Co-op Renaissance

Cooperative games get casual players involved on the San Francisco Chronicle discusses the impact cooperative multiplayer support can have upon the success of a game, suggesting even the mainstream press appreciates a point that sometimes seems lost on actual game developers. This may be changing as the article highlights what they feel is a trend in the right direction in this regard, citing Rock Band, Gears of War, Rainbow Six Vegas, and Army of Two as recent examples of games with strong co-op support, and titles such as Resistance 2, Fable 2, and Haze as upcoming releases with co-op support.
View : : :
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Co-op hindered by move to online pla
Mar 7, 2008, 11:05
Re: Co-op hindered by move to online pla Mar 7, 2008, 11:05
Mar 7, 2008, 11:05

Even today, I think co-op is hindered because video gaming is, for most people, a pick-up-and-play ordeal. They don't call their friends up and say "Hey, let's meet up online and play." They just play with random strangers.

I disagree.

Guilds, clans, friends, etc., all do this.

Alls I have in this world is my balls, and my word - and I don't break 'em for no one.

Co-op hindered by move to online play?
Mar 6, 2008, 21:31
Co-op hindered by move to online play? Mar 6, 2008, 21:31
Mar 6, 2008, 21:31

I dunno how valid this is now that everyone has broadband, but I remember back in the day that co-op was difficult to pull off because of internet lag. When 2-4 people are in the same room on the same console, there's no lag, even if there are 100 enemies battling it out with your party of friends.

But take all that data online, spread the players across the country or world.. and it's another issue, perhaps. Or it may have been a while ago. World of Warcraft and other MMOs can get away with "massively multiplayer" stuff more easily, I'd imagine, due to the semi-turn based nature of the game.

Even today, I think co-op is hindered because video gaming is, for most people, a pick-up-and-play ordeal. They don't call their friends up and say "Hey, let's meet up online and play." They just play with random strangers. And strangers usually don't make good co-op buddies. They'd rather just frag each other or work as a team against another team, but not really slog through a big campaign with just the two of them.

Anyway, I think a big thing co-op games need to do is to emulate the "watching movies or TV with friends" experience. People do these things and discuss the story together. But for most games, people play together as they would a sport.. and not so much as they would a movie. To really expand things, we need the movie-going experience too, I think. There needs to be more stuff that sparks real conversations between people, which movies can do. Well that's my two cents!
Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

Re: No subject
Mar 6, 2008, 16:33
Re: No subject Mar 6, 2008, 16:33
Mar 6, 2008, 16:33

The resistance of developers willing to add co op to games is pretty pathetic. TOO HARD

Funny.

Garage programmers usually figure it out.....

I have said it before, but some of the best times were playing Quake games in Co-op.....then executing the AQ2 files within the co-op. Awesome.

Alls I have in this world is my balls, and my word - and I don't break 'em for no one.

Re: No subject
Mar 6, 2008, 16:00
Re: No subject Mar 6, 2008, 16:00
Mar 6, 2008, 16:00

The resistance of developers willing to add co op to games is pretty pathetic. TOO HARD

No subject
Mar 6, 2008, 14:59
No subject Mar 6, 2008, 14:59
Mar 6, 2008, 14:59

A friend of mine (I know, shocking, I have A friend) and I always talk about this.

Circa 1994-1995 I said multiple times, "How come they don't release more co-op games, I just can't believe there aren't any people out there that want to play games co-op. So many of the current games would be a blast in co-op rather than DM"

We to this day, still punch ourselves in the nuts on not taking that anywhere.

No subject
Mar 6, 2008, 13:09
No subject Mar 6, 2008, 13:09
Mar 6, 2008, 13:09

I wish more developers would realize the value of cooperative play. Even if a huge turd of a game has cooperative support, I'm way more likely to get it no matter how bad the reviews are. Even if cooperative play is poorly implemented it's still implemented. My fondest memories of gaming are creeping down hallways with my friends in System Shock 2.
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older