Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Stardock's Impulse Launches

Brad's Impulse Launch Review offers an overview of Impulse, Stardock's newly launched replacement for Stardock Central. The program offers a set of functions similar to Valve's Steam, including an online store, game patches, social networking features, and more. Impulse Driven is the web home to the program, and this press release announces Stardock is currently working with companies like Epic Games, THQ, AVG, iolo, Gas Powered Games, Hothead Games, Ironclad Games, Meridian4, and more to bring their products to the platform, and Hothead announces Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, Episode One is now available on Impulse.
View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: No subject Jun 18, 2008, 08:27 kanniballl

Seriously? I don't see why any developer or publisher would want to support Steam when they stand to lose that much money.

It depends. How much gets taken out of the price due to boxes, materials, shipping to retailers, etc?

You figure out of that $60 you spend in a store:
  • a large chunk of that goes to the store/franchise as profit.
    I remember the markup on items when I worked at a local general store were very impressive. I think they made 20%-30% due to retail vs wholesale prices (sometimes more).

• some of what's left is used to pay the advertisers that put out web banners, commercials, newspaper+magazine ads, etc

• some of what's left goes towards the costs involved in making boxes, manuals, pressing CDs, etc

• some of what's left goes to warehousing the surplus/reserves until they are sent out

• the rest gets split between the publisher and developer house to distribute among their employees/accounts/etc as they see fit.

• Heck, a friend of mine sells software of his on a retail site via download. I was shocked at what percentage they take out for that; I think it was like 25% to 30%, and that's for a small site. So I don't have a hard time believing Steam takes somewhere close to %50 considering they're bigger and reach a much broader audience than a small genre-specific online software retailer.

Then again, for all I know D2D and the rest take a smaller cut.

This comment was edited on Jun 18, 08:37.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama
    Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: No subject Jun 18, 2008, 04:08 Jerykk

1) Valve takes 50%. That's a bit more than "a bit less money."

Seriously? I don't see why any developer or publisher would want to support Steam when they stand to lose that much money.

36. Re: No subject Jun 17, 2008, 23:19 Nuclear Watchdog

* REMOVED *
    This comment was deleted on Jun 18, 09:17.

35. ... Jun 17, 2008, 23:01 theyarecomingforyou

They need to support serials from existing owners if they want it to take off. Even then they need to increase the options available - it would be great if it could manage my Office and Nero registrations and automatically download Firefox + extensions / preferences automatically. As it stands all you can really do is add lots of shortcuts to your existing programs, just as you can with Steam (a feature I never use).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
    environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

8700K @ 4.9GHz / Kraken X62 / 32GB DDR4
    GTX 1080 Ti OC / Optane 900P

34. It's a decent review Jun 17, 2008, 22:25 Creston

I think Brad should have mentioned that he runs the company that's released Impulse, to avoid any potentially misleading opinions, but I think he's pretty balanced in the review.

So far based on what's available, I see little need to go to Impulse right now. I'll stick with SDC for a bit until they've got more features implemented in Impulse, and have squashed a few of the bugs that are undoubtedly in there.

Creston

33. Re: No subject Jun 17, 2008, 22:19 Creston

It irritates me to no end, but it's really not a big deal.

Those two seem rather mutually exclusive.

Creston

32. Re: No subject Jun 17, 2008, 22:17 Creston

"But I still think they ought to put their games up on Steam. Sure they might make a bit less money there"

1) Valve takes 50%. That's a bit more than "a bit less money."

2) If you're promoting your own digital delivery service, putting your games on (one of) your main competitor's products is the height of stupidity.

And SDC > Steam anyways.

Creston

31. Re: No subject Jun 17, 2008, 20:27 Prez

Steam has sales all the time. I buy many of my games through Steam during sales promotions.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
    - Mahatma Gandhi

30. Re: No subject Jun 17, 2008, 19:34 Krovven

However, it does seem it a bit hypocritical to say...when you're taking Tim James' comment personal.

Did I make a snide remark about him in either post like he did to me? No.

Culture, he is just looking to get his shots in because I hurt his feelings in the STALKER thread yesterday...when he again said one thing and later claimed he meant another (at least that's his story).

Here comes the inevitable followup..

Yes, he must be psychic for predicting that I would respond on...FORUMS. OMG he is special!

----------------------------------------------------
    Grand Theft Auto IV.....what else is there?

PSN ID= Puscifer73
    "Blues News" Steam Community... http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/
    This comment was edited on Jun 17, 19:41.

29. Re: No subject Jun 17, 2008, 19:00 the_culture

19. Is there a Dagokcheck button to make sure my words are precise enough for him?

20. Or you could say what you actually mean instead of embellishing false info which leads to other false info from other people and ultimately just feeds the trolls like Riley. Try not to take it so personal if someone corrects your misinformation.

Just classic; don't know if you could have timed it better.

However, it does seem it a bit hypocritical to say "Try not to take it so personal if someone corrects your misinformation. ", when you're taking Tim James' comment personal.

28. Re: No subject Jun 17, 2008, 18:34 MMORPGHoD

Depends on how it's designed. I only tend to fire up Impulse after a long period of inactivity to check for updates. Other than that, it isn't needed and doesn't launch when you execute a program (GCII, for instance). Steam, on the other hand, basically demands that it be running to access the library. It irritates me to no end, but it's really not a big deal.

That's how I see it too. I don't need either utility, as I finish a game (or get bored of it) before the next update is out anyways. I prefer the optional utility.

27. ... Jun 17, 2008, 18:26 theyarecomingforyou

I just got a response from Brad on Neowin. Currently existing owners of Epic games cannot register on Impulse, though they're talking with them to try to achieve this. It's a bit misleading because everything implies that it should be possible and the error message doesn't explain anything. So basically Impulse is of no use to me currently, though it certainly has potential for the future.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
    environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

8700K @ 4.9GHz / Kraken X62 / 32GB DDR4
    GTX 1080 Ti OC / Optane 900P

26. Re: No subject Jun 17, 2008, 17:35 nin

Personally, I have complete faith that Stardock will get this working great and it will be better than Steam.

No doubt.

------------------------------------------------
    http://theslip.nin.com/
    "The Bellic boys! Talking over your town, assholes!"

25. Re: No subject Jun 17, 2008, 17:35 Bucky

If more companies do this pretty soon we will need run a different steam like program for every game we play.

Depends on how it's designed. I only tend to fire up Impulse after a long period of inactivity to check for updates. Other than that, it isn't needed and doesn't launch when you execute a program (GCII, for instance). Steam, on the other hand, basically demands that it be running to access the library. It irritates me to no end, but it's really not a big deal.

24. Re: No subject Jun 17, 2008, 17:33 Prez

That is a concern, but hopefully one or two become ubiquitous to the point that they will run virtually every conceivable game available.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
    - Mahatma Gandhi

23. Re: No subject Jun 17, 2008, 17:27 Overon

If more companies do this pretty soon we will need run a different steam like program for every game we play.

22. Re: No subject Jun 17, 2008, 17:26 Prez

"When are they going to make these download systems Mac compatable? i hate this windows only crap."

I thought Macs could run Windows programs now. At least, I heard they can run Windows.

- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: No subject Jun 17, 2008, 17:24 Prez

Personally, I have complete faith that Stardock will get this working great and it will be better than Steam.

It's great to see such an awesome developer branching out and improving the Download Distribution model.

- Mahatma Gandhi

20. Re: No subject Jun 17, 2008, 17:18 Krovven

Or you could say what you actually mean instead of embellishing false info which leads to other false info from other people and ultimately just feeds the trolls like Riley. Try not to take it so personal if someone corrects your misinformation.

This would be another example of false info from Kannibal.

But it's quite rare and often still slightly more than a b&m sale price.

There are new sales on every week, not rare at all, and no they are not often more than retail sales.

----------------------------------------------------
    Grand Theft Auto IV.....what else is there?

PSN ID= Puscifer73
    "Blues News" Steam Community... http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

19. No subject Jun 17, 2008, 17:04 Tim James

Is there a Dagokcheck button to make sure my words are precise enough for him?

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >