Godfather Game Lawsuit

Mario Puzo may be sleeping with Luca Brasi and the fishes since 1999, but his estate is not letting anyone horn in on his territory, as this report indicates that Anthony Puzo has filed a lawsuit against Paramount Pictures over revenue from the recent Godfather video game. The author's son claims the estate is due at least $1 million from the game, based on an agreement between his father and the movie studio in 1992 that was "to give Puzo a significant share of the revenue of any audio-visual products sold or rented with elements of the 'Godfather' movies." Paramount has not yet commented on the lawsuit, though in an interesting related note, EA has made it clear a sequel to the game is in the works.
View : : :
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer

No subject
Jun 19, 2008, 12:05
No subject Jun 19, 2008, 12:05
Jun 19, 2008, 12:05

Oh greed, what would we do without you? It's good to know that a guy who had nothing to do with development of the game deserves at least $1 million from its profits.

No subject
Jun 19, 2008, 12:18
No subject Jun 19, 2008, 12:18
Jun 19, 2008, 12:18

I bought the game retail for $6.00 on the PC, I will personally send him 10 cents if he gives me his address. What an asshat.

You got a great body, but your record collection sucks....
BN 360 Scoreboard:
http://www.mygamercard.net/clboard.php?id=GW57kfq7

Re: No subject
Jun 19, 2008, 12:30
Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 12:30
Jun 19, 2008, 12:30

Oh greed, what would we do without you? It's good to know that a guy who had nothing to do with development of the game deserves at least $1 million from its profits.

Yeah like Puzo didn't develop the story or the characters at all. If Puzo were alive I doubt you'd be dumb enough to question that he was owed the money. Upon his death the Godfather is now essentially a businness owned by the estate.

Of course they want their money!

Jun 19, 2008, 12:31
Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 12:31
Jun 19, 2008, 12:31

Mario Puza wrote The Godfather the novel that the game is based off of. Without the novel there is no game. Why wouldn't his estate be owed money (if they haven't received any already), especially if the contract from 1992 is valid?

The response to Intellectual Property ownership stories on Blues News is sickening.

----------------------------------------------------
Grand Theft Auto IV.....what else is there?

PSN ID= Puscifer73
"Blues News" Steam Community... http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

Jun 19, 2008, 12:34
Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 12:34
Jun 19, 2008, 12:34

Why wouldn't his estate be owed money

Because they had absolutely no part in creating it? His estate should get a job and innovate something new.

Jun 19, 2008, 12:37
Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 12:37
Jun 19, 2008, 12:37

Mario Puza wrote The Godfather the novel that the game is based off of. Without the novel there is no game. Why wouldn't his estate be owed money (if they haven't received any already), especially if the contract from 1992 is valid?

The response to Intellectual Property ownership stories on Blues News is sickening.

Well, the problem doesn't stem from EA paying Puzo, the problem stems from EA already paying the studio and the studio not paying Puzo! Has NOTHING to do with the game....

BN 360 Scoreboard:

Jun 19, 2008, 12:49
Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 12:49
Jun 19, 2008, 12:49

Puzo's son certainly deserves it just as you'd want your children profiting from something you created if it's still making substaintial revenue after your death.

Too bad the game sucked though. It was not worthy of the Godfather name in the least bit.
"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

Jun 19, 2008, 12:51
Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 12:51
Jun 19, 2008, 12:51

Well, the problem doesn't stem from EA paying Puzo, the problem stems from EA already paying the studio and the studio not paying Puzo! Has NOTHING to do with the game....

Batman see this line...

Anthony Puzo has filed a lawsuit against Paramount Pictures

I fail to see what you are getting at. This is a lawsuit against Paramount, not EA.

PSN ID= Puscifer73

Jun 19, 2008, 12:55
Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 12:55
Jun 19, 2008, 12:55

Edit: ...Sorry MusixMon, misread it as being a sarcastic post. Thanks for pointing that out Frijoles.

So you'd rather see the Paramount and EA profiting off of something they didn't original create instead of Puzo's own family? The estate to which Puzo left his son in control of, which means he left him with ownership of whatever properties the estate still owns?

All they want is their piece of the pie, that if their original agreement with Paramount is true, they do deserve it.

PSN ID= Puscifer73

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 13:24.

Jun 19, 2008, 13:03
Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 13:03
Jun 19, 2008, 13:03

So you'd rather see the Paramount and EA profiting off of something they didn't original create instead of Puzo's own family?

Think he's actually agreeing with you.. at least how I read it. And I agree with you, Puzo's family certainly should be the first in line to get the money. BUT, how long do we let them sit on their arses and not do anything with it? It seems like a lot of these people make a lot of money doing absolutely nothing. I'll give you that at the very least, they keep a shitload of .. well, shit, from screwing up the world/characters/etc. But in doing so, they also prevent the possibility of honest quality work from seeing the light of day.

Since Puzo probably didn't die poor, I'd rather he (and others in his position) leave the money he already made to his estate and let the IP open up for others to try their hand with it.

Jun 19, 2008, 13:09
Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 13:09
Jun 19, 2008, 13:09

Mario Puza wrote The Godfather the novel that the game is based off of. Without the novel there is no game.

Really? Based on what I played the game, I found very little that had to do with the book or movies. You could slap on a different title and the game would be the same. In fact, I bet the game started off as a new IP and then EA slapped the Godfather name on it to add some recognizability. Happens all the time.

The fact remains that Anthony Puzo didn't write the book. He didn't make the movie. He had nothing to do with the game. You can argue that the Puzo estate deserves to profit from anything using the Godfather name but I'm more of a believer in people getting paid for actually doing something.

Let's put it this way: Do you think any of the developers, who spent countless hours and many late nights on actually making the game, made $1 million? I think not. Why should Anthony Puzo make $1 million just because of his last name? Grown adults shouldn't leech off the success of their parents. They should make their own success.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 13:15.

Jun 19, 2008, 13:19
Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 13:19
Jun 19, 2008, 13:19

Since Puzo probably didn't die poor, I'd rather he (and others in his position) leave the money he already made to his estate and let the IP open up for others to try their hand with it.

If you want to make money from your IP, you do it through licensing. If thats the model you follow, then suing the pants off of those who don't pay up is kind of what you have to do. Otherwise you don't get money.

If you don't want to make money, or don't care about it, there's still good reason to lock down your IP. You want only positive usage of your IP, so you set rules to how it can be used and by whom. Anybody who doesn't follow the rules, you sue, for the good of the IP.

In this case, there was an agreement between businesses. IP was used, a game was created, and one of the parties says they never received their due. Asking your business partner to fulfill the agreement in now way stifles creativity. If anything, it encouraged it, since by allowing the game to be made, good or bad, somebody took a crack at making something with the IP. I see nothing wrong with what the Puzo estate is doing. They have very few alternatives that make any sort of sound business sense.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 13:26.
Elye...

Jun 19, 2008, 13:24
Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 13:24

I am daily shocked ... well not anymore.... at the utter STUPIDITY of people that this site reveals. It is no wonder that the liberals are taking over the country.

Example the poster below me...

Yo MORON. The game sold because it was attached to a well known intellectual content and franchise. Jo schmoe a gangstering will not sell even one copy.

I have little doubt that this country the USA as well as the rest of the world us headed for absolute destruction because of the mental, ethical, and moral corruption that has become so rampant.

Every forum you go to on the internet just reveals how utterly devoid of logic 90% of the populous is today.

Just like the morons in Congress who are saying that "Drilling" wont reduce the cost of gas. Or that if we build refineries they should be owned by the "public" meaning a communist society. Even though this IDIOT doesn’t understand that the oil companies are already OWNED by the public. They are called SHARE HOLDERS.

Every single topic you can think of today and most of the populous is completely twisted in the way they view it.

Of course you will all ignore the truth of this post and flame me, even though you are the mindless fools.

Really? Based on what I played the game, I found very little that had to do with the book or movies. You could slap on a different title and the game would be the same. In fact, I bet the game started off as a new IP and then EA slapped the Godfather name on it to add some recognizability. Happens all the time.
From the previews I read and from actually playing the game, it seemed that it was always intended as a Godfather game. It featured several characters who were in the first movie, for one thing. Then there were the movie clips you could unlock (which didn't really tie in to the game, but they were included in it). If I remember correctly, they even recreated Sonny's death in the game engine. If you look at the Wikipedia entry for it, you'll see it ties in to the movie in other ways as well.

Why should Anthony Puzo make $1 million just because of his last name? Grown adults shouldn't leech off the success of their parents. They should make their own success.

Anthony isn't trying to get the money because it's his last name. He's doing it because he has a legal contract with Paramount saying he should receive a certain amount of money from any proceeds made off The Godfather IP. It doesn't matter what the content of the game was. It doesn't matter if the game is a freaken' pacman clone. If the decision is made to use The Godfather name to increase sales, then the contract for usage of IP is in force, and should be. This isn't about Anthony Puzo's greed. It's about Paramount's.

Elye...

Jun 19, 2008, 13:30
Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 13:30
Jun 19, 2008, 13:30

Every single topic you can think of today and most of the populous is completely twisted in the way they view it.
That's funny, I was thinking how conservative nutcases like you seem to make up the majority opinion on a lot of topics. Strange how both sides feel like they're in the tiny minority, isn't it?

It is no wonder that the liberals are taking over the country.
I guess you haven't been paying attention to the past 7 and a half years of American politics.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 13:32.

Jun 19, 2008, 13:32
Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 13:32
Jun 19, 2008, 13:32

This isn't about Anthony Puzo's greed. It's about Paramount's.

I'd say they are both greedy. They both want to profit off a name when neither of them had anything to do with the game.

If you look at the Wikipedia entry for it, you'll see it ties in to the movie in other ways as well.

Superficial tie-ins at best. I'd be genuinely surprised if the prototype for the game had anything to do with The Godfather. I think it's much more likely that EA looked at the prototype and said, "Hey, why don't you guys turn this into a Godfather game?" This happens to a lot of original games. Publishers minimize the risk by attaching the game to a recognizable franchise. Hell, that even happened with System Shock 2.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 13:36.

Jun 19, 2008, 13:34
Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 13:34
Jun 19, 2008, 13:34

Anthony Puzo has filed a lawsuit against Paramount Pictures

I fail to see what you are getting at. This is a lawsuit against Paramount, not EA.

Preemptive strike vs "EA IS HORRIBLE THEY SUCK THEY ARE THEIVES!".

/goes to check how many units sold.....not even listed as 1 million units....

um, not hardly worth 1 million......

BN 360 Scoreboard:

Jun 19, 2008, 13:46
Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 13:46
Jun 19, 2008, 13:46

um, not hardly worth 1 million......

As you stated, this dealing is with Paramount. It doesn't necessarily matter what EA made on sales of the game. ie: if EA paid Paramount 10mil for the IP usage, and Puzo estate is supposed to get 10%, then they would be owed 1 million by Paramount, possibly regardless of actual sales.

PSN ID= Puscifer73

Jun 19, 2008, 13:48
Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 13:48
Jun 19, 2008, 13:48

As you stated, this dealing is with Paramount. It doesn't necessarily matter what EA made on sales of the game. ie: if EA paid Paramount 10mil for the IP usage, and Puzo estate is supposed to get 10%, then they would be owed 1 million by Paramount, possibly regardless of actual sales.

Actually, if I was the greedy prick, I would ask for all of the license $ paid for the first game, and 50% of the 2nd already in production. Not like the studio did anything anyway....

BN 360 Scoreboard:
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer