dont do this out of "the goodness of their heart" but because satisfied fans are the "evangelists of marketing". In other words happy customers = MORE MONEY!

Im pretty sure that if more companies followed their example there would be no "CRYSIS IN PC GAMING" that everyone, and everywhere is ascribing to whatever factors.

If you make good, quality games, and stick to what works in PC Gaming, people will buy them. End of story.

No subject
Aug 8, 2008, 07:06
No subject Aug 8, 2008, 07:06
Aug 8, 2008, 07:06

C'mon folks. Art design really matters in a game. So if Blizzard wants to make Diablo look all orange like WOW, that isnt great news. Frankly, I didnt love the screenpics and I'm happy to see the art director go away. Blizzard isnt saying the whole truth of course in the press release. My hunch is that they went to Brian and said "Let's make some levels more dark and gothic looking" and Brian said "no thanks" and now Brian is gone less than one month later.

Aug 8, 2008, 06:21
... Aug 8, 2008, 06:21
Aug 8, 2008, 06:21

Why should you do something different if you have so many fanboys anyway?
They can actually make this game look exactly like Titan Quest or even completely fucked up in gameplay and graphics (graphics are really close already) and people will still buy it in masses because its from Blizzard. And "Blizzard never makes crap".

Aug 8, 2008, 04:47
Re: No subject Aug 8, 2008, 04:47
Aug 8, 2008, 04:47

I dont mind the art direction as long as it stays IN ART. Let me clarify, if they start including Bind on pickup items or other gameplay altering shit like that, which clearly belongs in MMORPGS and WOW, then Blizzard can go to fucking hell.

Aug 8, 2008, 03:29
Re: No subject Aug 8, 2008, 03:29
Aug 8, 2008, 03:29

I liked warcraft cartoon style graphics. When they were only in warcraft that is, and starcraft had its futuristic sci-fi style and diablo had its gothic horror style.

Yeah that. I'm not offended by the new Diablo look, but it definitely isn't as distinct from their other IPs as it used to be. Maybe being distinct is too risky for modern day Blizzard?

It's just gonna be yet another grind festival that appeals big time to WoW people anyway. Not sure I'll even pick up D3. Been there done that. I think I'd rather play the oldies.

Re: On noez!
Aug 8, 2008, 01:02
Re: On noez! Aug 8, 2008, 01:02
Aug 8, 2008, 01:02

Why cater to the goth/emo crowd? They're just going to pirate it anyway.

Wasn't Diablo released before the goth crowd became popular?

Aug 8, 2008, 00:01
Re: No subject Aug 8, 2008, 00:01
Aug 8, 2008, 00:01

You want a darker game, turn your fucking gamma down. Problem solved.

exactly that!

anytime i saw those photoshopped pics, all i thought was that they had just turned the gamma down.

On noez!
Aug 7, 2008, 22:19
On noez! Aug 7, 2008, 22:19
Aug 7, 2008, 22:19

Why cater to the goth/emo crowd? They're just going to pirate it anyway.

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older