Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Q&As

• Mark Rein
    The Unreal Man: Mark Rein Speaks on Gamasutra is a Q&A with the Epic spokesman about whether Unreal 3-engine games have a distinctive look, console development, PC/PS3 interoperability, mod support, and more.
  • RF Online
    WarCry Network's RF Online Q&A chats with Kyle Rowley and Chris Dye about the latest changes to the PvP MMOG.
  • Penny Arcade Adventures
    RPG Vault's Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness Q&A talks with Jerry Holkins of Penny Arcade and Joel DeYoung of Hothead Games about the upcoming PA game, which DeYong considers to be "hardcore," in spite of being an episodic adventure: "At Hothead, we're focused on making games for people who consider themselves hardcore, but who want games to allow them to play in the small chunks that their busy lives allow, and finish in a reasonable amount of time. Making the game episodic supports that very well."

View
3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

3. Re: Mark Rein Speaks . . . BS!! Nov 29, 2007, 21:13 Some Dude

As far as I know Microsoft is able to incorporate 360 and Windows development in one SDK package. Something like "flipping the switch" allows the game to compile to 360. Remember, most games are developed on a computer, then compiled and tested on the target console.

No. The XDK does integrate into Visual Studio, as does the SN Systems compiler for the PS3. The game is compiled on the PC using the compiler and libraries for that platform -- meaning that executable doesn't run on a PC. More on that below...

In theory all 360 games, perhaps even PS3 titles, could be released as Windows titles. I think the only reason this doesn't happen is the matrix of system specs to test against as compared with known specs consoles have.

It's not nearly as simple as saying "I wish to compile for Windows now". Each platform has its own way of doing things and you have to write a bunch of code to support each one. A game written for PS3 won't run -- won't even compile -- for Windows unless you supply all the Windows-specific code and then build that version of the project.

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 21:14.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2. Re: Mark Rein Speaks . . . BS!! Nov 29, 2007, 04:03 Kxmode

As far as I know Microsoft is able to incorporate 360 and Windows development in one SDK package. Something like "flipping the switch" allows the game to compile to 360. Remember, most games are developed on a computer, then compiled and tested on the target console. In theory all 360 games, perhaps even PS3 titles, could be released as Windows titles. I think the only reason this doesn't happen is the matrix of system specs to test against as compared with known specs consoles have.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/

TamperMonkey scripts: Hide Users on BluesNews, Min price Filter for SteamDB

1. Mark Rein Speaks . . . BS!! Nov 28, 2007, 22:45 Carver

We're known as a PC developer, so that's our main focus.

lol, I think there are a lot, and I mean a lot, of PC folks out there who would say that that statement is a load of BS, and that consoles are your main focus, and that the PC is being left in the background. Tears Of Bore . . . dom, and UT3, 2 cases in point. At least come out and say it, everybody knows it, why all the BS? I mean, it's understandable from a business point of view, that's where the money is, so why all the BS?

Just look at the interviews and stuff, it's all [most, 99%] about consoles, PS3, XB360, you can't tell me that consoles aren't Epics, and others, main target. But please, don't treat people as fools, just come out and say it. sheesh !!

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 00:15.

3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo