Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

id Turned Down MMO Quake

id Software turned down offers of "good money" to develop a Quake MMOG says John Carmack in a Q&A tidbit on Shacknews, who adds that id "has no interest in MMO development," and will not be attempting a project like that anytime soon, saying he is "fully cognizant" of the challenges and risks associated with MMO game development. They quote another recent conversation with the id Software technical director where he points out that development of Quake Live is a "significant effort" for the company and they underestimated how difficult it would be to get up to speed on all the website and database backend development such a project entails.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Browser Games Aug 5, 2008, 06:00 Dmitri_M

I have some buddies who don't really want to buy a full game and don't really have the hardware for new games

Your friends are casual gamers?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Browser Games Aug 5, 2008, 02:36 Flo

You know, after playing Fallen Empire: Legions I'm excited about browser games. Why? Because I have some buddies who don't really want to buy a full game and don't really have the hardware for new games. Now I can just tell them to fire up the browser and we'll duke it out  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

11. No subject Aug 5, 2008, 00:56 Dev

I'm glad at least SOME company isn't falling over themselves with greed when watching WoW's success and then killing themselves developing a MMO.

Most companies that announce MMO's have NO FREAKING CLUE wtf is involved in one. They think "we will make it and they will come" and have no idea of the challanges.
Hellgate london is just the most recent example.

10. Re: We're not interested in MMOs Aug 4, 2008, 20:33 sponge

We'd much rather focus on churning out console shovelware with pretty graphics! And a car!

Do you even know what shovelware means? What's shovelware about a post-apocalyptic shooter with driving and FPS portions? Or the fact that it's not a 6 month dev cycle?

Or are you just using it the term because you often hear it with consoles, and it lets you put something in a bad light without actually explaining your opinion at all.

9. No subject Aug 4, 2008, 20:03 Skoll

I'm sure this was a wise move for id, but I find it a bit amusing since the original teaser for Quake sounded very much like the way most MMOs play. That was back when it was going to be more fantasy/melee based than a sci-fi shooter.

Also I think id had the idea of a quake level exit taking you, potentially, to a different server so you could have an internetworked world across many machines. That sounds kind of MMOish too.

Seems like they've been dreaming up MMO concepts for a long time. Of course, this is all ancient history so maybe I'm misremembering...

8. We're not interested in MMOs Aug 4, 2008, 20:03 Creston

We'd much rather focus on churning out console shovelware with pretty graphics! And a car!

Creston

7. Re: Are you kidding me? Aug 4, 2008, 19:36 Warskull

I'm still waiting for a high budget non-Raven developed MP focused Quake game that adds a couple of new tech features (..i don't know, destructible environments?). The realism team based MP games of the last few years are starting to wear thin. Sure it's easy to fire up 'ol Quake 1 or 3 again, but it'd be nice seeing some new tech.

I don't think you are going to see that for a long time (or possibly ever.) id and a few companies seem to be testing the water with browser games such as Quake Live. If you think about it, it is a brilliant move. Charge players small amounts of money or support the games with ads ($5-10), require them to have an account (so it isn't pirated), and have lower system requirements (1-2 previous generations.) Throw in quality addictive multiplayer action and you have a recipe for a strong multiplayer game. Instead of burning resources on a single player campaign or a large amount of maps to justify a $50 cost to many players. They just focus on a handful of good maps and good multiplayer game types. Hit the same niche X-box Live Arcade and Wiiware/Virtual console hit.

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 19:37.

6. No subject Aug 4, 2008, 17:38 Entr0py24

At least id knows what it's good at, they've been pretty damn successful making FPS games exclusively, no reason to mess with a working formula. I do think Quake Live was a bad direction to go into, but I bet that only takes a fraction of their development time, since it's essentially a rerelease of Quake III only with less blood and more banner ads.

5. Re: Are you kidding me? Aug 4, 2008, 16:21 Dmitri_M

I'm still waiting for a high budget non-Raven developed MP focused Quake game that adds a couple of new tech features (..i don't know, destructible environments?). The realism team based MP games of the last few years are starting to wear thin. Sure it's easy to fire up 'ol Quake 1 or 3 again, but it'd be nice seeing some new tech.
This comment was edited on Aug 4, 16:25.

4. Re: Are you kidding me? Aug 4, 2008, 16:12 sponge

You hit shambler with Rocket Launcher for 10 damage
Shambler has been killed
Level up
Ability gain: +1 rockets

Needs more IFQuake:
http://loonyboi.com/if/quake/about.htm

3. Re: Has anyone actually probed Aug 4, 2008, 16:05 Wildone

first;)))

2. Are you kidding me? Aug 4, 2008, 16:04 Flo

Wow just think about it!

You hit shambler with Rocket Launcher for 10 damage
Shambler has been killed
Level up
Ability gain: +1 rockets

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

1. Has anyone actually probed Aug 4, 2008, 16:04 Wildone

John Carmack, to see if he's human or not?!;)

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo