Age Of Conan Pre-Orders/Early Access Changes

The Age Of Conan: Hyborian Adventures Website announces that registration is underway for pre-order customers of Funcom's MMORPG, which will allow the purchase of early access to the game (thanks Gamer's Hell). The update also announces the early access date for EU customers has been pushed up to May 17 to coincide with the program's launch in the US, and that they have removed the planned level cap for early access:
Registration for customers with pre-order keys has now opened on http://register.ageofconan.com. Registering with a valid pre-order key (such as the Rhino or Mammoth key) is the unique way to be eligible to purchase Early Access for 5€/5$. This fee includes 10 days of game-time as well as the digital download of the client. Hurry though, because the Early Access is only available while supply lasts!

Note that pre-order items such as the Rhino and Mammoth is not available on Early Access accounts. Once an Early Access account is upgraded with the retail key, the virtual item can be claimed. The originally planned level capping of the Early Access has been removed.

The launch date for early access in Europe has been moved forward! Both the US and EU servers open on the 17th of May (5pm GMT). This date used to be the 20th for the EU servers, thus European players are now getting 6 days of early access until the regular launch on May 23rd!
View : : :
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: No subject
May 6, 2008, 21:04
Re: No subject May 6, 2008, 21:04
May 6, 2008, 21:04

I'm no shill and I know the game is not perfect, not even close. But is it fun? Hell, yeah. If you're bored in six or seven levels you have to ask yourself... do I like playing MMOs or games in general? Or am I just burnt out on MMOs or games in general? I know I go through it a couple times a year. Nothing holds my attention but a good book or a great movie. Your mood effects your perception in everything you do. From driving a vehicle... to nailing that fat chick who looked hot after drinking too much at the bar.

It's a fact. I have liked or dislike games solely on my mood and/or attitude at the time I played or tried to play them. No excuse, but the point is even with a great game like GTA IV there are still people out there talking it down. It happens. No game can please all.

And those of you screaming BUGGY MESS I'd like to ask you to do the math. First find out how many people are now in the beta and accessing the servers on a daily basis. Then figure out the number or estimate the number of those vocal posters screaming your game won't run on my system. And you'll realize the fraction of people having an issue isn't as huge as it may appear.

Not to mention the whole purpose of the beta is to stress the servers and collect data... not just for you to play for free or try-out the game before your subscription info comes due on release day.

I've seen it when it was buggy and calling it that now when I only have a few drops or crashes every couple nights is a bit of an exaggeration from where I sit. Yeah, your system won't run it for one reason or another. Two of mine have run it fine (for the most part) for six months while the code has been constantly changed. On a weekly or even daily basis.

The biggest problem is everybody wants a flawless shiny gem on release day. Guess what? This is a MMO. Every game ever released has some kind of problems on one system build or another. Even consoles that only have two or three builds have issues.

It's part of the hobby. If you're not sure wait. Read the reviews. Upgrade your system. Then buy when you're ready. It will be there and get better as time goes by.

I was in the Vanguard beta and it stank. I waited six months and picked up a copy for <$20 US and it still stinks. So nothing is certain. Again, part of the hobby.

It may not mean a thing to you but I am a fair judge on games (for my tastes anyway). I've been beta testing since the grand-daddy of them all UO was mailed to me on CD-ROM. Want to know a little secret? UO wouldn't run on my system back then either. But it's some eleven or twelve years later and it's still a money maker.

Maybe AoC isn't for you? Maybe it's the best game you'll ever play. Only you can know. Just be patient and try it later if it won't run now. It's open beta so it's going to be a mad-house anyway. Release day is going to be a mad-house also. It goes with the release of an exciting product.

Does any of this mean anything to you? Maybe not. It's the Internet. Just being honest and open here. Trying to help keep things in perspective. Anyway, have fun people. Life is short. Enjoy it.

ledhead1969, As far as what card is the best for you? You have to factor in your entire system build, your finances, what games you play most, what resolution you run your games at on your monitor, and when the next product is due for release.

I've got the 8800 GTS 640, I bought it because my 7900 GT took a dump from running LotR at max settings on a wide-screen for months on end. At least that is my theory. Either way it lasted me longer than most cards have. I went over 18 months on that card.

If I had to buy now I would get the 9800 GTX, the 9800 GX2 is the 9800 1GB. If you have the extra cash you may want to get the GX2. Whatever you do... do your research. These new dual cards require two power supply attachments and a lot of space in the case. Two double wide cards (single or double) can over heat if you're not set up for proper cooling (airflow).

