H.A.W.X Announcement, Trailer

This press release officially announces H.A.W.X, the aerial combat game first revealed last night (story), though the Tom Clancy Air Combat "brand" was revealed last year (story). The first trailer is now available for this aerial combat game that will carry the Tom Clancy name along with the title HAWX, H.A.W.X., or H.A.W.X (we've seen all three already, Ubisoft's H.A.W.X Product Section seems to prefer the last one). The clip can be found on that new Product Section and it is mirrored on ActionTrip, ComputerGames.Ro, FileFront, Gamer's Hell, and MyGameTrailers. Here's a portion of the announcement:
London, UNITED KINGDOM – – Today Ubisoft, one of the world’s largest video game publishers, announces the development of Tom Clancy’s HAWX (high-altitude warfare), an awe-inspiring game that is primed to revolutionize the way players think about combat in the sky. Scheduled for release in Fall 2008, Tom Clancy’s HAWX turns consumers into elite pilots of the future. The game will appear on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and on Windows-based PC.

“Tom Clancy’s HAWX marks the next evolution of high altitude warfare in the Tom Clancy video game universe,” said John Parkes, EMEA Marketing Director at Ubisoft. “We are thrilled to take to the skies and provide a new environment along with an extension of a familiar storyline from our other successful Tom Clancy franchises such as Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter.”

Developed by Ubisoft’s Bucharest studio, Tom Clancy’s HAWX delivers an intense and authentic aerial combat experience by fully leveraging the benefits of the next-generation platform. The story begins in the year 2012. As the era of the nation-state draws quickly to a close, the rules of warfare evolve even more rapidly. More and more nations become increasingly dependent on private military companies (PMCs), elite mercenaries with a lax view of the law. The Reykjavik Accords further legitimize their existence by authorizing their right to serve in every aspect of military operations. While the benefits of such PMCs are apparent, growing concerns surrounding giving them too much power begin to mount.

Tom Clancy’s HAWX is the first air combat game set in the world-renowned Tom Clancy’s video game universe. Cutting-edge technology, devastating firepower, and intense dogfights bestow this new title a deserving place in the prestigious Tom Clancy franchise. Soon, flying at Mach 3 becomes a right, not a privilege.
View : : :
93 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

No subject
Apr 8, 2008, 15:35
No subject Apr 8, 2008, 15:35
Apr 8, 2008, 15:35

Hmm I missed out on this epic thread because I never pay attention to that "Popular Threads" panel in the upper right.

Derek's a good debater and great poster when he's not personally attacking people who differ from his views. Sort of like Riley as long as Steam isn't mentioned.

Re: No subject
Apr 6, 2008, 22:10
Re: No subject Apr 6, 2008, 22:10
Apr 6, 2008, 22:10

I'm looking forward to playing this... how cool to be able to finally show that most of the 5th generation aircraft are just pipe dreams (and massive money pits)... if you want performance vs reliability.. stick with the Super Hornet!

p.s. its a game for a game console guys.. if you want to pick on something, how about the so-called experts above giving programmers a drubbing when they probably have never flown OR programmed a game...

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 22:18.

Apr 5, 2008, 13:14
Prez

Re: No subject Apr 5, 2008, 13:14
Apr 5, 2008, 13:14
 Prez

I'm not saying anyone is wrong - I just wanted to say my piece. Anyway, I'm done playing peacemaker.

We cool?
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 5, 2008, 12:23
Re: No subject Apr 5, 2008, 12:23
Apr 5, 2008, 12:23

And honestly, Dagok, those seem more like good-natured jabs than actual insults, but that's just me.

Batman was messing around with his post that dsmart took offense to. Where does the line get drawn? It's a two way street.

We all give each other shit around here and none of us go running to Blue unless it's over the top religious or racial comments (ie: Zeph).

----------------------------------------------------
Burnout Paradise, Bioshock, Ratchet & Clank ToD

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

Apr 5, 2008, 03:39
Prez

Re: No subject Apr 5, 2008, 03:39
Apr 5, 2008, 03:39
 Prez

Well, I'm no Derek Smart apologist - back when I frequented the 3000AD boards, I disagreed with him on a ton of things, from the war in Iraq to the usefulness of the FPS portion of Universal Combat. The only time I was ever temp-banned was when I violated the forum rules by verbally slagging another member.
I like having developers frequent these boards (even outspoken controversial ones), and I wouldn't want to see any of them run off.

And honestly, Dagok, those seem more like good-natured jabs than actual insults, but that's just me.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

No subject
Apr 5, 2008, 02:11
No subject Apr 5, 2008, 02:11
Apr 5, 2008, 02:11

the problem with derek is he does not know how to engage others who have a different opinion than him. he throws out insults in between what he calls facts and opinion but i have come to think that it is just his nature. he doesnt see it as an insult if he is the one doing it to others. but if anyone takes him to task he cannot take it and throws a tantrum claiming to be harassed. with that in mind it is pointless to even argue anything with the guy.

Apr 4, 2008, 17:13
Re: No subject Apr 4, 2008, 17:13
Apr 4, 2008, 17:13

If you think Derek was being an ass in another thread, then you should have said something in that thread.

Actually the post I referred to, I did say something to him at the time. And no not all of his comments in this thread have been insightful and on topic.

Seriously? Son, you must be drinking. Again. While operating a keyboard.

But then again, I'm 45 and you're probably pushing 16. So what do I know, right?

I did not insult him prior to him insulting me. Do you see me whining about getting him banned for a personal attack? No. Hell I didn't even insult him in return until he made this boneheaded post today.

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/
This comment was edited on Apr 4, 17:19.

Apr 4, 2008, 16:50
Prez

Re: No subject Apr 4, 2008, 16:50
Apr 4, 2008, 16:50
 Prez

Why does this continue? If you think Derek was being an ass in another thread, then you should have said something in that thread. In this thread, he has only added well thought-out comments and great insight to the topic. To dredge up stuff from other topics is low class.

No one is going to get banned, but that doesn't mean you should have free reign to bash someone who is actively contributing to the thread.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 4, 2008, 15:22
Re: No subject Apr 4, 2008, 15:22
Apr 4, 2008, 15:22

First of all, I've never seen Blue ban anyone for swearing, or insulting someone else. Blue doesn't tolerate racial insults, but he doesn't even ban those people, he deletes their posts.

So for you to claim that he has warned nin and Batman about being banned, and you are somehow privy to that info is really laughable. This is not your forum, stop acting like it is.

I don't think anyone here would really miss you if you stopped posting, aside for the unintentional comedic factor your posts bring.

Edit: I've seen the post you are probably alluding to. He doesn't warn nin & Batman about banning them. He questions nin's logic on suggesting you be banned when Devo (not nin & batman) was attacking you. Which makes sense, but doesn't mean he warned them about being banned.

Furthermore, it would only take a few minutes to pull a few samples of posts where you have blatantly attacked other people unprovoked. One comes to mind, 4 to 6 weeks ago, you ripped into and insulted someone for their opinions they had posted (that were not directed towards you at all). So as far as I'm concerned you've earned the animosity that comes your way.

This comment was edited on Apr 4, 15:50.

No subject
Apr 4, 2008, 15:13
No subject Apr 4, 2008, 15:13
Apr 4, 2008, 15:13

nm - too easy. You have a great b-day.

Playing: Two Worlds(PC), Dead Rising, Gears of War, Rb6 Vegas 1, Lego SW Saga.

Apr 4, 2008, 15:04
Re: No subject Apr 4, 2008, 15:04
Apr 4, 2008, 15:04

LOL are you fucking serious? You have the nerve to make a statement like that after the years of bullshit personal attacks you've made on this and other forums?

It's extremely rare for Blue to bring out the ban stick, and it has to be pretty severe for him to do so. Batman ACCURATELY calling you a dickhead isn't going to get him or anyone else banned.

First of all, I'm not going to sink to your level. Between you, him and nin (the other one who Blue has clearly warned about this behavior), you're all turning this place into versions of the PA and SA forums.

I for one, like every other dev, will just stop posting in the news threads. Simple really. Thats why other forums don't tolerate this behavior. The choice I made to not engage you anti-social misfits, is just that: a choice. I don't have to post here. That, also, is a choice that I get to make.

This comment was edited on Apr 4, 15:05.
Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

No subject
Apr 4, 2008, 14:46
nin

No subject Apr 4, 2008, 14:46
Apr 4, 2008, 14:46
 nin

New mottos for the board:

• Blue's News: Do ya feel lucky, punk?

• Blue's News: It's no fun until someone loses an eye.

• Blue's News: Yes, we're like this all the time.

------------------------------------------------
http://ghosts.nin.com/

No subject
Apr 4, 2008, 14:37
No subject Apr 4, 2008, 14:37
Apr 4, 2008, 14:37

Well, you would think being on vacation and his b-day an all, he would have SOMETHING BETTER TO DO THAN BE HERE ACTING LIKE A BABY.

oh well.

Problem is smart, NO ONE WILL EVER EVER EVER TAKE YOU SERIOUSLY.

You have paved your path long ago. Your born again shit just isn't going to fly here.

Apr 4, 2008, 14:29
Re: No subject Apr 4, 2008, 14:29
Apr 4, 2008, 14:29

Which of course is harrassment and something that Blue has already clearly indicated is not welcome here. My guess is that if he does it again, he'll get banned.

LOL are you fucking serious? You have the nerve to make a statement like that after the years of bullshit personal attacks you've made on this and other forums?

It's extremely rare for Blue to bring out the ban stick, and it has to be pretty severe for him to do so. Batman ACCURATELY calling you a dickhead isn't going to get him or anyone else banned.

Apr 4, 2008, 14:22
Re: No subject Apr 4, 2008, 14:22
Apr 4, 2008, 14:22

aww... how sweet.

Just do what everyone else does. Ignore him. All he's been doing is dogging me in every thread and making personal attacks. Which of course is harrassment and something that Blue has already clearly indicated is not welcome here. My guess is that if he does it again, he'll get banned.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

Apr 4, 2008, 11:23
Re: No subject Apr 4, 2008, 11:23
Apr 4, 2008, 11:23

Hay - if I didn't care - I wouldn't have said anything.

aww... how sweet.

No subject
Apr 4, 2008, 11:14
No subject Apr 4, 2008, 11:14
Apr 4, 2008, 11:14

Hay - if I didn't care - I wouldn't have said anything.

Re: Why flight sims aren't fun
Apr 4, 2008, 11:12
Re: Why flight sims aren't fun Apr 4, 2008, 11:12
Apr 4, 2008, 11:12

When you are selling a low number of units, you can't afford to lose any of those units to piracy.

I have to disagree with you there. Pirated copy != lost sale. As you said, mainstream games with lots of hype and marketing get pirated a lot more than niche games. Most people who pirate niche games likely wouldn't have bought them in the first place because the enthusiasts who actually enjoy these games are going to support the few developers still making them. If someone buys a pirated game, it's probably because they can't afford to buy the legal retail version so it's not really a lost sale.

Also, the increased system requirements has not staved off piracy because they too have evolved to the point of just doing it for the heck of it.

Exactly. They pirate because they can. That doesn't translate to lost sales because the vast majority of things they pirated wouldn't have been bought otherwise.

So no, I don't think piracy killed the niche market. I think the "niche" killed the niche market. Business is all about making the most money you can and the only way to do this is to cater to the lowest common denominator. Ultimately, greed killed the niche market.

Re: Why flight sims aren't fun
Apr 4, 2008, 10:47
Re: Why flight sims aren't fun Apr 4, 2008, 10:47
Apr 4, 2008, 10:47

You claim it's because flight sims are inherently boring. Other people claim that it's because of the steep learning curves. I'm inclined to believe that it's simply because its a niche genre which lacks the elements that the masses want; big guns, identifiable characters, dramatic stories, etc. Mainstream audiences want experiences they can associate with and flight sims are simply too impersonal.

Yes I think they are inherently boring to most people, and I think to deny that is kinda naive. I never said it was the only reason, as there are certainly other reasons, including the ones you mentioned. It's not going to be any one factor that is the reason for the decline of this or any other genre.

Apr 4, 2008, 10:41
Re: No subject Apr 4, 2008, 10:41
Apr 4, 2008, 10:41

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
93 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older