Godfather Game Lawsuit

Mario Puzo may be sleeping with Luca Brasi and the fishes since 1999, but his estate is not letting anyone horn in on his territory, as this report indicates that Anthony Puzo has filed a lawsuit against Paramount Pictures over revenue from the recent Godfather video game. The author's son claims the estate is due at least $1 million from the game, based on an agreement between his father and the movie studio in 1992 that was "to give Puzo a significant share of the revenue of any audio-visual products sold or rented with elements of the 'Godfather' movies." Paramount has not yet commented on the lawsuit, though in an interesting related note, EA has made it clear a sequel to the game is in the works.
View : : :
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

I would love
Jun 24, 2008, 21:47
I would love Jun 24, 2008, 21:47
Jun 24, 2008, 21:47

a Godfather Game Suit. Is it appropriate for me to wear to work?

Creston

Re: No subject
Jun 21, 2008, 01:45
Re: No subject Jun 21, 2008, 01:45
Jun 21, 2008, 01:45

Existing products based on that IP will continue to be sold until they sell out. No new products based on that IP can be made.

Wow. You're an idiot. By your logic, no music more than 40 years old or so could be played or obtained, Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Mendelssohn, and all the other great classic music would go away and we'd have the latest bubblegum pop.

We couldn't attend a play by Shakespeare, nor read War & Peace, or for that matter, the bible.

I know what you'll say... "that's all public domain", but by logical extension, your idea would do away with public domain.

Please, do us all a favor. Don't vote. Ever.

Jun 20, 2008, 13:19
Re: No subject Jun 20, 2008, 13:19
Jun 20, 2008, 13:19

But then what is your solution as to who gets the $?

He said earlier that he wants the Government to have it...

/boggle

----------------------------------------------------
Grand Theft Auto IV.....what else is there?

PSN ID= Puscifer73
"Blues News" Steam Community... http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

Jun 20, 2008, 13:00
Re: No subject Jun 20, 2008, 13:00
Jun 20, 2008, 13:00

There should be a clause in all contracts that prevents royalties from being passed on through wills or other means.

But then what is your solution as to who gets the $?

You got a great body, but your record collection sucks....
BN 360 Scoreboard:
http://www.mygamercard.net/clboard.php?id=GW57kfq7

Jun 20, 2008, 12:13
Re: No subject Jun 20, 2008, 12:13
Jun 20, 2008, 12:13

Let me give you some more hints: did you ever hear of a Will and Testament? Go read up on what it is and then maybe you'll understand some things about life and achievements.

You're completely missing the point. As I've said a million times, I'm not questioning the legal merit of Anthony Puzo's claims. However, I personally believe that having IP royalties continue past the original IP creator doesn't promote achievement, it promotes sloth and complacency. There should be a clause in all contracts that prevents royalties from being passed on through wills or other means.

Please also sue Mark Winegardner...
Jun 20, 2008, 09:02
Please also sue Mark Winegardner... Jun 20, 2008, 09:02
Jun 20, 2008, 09:02

...for the horrendous 'sequel' novels he crafted.
Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

Jun 20, 2008, 08:46
Re: No subject Jun 20, 2008, 08:46
Jun 20, 2008, 08:46

Hopefully after you graduate from high school (if you do), you might understand some things. Let me give you some more hints: did you ever hear of a Will and Testament? Go read up on what it is and then maybe you'll understand some things about life and achievements.

Jun 19, 2008, 22:34
Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 22:34
Jun 19, 2008, 22:34

If you make a song and its a huge hit and 20 years later it's being used in a commercial, you should get money because it is your creation. So what if you haven't touched an instrument in those 20 years since. It's called residual income from intellectual property.

I agree completely. However, the creator of The Godfather is dead and Paramount owns the IP. Anthony Puzo is getting money because of a clause in a contract, not because he earned it or deserves it.

Jun 19, 2008, 22:01
Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 22:01
Jun 19, 2008, 22:01

Some people on this board are clearly idiots. The game is 'The Godfather' based on Mario Puzos books. That right there is brand name reconition which SELLS and makes money. The puzo estate deserves this money. No two ways about it.

If you make a song and its a huge hit and 20 years later it's being used in a commercial, you should get money because it is your creation. So what if you haven't touched an instrument in those 20 years since. It's called residual income from intellectual property.
-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

Jun 19, 2008, 21:00
Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 21:00
Jun 19, 2008, 21:00

So instead of having the money go to family, you'd rather it go to the Government.

This has been insult free, so I'll refrain...

[insert insult here]

You don't like the government, I don't like people getting money they haven't earned. Same thing, really.

No subject
Jun 19, 2008, 20:40
No subject Jun 19, 2008, 20:40
Jun 19, 2008, 20:40

Don't feed the trolls!

Jun 19, 2008, 20:39
Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 20:39
Jun 19, 2008, 20:39

So instead of having the money go to family, you'd rather it go to the Government.

This has been insult free, so I'll refrain...

[insert insult here]

PSN ID= Puscifer73
This comment was edited on Jun 19, 20:40.

Jun 19, 2008, 20:15
Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 20:15
Jun 19, 2008, 20:15

So any existing products, or products in progress get pulled from shelves, any company that had rights, then loses them?

If the IP owner is dead or dissolved, all profits made from his IP thereafter go to the government to help pay for the agency that protects copyrights and handles such cases. Existing products based on that IP will continue to be sold until they sell out. No new products based on that IP can be made. Obviously this only really applies to entertainment IP, like videogames, movies, books, etc. Essential IP pertaining to technology, medicine and so forth would continue to be developed under government control.

End result: Reduced franchise milking.

Because what you are saying is Paramount shouldn't have to pay shares out to anyone just because Mario Puzo died.

Well, yes. Anthony Puzo doesn't own the IP nor did he create it. Royalties from the IP should have ceased when his father died. Was that part of the original contract? No, but it should have been.

Jun 19, 2008, 19:21
Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 19:21
Jun 19, 2008, 19:21

That's only if a corporation owns the IP. If the IP is buried with its original creator, the government would protect it from everyone.

So any existing products, or products in progress get pulled from shelves, any company that had rights, then loses them?
Your fantasy method simply would not work.

unless the government didn't hold trials for copyright infringement and simply fined/killed anyone who committed it.

Ahh you've obviously thought this through very well... /sarcasm

Did Anthony Puzo create the Godfather? No. Did he write the books? No. Did he make the movies? No. Did he make the game? No.

Did Paramount write the books? No. Did EA write the books? No. Does Paramount own the IP? Yes. Does Paramount owe Puzo's estate the value agreed upon in the past? Yes, Probably. Is Anthony Puzo the controller of that Estate? Yes.

If the controller of the Estate cannot go after Paramount for unpaid dues, then who can in your eyes? Because what you are saying is Paramount shouldn't have to pay shares out to anyone just because Mario Puzo died. If the Estate didn't exist then yes Paramount might be able to get away with it.

PSN ID= Puscifer73

Jun 19, 2008, 18:49
Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 18:49
Jun 19, 2008, 18:49

Adding to the obvious fact you don't have a clue...Mario Puzo himself signed the deal with Paramount, not Anthony.

Good point, I had forgotten about that. Regardless, it only reinforces the fact that the current notion of IP "protection" is a farce. Puzo sold the franchise to Paramount so he could make more money, not so he could protect the integrity of the franchise. Two inferior sequels and a crappy game later just goes to show how well the the frachise has been "protected." In the end, I guess it's all about the money as the Godfather franchise is being passed around like a whore.

The government would be protecting those very corporations that own the IP's to begin with.

That's only if a corporation owns the IP. If the IP is buried with its original creator, the government would protect it from everyone.

Not to mention with your method, tax-payers would be footing the bill for defense lawyers instead of Paramount.

That's one potential downside, yes, unless the government didn't hold trials for copyright infringement and simply fined/killed anyone who committed it. One can always dream.

If this Estate was controlled by "joe-blow & sons holdings co." and they filed the suit on behalf of the Puzo estate, would you feel any better about it?

As I mentioned earlier, if Anthony Puzo doesn't see any of the money he wins from the lawsuit and if that money goes to charity or something then hey, that's great. In the more likely event that the money goes to Anthony, then this is all about greed, as I've repeatedly stated throughout this debate. Simply put, people shouldn't get money for things they haven't contributed to.

It really comes down to this: Did Anthony Puzo create the Godfather? No. Did he write the books? No. Did he make the movies? No. Did he make the game? No. Does he have a legal contract with Paramount that gives him royalties on these things? Yes. Given his total lack of involvement with the creation of these things, does he actually deserve any royalties from them? No.

Jun 19, 2008, 17:38
Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 17:38
Jun 19, 2008, 17:38

Would Mario Puzo be happy that his son sold out his creation so that a crappy game could be made of it?

Adding to the obvious fact you don't have a clue...Mario Puzo himself signed the deal with Paramount, not Anthony. Paramount sold the right to EA, not Anthony.

When you consider that most IP is owned by large corporations with little to no integrity, I think government control would be a step up.

How do you figure? The government would be protecting those very corporations that own the IP's to begin with. Paramount owns the IP, not the Puzo estate. Puzo sold the rights to Paramount with stipulations that his estate would receive their due shares on future projects that Paramount sold out for. Not to mention with your method, tax-payers would be footing the bill for defense lawyers instead of Paramount.

Once again, I'm not disputing the legality of Anthony Puzo's claims. I'm simply pointing out that he is in no way responsible for the creation of the Godfather books, movies or games and as such, doesn't deserve to profit from them.

Once again you don't seem to understand the concept of an Estate. He is protecting family money, not Anthony money. If this Estate was controlled by "joe-blow & sons holdings co." and they filed the suit on behalf of the Puzo estate, would you feel any better about it?

PSN ID= Puscifer73
This comment was edited on Jun 19, 17:45.

Jun 19, 2008, 17:18
Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 17:18
Jun 19, 2008, 17:18

Ahh yes, cus those government agencies are so trustworthy to begin with.

I wouldn't say they're any less trustworthy than the people who "protect" IP now. Would Mario Puzo be happy that his son sold out his creation so that a crappy game could be made of it? When you consider that most IP is owned by large corporations with little to no integrity, I think government control would be a step up.

Back to reality...the government put laws & procedures in place for people to protect their own properties, and that's what is being done.

Once again, I'm not disputing the legality of Anthony Puzo's claims. I'm simply pointing out that he is in no way responsible for the creation of the Godfather books, movies or games and as such, doesn't deserve to profit from them.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 17:23.

Jun 19, 2008, 17:13
Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 17:13
Jun 19, 2008, 17:13

A government agency created to track copyright infringement and prosecute those who violate it?

Ahh yes, cus those government agencies are so trustworthy to begin with. You may be able to think it, but its never going to happen, nor would it work.

Back to reality...the government put laws & procedures in place for people to protect their own properties, and that's what is being done.

PSN ID= Puscifer73
This comment was edited on Jun 19, 17:14.

Jun 19, 2008, 16:55
Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 16:55
Jun 19, 2008, 16:55

So lets stick to reality and not fantasy.

That's why I said that's how it should work. The unfortunate reality is that franchises are milked and people get money for doing nothing.

Not to mention, if the IP "died" with the creator without any legal copyrights to protect it, whats to stop joe-blow from re-writing the same book and releasing it as his own, with nothing to protect the original IP?

A government agency created to track copyright infringement and prosecute those who violate it? With all the money that's wasted on lawsuits like these, I'm sure they could afford to make one.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 16:58.

Jun 19, 2008, 16:51
Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 16:51
Jun 19, 2008, 16:51

By "die," I meant that the IP would never be allowed to be used again.

That's not how it works. So lets stick to reality and not fantasy.

Not to mention, if the IP "died" with the creator without any legal copyrights to protect it, whats to stop joe-blow from re-writing the same book and releasing it as his own, with nothing to protect the original IP? You are basically back to square-one with someone having to protect the copyrights...

PSN ID= Puscifer73
This comment was edited on Jun 19, 16:56.
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older