Venetica Announced

DTP announces Venetica, a new RPG in the works at German developer Deck 13 for release on PC and Xbox 360 some time next year. There are some screenshots on AtomicGamer along with a gameplay trailer. Word is:
Hamburg/Germany, May 27th, 2008 – Deck 13, one of Germany’s most successful game developers, has teamed up with dtp entertainment to present Venetica, a visually stunning role-play game with a cryptic storyline. Venetica mixes emotions and action in a unique free roaming and living sixteenth century world full of surprise.

In the era of Venetica, Death walks among the living as a flesh & blood being, carrying out the deeds of an ancient council known by a few as Corpus. Each generation of the Corpus is set with the task of selecting the next predecessor of the bringer of death. Unfortunately, the most recent council had unwittingly selected a crafty necromancer who is determined on bringing death and destruction to the world.

This conniving imposter has managed to transform into an undead fiend, which no mortal man can kill. This power-crazed necromancer is hell-bent on destroying the reinstated Death and the council of Corpus. Only one person stands in his way, Scarlett, the daughter of Death.

Up to now she has known nothing of her origins, her powers and the capabilities that she possesses – now she is challenged to learn how to develop and use her powers to save her father and curse the necromancer and his henchmen to the eternal hereafter.

dtp entertainment is going to release Venetica in 2009 for PC and the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft.
View : : :
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: The coming video game crash
May 28, 2008, 20:57
Kxmode

Re: The coming video game crash May 28, 2008, 20:57
May 28, 2008, 20:57
 Kxmode

saturation of the market with dozens of consoles? check

How is that a "check"? Where's the dozens?

I had thought there was more but reviewing in detail it turns out to be a small handful: Xbox 360, Playstation 3, PSP, Wii, DS, DS Lite. I don't think N-gage is relevant anymore.

So I'll give you that one.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

May 28, 2008, 09:30
Re: The coming video game crash May 28, 2008, 09:30
May 28, 2008, 09:30

How is that a "check"? Where's the dozens? The market has consolidated down to three major console platforms (PS3/X360/Wii). Back in the 80s there were a lot more consoles. The market also doesn't seem to be saturated yet since console sales and console game sales continue to grow at impressive levels. We're far, far away from a "check" on this one.

hundreds of mostly low-quality games? check

Compared to back then? Hell no. Even "low quality" games cost a few million $$$ these days. No one's got a few million to dump that easily. Back then it was very, very different because development teams were often made up of only a handful of people at most who were working from home or very small offices. Most games had a budget of a few thousand dollars and were made within a few weeks or months.

Nowadays, even if you want to produce a low quality game, you need a team of 20+ people, a decent office + equipment + software licenses + beer + hookers and all that crap which will set you back a few million dollars at a development cycle of approximately 2-3 years.

Lastly, there's also the difference in scale. "Hundreds of low quality games" back then would equal "hundreds of thousands" of low quality games today simply because the market grew by a few 1000% since the early 80s. Today's market can easily stomach a few hundred "low quality" games because it's so much bigger.

Totally different thing. Once again we're far, far away from a "check".

Hundreds of games in development? check

Once again we need to remember how the scale changed. Today's market is so much bigger that we'd only need to worry if dozens of thousands of games were in the making but the entry level requirements of today's market (a budget of a few million dollars and a certain level of proficiency) do create a "natural" border that isn't easily overcome by any kid that can code three lines of Assembler (like back in the early 80s).
Again: Totally different thing.

I dunno...looks interesting to me
May 28, 2008, 09:10
I dunno...looks interesting to me May 28, 2008, 09:10
May 28, 2008, 09:10

Sounds liek a mdoerately interesting premise. But it looks as if they're using an updated Beyond Good & Evil engine and they could do with some better character art.

Still, a 16th century Venice sounds like a blast to walk through, and they could get some great Chtulu-ish mythos going on.

May 28, 2008, 05:40
Re: The coming video game crash May 28, 2008, 05:40
May 28, 2008, 05:40

There's one difference though. Back then it was almost entirely relegated to kids and nerds. There was a much smaller amount of consumers that were interested in them.

These days the market is positively huge, but then again GTA4 is only 1 game out of many.

No subject
May 28, 2008, 04:50
No subject May 28, 2008, 04:50
May 28, 2008, 04:50

"In a world full of se...." ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

May 28, 2008, 00:04
Kxmode

Re: The coming video game crash May 28, 2008, 00:04
May 28, 2008, 00:04
 Kxmode

is anyone else concerned about this? Companys laying off skilled staff, no jobs to go to, outsourcing/mocap the current darlings of publishers...where do we go from here

I don't think it will crash any time soon given how profitable it has been in recent years. Monthly returns for the industry seems to be averaging half-billion in sales. With GTA4 the industry noted the biggest boost in sales in years with something like over a billion dollars.

However if the video game industry was to crash it would not be for the reasons you point out Wildone. George Santayana said it best, "Those who fail to learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them." The following abridged Wikipedia article on the North American video game crash of 1983 best sums it up...

The North American video game crash of 1983 was the crash of the US video game market in the early 1980s. It almost destroyed the fledgling industry and led to the bankruptcy of several companies producing home computers and video game consoles in North America.

There were several reasons for the crash, but the main cause was saturation of the market with dozens of consoles and hundreds of mostly low-quality games. Hundreds of games were in development for the 1983 release alone, and this overproduction resulted in a saturated market without the consumer interest it needed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_crash_of_1983

saturated market without the consumer interest? this is the only thing keeping the video game industry from collapsing. Consumer interest is really high right now. If publishers, like EA, continue to put out crap it's only a matter of time before consumers loose interest and move onto other things. Granted the 1983 crash was bad, but if a crashed happened today it would be devastating.

-----
This comment was edited on May 28, 00:15.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

The coming video game crash
May 27, 2008, 23:00
The coming video game crash May 27, 2008, 23:00
May 27, 2008, 23:00

is anyone else concerned about this? Companys laying off skilled staff, no jobs to go to, outsourcing/mocap the current darlings of publishers...where do we go from here

Re: hmmm
May 27, 2008, 20:37
Kxmode

Re: hmmm May 27, 2008, 20:37
May 27, 2008, 20:37
 Kxmode

Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft

o'rly?

-----

hmmm
May 27, 2008, 19:56
hmmm May 27, 2008, 19:56
May 27, 2008, 19:56

Cryptic story line, eh? Tell me more without actually telling me anything...

V
How will I know limits from lies if I never try?
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older