Epic on Steam

Steam News has word that Valve's online delivery service is now offering a selection of titles from Epic Games. Selections include Unreal Gold, Unreal 2: The Awakening, Unreal Tournament: Game of the Year Edition, Unreal Tournament 2004: Editor's Choice Edition, and Unreal Tournament 3. They are also offering all five in a bundle called the Unreal Deal Pack, described as the ultimate Unreal experience. Word is: "To celebrate the launch, all of Epic’s games on Steam are available for 10% off their regular price (offer ends March 24)."
View : : :
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: ...
Mar 19, 2008, 08:12
>U
Re: ... Mar 19, 2008, 08:12
Mar 19, 2008, 08:12
>U

FPS' sell better in the US than RPG's.
Not on the PC platform they don't. Sure there are occasional exceptions like COD 4, but overall FPS games don't dominate PC game sales and haven't for years. In contrast a more complex, traditional RPG like the Witcher can still sell well on the PC because U.S. consumers don't prefer to play that type of game on a console.

Especially in the US, FPS'are THE staple in gaming. Thus, Quake, unreal and Halo.

Both the latest Unreal (UT3) and Quake (Quake 4) games underperformed on the PC. In contrast the Halo series for the XBOX consoles has sold over 20 million copies.

Bullshit...the pc is FPS gaming due to mouse/keyboard control.

The PC may have a superior control scheme, but FPS games for consoles still outsell them by a wide margin. Simply look at FPS games which were released for both the PC and consoles. Bioshock for the XBOX 360 outsold the PC version around five to one. For COD 4 the ratio is even higher since it also has a PS3 version. And, as I mentioned below the sales of the PS3 version of UT3 are much higher than those of the PC version. And, it's not just the cross-platform FPS games that don't sell as well on the PC. PC exclusive FPS games like Crysis and Stalker didn't top the PC sales charts either.

The pc has more shopoters and sells more shooters than any console.
Has more? That is most likely true especially if you count all past releases since PC shooters have been sold for a longer period. But, selling more for the past several years? Absolutely not.

"Just because UT3's sales aren't at that level doesn't mean that its sales are poor."

Actually, it means exactly that
No, moron, of course it does NOT mean that. Just because UT3's sales don't match those of COD 4 doesn't mean that its sales are poor. If that were the case, then every game's sales aside from COD 4's would also be poor. UT3 has shipped over a million units. That's not stellar, but it's not poor either.

...insanely stupid statement.
No, it isn't, and if you actually knew how to recognize a stupid statement, you wouldn't be looking at my post. You'd be looking at your own since it is full of them.

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 16:03.

Re: No subject
Mar 19, 2008, 06:00
Re: No subject Mar 19, 2008, 06:00
Mar 19, 2008, 06:00

And, in case anyone else wants to know, apparently no Epic titles are availabe in Germany. As usual.

Mar 19, 2008, 01:32
Re: ... Mar 19, 2008, 01:32
Mar 19, 2008, 01:32

Are you insane or just dumb?

"The Witcher is a very different type of game than UT3"

Correct...

"which is why its PC sales in the U.S. are higher."

...insanely stupid statement. FPS' sell better in the US than RPG's. Especially in the US, FPS'are THE staple in gaming. Thus, Quake, unreal and Halo.
BTW, WoW doesn't enter that equation, because it's subscription based, an MMO (NOT an rpg) and has been going (and thus selling) for years.

"U.S. consumers prefer consoles for their FPS games judging by overall retail sales figures for such games"

Bullshit...the pc is FPS gaming due to mouse/keyboard control. The pc has more shopoters and sells more shooters than any console. Add up the numbers of all fps's sold (meaning all units of all fps games) per platform over the life of the shortest living platform, and you'll see that).

"Just because UT3's sales aren't at that level doesn't mean that its sales are poor."

Actually, it means exactly that

Mar 18, 2008, 14:28
Re: No subject Mar 18, 2008, 14:28
Mar 18, 2008, 14:28

boob physics.

They could make that into a standalone game and it would sell gajillions of copies.

I thought it was already out and called, Dead or Alive - Xtreme Beach Volleyball

----------------------------------------------------
Burnout Paradise, Bioshock, Ratchet & Clank ToD

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

No subject
Mar 18, 2008, 06:35
No subject Mar 18, 2008, 06:35
Mar 18, 2008, 06:35

boob physics.

They could make that into a standalone game and it would sell gajillions of copies.

Re: XMP
Mar 18, 2008, 04:02
Re: XMP Mar 18, 2008, 04:02
Mar 18, 2008, 04:02

I'm not sure why so many heaped scorn on Unreal 2. No, it wasn't the epic (no pun intended) game that people expected but it was still a very solid shooter.
When the best level of the game is one with spiders, you know there's problems.

The game was a generic trudge-em-up with a few nice ideas that were revamped into XMP and an ending that was so bad, it would only be out done by Pariah.

Mar 17, 2008, 22:16
Re: No subject Mar 17, 2008, 22:16
Mar 17, 2008, 22:16

I'd only buy this if they included the Jill of the Jungle series.

Hell, Epic needs to remake that series. With parallax occlusion mapping. And boob physics.

Re: Sweeneied
Mar 17, 2008, 21:31
>U
Re: Sweeneied Mar 17, 2008, 21:31
Mar 17, 2008, 21:31
>U

(duplicate post)
This comment was edited on Mar 19, 00:24.

Mar 17, 2008, 21:23
>U
Re: No subject Mar 17, 2008, 21:23
Mar 17, 2008, 21:23
>U

Units shipped equals units sold!
First, yes, those shipped units are sales since they have been purchased by distributors and retailers. Second, yes, those units will eventually be sold to consumers because even if they have to be sold at a deep discount, it is more economically feasible for the retailers to do so than to ship them back to Midway since the reimbursement for returns is less. That is why most previously unsold games end up being deeply discounted or placed in bargain bins rather than returned. So, those shipped units will eventually be sales to consumers even if not at the suggested retail price.

Awesome economics lesson, who was your mentor?
It's too bad you didn't have such a mentor, or you wouldn't have made such a foolish comment.

This comment was edited on Mar 17, 21:30.

Mar 17, 2008, 21:16
>U
Re: ... Mar 17, 2008, 21:16
>U

It's not a subscription.
No, it IS a subscription, and Valve says so explicitly in the Steam Subscriber Agreement at http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=subscriber_agreement

Nothing is received in installments,and there are no ongoing costs
Yes, users currently pay a fixed rate upfront to play each game on Steam. But, the current lack of ongoing payment doesn't make Steam any less of a subscription service. What makes it a subscription service is because Valve says that it is and treats it as such (per that agreement and its other policies which are enforced with "zero tolerance"). Valve and Steam's developers and publishers ultimately determine if, when, and the manner in which Steam's users are able to play the games for which they have subscribed. That is what makes Steam a subscription service. Users pay but can only play so long as Valve et al say.

It comes from a successful franchise and was released also on console.
So what? Yes, UT3's U.S. sales for the PC have underperformed compared to some past Unreal titles for the PC, but that doesn't make its overall sales poor. More consumers in the U.S. play such video games on consoles now so the PS3 version of UT3 is cannibalizing the PC version's sales.

The Witcher, on the otherhand,
The Witcher is a very different type of game than UT3 which is why its PC sales in the U.S. are higher. U.S. consumers prefer consoles for their FPS games judging by overall retail sales figures for such games.

Not only that but COD4 managed 1.6m sales in the first month alone.
That figure must be for all platforms because the PC figures I have seen are far less. The overwhelming majority of COD 4's sales have been for the XBOX 360. In addition, COD4 has been the best selling game on average for the PC in the months since its release. Just because UT3's sales aren't at that level doesn't mean that its sales are poor.

This comment was edited on Mar 17, 22:10.

No subject
No subject Mar 17, 2008, 21:16

I'd only buy this if they included the Jill of the Jungle series.

Sweeneied
Mar 17, 2008, 20:59
Kxmode

Sweeneied Mar 17, 2008, 20:59
Mar 17, 2008, 20:59
 Kxmode

Hey Tim. I thought you said you didn't think PC was a good gaming platform! Yes you said that? Man this guy has more waffles than a Pancake Circus!

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Mar 17, 2008, 20:52
PHJF

Re: No subject Mar 17, 2008, 20:52
Mar 17, 2008, 20:52
 PHJF

UT3 has not sold poorly worldwide. Midway recently announced that UT3 for the PC & PS3 has shipped over one million units combined.

Awesome economics lesson, who was your mentor? Units shipped equals units sold! Why didn't I think of that!?
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Mar 17, 2008, 20:24
Re: No subject Mar 17, 2008, 20:24
Mar 17, 2008, 20:24

Let me guess like every other release on Steam lately - not available in Australia.

Actually as far as I can tell, they are! (at least I can see them in my browser, which is something I usually can't do for games that aren't available) If so, way to go Epic for not forgetting about us and screwing us over with the prices.

Mar 17, 2008, 20:19
... Mar 17, 2008, 20:19
Mar 17, 2008, 20:19

And, unlike the Steam versions, the retail ones are real, unencumbered copies of the games not a subscription service like Steam.
It's not a subscription. Nothing is received in installments and there are no ongoing costs, though I'm sure you already knew that. Nice to see you trolling Valve topics again - you'd been slacking recently.

UT3 has not sold poorly worldwide. Midway recently announced that UT3 for the PC & PS3 has shipped over one million units combined.
It comes from a successful franchise and was released also on console. The Witcher, on the otherhand, was from a new developer, from a little known brand and sold over 600,000 (that was announced last month so much more by now) and was PC exclusive. Not only that but COD4 managed 1.6m sales in the first month alone. Personally I prefer Team Fortress 2 but UT3 is still a very good game.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Mar 17, 2008, 19:41
Re: ... Mar 17, 2008, 19:41
Mar 17, 2008, 19:41

I'm not sure why so many heaped scorn on Unreal 2. No, it wasn't the epic (no pun intended) game that people expected but it was still a very solid shooter.

Remember the first unreal - the menu screen with the camera doing a flyby on a castle. From that very first moment it was special. Unreal 2 was just a very generic mission based that couldn't wow as much as the loading screen in unreal 1 did.

Mar 17, 2008, 19:18
>U
Re: ... Mar 17, 2008, 19:18
Mar 17, 2008, 19:18
>U

I'm still tempted though - I had great times with the previous games
If you already have UT3, you can pickup the Unreal Anthology retail SKU which contains the rest of the games in the bundle for $15 or less if you shop around. Paying over $50 for the Steam bundle is a waste.

Also, $54 is hell of a value considering it includes a recent game like UT3.
It's not a great value when you realize that the retail version of UT3 is selling for $30 and the Unreal Anthology for $15 if you shop around. And, unlike the Steam versions, the retail ones are real, unencumbered copies of the games not a subscription service like Steam. Unlike Steam there is no additional copy-protection/DRM in the retail versions aside for a CD key for UT3 and UT2004. Plus the retail Unreal Anthology comes with an extra soundtrack audio CD which the Steam bundle can't include. In comparison Valve charges $10 extra for its Orange Box soundtrack.

being able to jump back to them at anytime is certainly appealing.
The entire download size of that bundle on Steam has to be at least 15GB if those are the full contents of those games. So, downloading all of that from Steam will take many hours or even days depending upon your Internet speed and Steam's congestion or availability.

it's just a shame UT3 has sold so poorly considering how good a game it is.
UT3 has not sold poorly worldwide. Midway recently announced that UT3 for the PC & PS3 has shipped over one million units combined. So, while UT3 is not a best seller, it certainly is not a poor one either.

This comment was edited on Mar 17, 19:58.

UT3 awards
Mar 17, 2008, 18:36
UT3 awards Mar 17, 2008, 18:36
Mar 17, 2008, 18:36

That comment about UT3 winning the BLEH and MEH awards was right on!
"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

No subject
Mar 17, 2008, 18:33
No subject Mar 17, 2008, 18:33
Mar 17, 2008, 18:33

..."Steam became self aware on October 12th 2009"....

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying

Re: XMP
Mar 17, 2008, 18:09
Re: XMP Mar 17, 2008, 18:09
Mar 17, 2008, 18:09

supposedly Epic was supposed to include some XMP-like assets like deployable turrets and energy fences but, like everything else they overhype, it never made it to the final gold master.

If they had any brains left they would've implemented XMP as an alternate gametype rather than just using Warfare which turned out to be rehash of the gametype from 2k4. XMP was/is fresh, fun with just enough of a learning curve to keep it interesting.

Unreal 2 which always sucked like the bastard child of a Taiwanese hooker and a Dyson.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.
This comment was edited on Mar 17, 18:11.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older