Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

Crysis Patch Status

An update on the Crymod Modding Portal has details on the promised Crysis Patch #1, though they are still not venturing to offer a release date for the first new version of Crytek's first-person shooter following its release. They say this will not be a major patch, with overall performance and adjustments to LAW and grenade balance in multiplayer the primary changes. The update also offers information for those having trouble acquiring their preorder bonus APC as well as a workaround for a weapon sound loop bug. Thanks McSterls.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 08:43 heartlessdeath

Far Cry, Crysis and STALKER all have one thing in common. poor gameplay

Elaberate on why you think this game has poor gameplay. i think that cryteck did an awsome job implamenting realtime strategy into the game instead of pause the game change your suit and gun settings and go back to game. all changes you make ingame are done while underfire. i will agree that after the alien ship things did turn into kill the boss. go a little further and kill another boss. i would look at Crysis as a window to future FPS that implement the video quality and realtime startegy as well as add even more qaulities and even better games. Crysis is a good example of a gateway game.

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 08:47.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 01:18 Scottish Martial Arts

The AI in Far Cry *seemed* a lot better but maybe that's just because it didn't have to "react" to cloaking super soldiers, just some guy in a Hawaiian shirt.]

I think that's the key thing. The AI is very weak however when you're at long ranged, cloaked, and picking them off one by one with a silenced, scoped rifle. If however you don't use cloak and engage the soldiers at medium to close range, they put up one hell of a fight, with some pinning you down and others flanking you via covered/concealed routes.

Meh, I agree that the game is hardly perfect but it's the only game besides Far Cry I know of that plays as sort of a firefight sandbox and that's something I'd like to see more shooters do.

21. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 00:56 PHJF

Far Cry was better than Crysis. The AI in Far Cry *seemed* a lot better but maybe that's just because it didn't have to "react" to cloaking super soldiers, just some guy in a Hawaiian shirt. Plus there are just TOO many moments of total retardism from these Koreans.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

20. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 00:01 The Half Elf

Basically what it comes down to in Crysis is the same thing in Far Cry. Once the Trigens/Aliens are introduced, there isn't alot of AI to speak of (baddy wise).

Once you get out of the Alien ship and are evacuating it goes from FarCry/Crysis to Halo 3 NPC babysitting.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

19. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 23:35 sponge

Huh, what? I thought the consensus was that other than the AI quirks it was a damn solid single player game? I certainly have had a fun time with it; we need more shooters that follow the Farcry/Crysis formula. I can't speak for multiplayer though, as I haven't tried it yet.

Yea, that was more or less the consensus. I still thought it sucked bad though. Multiplayer was even more painful for me. Loved Far Cry up until the stupid aliens, but Crysis was just a yawnfest.

Luckily, I got $30 out of it from selling it to a friend up in college here.

Big LOL at some of the other people throwing insults because I don't like a popular game, oh nos! YOU DON'T LIKE WHAT I LIKE, YOU DUMBASS.

18. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 23:09 Scottish Martial Arts

you are under the illusion that crysis is an open map.

I'm not actually. I'm aware that you can't go anywhere. The point is that you go go enough places that the map is effectively open. When you see an enemy checkpoint you can complete sidestep it if you choose, just head a couple hundred meters deeper into the jungle and skirt around it. Yes you still have a mountain range on your right and an ocean on your left, but you've got a lot of beach, jungle and hills in between, enough so that you actually have room to maneuver, enough to run away and break contact with your pursuers if the fighting gets too tough. This is something no other shooter I know of lets you do, except for Ghost Recon I suppose.

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 23:10.

17. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 22:46 zirik

Do you actually like developers railroading you on a given path? Isn't it a lot cooler for the game to say "here's your objective on the otherside of the map, get there how you choose and accomplish it how you choose"? Throw in some tense firefights and it makes a pretty damn good shooter in my estimation.

you are under the illusion that crysis is an open map. did you ever try swimming towards the warships? i bet you did not make it near enough to see the captain. the game still triggers scripted events. there is still 1 or 2 paths in crysis. its just that they made each path wider than most games.

16. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 22:04 Scottish Martial Arts

they all have one thing in common. poor gameplay.

Uh, I think you're probably the first person to ever say that Far Cry had poor gameplay. And I'd disagree about Crysis. It effectively mixes stealth and gunplay, and does so in huge open environments where you can take your own approach, not the 1 or 2 paths that the developers made. Do you actually like developers railroading you on a given path? Isn't it a lot cooler for the game to say "here's your objective on the otherside of the map, get there how you choose and accomplish it how you choose"? Throw in some tense firefights and it makes a pretty damn good shooter in my estimation.

15. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 21:57 zirik

Far Cry, Crysis and STALKER are the only shooters I know of to have open level design

they all have one thing in common. poor gameplay.

14. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 21:55 zirik

PunkBuster doesn't support x64 clients. PunkBuster never works anyways.

dont tell the devs punkbuster doesnt work. at least it is less invasive than securom.

13. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 21:24 Scottish Martial Arts

The game started out fantastic then sunk to the same old scripted A-B, fight a boss or two that is super strong same-old same-old, game with superior graphics. The Aliens sequences destroyed the game and took it back to mediocre.

I agree that the gameplay went downhill after you go into the alien ship. That said I thought that, despite their linearity, the evacuation levels did a really good job of evoking a "The shit has hit the fan and we are LEAVING!" feeling.

12. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 21:21 Scottish Martial Arts

uh, no please dont make every game like crysis.

Far Cry, Crysis and STALKER are the only shooters I know of to have open level design and that is something that I'd like to see a LOT more of. I've played enough corridor shooters.

11. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 21:07 zirik

we need more shooters that follow the Farcry/Crysis formula.

uh, no please dont make every game like crysis. its a glorified tech demo. story and gameplay are afterthoughts in these types of products.

10. No subject Nov 28, 2007, 21:05 Hump

I'm dying to jump into the multiplayer but theres a goddamned memory leak happening. Some are saying its due to punkbuster. until its patched though I can't play longer than 15 minutes before i have to restart the thing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

9. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 21:04 PHJF

Too bad there are hackers all over online games.

PunkBuster doesn't support x64 clients. PunkBuster never works anyways.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

8. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 20:50 Marvin T. Martian

The game started out fantastic then sunk to the same old scripted A-B, fight a boss or two that is super strong same-old same-old, game with superior graphics. The Aliens sequences destroyed the game and took it back to mediocre. Too bad the reviews reflect the hype instead of the reality.

As for SP bugs, many and often. A "work-around" that you have implement via the console when ever it occurs is hardly the the stuff a patch is made of.

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 20:51.

7. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 20:49 Yosemite Sam

Low, medium, high, very high details, I don't give a crap. It was an experience worth playing no matter what system you have, for more than just the graphics.

Ditto, I am playing on a P4 w\X800, so you know I'm at the lowest settings, and this game is so sweet that I'm not really missing the eye candy. Its so huge and alive and populated, and so far the levels kick friken ass.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

6. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 20:32 elefunk

Crysis is an amazing game, and I loved playing it from beginning to end, even though it was at 25fps. Stop bitching about the "inefficient" technology and actually play the game, you'll realize how stupid you were for thinking the game was unoptimized.

Low, medium, high, very high details, I don't give a crap. It was an experience worth playing no matter what system you have, for more than just the graphics.

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 20:33.

5. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 20:22 Scottish Martial Arts

20FPS, or 60FPS, Crysis still blows, though

Huh, what? I thought the consensus was that other than the AI quirks it was a damn solid single player game? I certainly have had a fun time with it; we need more shooters that follow the Farcry/Crysis formula. I can't speak for multiplayer though, as I haven't tried it yet.

4. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 19:46 sponge

Shaders are programs like anything else. There are x ways to accomplish something, and x-1 of those ways will not be the fastest.

What if there's a bug that's causing it to draw too much than necessary? What if there's something wrong in the LOD calculations? What is the graphics card is being held up while trying to sort rendered grass? There's a billion things that can go wrong and can be optimized.

Your argument that Crysis can't achieve large performance increase falls flat on its face at first glance.

[edit] 20FPS, or 60FPS, Crysis still blows, though

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 19:54.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo