Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Randy Pitchford on Unreal Engine & MoH

Randy Pitchford calls moaning developers cry babies on VideoGamer.com has a quote from the head cog at Gearbox from interview to be published tomorrow. During a recent Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway event Randy describes how pleased they are working with Epic and the Unreal engine, not specifically naming Silicon Knights in suggesting that developers having issues with Unreal support may themselves be to blame: "I've seen some of the stuff on the internet about the problems and I don't know if these developers are maybe new, or not used to using other people's technology or if they've gotten too many inexperienced developers or they're just cry-babies. I just don't know." There's also a Q&A with Randy on Computer and Video Games discussing BiA, but not to be left out of the controversy, they also except s quote from Randy where he expresses the opinion that the Medal of Honor franchise is "in trouble," saying: "there's something just missing about what's in the heart of what the fantasy is of playing these kinds of games and I think somebody needs to get hold of that franchise that really cares and can do that."

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: No subject Nov 30, 2007, 02:22 Some Dude

I don't know why you guys even bothered responding to CJ. What he wrote is so deeply based in anti-fact that... well, it's all in his signature, really.

This comment was edited on Nov 30, 02:24.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 22:45 FourPak

Randy's right. The gaming industry is the bottom barrel for coders anyway.

Obviously someone who's never actually worked at a game company.

Even more obviously, someone who's never written code and knows nothing of programming.

Game code is orders of magnitude more complex, sophisticated, and elegant than the simplistic boilerplate churned out at GM or Microsoft or Boeing.

Programmers at said companies couldn't pass an entry level code test at most dev studios.

22. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 21:51 Krovven

Was just thinking...the alien section of Crysis I refered to as 3D Asteroids.

Brothers In Arms is the computer game version of Wack-A-Mole. Head pops up, shoot it, if you miss it goes back down. Wait a few seconds and another will pop up.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in Team Fortress 2, Episode 2, Portal and CoH Opposing Fronts.

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

21. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 21:25 Kash

Randy's right. The gaming industry is the bottom barrel for coders anyway. Let's face it: If you had any level of real talent would you rather work in a cubicle at EA 24/7 for $3K/month or would you rather work in a cubicle at GM or Microsoft or Boeing from 9-5 for $8K/month? Yeah. Tough choice. There's a reason why game devs aren't getting paid overly well. It's because their jobs and programming tasks are comparatively simple. Anyone with real talent just doesn't work in gaming (with very few exceptions like self-employed John Carmack but we're talking entry/mid level programming positions here anyway, not lead positions). And please spare me the idealist bullshit. The number of game programmers with real talent who just do it cause they love it must be completely negligible.

Obviously someone who's never actually worked at a game company. Anyone who thinks game programming is comparatively simple to *anything* needs their head examined.

20. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 21:19 Krovven

You know what's really annoying? Armchair internet critics who always seem to be experts on every subject and just LOVE to boost their little e-go's with criticism of everything.

Did you even read the news story you first-post fool? It was a developer complaining about another developer, and being the armchair critic.

First Silicon Knights...you know what Randy, You guys didn't do so well with your Halo port, and how about that piece of crap called 007 Nightfire? It's not like Gearbox hasn't had their share of problems either.

Then follows that up with criticizing the MoH series...not that I don't disagree with him...however, Brothers in Arms was pretty damn boring and repetitive. Haven't touched any of expansion/sequels since. Before cutting down others WW2 games...look at your own first.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in Team Fortress 2, Episode 2, Portal and CoH Opposing Fronts.

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

19. No subject Nov 29, 2007, 20:24 Bone43

We love Unreal Engine. The Epic guys are brilliant.

Guess we know who's lickin Mark Reins scrotum over at Epic, keep up the good work there Randy.

18. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 20:24 Creston

You know what's really annoying? Armchair internet critics who always seem to be experts on every subject and just LOVE to boost their little e-go's with criticism of everything.

Guys who whine about other people whining with their first post? At least have the guts to put your own name up, Pitchford.

Creston

17. Ahhahahahaha Nov 29, 2007, 20:21 Creston

RANDY PITCHFORD talking smack about developers "moaning". That's rich. That's like Adolf Hitler speaking out against genocide.

Randy, just shut the fuck up.

Creston

16. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 19:06 Sty

It's like you think game developers OWE you something.

As nin stated, a functional product. Generally that's how business works. Most industries force companies to take responsibility for their products. Look at all the recalls we're seeing as of late. Unfortunately the "lead paint" of the gaming industry, buggy code, is glossed over.

If you don't like the game, don't buy it. Simple.

Last I checked you have to purchase the game first THEN (if it's playable) you find out it's a piece of shit. By then it's too late and demos are rarely a solid view of the complete product. Good luck returning the product for a full refund.

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

15. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 18:52 zirik

Put out a game that doesn't suck Randy and maybe we'll be more inclined to listen to you.

yeah i agree. its not like brothers in arms series set a high standard on the genre. randy needs to get his head out of his stinky arse.

14. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 17:59 dubfanatic

What's with this attitude you guys have? It's like you think game developers OWE you something.

Yeah, it's not like we pay for these games or anything.

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 18:03.

13. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 17:14 amygdala

I believe that he was being sarcastic.

12. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 16:05 volvox

Lemming42 if obviously an idiot.

11. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 15:23 Lemming42

" Randy's right. The gaming industry is the bottom barrel for coders anyway. Let's face it: If you had any level of real talent would you rather work in a cubicle at EA 24/7 for $3K/month or would you rather work in a cubicle at GM or Microsoft or Boeing from 9-5 for $8K/month? Yeah. Tough choice. There's a reason why game devs aren't getting paid overly well. It's because their jobs and programming tasks are comparatively simple. Anyone with real talent just doesn't work in gaming (with very few exceptions like self-employed John Carmack but we're talking entry/mid level programming positions here anyway, not lead positions). And please spare me the idealist bullshit. The number of game programmers with real talent who just do it cause they love it must be completely negligible. "

I have never seen a more accurate or less controversial post than this one.

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 15:23.

10. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 14:27 CJ_Parker

Randy's right. The gaming industry is the bottom barrel for coders anyway. Let's face it: If you had any level of real talent would you rather work in a cubicle at EA 24/7 for $3K/month or would you rather work in a cubicle at GM or Microsoft or Boeing from 9-5 for $8K/month? Yeah. Tough choice. There's a reason why game devs aren't getting paid overly well. It's because their jobs and programming tasks are comparatively simple. Anyone with real talent just doesn't work in gaming (with very few exceptions like self-employed John Carmack but we're talking entry/mid level programming positions here anyway, not lead positions). And please spare me the idealist bullshit. The number of game programmers with real talent who just do it cause they love it must be completely negligible.  

9. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 14:27 nin

You know what's really annoying?
Paying $50 for a game, only to find out it's not worth that?

Finding out the frame rate is shit, when the game is a port from a console from 2 years ago? (Hello, Halo!)

Having to download day 0 patches?

Enduring crappy copy protection that only hurts the paying customer?

It's no picnic on this side of the fence, either...

And when the customer pays $50 for a product, they are owed something. Specifically a working product that doesn't require patching out of the box, that doesn't require you to stand on your head and/or sign over your first born just to install it. And most of all, have enough entertainment to justify the price it's sold at.

If you can't take the bad with the good, I think it's you that needs to grow up.

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

8. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 14:26 Devster

Sure, you've got your right to an opinion, but realize that no game developer is trying to make a bad game.
And (Harvey Smith apparently excepted) how often do they admit it when they do?

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!
This comment was edited on Nov 29, 14:27.

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

7. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 13:08 Harbinger

What's with this attitude you guys have? It's like you think game developers OWE you something. If you don't like the game, don't buy it. Simple.

Sure, you've got your right to an opinion, but realize that no game developer is trying to make a bad game. Most of the time these guys put their blood, sweat and tears into a game. How annoying and petty they must think you are, Mr. Armchair Critic. How annoying, immature, and petty you are to spend a minute of your time to write a little quip on the net just to bash their hard work.

Grow up. The internet, and the gaming community as a whole, would be better off.

6. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 11:38 Parallax Abstraction

Put out a game that doesn't suck Randy and maybe we'll be more inclined to listen to you.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
Help Fix The Broken Xbox Live Marketplace: http://brokenxblm.blogspot.com

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube | Mixer

5. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 11:30 Ray Marden

Hee hee, nothing like accidentally, unintentionally sneaking in some smack talk.

Well, at the very least, there is clearly something broken with the A.I. in the Unreal engine. I mean, er, that is why the fifty Brothers In Arms games all feature weak, scripted A.I. that is designed to be played in a single, defined way? Which is why any attempt to play the game in any type of fluid, dynamic way outside the one pre-defined path immediately shows how incredibly weak and clueless it is?

Right?
Heh; Gearbox is okay these days, but I had to get them some sh*t in return.
Thinking James Bond 007: Nightfire is the pinnacle of programming,
Ray

-----
I'm william Shatner and I'm a shaman - what's your game?
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo