Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Gears of War Patched

BeyondUnreal has word that a new patch for the PC edition of Gears of War is now available automatically via Windows LIVE. For those having issues with the auto-update dealie, this page offers the manual patch, accompanied by a note explaining why this may be the case: "The Gears of War for Windows Title Update fixes various performance issues, including the Games for Windows LIVE update issue." Additionally, this post outlines a registry hack for users who apply the update and lose personal preferences like resolution settings or cannot find custom maps on the map list.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. No subject Nov 29, 2007, 10:54 KilrathiAce

Couldnt play GoW using lan no matter what me and my friend tried.... We didn't want to use internet since we are on same network.... It didn't work no matter what...thats how good Microsoft is at making games for PC. Retirement.

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 10:55.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Tears Of Bore . . . dom PC Nov 29, 2007, 10:31 MMORPGHoD

Part of this GFW/Live flop for PCs is they're killing LAN and local connections so that they can control potential subscriptions if they ever feel the need to charge for anything online like they do for XBox. It's a bad trade off for PC users who actually end up with fewer options than they did in years past.

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 10:32.

14. Re: Tears Of Bore . . . dom PC Nov 29, 2007, 04:26 Roman

There is no cross platform play AT ALL.

You can play GOW for FREE but there is only a basic server browser and if you want to play with someone specific you search for gamertag. If you want to use friend invites and have friends only games you need Gold.

13. Gears of War Nov 29, 2007, 04:20 Kxmode

needs WD-40

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

12. Re: Tears Of Bore . . . dom PC Nov 29, 2007, 02:13 kyleb

Still no surround sound?

11. Re: Tears Of Bore . . . dom PC Nov 29, 2007, 00:54 PHJF

I heard Kane was a huge POS anyways.

According to X-Play, you need Live Gold to play vs. 360 in Gears; I didn't even think it was supposed to have cross platform play.

Again, I don't know how you are going to play online when nobody else does, much like Lost Planet. We have Quake Wars, TF2, UT3... why would you bother?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

10. Re: Tears Of Bore . . . dom PC Nov 29, 2007, 00:35 necrosis

Sorry to hijack the hell out of this thread but...

Lucky you, I bought Kane and lynch and was loking forward to the MP, unfortunately, XBOX live GOLD membership is required to play online. I can play CO-op in split screen on my PC If I have an xbox controller (and ONLY if i have a xbox controller).

Um, WHAT THE FUCK? Are you serious?

9. Re: Tears Of Bore . . . dom PC Nov 29, 2007, 00:10 Straylight

Lucky you, I bought Kane and lynch and was loking forward to the MP, unfortunately, XBOX live GOLD membership is required to play online. I can play CO-op in split screen on my PC If I have an xbox controller (and ONLY if i have a xbox controller).

So can anyone verify that you DO NOT need to pay for an xbox live account to play gears of war online?

8. No subject Nov 29, 2007, 00:03 Roman

Okay, after the patch the game runs a LOT faster on my low-end box (A64 3200+, 7600GT) and all the stuttering parts are no longer stuttering. If you were not happy with the performance of the game you need to give this one a shot.

Unfortunately, Vsync still doesn't work but the motion blur helps hide it somewhat.

7. Re: Tears Of Bore . . . dom PC Nov 28, 2007, 23:35 Roman

Even though the game has issues and is a GFW title I am extremely surprised the multiplayer portion of this game isn't at least moderately popular.

One huge problem with GFW Live is apparent if you read any comment/review section on Amazon/Gamestop.com/etc. A LOT of people think you have to pay to play like on the XBOX - they have no idea there IS free play (without matchmaking/friend invites), and pass on the game.

Integrating into XBOX Live isn't a horrible idea but they should have maybe used a different name for it instead of using the same brand name as a pay-to-play service.

6. Re: Tears Of Bore . . . dom PC Nov 28, 2007, 23:32 John

After looking at Carver's earlier posts, I have come to the conclusion that he is a disgruntled former Epic employee and is getting revenge by talking bad about GoW and UT3.

This space is available for rent

5. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 23:27 HoSpanky

and yet, this patch doesn't address the fact that the vsync option does...nothing.

I'd like to play this and not have headaches, thanks. if UT3 can do it, why can't this?

4. No subject Nov 28, 2007, 23:17 necrosis

Problem is there is no det. server. Hense lack of servers online.

3. Re: Tears Of Bore . . . dom PC Nov 28, 2007, 22:45 MuzixMon

Well I must admit "Games for Windows" ruined this game completely. It has had issues since day 1 and after this patch was applied it runs worse with some levels loading up to a black screen. Not to mention there are 2 online servers with a total of 5 people playing on the entire internet for PC! Even though the game has issues and is a GFW title I am extremely surprised the multiplayer portion of this game isn't at least moderately popular. Are PC gamers that different from the console boys who ate this game up and have a million people playing it online at any given time? Or is the game just broken and the multiplayer portion just don't work? I don't hate this game but I sure am disappointed in it. I said before in previous posts it was a good port but now the more I played it I have changed my mind considerably. Well we can forget any future installments of this game ever being on PC... oh well. MS might as well forget the whole GFW concept since it obviously doesn't work.

When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

2. Re: Tears Of Bore . . . dom PC Nov 28, 2007, 22:45 DrEvil

lol so does your... lol insightful response lol

1. Tears Of Bore . . . dom PC Nov 28, 2007, 22:29 Carver

lol

and you need a
registry hack
after you apply the patch !!

lol