LotRO Wants You Back

The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar Website has details on a "Welcome Back Weekend" that will offer free access to former subscribers to the Tolkien-inspired MMORPG. Word is the event will run from tomorrow through Sunday: "Play your old characters, check out the LOTRO Anniversary celebration events, explore new areas, and tackle new quests. Just log into your LOTRO account from May 8-12, 2008 and we'll take care of the fun and adventure."
View : : :
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: LotRO is pretty good
May 8, 2008, 15:33
Re: LotRO is pretty good May 8, 2008, 15:33
May 8, 2008, 15:33

However, I think saying that AOC is down to three of four technical issues (Vista, quad core, SLI, dual cores) and that if you have XP/single core/non sli, that it’ll be “running nearly perfect” is a bit off base, and is contradicted by what others are saying in the beta/technical forums.

Actually I run a Dual core and XP.

SLI is problematic for a lot of games.
Same with Vista.

Quad cores being an issue... that one has me stumped, if it is truly an issue.

As for it being perfect... no. All I was saying is I've seen a dramatic difference between 2 different beta builds.

That's a bit more promising, than the "this game is doomed from the gate" theory.

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

Re: Can I play?
May 8, 2008, 12:13
Re: Can I play? May 8, 2008, 12:13
May 8, 2008, 12:13

Can you please kindly list what is different?

Here is the last set of changes:

http://www.lotro.com/book11
http://www.lotro.com/book12
http://www.lotro.com/book13

May 8, 2008, 12:10
Re: LotRO is pretty good May 8, 2008, 12:10
May 8, 2008, 12:10

From my persepctive (and many others in the closed beta), the game went from severely crashy, graphical glitchy, and laggy from a previous build to running nearly perfect closed beta build that came shortly after Open Beta Launch.

Ultimately, this is a disagreement based on the perception of the stability of the client and server. For you, it's good. For others, it hasn't been.

However, I think saying that AOC is down to three of four technical issues (Vista, quad core, SLI, dual cores) and that if you have XP/single core/non sli, that it’ll be “running nearly perfect” is a bit off base, and is contradicted by what others are saying in the beta/technical forums.

I'm happy the game works well for you. I'm just trying to give others fair warning that it may not work well out the gate for everyone, and is still crash prone, graphically glitchy, laggy, and disconnect prone for some (I don’t feel comfortable using “many” for either side of this discussion as there is no evidence to back up the claim). Furthermore, regardless of the technical issues, there are still basic game mechanics are missing, bugged, broken and/or unbalanced. The game simply isn't stable for a lot of people, and in my opinion, isn't very polished at this point.

I’m not saying the game doesn’t have potential. I’m saying that given the less then two weeks to release, combined with the current stability issues, the lack of polish (imho), the furious rate of untested client and server patches trying to address these issues the last minute, and Funcom's previous rocky game release history, I don't think it's unfair to recommend waiting a few weeks to see how the launch goes before purchasing this product.

Sorry to hijack the LOTR thread to talk about AOC. If it makes anyone feel better, I just rick-rolled myself. Twice.

Everything above is my OPINION, not FACT. Unless my FACTS turn out to be incorrect. Then they were just my OPINIONS.

May 8, 2008, 11:16
Ant

Re: Can I play? May 8, 2008, 11:16
May 8, 2008, 11:16
 Ant

zapata: Can you please kindly list what is different?
Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

May 8, 2008, 10:09
Re: LotRO is pretty good May 8, 2008, 10:09
May 8, 2008, 10:09

Ok...

From my persepctive (and many others in the closed beta), the game went from severely crashy, graphical glitchy, and laggy from a previous build to running nearly perfect closed beta build that came shortly after Open Beta Launch.

Other than some Vista issues and possibly Quad core issues... the game seems perfectly stable for most people with XP and possibly dual dual cores (I'm not sue if quad cores are really an issue).

Anyway, if your running Vista, you deserve what you get!
And if one is running SLI in Vista... they Doubly deserve it!

May 7, 2008, 22:48
Re: LotRO is pretty good May 7, 2008, 22:48
May 7, 2008, 22:48

The closed beta client is quite stable.

I'm going to have to call you on that one. I've been playing in the beta for many months now. Things aren't going real well as of late. Actually, a better way of saying that is things have gone from marginally bad to pretty awful in a very short time span.

People are having the same problems in closed as they are in the open, myself included. The AOC beta tech forums are full of closed and open beta people complaining about everything from BSOD'S to corrupt installer files to lag, connection drops, etc.

Just in one play session (yesterday) on the closed beta they pushed 4 patches down to the client. How exactly do you document, case/unit/load test 4 patches in one day?

Game's been down 4+ hours today while they try to fix a server patch gone horribly wrong (Patch Gone Wild!).

Game release is in 13 days. The game itself, outside of technical issues, needs a ton of work to be ready. I'm predicting a huge mess, so I'm staying away until the dust settles.

Everything above is my OPINION, not FACT. Except where I stated facts. All of which are questionable until you have done your research to prove or disprove them. Warranty not valid in all states. Some conditions may apply.

May 7, 2008, 22:39
Re: LotRO is pretty good May 7, 2008, 22:39
May 7, 2008, 22:39

P.S. -- The Age of Conan open beta has been a pretty rocky affair in terms of stability, bugs, crashes, stuttering/stalling and horrendous load times. I was ready to preorder AoC, but now I think I'm going to wait a few months to see how the launch goes and whether they can get rid of the performance issues and bugs.

I'm with you on that LJ. Conan is a mess right now. It's not AO-when-it-launched, but lord, it ain't all that much better. I cancelled my pre-order as well.

This comment was edited on May 7, 22:40.

Re: No subject
May 7, 2008, 21:45
Re: No subject May 7, 2008, 21:45
May 7, 2008, 21:45

Actually there is PVP in LOTRO. You can even play as a creature.

May 7, 2008, 21:43
Re: Can I play? May 7, 2008, 21:43
May 7, 2008, 21:43

i dont play the game because hobbits are ugly and dont wear any fucking shoes.

May 7, 2008, 21:13
Re: Can I play? May 7, 2008, 21:13
May 7, 2008, 21:13

i was in the beta and didn't buy the game til december. it definitely improved - you ought to give it a try and see if you think it's worth the $10 a month. couldn't hurt

May 7, 2008, 20:39
Re: LotRO is pretty good May 7, 2008, 20:39
May 7, 2008, 20:39

*rolls eyes*

Does that work on anyone? It's shocking that anyone would believe a statement like this when the game is sitting right in front of them stuttering and crashing.

I really don't give a shit if you believe it or not.

/shrug

Since I've used both the Closed Beta client and a previous build (Not the Open beta, but one apparently just as bad as the Open beta client, if not worse)... I do know the differences. Again, whether you choose to believe it or not... doesn't matter to me in the least.

This comment was edited on May 7, 20:40.

Can I play?
May 7, 2008, 19:41
Ant

Can I play? May 7, 2008, 19:41
May 7, 2008, 19:41
 Ant

I tested the ending beta, but not the finalized game. I think I was a human warrior in the beta. Has the game improved since then?

This comment was edited on May 7, 19:41.
Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

May 7, 2008, 18:42
Re: No subject May 7, 2008, 18:42
May 7, 2008, 18:42

I agree with Brubold about LOTRO.

as for AoC, I got into General Beta due to my tech tester invitation and am not having nearly as much instability as some people, the game runs at about the same frame rate as LOTRO did for me which is 15 low 30-40 avg on a med-high computer plus the every few hour memory leak crash (LOTRO had this in beta too) but overall the game is a fair bit more buggy then I remember LOTRO being at this stage. I'm a lvl 35 and have run into several bugged quests and glitches. nothing totally game breaking though. I am enjoying the visuals and gameplay a lot in fact.

No subject
May 7, 2008, 18:18
No subject May 7, 2008, 18:18
May 7, 2008, 18:18

I've played LOTRO off and on since early beta. If you are a fan of the lore, you'll be a fan of the game while you level up. There are tons of great lore based quests.

