Wrath of the Lich King Details

World of Warcraft Website has word on new info Blizzard is offering about the upcoming Wrath of the Lich King expansion for World of Warcraft, their MMORPG. There's a new Death Knight Gameplay Information Page, new wallpapers and a new gameplay features page with "a preview of some of the quest, dungeon, and faction innovations" in the add-on.
View : : :
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: No subject
May 21, 2008, 15:08
Kxmode

Re: No subject May 21, 2008, 15:08
May 21, 2008, 15:08
 Kxmode

Damn, WOW is so played.

I really believe you will see WoW sub numbers really drop in the next year. About 6 months after the expansion is when it will be really dramatic.

Death Knight = terrible idea. Everyone will have one. Everyone. I think many many MANY people are going to migrate to Age of Conan.

Hater

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

May 21, 2008, 10:59
NKD
Re: No subject May 21, 2008, 10:59
May 21, 2008, 10:59
NKD

i'm about to educate you and let you know people DO like to start from scratch. i am one of them.

you are pro-wow? that's fine. but why do you feel the need to attempt to bring AoC down to your level?

Thanks for the condescending "education".

I played AOC for months throughout a buggy beta test. At the end I had reported upwards of 1000 bugs. I gave my best effort to help that game out, I put in 6-8 hours a day knowing it would all be erased, even though I did not think I would end up playing the game in the end. So I think I've earned the right to be a little critical of it. And if you don't think so, then none of us have any right to be critical of anything.

Hell, most people around here criticize things without even having tried them, or knowing anything about them. Sorry if you can't stand to hear anything negative about the game. WoW isn't that great, but everyone praising AOC and Warhammer Online as "wow killers" are just morons. That's NOT how it fucking WORKS.

I don't care if a few scrubs who never accomplish anything of note in MMOs can hop games with ease. It's easy when you haven't invested serious time and effort into a character, and have a ton of friends you'd be leaving behind.

No subject
May 21, 2008, 09:44
No subject May 21, 2008, 09:44
May 21, 2008, 09:44

Joust had mounted combat! =p
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

May 21, 2008, 09:36
Re: No subject May 21, 2008, 09:36
May 21, 2008, 09:36

cyxxon how often do you take a shower? Im guessing about once a week, considering the raving drivel that you have written here in "defense" of your beloved MMO.

The truth is no one is attacking WoW, so why do you feel the need to so fervently defend it?? Is it perhaps out of fear that Conan might actually end up being better?

I don't give a shit how great WoW is or that it "ROXORRS" ALL MMOS! or whatever, Im giving Conan a try simply because it looks to be refreshing. Oh and did I mention the mounted combat?! Mounted Combat!!!! Ive been waiting for that in a game since....well since forever.

I have a nifty blue line!

May 21, 2008, 09:05
Re: No subject May 21, 2008, 09:05
May 21, 2008, 09:05

i'm about to educate you and let you know people DO like to start from scratch. i am one of them.

Well, I believe you, but I really really think that people like you are the minority wrt sheer numbers. For some anecdotal evidence, several people on the server I play jumped ship and went to LotRO when it was released. Most came back. I myself just tried it recently, because I just wanted to see it. Yeah, it's fun. My friends are in WoW, though, so I came back.

On a related side note: AoC really does not interested me. Someone else up this thread said that sure people will leave WoW for AoC since WoW only incluides lackluster AoC, well, i couldn't be interested less, and I even play on a server with the PvP ruleset.

Or AoC so-called "maturity". Damn, the last time I saw an AoC developer diary video I only thought "oh my god, how immature, they need totally unrealistic gore fountains and actually call it mature?" That is only what some immature people want, imo. I mean, seriously. That is not mature, or appealing to a mature crowd, only to a crowd that is legally allowed to buy graphical depictions of violence and reveling in that fact...

May 21, 2008, 08:27
Re: No subject May 21, 2008, 08:27
May 21, 2008, 08:27

There is really only one reason to turn down a free trial of WoW. You are afraid you'll like it and it will eat your life.

Edit: Damn fingers can't type at brain speed.

This comment was edited on May 21, 08:28.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

May 21, 2008, 06:26
Re: No subject May 21, 2008, 06:26
May 21, 2008, 06:26

If only I did but turning down (free/14 trial) WoW is a good choice thought?

May 21, 2008, 05:29
Re: No subject May 21, 2008, 05:29
May 21, 2008, 05:29

This is such a huge misconception. Despite what people on forums threaten to do when Blizzard doesn't improve their class in the way they want, few if any people actually "migrate" anywhere. They may buy a game and try it out for 30 days, but it comes down to one thing: People don't like to start from scratch.

you are pro-wow? that's fine. but why do you feel the need to attempt to bring AoC down to your level?

May 21, 2008, 05:10
ibm
Re: No subject May 21, 2008, 05:10
May 21, 2008, 05:10
ibm

I hope you didn't turn down the illegal drugs.

May 21, 2008, 04:10
Re: No subject May 21, 2008, 04:10
May 21, 2008, 04:10

I went into a software store this morning and after looking at some PC game (was look to grab the Civ IV Complete DVD and sell my Civ IV, Warlords and BtS to a friend) as I went to walk out the store clerk said to me "do you play warcraft" I said "No", he held up a soft cd/dvd case and said "do you wanta give it a try" I responded "I know what it is" to which he said "It's free", "I'm sweet" I replyed and turned and walked away.

This same event as happen to me before with illeagel drugs, as I walked away I was freaked out by this.

(Should I try Warcraft? Is it that bad? Am I just Trolling?)

May 21, 2008, 03:48
NKD
Re: No subject May 21, 2008, 03:48
May 21, 2008, 03:48
NKD

I think many many MANY people are going to migrate to Age of Conan.

This is such a huge misconception. Despite what people on forums threaten to do when Blizzard doesn't improve their class in the way they want, few if any people actually "migrate" anywhere. They may buy a game and try it out for 30 days, but it comes down to one thing: People don't like to start from scratch.

Add to that the fact that AOC has no content with which to keep people busy, and the fact that it is quite buggy and unpolished, even for a new MMO.

AOC isn't a flop, but its definitely not some kind of WoW killer naive idiots were thinking it would be. WoW has reached critical mass, it's a social networking thing as much as it is a game now. People looking to play an MMO aren't gonna go play by themselves in some game no one is playing, they are gonna go where their friends are, and it's probably WoW.

I was in the Age of Conan beta for a few months and had a level 73 Conqueror before the last character wipe and a 71 Dark Templar after. I can tell you without a doubt that many people will try the game, but their subscriber numbers will not hit anything spectacular, and the retention will be extremely poor due to lack of content.

Wrath of the Lich King will come out and despite everyone whining about Death Knight, everyone is going to want to try one, and everyone is going to want to see all the new content. Blizzard is really onto something here. They've found that players will put up with no significant new content for about 1.5 to 2 years, assuming you add little tidbits here and there, an instance or something. So they don't have the stress of putting out a pack every 6 or 12 months, and wait until their playerbase is just starting to get content fatigue, and then drop a new xpac on em.

The only people quitting WoW permanently to go play some other MMO are people who are just burned out on the game entirely (relatively rare, usually other reasons like a guild breakup or problems, or real life schedule changes). Or, they are casual players who MMO-hop constantly anyway and probably have not invested much effort into their WoW characters.

For all its problems, with WoW at least you know what you're getting. You don't get crashes every 15 minutes, zones don't crash constantly, the game runs on a wide variety of systems instead of requiring a $2000 rig to run well. Heh, and in AOC all the pretty graphics are worthless because you can't see anything until its 5 feet in front of you, even maxed out.

You also know you will be getting timely patches that have been tested and aren't going to break the whole damn game for half the players.

Funcom has great ideas but they are terrible at launching and maintaining an MMO.
This comment was edited on May 21, 03:53.

May 21, 2008, 01:56
Re: No subject May 21, 2008, 01:56
May 21, 2008, 01:56

I agree that only having the one hero class with the expansion is dumb at best. How many years have they had to add new races and classes? How many have they added? 2 races, and 1 upcoming class?

I was really underwhelmed with AOC and won't be even considering it for a year or two - and most people will end up feeling the same way. AOC is NOT ready for prime time. Another pre-emptive launch, and Funcom is going to pay for it. Wait and see.

That aside, every MOG is good in small doses. I haven't played WoW in about 2 years now, and I'm just starting to feel the itch again. Grabbing BC and Wrath will keep me entertained for several months then that'll be that for a year or so, whenever Bliz comes out with something really new. I'll be curious to see when they do the graphic overhaul of the game.

All things considered though, I still want Diablo 3 more than anything else they could possibly do as a company.

"He was one of a kind. He was a mutant. A real heavyweight water buffalo type...who could chew his way through a concrete wall and spit out the other side, covered with lime and chalk, and look good in doing it." - Bill Murray as Dr. Hunter S. Thompson -
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

May 21, 2008, 00:07
Re: No subject May 21, 2008, 00:07
May 21, 2008, 00:07

I'm one of those people. WoW had its chance for me, and now their lack of attention towards the World PvP gameplay has turned me towards Age of Conan, and so far I'm loving it. It is different than WoW but so far it's a LOT of fun. Also it's the smoothest launch of an MMO that I can remember.

- - - - - -
AoC: Darsius (Cimmeria) -- WoW: Darsius (Earthen Ring) -- CoH: Photon Prime (Freedom) -- TF2 and CoD4: Slink(FSU)
This comment was edited on May 21, 00:14.
My Steam Community link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/slinkfsu

No subject
May 20, 2008, 23:15
No subject May 20, 2008, 23:15
May 20, 2008, 23:15

Damn, WOW is so played.

I really believe you will see WoW sub numbers really drop in the next year. About 6 months after the expansion is when it will be really dramatic.

Death Knight = terrible idea. Everyone will have one. Everyone. I think many many MANY people are going to migrate to Age of Conan.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older