On Crysis Warhead/Crysis Performance

The German PC Games Website has a tidbit from an interview with Crytek boss Cevat Yerli that will appear in an upcoming issue of their print counterpart. The story is in German, but a translation tells us Yerli is offering reassurances to gamers that Crysis Warhead should be able to achieve frame rates of 30-35 FPS in "high" detail mode on a PC that costs around 400 Euros. He also says changes may possibly be retrofitted into Crysis in a future patch to offer similar performance improvements, but that this will be a timely process, as the optimizations involved are complex, so if they revisit Crysis performance, this will be after development of Crysis Warhead is complete.
View : : :
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Over rated
Jun 19, 2008, 14:42
Re: Over rated Jun 19, 2008, 14:42
Jun 19, 2008, 14:42

crysis was dull and stale. very much a rent it game. yes i paid for it and regret it, especially with the whole 'we dont support our games' attitude they have now. they also managed to blame the pc community for crysis not selling well, then announce they have a new one they want us to buy. what?

i'm not even going to play a demo of warhead until you finish patching crysis so it runs as it should in SP/MP.

edit - my main beef with crysis was the combat itself. it lacked any excitement or 'fun'.. and it lacked any impact. the blood 'puffs' that you get when you shoot someone is barely able to be seen. at least in farcry they had decals to show you had just shot someone.

the ragdolls are also incredibly stiff. the north koreans all amazingly speak english unless you play it on the hardest difficulty and are quite happy to let you know when they are about to throw a grenade or are reloading.

they also really dont allow you any sort of fun using the suit. as the suit has a battery life of around 10-15 seconds when using stealth. not only that but any area you enter you basically have a teammate telling you to go stealth or go guns blazing. well they 'recommend' it anyway.

so yes, to sum up my beef is with the actual gunplay itself. its just not 'fun'. they spent to much time on graphics and deals with microsoft for vista. i wont even go into how generic the sounds are. actually yes i will, i actually refused to use the ak-47 type weapon that is in the game due to the sounds alone.

every character is a cliche (which i blame on american movies creating those cliche's in the first place), but the only character that does have any personality is psycho. obviously why they chose him for this game.

and what the hell, if its the same story, with the same characters, why am i going to pay full price for it? obviously, im not.

/rant
This comment was edited on Jun 19, 14:51.

Jun 19, 2008, 14:28
Re: Over rated Jun 19, 2008, 14:28
Jun 19, 2008, 14:28

Considering that, at the time of Crysis' release, you could build an entire machine from scratch for under $900 that could run Crysis on High at around 30fps, this isn't surprising at all. This is only "news" to the legions of console fanboys who don't know the first thing when it comes to computer hardware, yet feel that they can comment on the industry as a whole.

I am waiting for discounts on Crysis before I even look at the box.
Crysis was worth every penny of the $50 I paid, but the game has been easy to find for $20-30 for the last couple months. Stop being lazy.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 14:34.

Jun 19, 2008, 14:06
Re: Over rated Jun 19, 2008, 14:06
Jun 19, 2008, 14:06

Not that I care about this game, but PR people never know what they're talking about in any case. They're there so the technical people don't have to talk to reporters.

Jun 19, 2008, 13:13
Re: Over rated Jun 19, 2008, 13:13
Jun 19, 2008, 13:13

How quickly gamers forget. Cevat Yerli has no credibility. He stated that 64 bit OS would run crysis faster than 32 bit. Benchmarks proved otherwise. He also said that 4 GB of memory would make a big performance impact. But again benchmarks proved otherwise. All of his statements about hardware clearly made hardware manufacturers happy since he was advocating more expensive hardware all around.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 14:13.

Good news for the p irates!
Jun 19, 2008, 12:53
Good news for the p irates! Jun 19, 2008, 12:53
Jun 19, 2008, 12:53

they will now be able to play Crysis!!

Jun 19, 2008, 12:47
... Jun 19, 2008, 12:47
Jun 19, 2008, 12:47

I wish everyone that didn't care for this game much would give it another chance and enjoy it just as much as I did but I know that won't happen.
And I wish fat people would simply stop eating far too much... it just ain't gonna happen.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

too pricey
Jun 19, 2008, 12:17
too pricey Jun 19, 2008, 12:17
Jun 19, 2008, 12:17

I am waiting for discounts on Crysis before I even look at the box.

Re: No subject
Jun 19, 2008, 12:09
Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 12:09
Jun 19, 2008, 12:09

Warhead will be a full length game (49.99) but it may feel like a sequel/expansion since it will be telling the same story just from the perspective of Psycho, instead of you (Nomad).

since crysis was supposed to be a three part series it seems the second installment is really just a retelling of the story from a different perspective. i assume that if they do make the third in the series it would be from the perspective of prophet. crytek is so predictable just like the aliens in every game they make.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 12:09.

Jun 19, 2008, 11:56
Re: Over rated Jun 19, 2008, 11:56
Jun 19, 2008, 11:56

Early on when Crysis was first announced I barely gave it a glance, I was convinced the game would just be a showcase to show off Crytek's new engine. Being the avid FPS gamer that I am there was no way that I wouldn't grab this game as soon as it came out even if I didn't jump on the hype wagon that everyone seemed to be riding. Going into it for the first time I expected a very pretty game with not much more. I enjoyed Far Cry but I never finished it because once the 'Trigens' appeared I lost all interest. I absolutely loved the first 6 or so levels of Crysis and was totally enjoying every bit of it until the Aliens took over then my interest in the game fell big time and I basically forced myself to finish it hoping it would get better (more like the first levels of the game)... It didn't happen. Overall I still liked the title but was let down by the second half of the game like countless others were.

A few months and a patch or 2 later I decided to play through it again and this time I totally loved every bit of it. Maybe because I knew what was coming this time so I took it for what it was worth and it paid off. I am very glad I gave it a second chance and I am totally looking forward to Warhead but I'm disappointed at the same time because I know we won't be seeing another PC exclusive title like this for a long long time and we probably won't see the final Crysis chapter since they were planning on 3 games total. I wish everyone that didn't care for this game much would give it another chance and enjoy it just as much as I did but I know that won't happen.

The biggest criticism toward this game was how demanding it was and how much of a powerhouse PC you need to run it. That was all over blown big time since I ran this game on my son's 3 year old emachine with a Geforce 7800GT with absolutely no problems on medium. Anyone interested in PC gaming should at least have a system to that spec and be able to enjoy the game just fine without all the bells and whistles on. I think people would rather just bitch and complain about certain games then give them a fair shot.

My point to all this is Crysis was a AAA title that deserved to be recognized. With all the negative press and piracy bullshit aside it deserved to be a success. I just wish it did well enough that Crytech would stick with the PC as it's target plaform for their future games but we all know that will never happen now. Whatever the case may be I'll be buying Warhead the day it comes out hoping it will be at least as good as Crysis was.
"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

Jun 19, 2008, 11:32
Prez

Re: Over rated Jun 19, 2008, 11:32
Jun 19, 2008, 11:32
 Prez

A little late for Crysis, I think...
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Over rated
Jun 19, 2008, 11:08
Over rated Jun 19, 2008, 11:08
Jun 19, 2008, 11:08

Game has a great, beautiful engines. The content was the most generic crap I have ever seen. A complete rip off of past, present and i presume future movies.

"Your a lone soldier, against 50,000,000,000 enemies"

And the predator type power suit options. Did I enjoy the game? It was ok, I really just wanted to see what the engine could do. The best was the tank level and its open fields, that reminded me of what a great Vietnam game could be like.

Oh well...

Jun 19, 2008, 10:59
Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 10:59
Jun 19, 2008, 10:59

Just hope they release a version that doesn't have the type of bugs crysis has which meant even with the latest patch it is impossible to finish the game. (the tac gun not locking onto the 'sea monster'). and yes I know that there is a 40-70% chance of it working if I repaly the whole level but I really can't be bothered. A bug like that can really p u off.

Jun 19, 2008, 10:30
Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 10:30
Jun 19, 2008, 10:30

Wow; I had not been paying much attention to the PR releases/previews, but my interest meter hit zero when I found out about Psycho and the parallel story.

In fact, I just went to Wikipedia to try and find out which NPC Psycho was. If they were going to retell the same story, I would think Prophet's story would the most interesting (relatively) to see.
Or even continuing on from the first non-ending...
Eh, just more reason to wait for a demo.

Believing the game will retail for $39.99,
Ray

-----
I'm looking for some alien toilet to park my bricks; who's first?
http://www.flagshipped.com/
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

400 Euros?
Jun 19, 2008, 10:20
400 Euros? Jun 19, 2008, 10:20
Jun 19, 2008, 10:20

Given the weakness of the dollar, is that not equivalent to a $6,000.00 system?!?

Joking, joking...

It's a nice promise, though a little empty. "We totally promise you can run the game this time so go buy the new one! Hey, if you all go out and buy enough, we may even optimize the first one!"

Also, with it coming out a year later, this could very well be the same exact engine, but using performance stats for current hardware.

Either way, do not just tell people to buy the game, but give them a demo to see the improvements. Also, as already asked, how much of a "game" is this? I actually liked most of Crysis, but I'm not sure if I would want to play a small expansion pack and there are some serious pacing and gameplay issues in Crysis that Crytek still has yet to answer (alien ship, crap snow portion, end segment that threw out all stealth aspects, another terrible ending, etc.)
For a developer that hates PC gaming, how strange this just magically appearing.
Waiting for the demo,
Ray

-----
I'm looking for some alien toilet to park my bricks; who's first?
http://www.flagshipped.com/
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Jun 19, 2008, 10:15
Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 10:15
Jun 19, 2008, 10:15

"Is Warhead going to be a full length game or simply a short sequel?"

Warhead will be a full length game (49.99) but it may feel like a sequel/expansion since it will be telling the same story just from the perspective of Psycho, instead of you (Nomad).

"If you were in it you would know.."
http://deathanddebauchery.com/

No subject
Jun 19, 2008, 10:06
No subject Jun 19, 2008, 10:06
Jun 19, 2008, 10:06

is Warhead going to be a full length game or simply a short sequel?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

No subject
Jun 19, 2008, 10:03
No subject Jun 19, 2008, 10:03
Jun 19, 2008, 10:03

One question: vanity sizing for geeks?

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older