4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Greenhouse shite
Mar 7, 2008, 08:48
Enahs

Re: Greenhouse shite Mar 7, 2008, 08:48
Mar 7, 2008, 08:48
 Enahs

Everybody against global warming are not hacks, not by any means. You talk about how they are just hacks for big business; completely ignoring multi billion dollar a year industry that is pro global warming (I am only talking about the people doing absolutely nothing to help there supposed cause). Yet, some how those big businesses are ok by you.

The concept behind global warming is fine. But the scientific method approached when studying global warming has been bad science, simply put. Some of the people speaking out against global warming have been some of the most renowned scientists in their fields.

Mean while, all of our plastics, polymers, pesticides and fertilizers; fossil fuels are critical in the production. We can not support the current food production required for our population without those fossil fuels.

Aside from global warming, there are numerous other problems pollution from fossil fuel usage cause.

So why do you not here about this? Nobody has currently found a way to turn it into a billion dollar industry producing nothing.

We (the US and Canada) could cut our energy consumption by a 3rd in 4 years time with proper knowledge (there are so many things people do to waste energy, and a small change will fix it without impacting their lives or luxuries in any way), improved energy efficient products (new better insulation, more efficient appliances, etc etc). Cars are starting to get more efficient, but they are crazy expensive.

After reducing our power usage by a 3rd, with solar, tidal wave, wind and geo-thermal energy we could cut our usage of fossil fuels in half (those methods are by no means a solution, but a great start) given another 4 years.

And those types of power plants, big business want to if they give it some thought. They produce a product with little cost in upkeep and employees. The profit margin on those can be hugely greater.

So, tell me, why is there billions of dollars a year being made off of pro-global warming, yet maybe 5% (being generous) of that is going into those ideas to fix the "problem"?

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

This comment was edited on Mar 7, 08:49.
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Re: Greenhouse shite
Mar 7, 2008, 05:06
Re: Greenhouse shite Mar 7, 2008, 05:06
Mar 7, 2008, 05:06

Re: Yesterdays global warming blah, blah, blah. No climatologist worth his salt has EVER said there aren't natural periods of global warming and cooling. Just that we as a species are exacerbating and expediting the current warming trend in a way that's going to fuck us all in the collective ass unless we slow it down. Which we can do with a little effort and political will. Again, even if the tree-huggers are dead wrong, the worst that happens is we have a nicer planet to live on. If they're right, then your kids and grandkids are fucking screwed. Why not stop being so fucking selfish and hedge our bets to come down on the up side of the equation?

The minority of voices that come down on the 'global warming is bunk' side of the argument have been proven repeatedly to be industry hacks prostituting themselves for a fast buck from the 'Everything is ok! No need to look at the man behind the curtain.' crowd. Corporations don't exist to make your or anyone elses life any better. they exist to make money. And most are run by qualified pyscho/sociopaths. You don't get to the top by being a nice guy.

And if you think companies like Exxon, et al. who are making absurd profits at the expense of everyone and the environment really have your best interests at heart than I'd like to tell you I own a bridge in Brooklyn I'd love to sell you.

"You know, the best part of the best drug in the world isn't the high. It's the moment just before you take it. The dice are dancing on the table. Between now and the time they stop, that's the greatest high in the world."
- Walter Abrams
This comment was edited on Mar 7, 05:08.

Re: ring around Saturn moon study
Mar 7, 2008, 04:50
Re: ring around Saturn moon study Mar 7, 2008, 04:50
Mar 7, 2008, 04:50

I thought the ring was around Uranus. Ha-hah!

"You know, the best part of the best drug in the world isn't the high. It's the moment just before you take it. The dice are dancing on the table. Between now and the time they stop, that's the greatest high in the world."
- Walter Abrams

ring around Saturn moon study
Mar 6, 2008, 22:11
Jim
ring around Saturn moon study Mar 6, 2008, 22:11
Mar 6, 2008, 22:11
Jim

And here I thought it was going to mention Iapetus, as I think that would best explain its equatorial ridge.

The weather finally cooperated for us to get out to the observatory last night and have a look at Saturn. Seeing was pretty good so we cranked up the power on the old Clark.

Jim
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older