So look at your current card and if you want to stay the same just swap out the card or upgrade card only that limits your options.

Not sure about the ATI options, they seem to have some very cheap options also. Hopefully somebody else can give some pointers there.

Again, read lots of reviews paying attention to all the little details. Hope that helps...

This comment was edited on May 6, 21:13.

May 6, 2008, 17:23
Re: No subject May 6, 2008, 17:23
May 6, 2008, 17:23

WoW sort of has loading. The key ones are usually when your switching world, arena, instance, battleground servers. Hence the reason why you can have a whole continent crash in WoW while not effecting other people.

AoC zoning is like EverQuest(or eq2) where huge "zones" are setup and you have load times when switching out of them.

Both of them have upsides and downsides.

Edit: Been reading a lot of info on quite a few sites. There is major issues with loading time's which is related to quite a few factors. Bad memory leaks, nvidia issues, crashes, servers swamped, and some pretty stiff requirements to honestly play with some good detail, 8800gt(but there's nvidia glitches)/3+GB RAM/2GHz+ processor.

Not a Vanguard release but my god when will someone build a solid client first.
This comment was edited on May 6, 17:37.

May 6, 2008, 13:59
Re: No subject May 6, 2008, 13:59
May 6, 2008, 13:59

This game is NOT READY! Way too many bugs for something being released in only three weeks.

As opposed to all those other games that are ready by launch : )

-Alamar

Re: Basis for Fun
May 6, 2008, 12:40
Re: Basis for Fun May 6, 2008, 12:40
May 6, 2008, 12:40

At least do the destiny quest at nighttime to see if you like that.. Its alot of fun because its a story chain quest.

Basis for Fun
May 6, 2008, 12:05
Basis for Fun May 6, 2008, 12:05
May 6, 2008, 12:05

I'm wondering if I'm missing something in this game because the only thing that seems a bit different in this game is the blocking/attacking directions.

You can set yourself to block forward/left/right and the more you block in one area the less you block in another. So when you attack an enemy with full defense on the right you hit them on the left which then makes the enemy block full left, so then you hit right. A simple varied attack seems to beat everything very easily. (1,2,3 on the keyboard for left/forward/right attack)

Is that how combat in this is supposed to be different and cool in this game? I think I've hit level 6 and I'm wondering when combat becomes better or if this is the whole concept. In other games you'd press a certain number on the keyboard to activate an attack or special, in this game you have to press the 1, 2 and 3 keys to attack and then use the other keys to activate specials.

The graphics are pretty, I like the look of the game but it just feels like I've done all this before.

Am I just not far enough along to enjoy the game yet?

No subject
May 6, 2008, 11:56
No subject May 6, 2008, 11:56
May 6, 2008, 11:56

Meh, I've installed it on three completely different systems with no problems other than the known epic loading screens, and choppy play the first minute inside a new area.

This comment was edited on May 6, 11:56.
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

Re: beta key
May 6, 2008, 11:39
Re: beta key May 6, 2008, 11:39
May 6, 2008, 11:39

Game is NOT READY and has some MAJOR issues. All you have to do is look at Fion's post history to see he is a complete shill for this game, even insulting to people who report their problems to this game, so his opinion is biased and worthless.

I would wait a few weeeks after launch before picking this one up till the word gets out on its true state.

May 6, 2008, 11:09
Re: No subject May 6, 2008, 11:09
May 6, 2008, 11:09

Doesn't WoW load at zones? AoCs zones are also bigger than Wow...from what I've heard.

Re: No beta for me?
May 6, 2008, 10:33
Re: No beta for me? May 6, 2008, 10:33
May 6, 2008, 10:33

Ant the best that you're going to find is a week or two free trial. If thats too much "stuff" well too bad

I have a nifty blue line!

No beta for me?
May 6, 2008, 09:14
Ant

No beta for me? May 6, 2008, 09:14
May 6, 2008, 09:14
 Ant

I still haven't gotten into the beta and I am not going to subscribe to FilePlanet just for it. Oh well, no buy for me then unless the full game has a free demo without requiring a credit card and stuff.

May 6, 2008, 07:32
Re: No subject May 6, 2008, 07:32
May 6, 2008, 07:32

Too bad seamless is more important than eye candy.
‘What is this bullshit that you people are doing?’
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably.
Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!
Ain't no tweetin, in jail jammies!

May 6, 2008, 06:29
Re: No subject May 6, 2008, 06:29
May 6, 2008, 06:29

Confirmed...there are loading screens. Areas are zone based, so when you move from one area to the next you get a loading screen. Unfortunately, the world is not seemless like WoW. Dev comment was this was the tradeoff to get all the eye candy in AoC.

May 6, 2008, 04:15
Re: No subject May 6, 2008, 04:15
May 6, 2008, 04:15

Hopefully we'll know on the 17th. I'm going to wait the extra five days before deciding to buy on launch date or to wait a bit till they patch it up a bit.

I have a nifty blue line!

No subject
May 6, 2008, 03:58
No subject May 6, 2008, 03:58
May 6, 2008, 03:58

Can someone confirm the loading screen issues? I heard that there are a lot of loading screens?

If you would die tomorrow...what then? John 3:16
God gave man dominion--the pains you see are because of our decisions--not His!
o0

Re: Say What?
May 6, 2008, 03:07
Re: Say What? May 6, 2008, 03:07
May 6, 2008, 03:07

"Oh, if you are thinking about a new video card the prices are falling again. Go take a look... "

What one should I get? Willing to buy the best...what is the best that will future proof me for a while. 9800GTX? 9800SLI? 9800GX2? 9800 1GB? Radeon 3870? Uggh, what will run Conan maxed everything 1920/1200?

This comment was edited on May 6, 03:10.

To all the posters claim no problems...
May 6, 2008, 02:51
To all the posters claim no problems... May 6, 2008, 02:51
May 6, 2008, 02:51

What drugs are you ON??!! Have you not been reading the beta forums and the avalanche of issues people are reporting in the feedback pages. This game is a buggy mess, no way they can get it ready for May 20.

Steer clear until Funcom gets their act together!!

Mark my words, the game will go into melt-down come May 20.

This comment was edited on May 6, 02:53.

No subject
May 6, 2008, 02:16
No subject May 6, 2008, 02:16
May 6, 2008, 02:16

While the game is clearly being released early, I don't think there's anything game breaking left in it. It really could use a few more months of dev time though. They don't even have all the assets done for the first area, pieces of clothing with just a big ? where the art should be.

It does seem to be one of the better MMORPGs released in a while, even unpolished.

They did not replace raids with PvP, they will have both.

This comment was edited on May 6, 02:17.
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

Say What?
May 6, 2008, 00:59
Say What? May 6, 2008, 00:59
May 6, 2008, 00:59

"Im in closed beta and its just like open beta.. FPS issues, loading takes 5+ minutes, glitches, way too many bugs for it to be released. Still buying it and playing it tho because I know its only going to get better."

I'm not seeing much problems and I've been in the closed beta since Oct or Nov of last year. I would say it is as ready as it needs to be. Yeah, there are still a few bugs popping up like most MMOs. Hell, no MMO is ever perfect even years after release. They are in a constant state of change.

I'm excited. Only worry for me is that they haven't finish fleshing out the higher level content. I pre-ordered and yes the CE gets 5 buddy keys and the regular game comes with 1.

If it is taking you 5+ minutes to load there is something else causing an issue. I haven't sit there and timed the load screens but after the first one which normal takes thirty seconds or less they can be very fast.

I would defrag, check your hard drive for space available, and reevaluated your system specs. I'm on Vista 64 which is a lot slower than XP due to the security features and it runs damned good with mostly high settings. Plus my video card isn't exactly cream of the crop, 8800 GTS 640.

As far as PvE, you can solo a character through the entire game from what I've read. I know I made it to level 36 (I think) as a Bear Shaman with only two groupings with a single player. Both times where less fun than going solo.

Wishing now I would have picked up a CE to e-Bay. Those things are all sold out.

Oh, if you are thinking about a new video card the prices are falling again. Go take a look...

http://www.pricewatch.com/video_cards/

May 6, 2008, 00:56
Re: beta key May 6, 2008, 00:56
May 6, 2008, 00:56

I'm also in closed beta, have been for months. I have no FPS issues what so ever accept in Tortage during prime time. Loading times from the OB were recently patched in to CB to see if they could find the problem. I haven't been in closed beta in a week or so, so I'm not sure how thats going.

Oh and if your loading times are 5+ minutes in closed beta, you need to upgrade from that 5200rpm IDE HD you bought in 1999.

May 6, 2008, 00:36
Re: beta key May 6, 2008, 00:36
May 6, 2008, 00:36

Im in closed beta and its just like open beta.. FPS issues, loading takes 5+ minutes, glitches, way too many bugs for it to be released. Still buying it and playing it tho because I know its only going to get better.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older