Warner: Music Games Must Pay More

Warner Music Chief Executive Edgar Bronfman says he thinks music games will need to pay greater licensing fees in the future to include songs in music-based games such as Rock Band and Guitar Hero. This seems to defy the logic that such games have actually benefited music sales by creating a new revenue stream for songs and sparking renewed interest in older artists and their materials, but he does not see it that way, as he says, "The amount being paid to the music industry, even though their games are entirely dependent on the content we own and control, is far too small." Must be heartening to be a musician and hear a label refer to your music as "content we own and control."
View : : :
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: No subject
Aug 8, 2008, 08:10
Re: No subject Aug 8, 2008, 08:10
Aug 8, 2008, 08:10

Hamster, thats a pretty damn good idea in all seriousness....

Why not design and market an app like that, it will make you billions in advertising alone. Like you said it could be free.

I have a nifty blue line!

Aug 7, 2008, 17:56
Re: No subject Aug 7, 2008, 17:56
Aug 7, 2008, 17:56

Bah, I've bought three albums because of these music games. Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Who and Boston. But they just don't see that, conveniently enough.

The problem is that they're hearing about how much money these music games are making, and they want a bigger piece of the pie.

Aug 7, 2008, 16:22
Re: No subject Aug 7, 2008, 16:22
Aug 7, 2008, 16:22

You know, and Indie Version of Guitar Hero or Rock Band would be pretty cool.

Creative Commons Hero! It just keeps downloading free music based on what you like. Once you've played a song, you can click, "I liked it" and it'll save it in to your music library and find you more stuff like it.

Hmm. It would probably only work as a free PC game though.

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 16:23.

No subject
Aug 7, 2008, 15:39
No subject Aug 7, 2008, 15:39
Aug 7, 2008, 15:39

Man...shit like this makes me want to stop buying music. I'm not a huge My Chemical Romance fan, but I liked the song in GH II so I went out and bought the album.

So, not only did the publisher of said MCR album make money on the licensing of the song to Harmonix....but they also made money they would not hve otherwise made from me going out and buying the CD.

The music games out there are nothing but a huge boost to the music industry and now they want to bitch about not making enough money from the companies that are PAYING them to advertise their music? That shit only happens in bizzaro world

V
How will I know limits from lies if I never try?

Aug 7, 2008, 15:31
nin
Re: No subject Aug 7, 2008, 15:31
Aug 7, 2008, 15:31
nin

You know, and Indie Version of Guitar Hero or Rock Band would be pretty cool. They have the player base so they could probably sell the game even if people haven't heard of the bands. It would then most likely result in selling amounts of music the included bands could only dream of previously.

I'd buy that in a second. Both the bonus tracks in Rock Band and the soundtrack to GTA4 featured artists I hadn't heard of, but enjoyed enough that I hunted down more of their material to check out.

------------------------------------------------
http://theslip.nin.com/
"The Bellic boys! Taking over your town, assholes!"

Aug 7, 2008, 15:26
Re: No subject Aug 7, 2008, 15:26
Aug 7, 2008, 15:26

Rock Band and Guitar hero are amazing advertising for the music in them. Anyways this probably won't get too far. All either of these franchises has to do is threaten to not include Warner Music in their games.

All it would take is one "Guitar Hero: Indie Rock" or "Indie Rock Band" to get the major labels to change their tune and beg to get back in the game. Plus the small indie labels would kill to get in on something like this so you could probably get the songs for free if you wanted.

You know, and Indie Version of Guitar Hero or Rock Band would be pretty cool. They have the player base so they could probably sell the game even if people haven't heard of the bands. It would then most likely result in selling amounts of music the included bands could only dream of previously.

Aug 7, 2008, 15:01
Re: No subject Aug 7, 2008, 15:01
Aug 7, 2008, 15:01

When Guitar Hero: Legends of Rock was released, Dragonforce's album featuring Through the Fire and the Flames saw an almost instantaneous 126% increase in sales.
That means they doubled and then some.
That's how many years after the original release????

That's the problem when you have people in charge who have no idea what they have there. The irony is their own greed will actually result in them making less money.

Re: ...
Aug 7, 2008, 14:51
Re: ... Aug 7, 2008, 14:51
Aug 7, 2008, 14:51

Show some empathy for goodness sake!

And some respect! You're not supposed to make fun of a dying person, dammit!

Aug 7, 2008, 14:38
Re: ... Aug 7, 2008, 14:38
Aug 7, 2008, 14:38

Labels should be able to make money - they've taken the financial risk and supported the artists - but they shouldn't screw over everybody just to make a bit more.
Welcome to Government-Backed Cartels 101. This is what happens when you don't have a free market.

I'm not going to condone pirating music (or anything else), but I have no sympathy for the music industry who have shown a complete inability to change with the changing market.
You've gotta look at it from their perspective. They've spent decades perfecting their corrupt system. How can they be expected to adapt to modern ways of doing things without exposing that corruption? These things take time.

They have to buy all sorts of new laws to let them to extract money from us as they please. Then they have to spend more time and effort forcing hardware makers to do as they say and ensure that we can't interact with the media we purchase except in ways that they explicitly permit. That takes time too. You really gotta feel their pain. Show some empathy for goodness sake!

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

No subject
Aug 7, 2008, 14:30
No subject Aug 7, 2008, 14:30
Aug 7, 2008, 14:30

When Guitar Hero: Legends of Rock was released, Dragonforce's album featuring Through the Fire and the Flames saw an almost instantaneous 126% increase in sales.
That means they doubled and then some.
That's how many years after the original release????

Yeah.
...Ooh! Another discography finished downloading. Pardon me, I have to go peruse torrents.

well
Aug 7, 2008, 14:15
well Aug 7, 2008, 14:15
Aug 7, 2008, 14:15

"Must be heartening to be a musician and hear a label refer to your music as "content we own and control."

How many musicians do you think will actually hear this? The people they talk to are in the biz, and they wont tell their gold egg laying ducks the truth now, will they.

No subject
Aug 7, 2008, 14:06
No subject Aug 7, 2008, 14:06
Aug 7, 2008, 14:06

"Jeez guys, I just can't understand why so many people are pirating music nowadays...."

fucking suit.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Re: Must be heartening to be a musician...
Aug 7, 2008, 13:35
Re: Must be heartening to be a musician... Aug 7, 2008, 13:35
Aug 7, 2008, 13:35

Bronfman is an idiot. No wonder his end of the industry is in serious decline.

No subject
Aug 7, 2008, 13:28
No subject Aug 7, 2008, 13:28
Aug 7, 2008, 13:28

The revenue stream will last a few years and then "Johnny Consoler" will be bored with anything like Rock Band. The game companies know that and that's why RB2 is coming out just a year after RB1. Its not a sustainable revenue stream like iTunes is.

Aug 7, 2008, 13:20
DG
Re: ... Aug 7, 2008, 13:20
Aug 7, 2008, 13:20
DG

Were it not for their cartel position, the music industry dinosaurs would have died years ago, and the innovating winners would be reaping due rewards. The industry is so out of date even major individual bands are bypassing them, most notably Nine Inch Nails and Radiohead but now even "our fans are thieves" Metallica.

I'm not going to condone pirating music (or anything else), but I have no sympathy for the music industry who have shown a complete inability to change with the changing market.

BTW does anyone know how much of the price of these songs is going as royalties?

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 13:22.

Aug 7, 2008, 13:09
PHJF

Re: ... Aug 7, 2008, 13:09
Aug 7, 2008, 13:09
 PHJF

Same happend, when iTunes turns out to be a major success. The labels wanted more, Apple refused ... and finally won, because the labels STILL have no alternative to iTunes as a sales plattform.

Which is exactly what I would expect Rock Band and Guitar Hero to do... just ignore Warner clients when making their next games, if they actually demand higher royalties. Then maybe they'll realize, "Hey, we're getting free money, maybe we should shut our fucking pieholes and just enjoy it."
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Aug 7, 2008, 12:55
Re: ... Aug 7, 2008, 12:55
Aug 7, 2008, 12:55

So they licensed the music for a price they obviously thought was appropriate and now that they realise they could make even more money they want to renegotiate the agreement?

While possible, my read on it was that they were talking for sequels and such, not the current generation. Seems unlikely they could do anything on that front. Basically I expect they plan to increase the licensing fees for the inevitable sequels.

adage
Aug 7, 2008, 12:49
Kxmode

adage Aug 7, 2008, 12:49
Aug 7, 2008, 12:49
 Kxmode

"Greed knows no bounds"
"Greed trumps logic"

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Aug 7, 2008, 12:36
Re: ... Aug 7, 2008, 12:36
Aug 7, 2008, 12:36

So they licensed the music for a price they obviously thought was appropriate and now that they realise they could make even more money they want to renegotiate the agreement?

Yeah, pretty slimy. I mean, usually if you sell huge numbers the price per unit gets cheaper not the other way around. They should be happy for all the money they rake in from these games that they did exactly nothing for.

Fully automatic backups with Ocster Backup Pro 3
http://www.ocster.com

Aug 7, 2008, 12:20
Re: ... Aug 7, 2008, 12:20
Aug 7, 2008, 12:20

Same happend, when iTunes turns out to be a major success. The labels wanted more, Apple refused ... and finally won, because the labels STILL have no alternative to iTunes as a sales plattform.

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 12:20.
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older