Pirates of the Burning Sea Beta Pre-launch

Sony Online Entertainment announces that Pirates of the Burning Sea has launched for preorder customers, who can get a jump on the game's official launch on January 22. Characters will not be wiped (or whiped for that matter) prior to launch, and those interested in participating can still preorder (raising the question of what the difference between this preorder bonus and the actual launch, besides capping progress at level 21 for now). The announcement also unveils the game's pricing structure:
For players who pre-ordered Pirates of the Burning Sea:

Grab your favorite parrot, strap on your peg leg and come on board as the Pirates of the Burning Sea Boarding Party is in full effect! Players can build their characters up to level 21, prior to the January 22nd launch, and they will not be whiped at launch. All players need to do is visit www.piratesoftheburningsea.com/preorder/ and follow the instuctions!

In addition, the pricing information for the game is as follows:
Retail Purchase/Digital Download of Pirates of the Burning Sea: $49.99
1 month subscription: $14.99
3 month subscription: $41.99
6 month subscription: $77.99
12 month subscription: $143
View : : :
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

This game is FUCKING awesome!
Jan 11, 2008, 22:34
God
This game is FUCKING awesome! Jan 11, 2008, 22:34
Jan 11, 2008, 22:34
God

Sorry haters, this game rocks!

Re: No subject
Jan 9, 2008, 18:51
Re: No subject Jan 9, 2008, 18:51
Jan 9, 2008, 18:51

Blues posters are so fucking jaded....you guys need a serious dose of optimism. The pesimistic shit needs to go. I've been a reader here for many years and it's just degraded horribly recently.

The game stinks. I played the beta for quite some time and after the first 2 hours I was forcing myself to keep playing because I wanted to make sure the game didn't have something better just around the corner.

At level 15 or so I gave up, the game does not offer nearly enough things to do. The world is ugly. Graphically this game looked great in screen shots but once you sit down and play it you'll be shocked at how poor everything looks.

Combat being slow is not that big a concern to me, I expected it to be a bit slow. But it seemed like all I did was circle the enemy and press the space bar. I could load different ammunitions and do damage to the crew/sails but besides different colored bars moving up or down there wasn't much difference. Even if you blast the crew with grape shot all day they still regenerate somehow...

And boarding other ships seemed like the easiest way to win combat but the avatar combat system was terrible, I mean REALLY REALLY BAD. I hated doing missions or anything involving my little sword carrying guy. I hated how ever other level I gained I could only spend those points on sword fighting, so no matter what your preference you were forced to play a character that was balanced between sword combat and naval combat.

I hated that. I just wanted to be in my ship all the time, I hated running around on ugly island looking for treasure, or maps, or whatever.

Adding an avatar side to this game killed it in my opinion. The ship combat side of this game is interesting but looks and feels unfinished. The avatar side is tacked on and looks like no one really wanted to make it in the first place.

RIP POTBS. I was hoping you'd be competition for EVE Online, but I guess that remains the only place where you can get really good ship to ship combat going.

Ending Song on Portal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjGfgV7rJHI

Disappointed
Jan 9, 2008, 16:55
Disappointed Jan 9, 2008, 16:55
Jan 9, 2008, 16:55

I decided to pre-order this game the other day because I like the whole pirates theme and have been looking forward to it since they announced it. Well, I finally was able to download and install the game on January 7, 2008. After playing for a few hours I found myself disappointed, but continued playing on. It appears as if the walking around aspect of this game was developed only a few months ago...it feels VERY unpolished. This is something a college student would display as his final presentation, not something a gaming studio would come out with.

This ship combat on the other hand was interesting and fun at the same time. Sure it may be slow, but it's supposed to be. I enjoyed the pace of my battles and my overall experience with the open seas was a good one. Even though I haven't played this game that much because of work and college, I can tell that it will most likely be the same as I progress in levels.

In the end, I believe I will just cancel my pre-order and just save my money for something else. For the record, I've played almost every MMO since UO (even WWII Online) and unfortunately, this game just doesn't capture my attention early on, which is scary. I'll see how this game is about 6 months to a year after launch.

Re: No subject
Jan 9, 2008, 15:38
Re: No subject Jan 9, 2008, 15:38
Jan 9, 2008, 15:38

"I like many other I know had high hopes for this one and sadly it falls a few miles short of being anything near like I had hoped.
The gameplay is very very slow and alot of it is instanced, the quests are your typical world of warcraft crap i.e. "go here collect this, or go here kill that"
This is just another in a long line of horrible cookie cutter MMORPGs out there at the moment, will anyone bring us some innovation? I mean for christ sakes these type of games are becoming simpler by every release (thanks WoW).

I honestly wouldn't bother even trying this one unless you like Dull slow and repetitive games which you have to pay for the prvilidge to play."

You know, this is probably the BEST MMO to come out in a very long time IF you play with a good team of people. If you are a solo type player that likes doom speed FPS type games then this game just isn't for you.

The combat IS slow on purpose because, gasp, you are fighting in 1700 era ships!! Tactics are everything and you don't get an instant "i win" button to mash over and over.

The economy is 100% player driven and so there's an entirely different game to be played on that level as well; very similar to Eve.

PvP in this game is probably the best I've come across in the last 5-7 years because it's NOT a 1-5 second gank fest. It's you or your group vs the other person or group. There's NO smack talking as you can't even talk to opposing factions unless you try to emote some lame "pwned" type comment (which you can not do).

Quests are actually NOT the hand holding type and you actually have to figure things out occasionally without a giant flashing GO HERE NEXT sign over the appropriate NPC's head. Some quests are straight forward "kill the invading pirates" type quests, but by no means all. The story is actually well done and rather deep IF you read it. Of course that's probably too much to ask from the "NOW NOW NOW GIMME GIMME HURRY UP!!!111!!" crowd.

This game is good... VERY GOOD. If you are tired of the SOS of every other MMO then you should give this a shot.

Blues posters are so fucking jaded....you guys need a serious dose of optimism. The pesimistic shit needs to go. I've been a reader here for many years and it's just degraded horribly recently.

No subject
Jan 9, 2008, 15:01
No subject Jan 9, 2008, 15:01
Jan 9, 2008, 15:01

Jesus some people amaze me when they say the gameplay is slow... How exactly would you speed up old world naval combat?? Install some fucking jets on the backs of the sails and maybe add a plasma cannon or two? Go back to your dumbed down graphics enhanced digital lobotomy games then.

education
Jan 9, 2008, 14:20
Kxmode

education Jan 9, 2008, 14:20
Jan 9, 2008, 14:20
 Kxmode

If you see "capture that pirate's booty", booty means treasure.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
This comment was edited on Jan 9, 14:21.
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Since we know
Jan 9, 2008, 12:20
Since we know Jan 9, 2008, 12:20
Jan 9, 2008, 12:20

That this is a shit MMO, lets go ahead and switch the subject to

"Place your bets on how long Pirates will last!"

i give it 1 year and 4 months.

Re: Boring slow game
Jan 9, 2008, 10:49
Re: Boring slow game Jan 9, 2008, 10:49
Jan 9, 2008, 10:49

agreed 100% a big disappointment. I love the way if you don't pre-order, everyone get a 21 level head start on you.
what a crock of shit.

Greed
Jan 9, 2008, 10:18
Greed Jan 9, 2008, 10:18
Jan 9, 2008, 10:18

The problem is greed. Why can't an MMO have an ending say after 3-6 months of play? They have to implement the treadmill idea which is just so old and impossible to sustain.

Why not smaller, shorter MMO's and then just let people drop. Simply.

No subject
Jan 9, 2008, 09:45
No subject Jan 9, 2008, 09:45
Jan 9, 2008, 09:45

Huh?

What exactly do they think they are charging the $14.99/mo for?

Just getting a MMORPG to a playable state doesn't mean you can charge monthly for the game. Frankly, MOST of these games don't even provide as much content as a good single-player game. It's all rehashed and reused content. I hope the days of the mmorpg are nearly over.

Re: Boring slow game
Jan 9, 2008, 07:45
Re: Boring slow game Jan 9, 2008, 07:45
Jan 9, 2008, 07:45

MMORPG's are reality TV of the gaming world. SO many and most are shit.

When all else fails empty the magazine...

Boring slow game
Jan 9, 2008, 06:11
Boring slow game Jan 9, 2008, 06:11
Jan 9, 2008, 06:11

I like many other I know had high hopes for this one and sadly it falls a few miles short of being anything near like I had hoped.
The gameplay is very very slow and alot of it is instanced, the quests are your typical world of warcraft crap i.e. "go here collect this, or go here kill that"
This is just another in a long line of horrible cookie cutter MMORPGs out there at the moment, will anyone bring us some innovation? I mean for christ sakes these type of games are becoming simpler by every release (thanks WoW).

I honestly wouldn't bother even trying this one unless you like Dull slow and repetitive games which you have to pay for the prvilidge to play.

Reason for Pre-launch play
Jan 9, 2008, 01:46
Reason for Pre-launch play Jan 9, 2008, 01:46
Jan 9, 2008, 01:46

Since everything is going to be player run, as far as the economy goes, they wanted dedicated players to actually get the economy jumpstarted.

One can also pay the $10 and try the game out to see if they like it.

Re: $
Jan 9, 2008, 01:33
Re: $ Jan 9, 2008, 01:33
Jan 9, 2008, 01:33

Isn't $15/month the regular fee for MMOs?

$
Jan 9, 2008, 01:31
$ Jan 9, 2008, 01:31
Jan 9, 2008, 01:31

Pretty fucking expensive if you ask me.

Re: Anyone know...
Jan 9, 2008, 01:19
Re: Anyone know... Jan 9, 2008, 01:19
Jan 9, 2008, 01:19

Yeah, this will be part of the Station Pass

Re: Anyone know...
Jan 9, 2008, 01:01
Re: Anyone know... Jan 9, 2008, 01:01
Jan 9, 2008, 01:01

so, how is this game?

Anyone know...
Jan 8, 2008, 23:16
Anyone know... Jan 8, 2008, 23:16
Jan 8, 2008, 23:16

If this will be added to The All Access Pass?

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older