The problem is that if you're a power gamer you will skip most of the lore as you just strive to level up as quickly as possible. That and end game content is completely lame. So if you're that type of player I'd pass on LOTRO unless you just want something different to do for a month or two. If you want to do that my advice would be to play a hobbit as there are Shire quests that are quite different than standard MMO quests. Pie and mail deliveries and such.

Also, anyone that only tries the game for a few hours and then quits isn't getting a true sense of the game. The beginning levels are very basic for all classes because Turbine knew they'd be getting a lot of first time MMOers that played because they were fans of the books. So they had to make the beginning levels easy mode to break those people in.

Oh and to stay with the main topic I guess I should add that the decision to have AoC open beta with what's supposedly a 6 month old client was the worst business decision I've seen in MMOs for quite a while. The open beta client certainly didn't convince me to buy the game when it launches.

This comment was edited on May 7, 18:22.

May 7, 2008, 17:59
Re: LotRO is pretty good May 7, 2008, 17:59
May 7, 2008, 17:59

The closed beta client is quite stable. The open beta client isn't. Why they gave the open beta people a crap client, I don't know.

So, I don't think they are going to have as bad of a launch as you think.

*rolls eyes*

Does that work on anyone? It's shocking that anyone would believe a statement like this when the game is sitting right in front of them stuttering and crashing.

May 7, 2008, 17:48
Re: No subject May 7, 2008, 17:48
May 7, 2008, 17:48

Seems like every time someone talks shit on LOTRO, Darkcntry comes out to belittle them lol

But like someone said in a comment a few weeks ago, The game isn't for everyone, If you're an older guy who doesn't game hardcore its the perfect game for you! My distaste for the game comes from the fact that I'm a younger guy who plays hardcore and hence the game does not fulfill my desires for a false sense of accomplishment :-P

May 7, 2008, 17:03
Re: No subject May 7, 2008, 17:03
May 7, 2008, 17:03

Hello Kitty Online is gonna so fucking own this game!

May 7, 2008, 15:44
Re: No subject May 7, 2008, 15:44
May 7, 2008, 15:44

It never fails. Any mention of LORTO, and the freakish Turbine fanbois come out of the woodwork to slam WoW and its customers.

Fact of the matter is this. Without the LOTR part, LOTRO would have nothing going for it. If Turbine is already offering an incentive to get subscribers back, obviously the game is tanking, as it should.

I'm sure the Turbine PR team will spin this somehow, and the fanbio's will tell us its their servers are overflowing with subscribers, etc etc. You know, those same 11 server that the game had at its start, the ones that haven't needed to be upgraded, nor have any additions to handle the "millions" who were going to play the game.

Yet another Turbine flop.

Oh boy...

There's nothing inherently wrong with LOTRO, it's a far different game than most MMOers want and hey, that's fine. I'm perfectly happy with how LOTRO plays and the type of gameplay it offers.

To use the whole "well no new servers" or "servers were combined" is no longer a real good means to determine the heartbeat of an MMO. There's plenty of people to keep LOTRO going happily and that's what matters. Trying to decry pulling in more people as some sort of doomsaying is, well, asinine. This tactic is simply a draw to get older players back in to see how much of the game has changed since it went live and to prospect them to re-up for their expansion in September, nothing nefarious in that, but common sense seems to be lacking on a lot of people today.

Does LOTRO have it's problems, yes...but overall, I find it a far more polished MMO than all of the others that I have played and like I said, I like how LOTRO plays over that of raid/PVP-centric games.

To call this a flop only goes to show just how much intelligence you have in this subject.

May 7, 2008, 15:41
Re: LotRO is pretty good May 7, 2008, 15:41
May 7, 2008, 15:41

P.S. -- The Age of Conan open beta has been a pretty rocky affair in terms of stability, bugs, crashes, stuttering/stalling and horrendous load times. I was ready to preorder AoC, but now I think I'm going to wait a few months to see how the launch goes and whether they can get rid of the performance issues and bugs.

The closed beta client is quite stable. The open beta client isn't. Why they gave the open beta people a crap client, I don't know.

So, I don't think they are going to have as bad of a launch as you think.

May 7, 2008, 15:27
Re: No subject May 7, 2008, 15:27
May 7, 2008, 15:27

Yin and Yang, yanno ;).

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older