24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Sony Says So
Jan 26, 2008, 01:24
Re: Sony Says So Jan 26, 2008, 01:24
Jan 26, 2008, 01:24

It's pointless trying to convince the anti-Sony, 360 worshipers that the PS3 is a quality game console/media center...
Look who's talking you anti-MS, PS3 worshiper. Who said it wasn't a quality game console? I don't think that's the issue. What it needs are some more good games!
...excellent games (Uncharted, R&C, Warhawk, UT3) with many scheduled for 2008...
That's not many games and UT3 is on/coming to the PC and 360. The good games coming this year probably won't be out until summer or fall.

I've got both consoles and have a lot more games on the 360. Sure, it came out first, but even games that come on both consoles I have bought for the 360 because I prefer it's controller. It fits in my big hands much better and the thumbstick position feels more natural. The triggers are better too and I like being able to replace the rechargeable batteries when they have worn out. Vibration is nice in some games and I also like having the option to play with a corded controller if I want. I'd rather not use batteries at all when I'm sitting only 6' away in my game room.

I also get 360 versions of games over the PS3 because I have 4 friends who own their own yet I don't even know anyone else personally who has a PS3. So I get the 360 version to be able to play with them online. And btw, none of their (nor mine) consoles have died and 3 of them are over a year old.

So far my PS3 has been used more for watching Blu-ray movies than gaming. It works great for that!

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 01:37.
This space is available for rent

Re: No subject
Jan 25, 2008, 20:45
Re: No subject Jan 25, 2008, 20:45
Jan 25, 2008, 20:45

Don't discount LIVE as a huge advantage Xbox has over PS3. I don't see Sony rolling out anything that competes with it. Not for free anyway.

I take it you're not aware of Home then? It should address most of the current "shortcomings" of PSN and more. Sony releases updates all of the time. One of the most often requested features, in-game XMB, is slated for the next update. Sony listens to its customers and tends to deliver. All of this at no extra cost.

I was about to post and saw you had taken care of it shortly. The XMB limitation was because the OS didn't run when the user was in a game. I'm not sure on the details, was something I read, which didnt make a lot of sense to me because I could download games from PSN in the background while playing.

Anyways, whatever the problem was seems to have been dealt with and actually included in yesterdays update. When downloading from the PSN and being in Burnout Paradise a message popped up while I was playing, stating that the DMC4 demo had completed, and this hadn't happened before.

To sum that up, yes the XMB should be in very soon. Some people think Home will be out very soon as well since some upcoming games are going to be using it.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in The Witcher, Burnout Paradise, COmpany of Heroes, Team Fortress 2

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

Jan 25, 2008, 20:33
JM
Re: No subject Jan 25, 2008, 20:33
Jan 25, 2008, 20:33
JM

For someone that needs HD, Blue Ray, bells whistles, and free blow jobs (which you SHOULD get by paying that much for a console), BlueToth (why?), etc etc etc then by all means get a PS3.

Isn't the cheapest 360 that includes a hard drive (which I'm assuming you would want) like only $50 cheaper than the 40GB PS3? The elite is $50 more. I'd say you're definitely getting a better value for your dollar with the PS3. Not saying that means you have to prefer it to owning a 360 but when people site the cost as a deciding factor it's a bit of a flawed argument at this point in time.

Don't discount LIVE as a huge advantage Xbox has over PS3. I don't see Sony rolling out anything that competes with it. Not for free anyway.

I take it you're not aware of Home then? It should address most of the current "shortcomings" of PSN and more. Sony releases updates all of the time. One of the most often requested features, in-game XMB, is slated for the next update. Sony listens to its customers and tends to deliver. All of this at no extra cost.

I also didn't want to have to deal with the likelihood of hardware issues with the 360.

This is what boggles my mind the most. Even with all of the horror stories from people with multiple units failing within months of replacements, people still want to support/defend Microsoft. Can you imagine any other company with a 30% failure rate of one of their biggest products getting cut as much slack as Microsoft gets? If a car or a television had that kind of failure rate, there would most likely be recalls and/or lemon law class action suits.

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 20:41.

Jan 25, 2008, 20:19
Re: No subject Jan 25, 2008, 20:19
Jan 25, 2008, 20:19

Jan 25, 2008, 18:11
Re: No subject Jan 25, 2008, 18:11
Jan 25, 2008, 18:11

For someone that needs HD, Blue Ray, bells whistles, and free blow jobs (which you SHOULD get by paying that much for a console)

The main thing that 360 has over the PS3 is games catalog. I have no time to go back and play those games, so it's not an issue for me. I also didn't want to have to deal with the likelihood of hardware issues with the 360. And the Microsoft exclusive titles haven't really interested me anyways.

Without the hardware issues for the 360 I would have considered picking one up, but when I factored in everything else I wanted I went PS3. The game abilities I really just considered as a cheap bonus ability.

Currently fragging in The Witcher, Burnout Paradise, COmpany of Heroes, Team Fortress 2

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/
This comment was edited on Jan 25, 18:16.

No subject
Jan 25, 2008, 17:20
No subject Jan 25, 2008, 17:20
Jan 25, 2008, 17:20

bla bla bla 360 vs PS3.

Why not argue about Ford and Chevy while you are at it.

Diet Dr. Pepper vs Regular Dr. Pepper.

Coke vs Pepsi.

Ribbed vs Studded.

I am getting the 360 for the price and GTA4. (also content appears to be more on the 360, in particular for GTA4)
There are also games on the 360 that are more appealing.

For someone that needs HD, Blue Ray, bells whistles, and free blow jobs (which you SHOULD get by paying that much for a console), BlueToth (why?), etc etc etc then by all means get a PS3.

With hardware and development cycles and the lackluster feeling by Devs to program on the PS3 - doesn't really make sense for an average joe to get a PS3.

we walk the streets at night
we go where eagles dare........

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 17:23.

Re: Devil may cry 4
Jan 25, 2008, 15:54
Re: Devil may cry 4 Jan 25, 2008, 15:54
Jan 25, 2008, 15:54

and good luck using the PS3 controller to watch movies with, as I found out first hand what a pain in the ass it was.

I've never understood this comment from people. Press the Triangle and the menu comes up, select the option...done.

L1/R1 are forward and back chapters.

Start is pause/play.

Analog stick controls FF/RW.

Beyond this, if you are watching a movie, are you constantly messing with the remote for some reason that makes the controller menu difficult? I agree it's not the best controller, but I put in a movie, press Play, maybe fast forward thru the opening logos...and done, so the controller isn't an issue.

but considering it's software lineup is pretty piss poor for exclusives, and it's online capabilites are a mess, why would I waste the money on it?

PSN is being revamped and HOME is just months away (which will be free). The 360 has almost 2 years on the PS3 for game titles. PS3 has been out for 1 year for crying out loud. Give it a chance to mature. No console ever had a stellar lineup of launch games and the quality of selection usually takes 2+ years to get going.

Xbox 360 is noisy as hell (even new machines), has hardware failures at an extremely high ratio to units sold and wants another $50 a year for Live Gold, and does not have an HD player out of the box.

The main problem is people are comparing the PS3 as it is now to the 360 as it is now, when as I mentioned before the 360 has almost 2 years head start on the PS3. PS3's system is also more powerful than the 360 and hasn't been out long enough for developers to start utilizing that extra juice.

PS: Xbox 360 did not have an HDMI cable in the first few SKU's when it was released either.

Jan 25, 2008, 11:18
Re: Devil may cry 4 Jan 25, 2008, 11:18
Jan 25, 2008, 11:18

You can't take a bottom of the line no frills version of the 360, spend close to $200 on accessories, try to claim the $200 in accessories wasn't 'necessary' (well, I'm sure the $50 Live subscription was), and then compare it to a PS3 where all that stuff is included. That's retarded.

But that's the point, I didn't spend close to 200 dollars on accessories. I think, in grand total, I spent $110 bucks beyond the original price of the console. However, as I said, those weren't necessary for my enjoyment of the console.

Also, note where I said my point of view came from. Stuff that interests me. Bluetooth functionality does not interest me. The only thing I own with Bluetooth on it is my cell phone and solely because it came with it, I certainly don't use it. Further, I clearly stated that I am not interested in disc based high definition content. You can drool over slow access rates all you want. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD both suck.

Another incorrect point is that my LAN setup is NOT necessary to do what I stated. Had I a PC with Windows XP or better on it (and, really, who doesn't who's part of mainstream society?), I could do the same thing. That is in no way, shape or form a minority. Stop trying to dissemble because of your fanboyism.

I can certainly bring the accessibility to my LAN and the server in to my point of view in the discussion as it directly impacts my enjoyment of the console. The fact that I have have three 360s which can access media content that used to solely be reserved to PCs, SCPCs and laptops with a minimum of hassle is a huge boon to my experience with the console.

Not only that, but after putting Slackware on my original Xbox FOUR YEARS AGO, it also can be utilized as an email server, webserver, media server, gateway and a partridge in a pear tree. So? Who gives a fuck. Your average home user isn't going to be putzing with Linux at all on ANY system, console or PC. They, will however, be running Windows and find it neat that they can connect their console and PC.

You can argue your preference all you want. Have at. You can't, however, argue away my experience with the console I selected and the enjoyment I've had with it. I did not say my setup was typical. I did not state my experience was the mean average for every owner of a 360.

"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Jan 25, 2008, 10:46
Re: Sony Says So Jan 25, 2008, 10:46
Jan 25, 2008, 10:46

It's pointless trying to convince the anti-Sony, 360 worshipers that the PS3 is a quality game console/media center. They don't want to hear about free online, low hardware failure rates, built-in wireless, bluetooth, Blu-ray, excellent games (Uncharted, R&C, Warhawk, UT3) with many scheduled for 2008, PSP integration, etc. Otherwise, they start to feel all kinds of sad about their overheating, under-powered, under-engineered, RRODing, $50 a year for online, not-built-for-the-future, piece of MS crap.

Oh, but they have Halo 3!

Jan 25, 2008, 10:05
Re: Devil may cry 4 Jan 25, 2008, 10:05
Jan 25, 2008, 10:05

Until the PS3's price drop it was still cheaper to get all the accessories for the 360 then it was for the cheapest PS3.
This is true, but the price HAS dropped and they've since brought out a more cost affective solution. Granted it's an extra $50, but with that $50 you get an extra 20GB of drive space, wireless connectivity, and a blu-ray player ... money well spent. Granted you don't get backwards compatability, but that only costs an extra $150 over the current XBox, still cheaper than it's MS counterpart.

I will say that the XBox has the library; I look at my stack of games and my XBox games overshadows my PS3 games by at least 4 to 1 ... this is mostly because I'm a cheapass and buy older games when they drop in price. For new games, it seems most of the deficiencies with the PS3 versions have been worked out and most times what you get on one system is pretty much the same as you get on another (DMC4 for example). Then again, there are games that give a system that extra edge, GTA:IV is an example there (with the 360 getting the downloadable content).

Also, for the previous comment that stated the PS3 was the reason for the delay on GTA:IV, this may be true, but keep in mind that there was still quite a bit of work to go on the game and I have a sneeking suspicion that the PS3 is just a skapegoat.

Jan 25, 2008, 09:42
Re: Devil may cry 4 Jan 25, 2008, 09:42
Jan 25, 2008, 09:42

Until the PS3's price drop it was still cheaper to get all the accessories for the 360 then it was for the cheapest PS3.

As for wireless media sharing 360 has it (granted you have to install Zune on the PC, or have XP Media version) but it's all there.

Granted I will give kudos to Sony for having built in Wireless, but at the same time it doesn't have HD cables with it either, and good luck using the PS3 controller to watch movies with, as I found out first hand what a pain in the ass it was.

But lets talk about PS3's online networking. The interface is a fucking mess. And pray that a 'must have demo' doesn't cripple the network like Turismo's did.

But why the hell would you want to use a PS3 for email or web server? Granted it CAN be done, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Again the PS3 is a damn fine HD-Blu Ray player, but considering it's software lineup is pretty piss poor for exclusives, and it's online capabilites are a mess, why would I waste the money on it?

Jan 25, 2008, 09:16
F7
Re: Devil may cry 4 Jan 25, 2008, 09:16
Jan 25, 2008, 09:16
F7

Situational Statistics rule!

The Advocate - Doesn't matter. You still payed for wireless controllers, charging towers, and a Live pack. All things that are included in the PS3.

You can't take a bottom of the line no frills version of the 360, spend close to $200 on accessories, try to claim the $200 in accessories wasn't 'necessary' (well, I'm sure the $50 Live subscription was), and then compare it to a PS3 where all that stuff is included. That's retarded.

In addition, you can't bring your server box and your LAN into the discussion either. You needed that several thousand dollar setup just to get media sharing functionality out of your 360. You are in the minority. Most people do not have a setup such as yours. For people that don't have such a setup, the PS3 everything your over-bloated home media network does. In fact, it could be argued that you spent thousands of dollars on a setup that the PS3 could have done for under $500 bucks.

Not only that, but after putting Ubuntu on my PS3, I also utilize it as an email server, web server, and media server. All accessible from anywhere in the world.

Oh yeah...for free too.
This comment was edited on Jan 25, 09:20.

Jan 25, 2008, 06:57
Re: Devil may cry 4 Jan 25, 2008, 06:57
Jan 25, 2008, 06:57

Reeves: My crack budget is HUGE!

I'm not a console fanboi. Hell, up until this current generation, I thought consoles were childishly inept compared to my LAN setup. In many ways they still are.

However, I eventually settled on the 360 over the PS3 for several reasons:

1. Cost: At 200 dollars less than the PS3, that was more money at the initial purchase available to start the game library. I've heard the blindly Sony say "B..b..but after you buy X, Y and Z to make it comparable to the PS3, it's the same price!" Not so for me. I have Cat 6 jacks in every room of the house that is practical. No need for slow wireless and disc based high definition video doesn't interest me. I did spend a bit more for the wireless controllers, charging towers and Live pack. However, I wasn't required to make those purchases to enjoy the console.

2. Content: I wandered in to my local game store last night to pick up a copy of Burnout Paradise. The PS3 has about half a shelf worth of games after being out for more than a year. Half a shelf. No, I'm not talking about the usual "put 20 copies of the same game out to look like we have more volume". I'm talking about stacking them side by side like you would at home. Whereas, I have a large selection of games for the 360 plus the Live Arcade which, incidentally, has some really fun games on the cheap.

3. Media: So you can share media between PS3s and your PSP. Whoop te do! Since I have a Windows Server box on the LAN, I can share movies, music and pictures across all three 360s in the house, giving each 360 access to literally terabytes worth of content. I can also walk up to any of my 360s, plug in the Zune* and pull stuff off of it or, and this is cool, put stuff on it. I also like that through the Live Marketplace I can download movies in different formats along with other content. It's pretty damned fast too.

Sony needs to stop deluding itself and realize that they've lost this round of the console war to Nintendo. So, too, does Microsoft. Newsflash to Sony: The general public doesn't care about your product! You sold barely more than half the numbers of the number two console! Go home, rethink your product strategy and come up with something effective tomorrow.

* Quit snickering. The wife and I each got a Zune for free as Christmas gifts. I would have never purchased a personal media player on my own. Turns out, it's pretty damned handy.

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 07:00.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Devil may cry 4
Jan 25, 2008, 03:29
Devil may cry 4 Jan 25, 2008, 03:29
Jan 25, 2008, 03:29

Pretty cool game. I hope the final game on the 360 has control customization options though, cuz right now the controls are obviously in "I think I'm a Playstation game, still" mode. The right-bumper is obviously filling in for the R1 button on the Dualshock/Sixaxis. The problem is that Right bumper isn't meant to be a primary button in the same way R1 is. So it feels awkward. If it was Right trigger instead of right bumper, it'd be fine.

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

Jan 25, 2008, 02:11
Re: Sony Says So Jan 25, 2008, 02:11
Jan 25, 2008, 02:11

Actually Uncharted was a blast. And streaimg music and Video to PS3 wirelessly to PS3 is nice. Oh and Bluray is nice.

If ya ask me, next year this time PS3 will have alot of developers finally tapping the true power of this machine

Cant wait!

Jan 25, 2008, 00:46
Re: Sony Says So Jan 25, 2008, 00:46
Jan 25, 2008, 00:46

PS3 ain't NEVER catching the 360 no matter how you spin it. Just wait for LAIR, just wait until R&C, just wait until Uncharted, now it's just wait until LBP and KZ2. Wait, wait, wait, for all that vaporous potential. It's comical. We're ALL waiting for GTA4 because of Sony's big black boat anchor or so Rockstar says. PS3 is nothing more than a punchline that plays BR movies. How many more big platefuls of epic fail are the sheep going to have to eat before they realize that they bought a media hub instead of a gaming platform. Remember kids, pretty graphics can't gloss over the sheer amount of suck that's been dished out so far. Deal with it.

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 00:50.

Jan 24, 2008, 23:30
Re: Sony Says So Jan 24, 2008, 23:30
Jan 24, 2008, 23:30

LittleBigPlanet, for one.

Umm, I don't think that one is coming before summer either. Looks like another September release.
This space is available for rent

Jan 24, 2008, 23:17
Re: Sony Says So Jan 24, 2008, 23:17
Jan 24, 2008, 23:17

Sorry, I just don't see Reeve's claims happening. Isn't it really that odd to see an off the wall announcement from Sony these days?

Once Blu-Ray player prices drop below that of PS3, you're going to see a sharp drop in PS3 sales.

Sony's got a double edged sword there.

It's amazing really. But, Sony knew it was leveraging Blu-Ray against the success of PS3 as a game console. So, in that regard, they did very well.

In regards to gaming? It's full of suck. Who knew that making a console easy to program for would actually bring devs?

Jan 24, 2008, 23:04
nin
Re: Sony Says So Jan 24, 2008, 23:04
Jan 24, 2008, 23:04
nin

Jan 24, 2008, 21:46
Re: Sony Says So Jan 24, 2008, 21:46
Jan 24, 2008, 21:46

Does the Ps3 have some big titles coming out before summer I'm not aware of?

LittleBigPlanet, for one.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older