THQ Director Blames Piracy for Iron Lore Closure

GamesIndustry.biz reports on a post on the Quarter To Three Forums by THQ director of creative management Michael Fitch venting his frustrations with the state of PC gaming following the closure of Iron Lore Entertainment (story). The lengthy post outlines concerns about rampant piracy, how Titan Quest's reputation suffered when pirates reported crashes (which were caused by failure to properly crack the game's DRM), complaints about hardware vendors creating compatibility issues, stupid users and bad reviewers. He concludes trying to look at the bright side: "Alright, I'm done. Making PC products is not all fun and games. It's an uphill slog, definitely. I'm a lifelong PC gamer, and hope to continue to work on PC games in the future, but man, they sure don't make it easy."
View : : :
129 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ] Older

nakliye ankaradan
May 17, 2008, 15:26
nakliye ankaradan May 17, 2008, 15:26
May 17, 2008, 15:26

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jun 3, 20:46.

Re: This was almost believeable...
Mar 9, 2008, 00:02
Prez

Re: This was almost believeable... Mar 9, 2008, 00:02
Mar 9, 2008, 00:02
 Prez

I play Oblivion with the Darnified UI mod, The OOO 1.3 overhaul mod, the Advanced Weather System and Natural Environments mods, the Reneer Guards Mod, the Midas Magic System mod, The Hotkey Extender Mod, the Advanced Leveling mod, the Saddle bag mod, a few map mods and some other graphical mods. That's a lot of stuff, I know, but I suggest to anyone who has only played Vanilla Oblivion to download these and try them out. It is virtually indistinguishable from a PC game, and I've played just about every RPG released for the PC since Akalebeth.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Mar 8, 2008, 20:57
Re: This was almost believeable... Mar 8, 2008, 20:57
Mar 8, 2008, 20:57

Keep in mind that when I played Oblivion it was brand new...after the first week to 10 days there were 1500 to 2000 mods, no site had them all, they weren't categorized well and there were no clear "must have" mods that early on.

So for me it was piecing together a couple dozen mods together through trial and error to fix the horrible UI, boring combat and bad leveling system.

Some people didn't have a problem with the way these things worked and were able to enjoy the game. I just couldn't couldn't get into it.

Burnout Paradise is a ton of fun if you like arcade racing games, this is one of the best. Between Burnout, Dirt and with Gran Turismo HD coming out next month...I'm seriously looking into a Racing Wheel, which I never have done before.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in The Witcher, Burnout Paradise, Company of Heroes, Crysis

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

Re: RE: PC game prices
Mar 8, 2008, 16:22
Re: RE: PC game prices Mar 8, 2008, 16:22
Mar 8, 2008, 16:22

I don't agree that Oblivion wasn't a good game on release. It just had no replayability. It was awesome for a once through of 50-100 hours or so.
Exactly. What is wrong with a game that provides 50 hours of entertainment (or even less) with no replayability? If you feel like it's a waste of money for that amount of play, wait for the price to drop.

For me, Oblivion provided the same exact thing that Morrowind did. A few dozen hours of engrossing, enjoyable RPG play. I never replayed Morrowind, and I doubt I'll ever replay Oblivion, but I don't regret spending $50 each for the amount of entertainment I got out of each game.

I'm sure I'll get the same value out of Fallout 3 and Elder Scrolls 5, so I'm looking forward to them as well.

Some people just have unrealistic expectations. Would I complain if Oblivion had tons of replay value and I was still enjoying it to this day? Of course not. But nor do I feel cheated because my time with the game is over. It accomplished what it was designed to do, and it did so extremely well. What's wrong with that?

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 16:22.

Mar 7, 2008, 23:28
Re: This was almost believeable... Mar 7, 2008, 23:28
Mar 7, 2008, 23:28

While I agree PC gaming isn't in as bad of shape as some would like to think...you shouldn't need to sift through thousands of user mods to make a game play like a PC game.

But why would you need to do this? I'll admit I've spent many hundreds of hours reading the Mods board, because it's fun and you can find some really awesome Mods that way.

But you can find a mod in about five minutes of work.

1) What do you dislike about Oblivion?
2) Download the mod that fixes it.
3) Play.

Have many things that displease you? Download an overhaul mod.

Can't find a certain Mod you want? Check one of the... five, I believe, online Mod reference sources, or ask in the "Mod Detectives" thread. Or simply do a search on tesnexus.

The notion that you NEED to sit there for 100 hours to get Oblivion to play better is just incorrect.

And, I agree with Prez, it's the PC that makes this level of customization doable. The 360 version of Oblivion is still the boring vanilla. The PC version is, by now, unique for every single player out there. Which is what makes it so fucking awesome. (They're holding lingerie contests in Oblivion now...) And Bethesda deserves a big thumbs up for making the game so amazingly mod friendly.

Creston

Edit : Btw Dagok, how is Burnout Paradise?

This comment was edited on Mar 7, 23:28.

Mar 7, 2008, 23:23
Re: RE: PC game prices Mar 7, 2008, 23:23
Mar 7, 2008, 23:23

For an excellent example in that, see all the bile that Fallout 3 brings to these boards. From what I see, Bethesda is really trying to make the game fairly authentic to what made Fallout great, but because it's first person, it will automatically suck.

In all fairness, they did bring that on themselves with all the hype before the disappointment that was Oblivion. It was simply not a good game upon release, and Beth's patches didn't really help (even horse-armor aside). The mod community saved their collective ass and is the only reason that game is worth playing. I can certainly understand people having serious misgivings about them taking on a franchise that is held sacred by PC gamers. I can also completely understand a serious intolerance for anything that even gives us a whiff of the bullshit they were peddling prior to Oblivion's release. If they blow this one, they can probably kiss the PC market goodbye.

Well, I agree and don't agree.

- I agree that Oblivion was hyped, and Bethesda did not deliver some of the things that they said they would. (most noticeably the Radiant AI thing, and the "200 hand designed dungeons." )
- I don't agree that that needs to automatically carry over to Fallout 3. They're not hyping that any more than any other game is hyped. I'm not sure why they're held to Oblivion's hype on every future game they make?

- I don't agree that Oblivion wasn't a good game on release. It just had no replayability. It was awesome for a once through of 50-100 hours or so.
- I agree that the Mod community is turning Oblivion into a fantastic game. Doesn't Bethesda deserve SOME credit for being so mod friendly? Oblivion is fucking fantastic for Mods. Just select the ones you want to play, and have at it. Don't want that one anymore? Just turn it off, load your savegame, and all the Mod stuff just disappears. (every other game would just crash and burn if you tried to load a savegame with Mod stuff in it that's not there anymore.)
The construction set is awesome, though takes awhile to learn (it's actually not even that hard. You can be making decent Mods with a few hours of learning time.)
The only bad thing on their side for the modding front is that they never released a tool to import new textures/replace old textures, but by the time they finally got around to looking at it, the community had already released tools that were perfect anyways.

I can understand that people have misgivings or mistrust, but from the level of hatred flung at them, you'd think they're turning Fallout 3 into Dance Dance Revolution or something. I'm not seeing Bethesda peddling bullshit like they did with Oblivion? What are you referring to, specifically?

And finally, Fallout3 is going to sell millions of copies. Millions. And Bethesda will not say goodbye to the PC market. They just won't. The vocal hatred crowd really isn't all that big.

Creston

Mar 7, 2008, 23:11
Re: RE: PC game prices Mar 7, 2008, 23:11
Mar 7, 2008, 23:11

Some of these genres still get a good game on occasion but it's too rare for the genre to be considered alive

Yeah but this ties into the jaded part. YOU don't feel there's many good games in these genres, but that's not really a majority view.

I'd call it dead when no American developer will even touch it and the space sims that do come from Europe are, for the most part, crappy and unpolished

Again what I mean. There's a fuckton of people who don't feel that X3 is crappy and unpolished. It's too much the same as X2 for my taste, which is why I haven't played it nearly as much (though probably still well over a hundred hours) and Starforce cost them a bunch of sales, but it's not really accurate to say the genre is dead. Imo.

Mask of the Betrayer was an expansion pack to a shitty game

But it's a kick ass RPG. The only bad thing about it is that curse meter that's a real time thing, which sucks in an RPG. Other than that it's pretty fucking cool. Does the fact it's an expansion to NWN2 make it count less?

And Two Worlds was a very shitty game that had more in common with Diablo than any actual cRPGs

I haven't played it. It gets decent reviews. I wouldn't exactly call the genre dead.

Crysis wasn't really deep at all. You either play stealthy and put up with completely retarded AI or you go blow everything up. There's not much meaningful choice in the end.

Yeah, but it's a shooter. What kind of "meaningful choice" do you want? It has huge open levels, a nanotech suit that DOES influence the way you play (or at least offers different styles), fairly non-linear objectives. What more do you want out of a SHOOTER??

Bioshock was a watered down (all pun intended) version of System Shock 2

Granted. Does that make it a bad shooter? System Shock 2 is one of the greatest games of all time (and still not as good as the original). If that's what you set the bar at, you're not really going to find many good games anymore. Taking the extreme outlier and comparing things to it is generally not a good way to make a point.

Compared to the average console shooter, Bioshock is fucking awesome.

Even if you include TF2, that's two games... out of how many slow, pseudorealistic military shooters?

True. Shooters have tended to shift away from the Quake3 mold. Which is fine by me, because Quake3 style shit bores me to tears. If you're a fan of those types of shooters, then yes, it's probably a decaying genre.

I don't actually consider them restored unless they can at least live up to the previous titles

That shouldn't be a problem for Starcraft2, and it won't be a problem for Deus Ex 3, because Deus Ex 2 was a piece of crap. So that leaves Fallout 3. Which to me looks like it'll be a good game. Will it be as awesome as Fallout 1 & 2? Probably not. Again, those are 2 of the greatest RPGs ever made. It's impossible to keep releasing "best game EVARR!!" games. It just doesn't work that way.

If jaded means that we once played great games that haven't been matched since, then yeah, I guess we are jaded

No, I mean we're jaded because we have this nostalgic view of old games that's become impossible to beat. (for example like how millions of people still call Elite the greatest space game ever. I'm sorry, but every single thing Elite did has since been done a hundred times better. X3 is in every single way a superior game.)

As with any medium that grows increasingly mainstream, the quality of games has declined over the years. When developers didn't try to cater every game to retards and grannies, great games were made. Great games are still made now, only far, far less frequently.

I'll grant that. Why does that mean that it's dying? For one, it simply takes a lot longer to actually MAKE a game nowadays. If every developer releases a great game, say, one out of three games, that means we're now waiting ~ 10 years for a developer to make a great game. Whereas that used to be 2 years.

There's a lot more games being released now, and so percentage wise the great games have become a lot more scarce, but in my opinion, I play just as many great games now as I used to do ten-twenty years ago. I just have to wait longer in between to get them. I'm not sure that constitutes that they and their genres have died?

Creston

Mar 7, 2008, 22:53
Re: This was almost believeable... Mar 7, 2008, 22:53
Mar 7, 2008, 22:53

#106, #107, #110 - Best comments by far. I can't agree more with Creston.

Marry me?

Sorry, my wife insists on a monogamous relationship.

Creston

Mar 7, 2008, 19:07
... Mar 7, 2008, 19:07
Mar 7, 2008, 19:07

In all fairness, they did bring that on themselves with all the hype before the disappointment that was Oblivion. It was simply not a good game upon release, and Beth's patches didn't really help (even horse-armor aside).
I'm sorry but that's bollocks. I thought Oblivion was brilliant without patches or extra content, though designing the modular system for addons gave the game extra longevity (something that they incorporated deliberately and can take credit for). I think the user mods were a double edged sword because everyone expected them to turn an already great game into one perfect for every individual, something that could never be achieved. Sure it might not have been a deep RPG but it was, imo, an exceptional game. I am happy that they are taking a stab at Fallout and they clearly care what the community thinks, rather than simply fleecing it on behalf of the publisher.

PC Gaming dying? I'm too busy having a blast playing great games to notice.
Exactly. The Orange Box, UT3, COD4, Bioshock, The Witcher and so on - a damn good year. I don't care whether some of those have been released on consoles as they are still great PC games.

TF2 isn't fast unless you play as the Scout.
Pyro, demoman and the spy are pretty fast paced and you're always close to the action. TF2 gives you a bit of everything and you can pick the pace to suit you.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

No subject
Mar 6, 2008, 12:14
No subject Mar 6, 2008, 12:14
Mar 6, 2008, 12:14

Diablo 2 was an achingly better game than Titan Quest. I wanted to like TQ but one experienced virtually all the game offered in the first hour of gameplay.

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 12:18.

Mar 5, 2008, 18:49
Re: This was almost believeable... Mar 5, 2008, 18:49
Mar 5, 2008, 18:49

There are enough UI mods, Graphics mods, Game system mods, and Script mods

While I agree PC gaming isn't in as bad of shape as some would like to think...you shouldn't need to sift through thousands of user mods to make a game play like a PC game. Even back when it first came out, I gave up on Oblivion when I had spent about 10 hours looking for mods to make the game enjoyable, and only about 5 hours playing the game.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in The Witcher, Burnout Paradise, Company of Heroes, Crysis

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

Mar 5, 2008, 13:37
Prez

Re: This was almost believeable... Mar 5, 2008, 13:37
Mar 5, 2008, 13:37
 Prez

Call me a PC Gamer with low standards, but I still think PC Gaming is just fine, if not better than ever. I am playing Oblivion again right now. Console port, right? Not so fast scooter! There are enough UI mods, Graphics mods, Game system mods, and Script mods installed to make it look like it was designed for PC from the get-go. XBox what? This is the ONLY way to play Oblivion. I'm playing my 20th or so game of Sins of a Solar Empire - it has me by the short and curlies and just won't let go. Bioshock is still calling me to play it again; I can only resist its siren song for so long before I give in. Slag it all you want - it's the next best thing to a System Shock 3, and it is brilliant. (And yes, there are difficulty mods and AI mods that make it a smarter and more challenging game. Again, this is the ONLY way to play Bioshock, baby. And despite all of the negativity, Assassins Creed looks like a new Thief on Steroids; I can't wait to be a medieval Parkour master, flying over rooftops with the greatest of ease. I also can't wait to see what mods come out that make it superior in every way to the console version. I still haven't picked up the Witcher. All in due time.

PC Gaming dying? I'm too busy having a blast playing great games to notice.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Mar 5, 2008, 07:29
Re: This was almost believeable... Mar 5, 2008, 07:29
Mar 5, 2008, 07:29

#106, #107, #110 - Best comments by far. I can't agree more with Creston.

Marry me?

Mar 5, 2008, 02:44
Re: RE: PC game prices Mar 5, 2008, 02:44
Mar 5, 2008, 02:44

As for Starcraft 2, well, I suspect it will be the original.
There, fixed it for you

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Mar 5, 2008, 01:41
Re: RE: PC game prices Mar 5, 2008, 01:41
Mar 5, 2008, 01:41

I may be mistaken here, Jerykk, but I think you're saying that we've lost all these types games on the PC, right?

Well, you're partially mistaken. Some of these genres still get a good game on occasion but it's too rare for the genre to be considered alive. It's like a corpse that occasionally twitches.

Vehicular combat games - Ehhh, what are these? I can't even think of one.

Interstate '76? That was a classic. Unlike Twisted Metal, it actually felt like you were driving a car and it had depth. We need open-world, vehicular combat games with RPG aspects and good driving models. Unfortunately, the last vehicular combat game that comes to mind was Hard Truck and that was pretty bad.

Space Sims - The X series is doing fine. Their next title was recently announced. And while few here care for his games, Derek Smart seems to be going fairly strong still. I wouldn't exactly call this dead.

I'd call it dead when no American developer will even touch it and the space sims that do come from Europe are, for the most part, crappy and unpolished. Whatever happened to Freespace 3? Or Independence War 3?

cRPGs - Witcher? Mask of the Betrayer? Two worlds? That's just what's been released last year.

Witcher was a great game. Mask of the Betrayer was an expansion pack to a shitty game. And Two Worlds was a very shitty game that had more in common with Diablo than any actual cRPGs.

Shooters with depth - What's wrong with Crysis? It runs like a one legged whore with a broken back but I'd call it a pretty deep shooter? Large open areas, the suit powers that actually make a big difference on how you play. And what about Bioshock? Giant underwater station that you can walk back and forth in plus plasmids plus ton of weapons plus upgrades plus being able to use the environment against your enemies not good enough?

Crysis wasn't really deep at all. You either play stealthy and put up with completely retarded AI or you go blow everything up. There's not much meaningful choice in the end.

Bioshock was a watered down (all pun intended) version of System Shock 2. No RPG aspects? Check. Respawn chambers every five feet? Check. Overpowered plasmids? Check. Lack of plasmid and enemy variety? Check. Plasmid choices that can switched at any time? Check. Weapons that can all be fully upgraded by the end of the game? Check. No inventory? Check. No challenge? Check.

Bioshock was also designed for the 360 so it doesn't really count as a PC game.

or incredibly quick, high-flying action - It's funny because you mention UT, and we just had the umpteenth iteration of that game released. Also, Team Fortress 2?

UT3 is fast, yes. However, it's probably the last UT we'll ever see. It also has a heavy emphasis on vehicles which have no place in fast-paced, over-the-top shooters. TF2 isn't fast unless you play as the Scout. Even if you include TF2, that's two games... out of how many slow, pseudorealistic military shooters?

Off the top of my head, 3 long time PC Franchises are actually being restored this year. Fallout, Starcraft and Deus Ex.

I don't actually consider them restored unless they can at least live up to the previous titles. I doubt Fallout 3 will be as good as one or two. And no, that's not because of the perspective change. I'm happy with that. It's just that Bethesda's previous RPGs have shown a complete lack of meaningful choice, the very basis upon which the original Fallout was built. I highly doubt Deus Ex 3 (which won't come out until 2009 or 2010 if EIDOS is to be believed) will even come close to the original, as it's a multiplatform title and most likely being led by 360 development. As for Starcraft 2, well, I suspect it will live up to the original.

Now let's look at some of the franchises that have been (or will be in due time) raped for the consoles:

Rainbow Six
Call of Duty
Ghost Recon
Longest Journey
Mechwarrior
Commandos
Elder Scrolls
F.E.A.R. (Project Origin lead SKU is 360).
Thief
And of course, Deus Ex.

Are we veteran PC gamers jaded? I guess. If jaded means that we once played great games that haven't been matched since, then yeah, I guess we are jaded. As with any medium that grows increasingly mainstream, the quality of games has declined over the years. When developers didn't try to cater every game to retards and grannies, great games were made. Great games are still made now, only far, far less frequently.

Mar 5, 2008, 00:08
Re: This was almost believeable... Mar 5, 2008, 00:08
Mar 5, 2008, 00:08

Then again, if you have a game that builds on Xbox360, it'll probably takes less than 2 month to port it to PC.
Yeah, that's pretty much the problem we have. They spend 2 months getting it ported, then shovel it onto the shelves and we end up having one more craptastic consolitis case. They just do it to chalk up a few more sales to people that are too dumb to either play a demo or grab a torrent before plunking their money down for the crap they're being fed.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Mar 4, 2008, 23:54
Re: This was almost believeable... Mar 4, 2008, 23:54
Mar 4, 2008, 23:54

PC Gaming isn't completely dead, but due to piracy, it has become extremely limited to titles that heavily focus on online multiplayer (or require you to go online and verify CD Key). For one thing, we are probably not going to see RTS on console anytime soon. (That being said.. ps3 does support moues + keyboard.. mmmm)

You are also right that most consumers don't care. A lot of times they only say thing like this to give an answer to investors/minority of hardcore gamers on why certain things failed blah blah blah. You don't have to listen to them if you don't want, becauset most likely they are not speaking to you.

Finally, there is no doubt that there is literally no reason to release a kick ass single player experience on PC when you can sell more on console. For those pc-only gamers out there, you really have to give some thanks to companies like EA and Take 2 to even bother release fantastic single player games like Mass Effect, Oblivion, and Bioshock on PC. Then again, if you have a game that builds on Xbox360, it'll probably takes less than 2 month to port it to PC.

Mar 4, 2008, 23:52
Re: RE: PC game prices Mar 4, 2008, 23:52
Mar 4, 2008, 23:52

For an excellent example in that, see all the bile that Fallout 3 brings to these boards. From what I see, Bethesda is really trying to make the game fairly authentic to what made Fallout great, but because it's first person, it will automatically suck.
In all fairness, they did bring that on themselves with all the hype before the disappointment that was Oblivion. It was simply not a good game upon release, and Beth's patches didn't really help (even horse-armor aside). The mod community saved their collective ass and is the only reason that game is worth playing. I can certainly understand people having serious misgivings about them taking on a franchise that is held sacred by PC gamers. I can also completely understand a serious intolerance for anything that even gives us a whiff of the bullshit they were peddling prior to Oblivion's release. If they blow this one, they can probably kiss the PC market goodbye.

Mar 4, 2008, 23:40
Re: This was almost believeable... Mar 4, 2008, 23:40
Mar 4, 2008, 23:40

Michael Fitch is a douchebag. I never even heard of this company nor any of it's games, assuming any were developed. Maybe the reason this company folded was simply because it SUCKED?

Blaming piracy, for crashing their servers? What a fucking retard.
__ FRAGaLOT

Re: Actually none of this matters.
Mar 4, 2008, 23:39
Re: Actually none of this matters. Mar 4, 2008, 23:39
Mar 4, 2008, 23:39

This all sounds like a whole lot of sticking your fingers in your ears and yelling "lalala there is no problem here there is no problem here" to me.

Not really. It's more like a whole bunch of guys saying "we don't buy your bullshit excuses, but if you want to leave, there's the fucking door."

If PC gaming really, truly died, I'd be sad for a few days, then I'd buy another console and play something else. When AD&D went into third edition and became a gigantic clusterfuck, me and my buddies moaned about it for a few days, then switched to a different RPG.

See, all these publishers and devs are whining and bitching about PC Gaming dying in these longwinded blowhard rants, and none of them seem to realize that most of us gamers JUST DON'T GIVE A FUCK.

Don't whine to me about how much money you're losing to fucking piracy. Don't whine to me in some futile attempt to explain why your fucking game that I just paid 50 bucks for doesn't work because you included Bullshit DRM That Doesn't Do Shit Except Fuck Legitimate Customers Up The Ass 2.47a.

We just don't care. PC Gaming isn't going to die. We all know this. So for yet another dev/publisher to be whining about how they're going to go to the console, well fine, fucking GO already.

Stardock doesn't include DRM and they're selling like a fucking champ. Second expansion is coming out in a month. They've made enough money to release 1500000000 content updates for free.

Guild Wars just sold its 5 millionth copy. The Witcher broke 600,000. Sins of a Solar Empire sold 100,000 in 2 weeks.

PC Gaming isn't dying. And any of these drama tards that are whining and bitching about it dying need to just shut the fuck up and go make shovelware crap for the Wii already.

PC gaming isn't going to die, but I do see the AAA publishers a lot more leery about getting into or continuing in the market.

Dude, who cares??? These are the "quality" publishers that foist all these movie tie-ins and Tomb Raider 9,334,583 and Unreal Tournament 3 Super Alpha Plus Redux 2 bullshit on us. The really good games come from small developers who generally get a new or relatively unknown publishers to fund them for a game.

If EA and Take 2 and THQ and Infogrames and all the other fucktards want to leave PC Gaming, then BYE BYE!!! Take your DRM shite to the 360, see if they appreciate it there.

I'll happily keep giving my money to Stardock.

Creston

129 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ] Older