Out of the Blue

Small explosion hits New York's Times Square is the news that met me when I hit the news desk this morning. The video they were showing on TV at the time offered a sight I have never seen in a lifetime living in the New York City area: the entirety of Times Square closed off to traffic, with not a single car in sight on Seventh Avenue or Broadway, normally one of the busiest intersections in the entire world. What a strange scene! Anyway, thankfully no one was hurt.

R.I.P.: Leonard Rosenman 1924-2008.

Deserted Links!: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Galactic Dodgeball.
Drunken Masters.
Link of the Morning: Slurm is coming!! (maybe). Thanks Dean.
Stories: Men who do housework may get more sex.
Cemetery full, mayor tells locals not to die.
Vegas clinic may have sickened thousands.
Media: Will Ferrell's The Landlord Criterion Edition w/commentary.
Bikini fashion show.
Sophie Would You Like Some Air? Terriers rule.
Follow-up: Buffett Ousts Gates as World's Richest Man.
View : : :
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Bruce Schneier on Terrorism:
Mar 7, 2008, 13:09
Bruce Schneier on Terrorism: Mar 7, 2008, 13:09
Mar 7, 2008, 13:09

The point of terrorism is to cause terror, sometimes to further a political goal and sometimes out of sheer hatred. The people terrorists kill are not the targets; they are collateral damage. And blowing up planes, trains, markets or buses is not the goal; those are just tactics. The real targets of terrorism are the rest of us: the billions of us who are not killed but are terrorized because of the killing. The real point of terrorism is not the act itself, but our reaction to the act.

And we're doing exactly what the terrorists want.

[...]

The surest defense against terrorism is to refuse to be terrorized. Our job is to recognize that terrorism is just one of the risks we face, and not a particularly common one at that. And our job is to fight those politicians who use fear as an excuse to take away our liberties and promote security theater that wastes money and doesn't make us any safer.

-- Security Consultant Bruce Schneier,
"What the Terrorists Want"
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Re: No subject
Mar 6, 2008, 21:02
Re: No subject Mar 6, 2008, 21:02
Mar 6, 2008, 21:02

It's fake terror, the timing of it (with Israel inflicting a holocaust on Palestinians RIGHT NOW) is just a little too convenient.

These fuckers have no qualms about killing thousands of US citizens just to start their war - and the media has no qualms about making the wholesale slaughter and ethnic cleansing by Israel appear 'just'.

Mar 6, 2008, 18:54
Re: No subject Mar 6, 2008, 18:54
Mar 6, 2008, 18:54

Look at MSG.. it was never actually a problem in food. But what basically amounts to rumor started all the "no MSG" stuff. It's still in all those foods, they just call it something else now.

I believe it's called "natural flavoring" today.

No subject
Mar 6, 2008, 18:53
No subject Mar 6, 2008, 18:53
Mar 6, 2008, 18:53

Look at MSG.. it was never actually a problem in food.

Depends on the person.

Yup, I can ALWAYS tell if it is in the food.
Isn't something like, "Wow, that is great, they had MSG" it is usually along the lines of, "Uh, I feel like shit".

Alls I have in this world is my balls, and my word - and I don't break 'em for no one.

Mar 6, 2008, 18:44
nin
Re: No subject Mar 6, 2008, 18:44
Mar 6, 2008, 18:44
nin

Look at MSG.. it was never actually a problem in food.

Depends on the person.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamic_acid_%28flavor%29#Health_concerns

A 1995 FDA-commissioned report acknowledged that "An unknown percentage of the population may react to monosodium glutamate and develop monosodium glutamate symptom complex, a condition characterized by one or more of the following symptoms:

* Burning sensation in the back of the neck, forearms and chest
* Numbness in the back of the neck, radiating to the arms and back
* Tingling, warmth and weakness in the face, temples, upper back, neck and arms
* Facial pressure or tightness
* Chest pain
* Headache
* Nausea
* Rapid heartbeat
* Bronchospasm (difficulty breathing)
* Drowsiness
* Weakness
* Sweating."

This list of mostly very non-specific and common symptoms was compiled from anecdotal reports

------------------------------------------------
http://ghosts.nin.com/

Sophie
Mar 6, 2008, 17:21
Sophie Mar 6, 2008, 17:21
Mar 6, 2008, 17:21

we need to put some background Joker laughing sounds to that video and it'd be hilarious.

----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPqkCxV8SkI
I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

No subject
Mar 6, 2008, 16:56
No subject Mar 6, 2008, 16:56
Mar 6, 2008, 16:56

Look at MSG.. it was never actually a problem in food. But what basically amounts to rumor started all the "no MSG" stuff. It's still in all those foods, they just call it something else now.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

No subject
Mar 6, 2008, 16:17
No subject Mar 6, 2008, 16:17
Mar 6, 2008, 16:17

@Atomic -

Exactly.

Lets just put the DST thingie and the green thingie in the shitter where they belong and flush.

Alls I have in this world is my balls, and my word - and I don't break 'em for no one.

Re: Basic Greenhouse Equations Wrong?
Mar 6, 2008, 15:39
Re: Basic Greenhouse Equations Wrong? Mar 6, 2008, 15:39
Mar 6, 2008, 15:39

Great info, but facts like these won't change people's perception of "reality". The green movement is way too political now to reverse course, and it is starting to generate revenue, which will only further its continued existence.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

Mar 6, 2008, 15:06
Re: No subject Mar 6, 2008, 15:06
Mar 6, 2008, 15:06

Whoops my bad

Scince I've never gone to New York, for some reason I thought it was the intersection facing the Coca-Cola sign.

I iz sorry

Basic Greenhouse Equations Wrong?
Mar 6, 2008, 15:03
Basic Greenhouse Equations Wrong? Mar 6, 2008, 15:03

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=10973

New derivation of equations governing the greenhouse effect reveals "runaway warming" impossible

Miklós Zágoni isn't just a physicist and environmental researcher. He is also a global warming activist and Hungary's most outspoken supporter of the Kyoto Protocol. Or was.

That was until he learned the details of a new theory of the greenhouse effect, one that not only gave far more accurate climate predictions here on Earth, but Mars too. The theory was developed by another Hungarian scientist, Ferenc Miskolczi, an atmospheric physicist with 30 years of experience and a former researcher with NASA's Ames Research Center.

"Runaway greenhouse theories contradict energy balance equations," Miskolczi states. Just as the theory of relativity sets an upper limit on velocity, his theory sets an upper limit on the greenhouse effect, a limit which prevents it from warming the Earth more than a certain amount.

How did modern researchers make such a mistake? They relied upon equations derived over 80 years ago, equations which left off one term from the final solution.

Miskolczi's story reads like a book. Looking at a series of differential equations for the greenhouse effect, he noticed the solution -- originally done in 1922 by Arthur Milne, but still used by climate researchers today -- ignored boundary conditions by assuming an "infinitely thick" atmosphere. Similar assumptions are common when solving differential equations; they simplify the calculations and often result in a result that still very closely matches reality. But not always.

So Miskolczi re-derived the solution, this time using the proper boundary conditions for an atmosphere that is not infinite. His result included a new term, which acts as a negative feedback to counter the positive forcing. At low levels, the new term means a small difference ... but as greenhouse gases rise, the negative feedback predominates, forcing values back down.

His theory was eventually published in a peer-reviewed scientific journal in his home country of Hungary.

The conclusions are supported by research published in the Journal of Geophysical Research last year from Steven Schwartz of Brookhaven National Labs, who gave statistical evidence that the Earth's response to carbon dioxide was grossly overstated. It also helps to explain why current global climate models continually predict more warming than actually measured.

The equations also answer thorny problems raised by current theory, which doesn't explain why "runaway" greenhouse warming hasn't happened in the Earth's past. The new theory predicts that greenhouse gas increases should result in small, but very rapid temperature spikes, followed by much longer, slower periods of cooling -- exactly what the paleoclimatic record demonstrates.

Miskowlczi has used his theory to model not only Earth, but the Martian atmosphere as well, showing what he claims is an extremely good fit with observational results.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

Re: No subject Mar 6, 2008, 15:03

Well....the key to success and profits is RISK
"Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one."
A message of hope to those who choose to hear it,
and a warning to those who do not.

Mar 6, 2008, 14:41
Re: No subject Mar 6, 2008, 14:41
Mar 6, 2008, 14:41

Now watch Bush ask for another trillion bucks for his military-industrial cronies after this 'major terrorist attack on America's freedom'! Not all the cows in the world combined get milked as much.

"You know, the best part of the best drug in the world isn't the high. It's the moment just before you take it. The dice are dancing on the table. Between now and the time they stop, that's the greatest high in the world."
- Walter Abrams
This comment was edited on Mar 6, 14:42.

No subject
Mar 6, 2008, 14:37
No subject Mar 6, 2008, 14:37
Mar 6, 2008, 14:37

Records: Southwest flew 'unsafe' planes

Well....the key to success and profits is RISK.
No wonder why they were turning profits while everyone else was protected via the Govt'.

Mar 6, 2008, 13:33
nin
Re: No subject Mar 6, 2008, 13:33
Mar 6, 2008, 13:33
nin

That recruiting station? 1946.

And he just says it so nonchalantly, off the top of his head.

------------------------------------------------
http://ghosts.nin.com/

Mar 6, 2008, 12:59
Re: No subject Mar 6, 2008, 12:59
Mar 6, 2008, 12:59

Those things sneak up on you out of nowhere.

Mar 6, 2008, 12:56
Re: No subject Mar 6, 2008, 12:56
Mar 6, 2008, 12:56

When they hell did they put that god awful building there anyway?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Mar 6, 2008, 12:39
Re: No subject Mar 6, 2008, 12:39
Mar 6, 2008, 12:39

When they hell did they put that god awful building there anyway?

Mar 6, 2008, 11:31
Re: No subject Mar 6, 2008, 11:31
Mar 6, 2008, 11:31

None of us are ready to become Blue orphans just yet.

You tell Mrs. Blue to keep her head down. I'm sure you're ok all locked up in your cozy little office space.

And sniping any "suspicious man on a bicycle wearing a hood and a backpack" you see?

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

No subject
Mar 6, 2008, 10:12
No subject Mar 6, 2008, 10:12
Mar 6, 2008, 10:12

None of us are ready to become Blue orphans just yet.

You tell Mrs. Blue to keep her head down. I'm sure you're ok all locked up in your cozy little office space.

----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPqkCxV8SkI
I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older