Frontlines for Call of Duty 4

Version 1.0 of the Frontlines Mod for Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is now available (thanks Ant). Word is: "Frontlines will bring 3 brand new gametypes to Call of Duty 4, plus a smart spawn protection to avoid the spawn killing that is happening in all COD4 servers around the world. Also will come with a revolutionary feature called War Server, which will transform a single server in a full War, with many different battles and a final objective to complete. This War can be completely configured and depending of the size setted [sic] could finish in one day or take years to reach the end."
View : : :
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: COD4 Gaming
Mar 7, 2008, 22:05
Re: COD4 Gaming Mar 7, 2008, 22:05
Mar 7, 2008, 22:05

*nods in agreement with Zeph*

I think the crummy map design is in due in part to the "make sure casual gamers can play and know what's going on" approach to the game. If you have enemies shooting from very high elevations, people with poor situational awareness will be constantly getting picked off by "invisible" foes.

Same goes with big maps. Small maps are easier to comprehend for people, I suppose.

For me, COD4's multiplayer was fun but the maps were terrible. And without vehicles for me to hop into, I didn't see what made the game better than Battlefield 2, 2142, or Frontlines Fuel of War. I think people must be really enjoying the level up system in COD4..
Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

Mar 7, 2008, 21:36
Re: COD4 Gaming Mar 7, 2008, 21:36
Mar 7, 2008, 21:36

Zeph, while I don't agree about it being lame, the hacks are way out of hand. Had I to do it all over again I would've picked up the 360 version without a second thought.

Forget about Piracy killing PC gaming, hacking little punks are doing a pretty commendable job themselves.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Ok guys
Mar 7, 2008, 18:35
Ok guys Mar 7, 2008, 18:35
Mar 7, 2008, 18:35

I'll continue to keep trying. Of course it's going to be frustrating right now, I only have about 2 1/2 hours under my belt and only 2 servers with that.

A lot of different maps though. Seems like it was changing so fast. But I was already starting to understand some of the mechanics and opened up a new sniper class, but decided that I liked that Bar-type heavy more with these tiny maps. Still learning what suits me.

I played domination a few times and liked it. I'll start with playing everything, but likely gravitate toward a few types that I like. Graphically, it's very nice. Sound, it's on par or better. Speed and feel are good. So it's got what it takes to be a good game, I just need to find a map that lasts for more than 5 minutes (or sometimes even 2 minutes it seems) and some better maps and I'll probably be pretty happy with it.

No subject
Mar 7, 2008, 13:13
No subject Mar 7, 2008, 13:13
Mar 7, 2008, 13:13

1. Find a server that suits your game play. I found 4-5 hardcore mix servers I play so each game type is played, yet Domination is the most prevalent.
2. There are maps that use elevation, although not always obvious
3. Yes, there are small maps, but not all servers run those maps, see rule #1
4. Airstrike and Helo? I don't see anything wrong with it, you can hear the airstrike coming and take cover, unless you are in the wide open. Helo? an easily be shot down before it kills anyone as long as your team works together.
5. I see very few sub lvl 55 players on the servers I play, and now finding some servers with custom maps. They will continue to get bigger with time, remember, they had to cater to the console kiddies. With everyone as 55, there is no need for 'ranked' servers.
6. Yes, cheating is there, but again, refer to rule #1, I don't have a problem with it on the servers I play.

Glad you got it Zeph, hope you come around eventually and really like it. Took me a while, but I had played previous CoD games and knew there was a curve to the game play. Having put thousands of hours in DoD and DoD S, it is a lot different.

I can't even play DoD S anymore, feels like a kiddie game.

Alls I have in this world is my balls, and my word - and I don't break 'em for no one.

Mar 7, 2008, 09:15
Re: COD4 Gaming Mar 7, 2008, 09:15
Mar 7, 2008, 09:15

Myself, I love the game. Zeph, you initially will have it harder than others (who've been playing far longer than you) at first because you do not have the array of upgrades in weapons and skills others have accumulated. This will come in time, the more matches you play.

However, I understand what you are talking about. Some maps are way too small for the number of players that come into a game. There really should be a size limitation, or at least a recommended player limit listed per map otherwise it becomes ridiculously unreal.

One other thing that really, really, really, REALLY has to change is the Airstrikes and the Helicopter raids. It can stay in the game, but it just has to change.

I think if you get 7 kills in a row you get an airstrike and if you get 8-9 you get a Helicopter to come in and mess with the enemy. Don't hate me if I'm wrong with those numbers, I'm trying to prove a point. The problem is with the 'rollover' effects on maps with many players in the game. A guy that gets lucky enough to get a good airstrike in will be able to quickly get a second, third, forth, fifth airstrike or helicopter because his kills all count towards another. That totally sucks on a smallish map with the max number of players on it.

The devs should change it so that during your airstrike or helicopter, all kills that happen during this raid do NOT count towards another airstrike or helicopter. Also, there should be a 'cool down' time between your previous strike and the next one, say 30-60 seconds. Only after that time period is over should you be able to accumulate kills for another strike.

I hate coming into a match only to be decimated from the skies every 4 seconds. It's even nastier when the idiot server admin sets the respawn time to 1 second.

COD4 Gaming
Mar 7, 2008, 07:23
COD4 Gaming Mar 7, 2008, 07:23
Mar 7, 2008, 07:23

Well, I finally caved in and purchased the game. Everytime I saw a Call of Dooty 4 thread here, people kept raving about it; especially the multi-player.

I'm trying to give it a chance, but so far it's the lamest FPS game I've played in over ten years. Some maps are over in less than 5 minutes. Spawn killers are everywhere. There's almost ZERO use of elevation, when even old games based on Half-life (original Day of Defeat) made excellent use of elevation. Hackers are abundant, and the camera-replay kinda of shows the wall-hackers just pointing and sometimes even firing before you're even visible to them. The maps are TINY TINY TINY, this is certainly not Red Orchestra. Actual team-play and team-strategy is less in this war game than it is even on a cartoony TF2 game.

I'm trying to give this game a chance, but so far it just plain sucks!

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older