Universal Combat Freeware

Universal Combat is now available as a freeware release, as promised a couple of weeks ago (story). Word from 3000AD is: "Once again, our freeware game is released with no advertising, no nag screens, no expiration date, nothing. Just the full (and patched) single player game as was commercially released in Feb 2004, but with fewer music tracks (the game FAQ shows how players can add their own MP3 tracks) and no multiplayer." The download is available on Atomic Gamer, AusGamers, ComputerGames.ro, FanGaming, FileFront, Gamer's Hell, and Strategy Informer.
View : : :
163 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ] Newer

Heh
Jan 2, 2008, 11:52
Heh Jan 2, 2008, 11:52
Jan 2, 2008, 11:52

As free as a PhD.

So...
Jan 2, 2008, 12:26
So... Jan 2, 2008, 12:26
Jan 2, 2008, 12:26

Do they also pay you money to play it?

Time until Mr. Smart starts a flame war; T - 10, 9, 8, 7...

No subject
Jan 2, 2008, 12:39
No subject Jan 2, 2008, 12:39
Jan 2, 2008, 12:39

Word from 300AD is

Invented a time machine?

No subject
Jan 2, 2008, 13:10
No subject Jan 2, 2008, 13:10
Jan 2, 2008, 13:10

If Derek ever learns how to write a UI that's more modern than 1991, I might try to play his games. He writes features, and then shoe-horns an interface on them. His keyboard layouts are insane, and his customization non-existent.

I really tried to play and enjoy BC3000AD... I couldn't. I'm a powergamer, and I still couldn't get past his hideous control layout.

I'ts like hiding a game at the top of a mountain... who the hell wants to go through the effort? I'll play the game that doesn't torture me before letting me play, thank you.
Dreaming Demon, formerly Tikatt, formerly The Raven

ew
Jan 2, 2008, 13:33
ew Jan 2, 2008, 13:33
Jan 2, 2008, 13:33

Its like carpophagia, you have to eat a lot of shit before you think you like it.

This comment was edited on Jan 2, 13:34.

Re: No subject
Jan 2, 2008, 13:38
Re: No subject Jan 2, 2008, 13:38
Jan 2, 2008, 13:38

If Derek ever learns how to write a UI that's more modern than 1991, I might try to play his games. He writes features, and then shoe-horns an interface on them. His keyboard layouts are insane, and his customization non-existent.

I really tried to play and enjoy BC3000AD... I couldn't. I'm a powergamer, and I still couldn't get past his hideous control layout.

I'ts like hiding a game at the top of a mountain... who the hell wants to go through the effort? I'll play the game that doesn't torture me before letting me play, thank you.

If you had actually played ANY of my games since that first BC3KAD title from.....1999, you'd know that (a) you're full of shit (b) you're talking rubbish.

Complex games have complex interfaces to match. The interface in my games is no more difficult that that which is on a niche genre such as, e.g. flight sims.

Even WoW has an obtusely complex interface compared to ANY of my games.

My games are in a niche category. Right there, a full functioning brain - thats not on crack - is required.

Your post is the same old Internet mob mentality at its very best. You engage your mouth before your brain, just because its what the next man is doing.

Nevertheless, those who can grasp the interface in my games are the very ones buying it. So why should I give a toss what you and your lady friends think? I don't. In fact, I have no idea why I'm responding to this shit. Fact is, I'm on vacation and bored stupid, having just finished the excellent COD4 (PC version) and wondering wtf I'm going to do until I get back to work next week.

So, go ahead, bring it on. I love to make [anon] idiots look stupid; especially when you consider that my entire rep is built on just that notion.

Wanker.

This comment was edited on Jan 2, 13:39.
Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

Jan 2, 2008, 14:00
Re: No subject Jan 2, 2008, 14:00
Jan 2, 2008, 14:00

Wanker

Dam detractors!!!!

Re: Heh
Jan 2, 2008, 14:05
Re: Heh Jan 2, 2008, 14:05
Jan 2, 2008, 14:05

PhDs in the sciences are better than free. I was paid 25 K per year to get mine.

This comment was edited on Jan 2, 14:07.

Jan 2, 2008, 14:07
Re: No subject Jan 2, 2008, 14:07
Jan 2, 2008, 14:07

Do you really think that there would be 8+ million people playing WoW if the interface was anything but intuitive? You press asdw to move and click on icons to perform actions.

Of course the Blizzard developers aren't openly hostile to users, don't spew vulgarities in public forums, and generally have a better idea of how to tailor a product to make it accessible. Sadly those are concepts you've never shown an interest in understanding.

No subject
Jan 2, 2008, 14:08
No subject Jan 2, 2008, 14:08
Jan 2, 2008, 14:08

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/game-reviews/completely-libelous-review.php

Almost forgot the link that pretty much sums up the game.
While its nice to offer it for free it sucks and yes Ive played it Derek.

Jan 2, 2008, 14:10
Re: No subject Jan 2, 2008, 14:10
Jan 2, 2008, 14:10

My games are in a niche category. Right there, a full functioning brain - thats not on crack - is required.

Is it possible to post a criticism of a dsmart game without having your intelligence attacked by him in response?

I'd much rather see a discussion of why the UI was made as it was and why it shouldn't be dumbed down, other than just saying its a "niche" game.

Jan 2, 2008, 14:25
Re: No subject Jan 2, 2008, 14:25
Jan 2, 2008, 14:25

Oh... his games have always had a special place in my heart. I was really looking forward to Battle Cruiser and it was pretty poor when it was released, but the fact that it was released for free later largely redeemed it. It certainly wasn't for everybody though and it wasn't the game promised in the previews (but whose fault was that?). That was a different time, when computer-gamers got off on complexity.

They are a niche game, for sure, and the interfaces could be better. Of course, they should be as simple as possible without dumbing down the game, but I do have a lot of respect for the fact that the games aren't dumbed down like almost every other game these days (Freelancer anyone?). The only one I can think of off-hand is X3, which I enjoy, but it too has a extremely complicated interface.

I would compare it, maybe, to the Battlefront games. Mastering their complexity is the whole point.

Um... I don't care for the attitude though- on either side. People shouldn't be insulting niche games because that doesn't happen to be what they're into, but this is the internet, and Derek shouldn't be insulting the public- that's not very professional.

Love,
Aero

Something different
Jan 2, 2008, 14:28
Something different Jan 2, 2008, 14:28

http://www.somethingawful.com appears to be squatted

No subject
No subject Jan 2, 2008, 14:28

I know its fun to pile on the good "doctor" guys but at least give him credit for doing something that 99% of the rest of the publishers refuse to do and thats release older titles as freeware. For some reason the scumbags of the world (aka, attorneys) have convinced them (publs.) that if they give a title away they will somehow lose any rights to future use of the IP.......to other attorneys (may they all die of colon cancer).

Because of that mentality sites like Home of the Underdogs have to operate on the fringe of the law just to for people to get a chance to play something that is no longer published. So while your flaming DS give him a tip of the hat before you splash him with sterno juice and light a match.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.
This comment was edited on Jan 2, 14:31.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Jan 2, 2008, 14:36
Re: No subject Jan 2, 2008, 14:36
Jan 2, 2008, 14:36

Is it possible to post a criticism of a dsmart game without having your intelligence attacked by him in response?

No. Why? Because there is a big difference between criticism and harrassment. Not to mention libel and/or slander. If you have any common sense, let alone a Ph.D (as you seemed to indicate below) my guess is that you know the difference between the two. No?

I'd much rather see a discussion of why the UI was made as it was and why it shouldn't be dumbed down, other than just saying its a "niche" game.

And what exactly makes you think that there is something wrong with UI? Have you actually played ANY of the games in either the Battlecruiser or Universal Combat series?

Go take a gander at the docs below and draw your own conclusions.

Look, game development is not about building a better mouse trap. Its mostly about adapting to and building on an already established - and better - mouse trap. Each application UI is designed to work in the best possible manner for the app its designed for. e.g. I prefer PaintShop Pro's interface/UI to the widely popular Photoshop. The GimpShop interface/UI is for morons on acid. But you don't see me harrassing the developers of either of those products; apart from the fact that I have in fact used ALL of them at some point or another. Unlike most here who just think its fun to poke someone with a stick, then cry foul when that person growls back.

So please, spare me the righteousness. If everyone's life were under a scope, I'm quite certain that we'd all find something to complain about. And unlike this anti-social misfits, I'm not a faceless and unaccountable anon. I stand by everything I say/post. And you don't have to like it. I'm not in a popularity contest. I'm just a regular human being cruising through life and making a difference where I can. So if you folks want to hold me to a higher standard, thats your problem, not mine. Because I don't give a shit.

Do you really think that there would be 8+ million people playing WoW if the interface was anything but intuitive? You press asdw to move and click on icons to perform actions.

You're an idiot, you know that? What makes you think that you can't use WSAD to contol any of my games? Oh, thats right, you wouldn't know since you haven't actually played them.

Below are the docs for the recently released UC freeware upon which ALL the games in that series are based. Go ahead, show us how stupid you look.

http://www.3000ad.com/downloads/uc/UC_KEYBOARD_CMDS.PDF
http://www.3000ad.com/downloads/uc/UC_MANUAL.PDF
http://www.3000ad.com/downloads/uc/UC_TUTORIAL.PDF

Of course the Blizzard developers aren't openly hostile to users, don't spew vulgarities in public forums, and generally have a better idea of how to tailor a product to make it accessible. Sadly those are concepts you've never shown an interest in understanding.

Thats right, I'm not a poster boy for the PC corporate culture. And who are you again?

Its easy to judge someone from safely behind the confines of an anon glass house.

And that rubbish you posted comparing Blizzard devs is just that, rubbish. I suppose its better to ignore users (only an obtuse tit would take one look at the WoW forums and not see that the comparisons are Apples to Oranges) than to engage them on their own turf and in the only language they understand.

You may need a refresher course on Derek Smart. So here it is: Noboby puts me under siege. nobody. You come at me with a baseball bat, I'm bring an ICBM. Overkill, yeah. Thats why boys don't play games with men.

You frigging retards think that all of us [devs] have to take your shit. PLUS, I'm not the only dev who lashes out from time to time. It just so happens that, well, I'm one of the early starters.

This comment was edited on Jan 2, 14:39.
Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead

Jan 2, 2008, 14:45
Re: No subject Jan 2, 2008, 14:45
Jan 2, 2008, 14:45

In comparison to my niche titles, below are the full docs to my upcoming GALCOM action game series.

The first game, Echo Squad, was licensed exclusively for GameTap and we've completely revamped it as a Special Edition version for release this coming March.

Since the GALCOM games are action shooters, naturally I adapted the gameplay, style, UI and interface to suit that type of game.

Heck, you can play the entire game just by using a gamepad (analog or XB360 controller)!! Was the game dumbed down? No. I simply adpated the controls and UI to suit the type of game I was designing and developing, while maintaining the previous high-end nature of the world, its premise, advancements etc. I, once again, adapted the mouse trap without trying to build a better one [mouse trap].

http://www.3000ad.com/site/gces/

DOCS:

http://www.3000ad.com/downloads/gc/GAME_KEYS.PDF

http://www.3000ad.com/downloads/gc/GAME_MANUAL.PDF

http://www.3000ad.com/downloads/gc/GAME_TUTORIAL.PDF

Jan 2, 2008, 14:49
nin

Re: No subject Jan 2, 2008, 14:49
Jan 2, 2008, 14:49
 nin

I know its fun to pile on the good "doctor" guys but at least give him credit for doing something that 99% of the rest of the publishers refuse to do and thats release older titles as freeware. For some reason the scumbags of the world (aka, attorneys) have convinced them (publs.) that if they give a title away they will somehow lose any rights to future use of the IP.......to other attorneys (may they all die of colon cancer).

Because of that mentality sites like Home of the Underdogs have to operate on the fringe of the law just to for people to get a chance to play something that is no longer published.

I'll second that.

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu

Jan 2, 2008, 14:51
Re: No subject Jan 2, 2008, 14:51
Jan 2, 2008, 14:51

Derek Smart rules. I will never understand why people flame a guy for making games.

I've personally never played any of his games because I do not have the time, but I give the man credit for doing what he loves to do and making a good living doing it.

Thanks Mr. Smart for releasing your games as freeware. I wish there were more developers like you.

Laffman.......

Jan 2, 2008, 14:53
nin

Re: No subject Jan 2, 2008, 14:53
 nin

Awwwwwwwwwww...that's so sweet!

MAN CRUSH!

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu

Re: No subject Jan 2, 2008, 14:53

FYI these screens:
http://www.3000ad.com/site/screenshots_gces/

don't show up at all in firefox... works fine in IE, you might wan to fix that.
163 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ] Newer