Mass Effect/Spore DRM Changes

The Mass Effect Community Forums offer a post from BioWare community manager Jay Watamaniuk called Official BioWare/EA Response to DRM Discussion that follows up on discontent over plans to require online authentication every ten days for Mass Effect (story) with word they are scrapping this unpopular plan for one that requires a single online authentication (thanks Gamer's Hell). Update: Word on Kotaku is this change applies to Spore, as well. The post includes a FAQ on the topic, along with this announcement:
There has been a lot of discussion in the past few days on how the security requirements for Mass Effect for PC will work. BioWare, a division of EA, wants to let fans know that Mass Effect will not require 10- day periodic re-authentication.

BioWare has always listened very closely to its fans and we made this decision to ensure we are delivering the best possible experience to them. To all the fans including our many friends in the armed services and internationally who expressed concerns that they would not be able re-authenticate as often as required, EA and BioWare want you to know that your feedback is important to us.

The solution being implemented for Mass Effect for the PC changes copy protection from being key disc based, which requires authentication every time you play the game by requiring a disc in the drive, to a one time online authentication.

This system has an added benefit of allowing players to seamlessly play the game without needing the DVD in the drive.

Key points---

•This solution allows gamers to authenticate their game on three different computers with the purchase of one disc. EA Customer Service is on hand to supply any additional authorizations that are warranted. This will be done on a case-by-case basis by contacting customer support.

• Games are authorized to the machine when the player installs and launches the software for the first time.

• We’ve all had those times when the discs get lost or scratched and you can’t play a game you’ve bought because you need a working disc in the drive. With the new system players will no longer need the disc to play the game, but can instead simply retain the disc as back up for re-installation.
View : : :
86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Re: No subject
May 15, 2008, 19:54
Re: No subject May 15, 2008, 19:54
May 15, 2008, 19:54

well, if you plan on not buying either Sport or ME because of the DRM, then you NEED to send them a letter, not an e-mail, saying so. If you simply don't buy the game, they will of course continue to assume that poor sales solely due to piracy and PC gaming will die just like they've been saying. "Oh nooes, we put all kinds of DRM to protect our game from pirates and it STILL didn't sell. It must have been pirated anyway. Damn those pirates. We're only going to make games for the console from now on where it's more difficult to pirate games. PC gaming is dead." It's a self fulfilling prophecy and they're partially the cause of it.

I can live with activation and a reasonable number of installs, especially if there is a revoke utility. When the activation servers eventually go offline, and they will, it will either be cracked by people smarter than me, or hopefully, they will release an official patch removing the activation requirement. I will believe that though after Bioshock does it. Of course, how many of those can they release before the people pirating software figure out what those patches change and then simply release a fix that does the same thing for new software on zero day?

No subject
May 14, 2008, 04:06
No subject May 14, 2008, 04:06
May 14, 2008, 04:06

cant believe you culled the thread blue :p

No subject
May 10, 2008, 20:39
No subject May 10, 2008, 20:39
May 10, 2008, 20:39

They still won't be getting my money on either game.

I have plenty of other things to do with my $100.

The method they are using still sucks and is anti-consumer. They can take their stupid anti-piracy shit and shove it. I think it's time I moved on to other hobbies anyways. The way gaming is trending is not good.

These companies have got to figure out they aren't doing US the privilege. We are doing THEM the privilege by buying their product. Treat us as such.

This comment was edited on May 10, 20:42.

haha
May 10, 2008, 17:54
haha May 10, 2008, 17:54
May 10, 2008, 17:54

I went ahead and just bought it on 360 from a guy at work that was done with it, and had completely written off spore because of it.

I guess I could still buy spore. hmm, if only it were on steam.

Re: Still won't buy it
May 10, 2008, 11:06
Re: Still won't buy it May 10, 2008, 11:06
May 10, 2008, 11:06

Grrrrr. The one time I go with my gut and actually cancel a preorder is the one time they cave in and fix the offeding problem. Oh well, still too little too late. That cash went to a WoW card and some Rock Band songs <shrug>.

May 10, 2008, 10:54
Re: Still won't buy it May 10, 2008, 10:54
May 10, 2008, 10:54

Until it turned out to be more like 3 installs than 3 computers for many people who made the slightest changes like updating drivers to try and get the game to work properly. So I'm curious as to why you are giving them the benifit of the doubt and saying its 3 computers
I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt. I'm reading the announcement literally. It says: "This solution allows gamers to authenticate their game on three different computers with the purchase of one disc." Now that may very well be wrong and it may really be that it can only be installed 3 times on one computer. But that's not what the announcement says. As I said in a previous post, taken at face value they're saying it can be installed on 3 computers.

This comment was edited on May 10, 10:56.

May 10, 2008, 08:14
Re: No subject May 10, 2008, 08:14
May 10, 2008, 08:14

/me thinking what to type
Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

May 10, 2008, 04:38
>U
Re: No subject May 10, 2008, 04:38
May 10, 2008, 04:38
>U

EA was one of the ones where you were shit out of luck.
That would be a change in policy then because EA used to offer replacement shrinkwrapped copies for return to the store.

Sierra/Vivendi used to be the best of the major publishers because most if not all of its games had 30-day money-back guarantees. The company would even refund the return shipping.

This comment was edited on May 19, 14:36.

No subject
May 10, 2008, 04:25
No subject May 10, 2008, 04:25
May 10, 2008, 04:25

This DRM stuff will fail as long as people reject it. I know it may be hard, but simply do not purchase EA games until they have stopped doing this to people. I will simply play all the games I already own and can simply put into my machine and play because they DO NOT have these lame DRM protections. There are plenty of other good games out too, and coming out. Just choose not to vote for DRM.

If we don't then we can expect other games like this to be sold the same way. Can you imagine every single game you presently own being done like this? What a mess.

This comment was edited on May 10, 04:44.
PS3 resurgance by GOW3 - Check! Mass Effect for PS3 - Check! Diablo 3 for consoles? I say "For sure"!

I love these guys
May 10, 2008, 03:24
I love these guys May 10, 2008, 03:24
May 10, 2008, 03:24

May 10, 2008, 03:18
Re: No subject May 10, 2008, 03:18
May 10, 2008, 03:18

"This is true, but what stores allow you to return opened software? It's a situation where you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. You're told to return the software, but no one will accept the return. The games publisher might let you mail the software back, but I doubt it."

PC Gamer actually tested that awhile back, with the 8 biggest publishers, to see what would happen if they wanted to return the game because they didn't agree to the EULA. I don't have the issue anymore, but off the top of my head, 1 offered a refund, 2 or 3 offered to replace the "used" copy with a new shrinkwrapped one so you could return it, and the other 4 or 5 were basically "huh? You don't agree with the EULA? What do you mean?" and you were shit out of luck.

EA was one of the ones where you were shit out of luck.

A one time authentication I can live with. A maximum limit of 3 installs is bullshit.

Creston

May 10, 2008, 03:00
>U
Re: No subject May 10, 2008, 03:00
May 10, 2008, 03:00
>U

This is the kinda thing we as a gaming community can achieve with an outcry.
I hope not because so far it has achieved next to nothing. EA asked customers for the moon and the stars and still ended up with the moon and most of the stars.

This comment was edited on May 10, 03:07.

May 10, 2008, 02:58
>U
Re: No subject May 10, 2008, 02:58
May 10, 2008, 02:58
>U

I'm not sure if the companies still have to take them back or not
No, they don't IF they post the EULA's in the store or online. So, the lawsuit turned out to screw the consumers to the benefit of the lawyers (who got a huge windfall in legal fees) and the software companies. Consumers in California going forward get screwed because there are still no returns on opened software.

This comment was edited on May 10, 03:13.

May 10, 2008, 02:53
>U
Re: No subject May 10, 2008, 02:53
May 10, 2008, 02:53
>U

If the store doesn't take the software back then the company must take it back. Why do you doubt that you can mail it back?
Because Activision for one clearly states in its EULA's and its game manuals that it will not accept returns for refund or otherwise. It will only honor its warranty exchange for identical replacement.

This comment was edited on May 10, 04:49.

No subject
May 10, 2008, 02:44
No subject May 10, 2008, 02:44
May 10, 2008, 02:44

a mandatory activation online for a single player game is BS.
anyway its EA, who cares...

May 10, 2008, 02:25
PHJF

Re: Still won't buy it May 10, 2008, 02:25
May 10, 2008, 02:25
 PHJF

Mass Effect is entirely not replayable. Two of the group characters are maddeningly boring (go figure, the two humans) and two of the aliens are almost entirely worthless in a firefight, which is 99% of the game. Every planet that isn't directly involved in the main story is a carbon copy of every other planet. Weapons don't alter play style at all (in fact the sniper rifle was totally worthless as it didn't kill in one hit, overheated more quickly than any other weapon, and was unrealistic in situations of half dozen or more enemies, which is most encounters). Enemy AI is crap. Dialog is trademark BioWare: You have the Jesus tone and the Satan tone.

The story itself is anything but original.

Honestly the only thing Mass Effect was actually good for was the Codex. The backstory and galactic history was well designed, unlike the rest of the game. No way in hell I'm getting this, playing through on my friends box was enough.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

May 10, 2008, 02:17
Dev
Re: Still won't buy it May 10, 2008, 02:17
May 10, 2008, 02:17
Dev

Ecthelion:
ppl said same thing about bioshock, that surely it had to be 3 differant computers, not 3 installs,
that it wouldn't make any sense to do 3 installs since ppl reinstall all the time.

Until it turned out to be more like 3 installs than 3 computers for many people who made the slightest changes like updating drivers to try and get the game to work properly. So I'm curious as to why you are giving them the benifit of the doubt and saying its 3 computers
Also, you mention that bioshock isn't very long, well Mass effect is much longer, and more replayable. So a higher percentage of people will be changing hardware playing ME than BS.

People adding wireless are doing it more for reasons of not having to run wires around the house.
I think that MANY gamers have wireless now. Especially ones who aren't die hard shooter gamers where every ms of a ping counts.

May 10, 2008, 01:52
Re: Still won't buy it May 10, 2008, 01:52

• We’ve all had those times when the discs get lost or scratched and you can’t play a game you’ve bought because you need a working disc in the drive. With the new system players will no longer need the disc to play the game, but can instead simply retain the disc as back up for re-installation.

i've never had those times. ive always used no-cd patches. get with the program ea/bioware !

No subject
Dev
No subject May 10, 2008, 01:52
Dev

This is the kinda thing we as a gaming community can achieve with an outcry. Congrats everyone!

Regarding EULA and taking back opened software, there was a class action lawsuit about this against MS and adobe a couple years ago here in California. It was decided to allow people to take them back, and now MS and adobe post eulas on the web so you can read them before you open them. I'm not sure if the companies still have to take them back or not, but it was definately a valid lawsuit, considering no one was taking them back even though EULA told you to.
I dunno about the rest of the companies or states, but I'm sure someone could google up the info.

Still won't buy it
May 10, 2008, 00:55
Still won't buy it May 10, 2008, 00:55
May 10, 2008, 00:55

The DRM changed, but it's still too restrictive. More restrictive than BioShock and I couldn't bring myself to pay for that DRM.

http://www.bandega.com - Never miss a show again
86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older