Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

BlackSite: Area 51 Postmortem

Blacksite's Harvey Smith Asks, Why The Low Scores? on Wired.com (thanks Mike Martinez) offers comments about BlackSite: Area 51 from Harvey Smith (thanks nin). The game's producer says he would score the shooter sequel higher than its 69% GameRankings average, saying some of the more subversive elements of the game's storyline went unappreciated, but in a surprisingly frank assessment says he understands why the game was not well-received. Harvey cites lack of polish as a factor as the game jumped to final form shortly after reaching the alpha stage, and does not shy away from blame, saying he is to be faulted as the game was the less favored of the two projects he was overseeing during development. When asked why he was publicly knocking his own project so soon after release the man also known as Witchboy replied, "I believe in personal accountability."

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: So that's two and counting Dec 2, 2007, 11:44 Masa

Exactly what you fucking shafted us with when you raped the Deus Ex franchise into its grave.

Um...the DX franchise has been revived...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: No subject Nov 30, 2007, 23:14 Acleacius

[QUOTE=OneEye]as someone who was there I can say that statement is not true in any way.
I didn't believe it, but I don't recall hearing warren was much of a hands on designer as much as conceptual and in his most recent interview I saw, he mentioned about how the teams were very divided, as many of us remember back on the IS forums, well at least the rumors.

Additionally, I remember hearing how most of the team kept overriding harvey and warren, again which I recall reading from warrnen's interviews epically how he kept trying to get the optical interface in DX1.
Also I remember that things seemed to come to a boil about 8 months before shipping, when about half the team was released due to disputes and while I wasn't there, can't check the dead boards, I seem to recall warren did it to stop the constant fighting.
I as seem to recall that many of the departing team were not given credit, even though they stood up to bad design decisions made by harvey and warren, maybe because of this.

Unless it's an uncomfortable subject would you mind mentioning the number of team members cut in that last year?

Thanks.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language...they're not even real words as much as a succesion of violent images.

Stop. Lose all scripted responses. Improvisation only.

30. Re: No subject Nov 30, 2007, 07:43 Unzerpum

Harvey was a driving force in making DX1 what it was. The leads team of Harvey, Chris Norden (lead programmer) and Warren working together is what pushed the game over the top.

/signed

Glad to see Chris Norden getting some credit, too. Most people only think of Warren and Harvey, but I tend to think Chris was pretty integral to the success of DX1.

This comment was edited on Nov 30, 07:43.

29. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 21:04 Scottish Martial Arts

Ok... if that's true... then wtf happened to DE:IW?

Check OneEye's post history. He gave a pretty good write up of his DXIW experience a couple months back; it certainly helped me understand "wtf happened".

28. So that's two and counting Nov 29, 2007, 20:29 Creston

Lack of polish, Harvey? Boy, that sounds familiar. Exactly what you fucking shafted us with when you raped the Deus Ex franchise into its grave.

And now another shitty game.

Why the fuck do publishers keep giving you money to trundle out worthless crap?

Creston

Edit : As for cutting him some slack because he "owes up to it", please. He must be worried his days in the gaming industry are done, and so he's glorifying himself as some kind of "man of the gamers" who "takes accountability" in the hope that SOMEONE will give him another game to make fuck up.

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 20:31.

27. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 20:27 wtf_man

as someone who was there I can say that statement is not true in any way

Ok... if that's true... then wtf happened to DE:IW?
(Besides trying *cough* to go for killer graphics)

26. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 20:21 Charlie_Six

Me too. Well, I enjoy Oliver Stone films like JFK, Platoon, and especially Born on the Fourth of July. I'm still hoping for more games that's like those films. I thought Deus Ex 1 did a pretty good job of feeling "JFK"/"X-files"-ish.  
Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

25. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 16:36 JohnBirshire

I give props to the guy for having the balls to speak up and tell it like it is. Why spend 2-3 years on a project just to rush it at the end and screw up 3 years of investment. Publishers sometimes can't see the obvious. Publishers need to wake up and not throw projects away in the final days.

This shit happens all the time and devs don't speak up in fear of losing their jobs so good for him.

/sign

24. Eh? Nov 29, 2007, 16:31 JohnBirshire

His comments actually make me WANT to go buy this game. Nothing is more frustrating that producers and developers hyping their crap games to death when you know they are lying through their teeth.

Now if only Bill Roper could step up and admit the myriad array of mistakes they made with Hellgate:London, maybe they'd be respected more as well.

23. No subject Nov 29, 2007, 15:43 BrutalDeluxe

That's quite an incredible statement in light that the game is barely on the shelves as we speak, a statement that could very well be damaging to sales. I don't think this guy is going to have a AAA title to manage any time soon.

22. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 11:02 OneEye

Warren did most of the design... not Harvey. Warren kept him in check for DX1... then he was too busy doing Administrative crap for the studio to keep him in check for DX2.

as someone who was there I can say that statement is not true in any way.

Harvey was a driving force in making DX1 what it was. The leads team of Harvey, Chris Norden (lead programmer) and Warren working together is what pushed the game over the top. Plus the fact that basically no effort was put into 'killer super graphics'.

21. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 10:01 wtf_man

So true, he did such a shitty job as lead designer for Deus Ex 1. /Sarcasm

Warren did most of the design... not Harvey. Warren kept him in check for DX1... then he was too busy doing Administrative crap for the studio to keep him in check for DX2.

20. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 09:39 Overon

I don't mind politics in video games. I think there should be more of it. Even if I happen to disagree with the politics at least it will make the game more memorable.

19. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 06:08 The Half Elf

Because at the end of the day, the publishers say 'Ok we need this out now for the holiday sales'.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

18. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 03:20 HardCore

I give props to the guy for having the balls to speak up and tell it like it is. Why spend 2-3 years on a project just to rush it at the end and screw up 3 years of investment. Publishers sometimes can't see the obvious. Publishers need to wake up and not throw projects away in the final days.

This shit happens all the time and devs don't speak up in fear of losing their jobs so good for him.

17. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 02:48 manic half

wow, it had co-op and they removed it?

co-op is pretty much my single most wanted feature in any/all games.

it's funny to see it happen all the time tho isnt it, they rush a game out the door to meet sales but it's the public's fault for not seeing the beauty underneath.

edit - forgot to say i also think its good that he did speak out about it as he did. didnt mr spector do the same with invisible war?

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 07:03.

16. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 02:18 Darks

How about you all personally screwed the game over by also removing Coop that was being touted for the longest time. in fact I live only a few blocks away from Midway and the day John Romero got released from Midway I was there to see him and one of the games producers was there and we talked about Area 51. We talked about how Coop was being built into the game from the ground up. Now someone tell me how in the world can you remove this popular feature from a game that was supposedly being built into the game from the start? Sounds like lack luster bullshit to me on Midways part and more of lets rush it out the door so we can get those holiday sales at the cost of the eventually screwing the game over to no end which in turn causes crap tacular reviews.

Way to go Midway! And you all wonder why sales suck!

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

15. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 01:16 Jerykk

While I give props to Harvey for admitting so quickly that Blacksite sucks (why hasn't Midway sued him yet?), I am rather annoyed by his repeated emphasis on the whole "subversiveness" of the game. Really, does anyone even care about cliched political undertones? Gameplay > Politics.

14. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 00:56 ivor84

Hey Harvey, keep your politics out of my games kthx.
This comment was edited on Nov 29, 00:57.

13. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 23:29 Scottish Martial Arts

While that may be true... he's still a shitty game designer.

So true, he did such a shitty job as lead designer for Deus Ex 1. /Sarcasm

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo