Fallout 3 Q&A

The Fallout 3 Q&A on No Mutants Allowed is a translation of a Q&A about Bethesda's upcoming RPG sequel that was originally published in French.
View : : :
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: No subject
Jul 31, 2008, 10:29
Re: No subject Jul 31, 2008, 10:29
Jul 31, 2008, 10:29

Yes, because publishing a game made by someone else, or a lead designer being hired by another company after the company he worked for went belly up after one of the most bug filled major RPG releases ever validates anything.

If you believe FO3 would be a better game, and be a greater success if it was isometric well more power to you. The NMA crowd agrees.

As would the writer of this utterly biased Q&A probably.

Again you miss the point of either my post or the Q&A.
My biggest problem with FO3 isnt that its Oblivion with guns. I have no problem with it being a clone of Oblivion, combatwise at least.

The problem with FO3 is whether or not it will stay true to the original with regards to:

1) Diversity of well written quests and NPCs
2) Dark Humour and many hidden pop-culture references
3) Depth of character development

If it stays true to these three things Im sure it will be a great game, but according to the Q&A and the person previewing the game, it simply doesnt have these things. Nowhere does the preview complain that there is no isometric view. There is a complaint about the very strange over the shoulder camera which does erratic stuff and doesnt work too well.

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 10:34.
I have a nifty blue line!

Jul 31, 2008, 10:09
Re: No subject Jul 31, 2008, 10:09
Jul 31, 2008, 10:09

They have always had excellent mod support out of the box (or at least a few months later) Im pretty sure, that fans of the Original Fallouts (or even the original designers disguised as modders) will probably fix this game in no time, when Bethesda releases the mod tools. I expect a plethora of New quests, humorous pop-culture references, funny as hell NPCs, killable children, hookers, perks, and improvements in general.
I remember it taking quite a while for them to release a mesh importer for the game, but I hope you're right about it being modder-friendly. I'll have to keep an eye on the mod community after it gets released to see how things go.

If you believe FO3 would be a better game, and be a greater success if it was isometric well more power to you. The NMA crowd agrees.

It's not just the perspective or the combat that are the problem. This is shaping up to be another Shadowrun. So I have to ask, if the developers want to go off and create something completely different from the previous games, why drag a beloved franchise through the mud in the process? Why not just create something new rather than piss off what would normally be a built-in fanbase? Microsoft/FASA Interactive didn't get it either, and their Shadowrun game deserved the hate that it received. I see this turning out much the same, except probably a lot buggier.

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 10:09.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Jul 31, 2008, 08:59
Re: No subject Jul 31, 2008, 08:59
Jul 31, 2008, 08:59

Yes, because publishing a game made by someone else, or a lead designer being hired by another company after the company he worked for went belly up after one of the most bug filled major RPG releases ever validates anything.

Jul 31, 2008, 07:12
Re: No subject Jul 31, 2008, 07:12
Jul 31, 2008, 07:12

No Mutants Allowed forums went on and on about how they would have prefered Black Isle/Troika/Interplay to have made the game after Bethesda bought the rights.

All of which are bankrupt, or totally out of business.

Hence my statement.

Sammael, erm you do realise that Interplay went on to publish Baldurs Gate, as well as Baldurs Gate 2, which were phenomenally succesful ISOMETRIC cRPG games.

Interplay failed purely because of bad management and really bad bad leadership. Not because of lack of talent.

I hope you also realise that one of the lead designers of Fallout and Fallout 2 as well as the founder of Troika games, now works at Blizzard as lead designer of Diablo 3.

Now STFU before making an even more fool of yourself than you already have.

Jul 31, 2008, 06:39
Re: No subject Jul 31, 2008, 06:39
Jul 31, 2008, 06:39

One thing Bethesda has going for them though. They have always had excellent mod support out of the box (or at least a few months later) Im pretty sure, that fans of the Original Fallouts (or even the original designers disguised as modders) will probably fix this game in no time, when Bethesda releases the mod tools. I expect a plethora of New quests, humorous pop-culture references, funny as hell NPCs, killable children, hookers, perks, and improvements in general.

The community will make a decent game out of this, even if Bethesda makes a complete and utter turd.

Unless they take it one step further and decide to fuck us by not releasing mod tools.

Jul 31, 2008, 04:04
Re: No subject Jul 31, 2008, 04:04
Jul 31, 2008, 04:04

No Mutants Allowed forums went on and on about how they would have prefered Black Isle/Troika/Interplay to have made the game after Bethesda bought the rights.

All of which are bankrupt, or totally out of business.

Hence my statement.

Jul 30, 2008, 22:11
Re: No subject Jul 30, 2008, 22:11
Jul 30, 2008, 22:11

All I've seen on the site is people wanting it to be the same isometric view and turn based combat and eh, if Bethesda listened to the people on No Mutants Allowed when making their games they'd go out of business.
Actually, if they listened, they might end up making a halfway decent game. Are you guys forgetting that Bethesda cannot be trusted when it comes to talking about their games? Or that they aren't known for making intelligent decisions about their games? Oblivion was gonna be the second coming. Radiant AI was going to boggle your mind. The world was going to be alive and have tons of replayability. They didn't deliver on any of their promises, and the game was released as utter buggy shit that had to be salvaged by the mod community. If the modders hadn't fixed hundreds of bugs, fixed the horrible interface, fixed lame game mechanics, filled in all the missing content and added updated graphics and customization options, Oblivion would still be a pathetic console-ish pseudo-RPG.

Everyone was praising Oblivion based on the shit that Bethesda was shoveling, and when it was released it was all but unplayable. Now we're supposed to believe them instead of people that are actually asking the real questions we need answers to? Based on hands-on experience, even limited as it was (limited by Bethesda, naturally). I'll always believe someone looking at the game with a critical eye rather than take anything Bethesda says at face value.

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 22:16.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Jul 30, 2008, 19:50
Re: No subject Jul 30, 2008, 19:50
Jul 30, 2008, 19:50

The Q&A has nothing to do with NMA. It's from a French publication which asked for questions from its readers. NMA just posted a translated version of the Q&A online.

No subject
Jul 30, 2008, 19:35
No subject Jul 30, 2008, 19:35
Jul 30, 2008, 19:35

Just seems that it's a Q&A most likely to be on No Mutants Allowed.

No Mutants Allowed has been negative towards Fallout 3 since day 1.

All I've seen on the site is people wanting it to be the same isometric view and turn based combat and eh, if Bethesda listened to the people on No Mutants Allowed when making their games they'd go out of business.

No subject
Jul 30, 2008, 18:51
No subject Jul 30, 2008, 18:51
Jul 30, 2008, 18:51

You have to be kidding me. This Q&A, even if some of it is true, is so difficult to wade through the knee high BS that it makes any bit of veracity hidden within stink like the rest of it. I'd stay away from trusting anything this guy has to say. Now, can anyone point me to a hands-on that isn't setup like a weekend traveling carnival?

No subject
Jul 30, 2008, 14:16
No subject Jul 30, 2008, 14:16
Jul 30, 2008, 14:16

I think this also illustrates the failings of North American corporate culture. It's not what you know or how competent you are, it's who you know and how well you suck up to the management above you.

excellently put

and this statement itself also illustrates the true underpinnings of American power...

conspiracy

No subject
Jul 30, 2008, 12:05
No subject Jul 30, 2008, 12:05
Jul 30, 2008, 12:05

Oblivion with Guns

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

Jul 30, 2008, 11:53
Re: No subject Jul 30, 2008, 11:53
Jul 30, 2008, 11:53

I didn't find it biased at all; the guy answered the questions that were asked. Every comment he made about animations, AI, etc. was exactly my experience with Oblivion. Every NPC in Oblivion walks around like they have titanium rods stuck up their collective butts. That is not bias, that is fact, same with the brain dead AI.

How sad that such an amazing opportunity is being squandered.

I think this also illustrates the failings of North American corporate culture. It's not what you know or how competent you are, it's who you know and how well you suck up to the management above you. That's why we sit here scratching our heads wondering who the hell made these decisions.

Jul 30, 2008, 11:43
Re: No subject Jul 30, 2008, 11:43
Jul 30, 2008, 11:43

Bad animation, I expect but dull graphics is disappointing. Hopefully the PC version will have far better textures than the console counterpart.

The PC port of Oblivion was identical to the console version, low res textures and shit interface. Why would this be any different?
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

Jul 30, 2008, 09:02
Re: No subject Jul 30, 2008, 09:02
Jul 30, 2008, 09:02

Ecthelio sadly this is the way Ive been buying and playing games in general for the last few of years or so, lowering my expectations so much that mediocre games could make an impression.

....Works but doesn't really cut it....

No subject
Jul 30, 2008, 08:20
No subject Jul 30, 2008, 08:20
Jul 30, 2008, 08:20

Damn. It would have been nice if Bethesda had created a game that really stayed true to the series' roots. Then we would have seen if the folks at NMA would admit to being wrong and eat their words, or if they would complain anyway (I suspect the latter). Now they'll just say "we told you so."

It's still too early to know for sure, but it looks like my original suspicions about this game were correct. I'll play it expecting a shooter with light to moderate RPG elements (like I did with Bioshock). With those expectations, the game looks and sounds fun. But expecting a deep RPG looks like a great way to set yourself up for disappointment, unfortunately.

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 08:24.

Jul 30, 2008, 07:18
Re: No subject Jul 30, 2008, 07:18
Jul 30, 2008, 07:18

Trust the French to do a proper Preview. Great Q&A.

Q&A of the Year, imho

Sadly it seems to confirm every Fallout fan's worst nightmare. Granted he played for half an hour. (and the first half-hour of Fallout 2 was terrible if memory serves me right, scorpions and ants anyone?) And he walked in a straight line, maybe he chose the wrong direction

This question and answer worries me the most:

Are there as many popular culture references in this instance as there was in Fallout 1 and Fallout 2? (Monty Python, Holy Grail, Wizard of Oz, Blues Brothers any others?)

It’s difficult to tell given how short the session was, but I think not. The only wink I noticed (and I’m not sure it was intentional) was during a visit to “Forbidden Planet” were I found a strangely familiar robot in front of the entrance to Megaton. As to the rest of the game, I did not see anything else. I don’t think we will find the same off-kilter humor as was Black Isles hallmark, unfortunately. This version of the fallout universe is sadly a more serious one. Let us hope that exploring the rest of the zone will prove me wrong.

I think Im going to actually cry....
This comment was edited on Jul 30, 07:21.

Jul 30, 2008, 04:07
Re: No subject Jul 30, 2008, 04:07
Jul 30, 2008, 04:07

Bad AI is par for the series. It was never the reason for which Fallout games were much liked.

The problem is that the first two games came out about a decade ago and were turn-based, isometric, 2D affairs. This is a real time, 3D, action-oriented game made in 2008. AI is much more important these days. It's especially important given that the game takes place in an open-world, so you can't rely on heavy scripting to compensate for lousy AI.

Jul 30, 2008, 04:00
Re: No subject Jul 30, 2008, 04:00
Jul 30, 2008, 04:00

Bad AI is par for the series. It was never the reason for which Fallout games were much liked.

This article while detailed is a bit meaningless considering he only saw 30 minutes of the game. Such short exposure may be enough for a game like Call of Duty 4, but not for huge open-world game that Fallout3 is.

Bad animation, I expect but dull graphics is disappointing. Hopefully the PC version will have far better textures than the console counterpart.

Jul 30, 2008, 03:31
Re: No subject Jul 30, 2008, 03:31
Jul 30, 2008, 03:31

I didn't really see any bias. The questions were straight-forward and based on what has been revealed about the game thus far. For example: "Does the AI suck as much as it appears in the gameplay videos?" That's not a biased question, as the AI has indeed appeared to be quite stupid in videos shown thus far. The question simply asks whether or not the videos were accurate.

I found the Q&A to be refreshingly honest and informative. It asked the questions I actually cared about, as opposed to the generic, redundant, PR-approved questions that most sites ask. When I read a Q&A, I don't want to know what the game is about. I don't want to know its premise or what genre it belongs to or when it's coming out. All those answers can be found in the countless previews of the game. A Q&A should answer specific questions that people actually ask and this Q&A did just that.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older