Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 10:00 nin

I honestly cant think of any collection of games that would make the 360 an interesting buy

I'd say it depends on your taste and what you're interested in. I'm having a blast with:

Project Gotham Racing 4
Ace Combat
Mass Effect
Assassin's Creed
Rock Band/Guitar Hero 3

And I still have a ton of others I need to get back to...

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. No subject Nov 29, 2007, 09:31 TorTorden

I honestly cant think of any collection of games that would make the 360 an interesting buy. I had the original one, played halo on it. (fun but meh) got bored with splinter cell. and after that it's been collecting dust.
And I honestly havent gotten the feeling that the current generation of xbox games are anything better except mor graphics. and quite frankly I get enough of soldiers coated in turtle wax on the PC thank you (cod2,cod4).

So right now for me the 360 looks like a 300$+ paper weight\noise generator.
and for ps3, Why? so I can watch horribly artifacted "HD" movies and play mediocre games as well as being noisy as hell ? quite honestly I'l rather get a PS2 for 100$

My 0.02$

As for the nintendo, I think the shot themselves in the foot ages ago. By demanding a 10% sales revenue from 3rd party dev's. sure there realy wasn't an alternative to nintendo in the early years, but in a post ps1 world it doesn't hold water.
That pretty much explaines why only 1st party games are any good on the GC\wii. But quite frankly the graphics are not even remotely a problem for the wii imo. good fun, just not enough of it. (I played zelda\metroid\galaxy on my nephew's console. revenge is sweet.)

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 09:36.

----------------------------
Yes, I abuse grammar by opening my mouth.

23. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 18:27 Xenopulse

I read the whole long post.

*Hangs head in shame.*

22. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 17:35 Cabezone

Now that's a post I'll read

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 17:35.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

21. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 17:10 Ray Marden

WTF?

What, you expect me to just say the Wii is aimed more at kids, but will have a very small handful of titles of exceptional quality? While the 360 is a better all around pick due to its price and wider range of decent games? While the PS3 still fails on both regards?

But...that's no fun!
And I was due for a mega rambling anyway! Huzzah!
:o,
Ray

-----
I'm william Shatner and I'm a shaman - what's your game?
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

20. No subject Nov 28, 2007, 16:58 Cabezone

Holy shit Ray...who the fuck wants to read all that?

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

19. Re: PS3 and Xbox 360 Must Drop to $199 Nov 28, 2007, 15:32 Ray Marden

Well, I think it all comes down to expectations. For myself, the Super Nintendo was the last truly robust Nintendo system. From the Nintendo 64 and beyond, you only purchase a Nintendo system for the first-party games and the occasional (quirky or good) third-party game.

Knowing this, coupled with the low system price and early Nintendo games, the Wii was a no brainer at the time of purchase.

• The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess: A very good, less cartooney version of Zelda

• Super Paper Mario: A fun game, but a bit short and one that under-utilized it's 2D/3D gameplay. Because it went so extreme with the split, you ended up with less character interaction and limited levels (basically 3D hallways.) Still quite fun the first time, but nowhere near as good as the previous one.

• Metroid Prime 3: Corruption: More evolutionary than revolutionary, but still the best 3D Metroid game. The best controlling console FPS I have ever played.

• Super Mario Galaxy: Another fantastically amazing game in the Mario line. Just the smallest step behind Mario 64, but completely amazing and fun. Bioshock was cooler, but SMG is now my GotY. It is that good.

• It is only four games, but the amount of fun and the quality of these games has more than justified the purchase of my Wii. I do not see myself picking up the new Super Smash Bros. (moved, no gaming friends nearby,) but I know a lot of people that will have lots of fun with that. I want to pick up Zack & Wiki someday for $20 and I am curious to see how Nights: Journey of Dreams turns out (I never bothered with the previous game,) but my next big Wii game will be Mario Kart Wii.

From there, barring that next Zelda/Mario/Metroid game, I fully expect my Wii to gather dust. Again, you buy the Wii for the Nintendo games and do not expect anything else. But for $250 and for the amazing quality of these titles, it is completely justified, from my perspective. Ignore all the other crap - there are not that many games coming out for the system, the Wii remote is poorly/under-utilized in many games, the Wii remote is not ideal for many "classic" styles of control, and its graphics are nowhere close to those of the 360/PS3 - that is the key to those two systems "beating" the Wii.

If you had a very young child, I guess the Wii is the desired system, too. But how young are we talking about? I have been playing games since age four and a half and I was playing primarily "adult" games by age eight or so. I only ask because, even with my love of Nintendo, if a generic family was forced to have only one videogame system (for whatever reasons,) I still say the Xbox 360 is the "one" system to own. It has a very good market lead, you can easily acquire one, it cost less than the PS3, and it has a decent range of games. I actually purchased a Xbox 360 first simply out of being able to acquire a Wii (just the system - not some $700 package, you assholes.)

You cannot go wrong with the 360, but I do not know what its amazing games are. I really only have three core games:

• Gears of War: A competent game, but the "Halo" of the 360. Nice graphics, but not as good as everybody claims. Under-utilized its cover system, is not particularly dynamic, lacking in story, and very linear. Its biggest selling point is the cooperative play. It definitely needs a few tweaks before it could be called an amazing game.

• Viva Pinata: A very fun, unique game. My girlfriend really liked this game and it got her to be open to more gaming as well as giving us something we could play together (there is no cooperative play, but it's a non-penalizing game that is fun to experience and one we would swap the controller back and forth.) Of course, this is now available on the PC, making it less unique on the 360, though I think it would still attract more people in the television/couch scenario.

• Halo 3: I still have not played past the second or so level in this game. It is...okay, it seems to be better than the joke of the last game, but it really does not stand up to other FPS games (Bioshock, the various incarnations of Half-Life, etc.) It really is more of a multi-player game thana ny type of significant single-player game, though it does have co-op.

• From there, we went shopping on eBay and picked up Perfect Dark Zero (did not bother to play, it did not hold up well) and Kameo (competent, generic platformer, but nothing special.)

But that is it. Between the Wii and PC, there is not anything extremely special about the 360. Assassin's Creed? It is a multi-platform title, the reviews have fluctuated a bit, there seem to be some technical bugs, and I can wait for a PC version. Call of Duty 4? Another multi-platform release. Mass Effect? Besides my aversion to paying $60 for a console game, there seem to be some technical bugs, the combat is presented poorly, the A.I. is weak, etc. I actually will pick up Mass Effect at some point, but not until it is cheaper or, ideally, announced for PC (I can dream, can't I?)

Basically, the 360 is in the lead and has some decent games, but nothing I would call profound, fantastic, or amazing. But, because of all the possibilities, I do not think anybody can go wrong with it as their "only" system. I have, what, three possible games on my Wii before it rots? Even looking at the 360, I am potentially interested in The Darkness, Mass Effect, Condemned 2, Turok, Dark Sector, Grand Theft Auto IV, Too Human, Army of Two, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, etc. Most will suck, many are multi-platform, but the idea is that the 360 has a wide range of games and generally has them first and/or a very good version.
    Not to mention all the new games that will be announced.
    As much as I lament the 360, I do not know what to say about the PS3. If you want a Blu-Ray player, it is an easy rationalization. As a gaming machine, I still find it very lacking. Its cost does need to come down and, if I thought the 360 was weak in amazing games, the PS3 is lacking in even moderate games. What are its defining games? What is amazing about it? Even on the multi-platform front, it receives many games much later and/or of significantly inferior quality. I will not be picking one up until Metal Gear Solid 4 is out and, ideally, its price decreases.

Meanwhile, the PC is facing a huge number of issues (insane hardware cost, crappy ports, less support, sh*tty Vista, fragmented standards, etc.,) but it is still my preferred gaming platform. Besides the massive impact World of Warcraft has on my gaming, the PC still tends to offer many unique selections, heavily utilizes the mouse/keyboard control method, has more potential possibilities (even if routinely ignored,) and, for multi-platform releases, frequently has more customization options.

Wondering if I should delete the above and just put "TLDR" :o,
    Ray

Edit: Fixes here and there.
    -----
    I'm william Shatner and I'm a shaman - what's your game?
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
    I love you, mom.
    This comment was edited on Nov 28, 15:35.

Everything is awesome!!!
    http://www.kindafunny.com/
    I love you, mom.

18. Re: PS3 and Xbox 360 Must Drop to $199 Nov 28, 2007, 15:31 MMORPGHoD

Yeah, but to get a high-end PC you have to spend a lot more than $400. And you can connect the console to your 24" monitor.

Depends on whether or not you're going to have a decent PC anyways. Some companies even buy one for you to work from home. I wouldn't want a 24" flat panel in my living room, where I'd want to sit and play a console game. If I were to get a HDTV, it'd have to be something that's 45" or larger before I replace my existing 36" regular tv (which is acceptable for a Wii). The difference in price between a gaming PC and a 360 with a HDTV isn't much compared to the days of the cheaper consoles and console games.

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 15:33.

17. Re: PS3 and Xbox 360 Must Drop to $199 Nov 28, 2007, 15:10 John

I've never bought a 360 or PS3, because the high end PCs already have better graphics and I have a 24" flat panel instead of a HDTV that I know I'd never use.

Yeah, but to get a high-end PC you have to spend a lot more than $400. And you can connect the console to your 24" monitor.

This space is available for rent

16. Re: PS3 and Xbox 360 Must Drop to $199 Nov 28, 2007, 15:01 Tumbler

$199? We may get $299 for the premium systems eventually but getting prices that low seems unlikely anytime soon.

The Wii is a puzzle to me. People who don't care about games, as I understand them, want a Wii. I sold my Wii earlier this year because there was nothing I wanted to play on it. The graphics are hard to ignore when I'm jumping back to my 360 all the time and everything on the Wii feels "cutsy".

I liked some of the older NES games like punch out, excitebike, but the new content, Wii Games, coming out was never anything that interested me.

I find the controller more of a annoyance than anything. You think going from a Keyboard/Mouse to a controller is bad, try using a Wii mote/Knunchuck. You'll never complain about controllers again.

Ending Song on Portal:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjGfgV7rJHI

15. Re: PS3 and Xbox 360 Must Drop to $199 Nov 28, 2007, 13:23 MMORPGHoD

How long does the 'wow' factor last for newbies and kids, and how long does it last for owners of say a 360, PS3, or a PC Gamer?

From a user perspective, there aren't enough games to make the wow factor last. But when you have groups of people and family gatherings, it is always quite fun. Nintendo needs to get their butt in gear and get more games out there, but I think they seem to be currently content with the profits from the initial wow factor. PC owners, PS3 owners and 360 owners should wait for more games unless they just looking for group entertainment.

From a business perspective, the wii is a smashing success. They're making money off each box and a year later they still can't keep them on the shelves.

And how big is your catalog for the Wii?

Other than Wii sports, I own Zelda and Call of Duty 3 (I wanted to see how a FPS played with the wii controller). CoD3 is so-so, but the use of the controller was interesting. I'm also getting Super Mario Galaxy for the Wii.

The game I'm still waiting for is the one that lets you use the Wii controller as a light saber. As I understand, it's being developed. Something like that might get owners of other consoles to buy.

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 13:24.

14. Re: PS3 and Xbox 360 Must Drop to $199 Nov 28, 2007, 12:52 Teddy

How dare activision talk about lowering the price of a console when their GHIII game is 1/3 the price of a x360. IMO, the $60 games need a price drop. 50 dollar games for generations, and suddenly there is a price jump because of "next gen development costs"...my ass. We're used to consoles sold for 250-400 dollars, but we're not accustomed to games and accessories that add up to cost more than the system itself.

13. Re: PS3 and Xbox 360 Must Drop to $199 Nov 28, 2007, 12:21 Bronco

I was gonna mention store.nintendo.com, but it looks like they're no longer selling them...

I kick myself when I think back on the pre-Wii days. You could get a GC 4 wavebirds and a bunch of games for under $100 on ebay. Now they go for $45 and up used and $50+ new.

I looked into alternatives but they all received horrible reviews so I just bit the bullet and got two used and two new.

Now we can play GC Mario Kart AND virtual console games on them and I can skip the classic controller.

-TPFKAS2S

12. Re: PS3 and Xbox 360 Must Drop to $199 Nov 28, 2007, 12:06 nin

I still don't understand why Nintendo doesn't sell them in the states anymore but you can avoid the Ebay trap and get them from playasia for $40 each plush shipping.

I was gonna mention store.nintendo.com, but it looks like they're no longer selling them...

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1

11. Re: PS3 and Xbox 360 Must Drop to $199 Nov 28, 2007, 11:48 Bronco

And how big is your catalog for the Wii? Granted I bought a Gamecube for the Zelda game (and promptly sold it after completion), but are there any 'MUST HAVE' games for the Wii?

Not directed at me but I'll answer anyway.

We have at least 20 games from the GC era. The most notable is Star Wars Lego - it is soo much fun on a lot of levels. It was just re-released for the Wii combining both of the prior releases and now for one disc you get all 6 movies. I don't know how much Wiimote treatment it got if any, but either way it's worth picking up.

We have Wii play & sports, a Sonic Rings which my oldest son begged for and never plays, Madden - ok but a bit of a learning curve with the remotes and a few others that aren't coming to mind.

Coming in December we have Pokemon Battle Revolution, Super Mario Galaxy and strikers.

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn looks good.

One big thing to recommend to people considering getting the Wii and delving into the GC library - invest in 4 wavebirds. They aren't cheap but they sure do eliminate the clutter and allow you to place the console anywhere. I still don't understand why Nintendo doesn't sell them in the states anymore but you can avoid the Ebay trap and get them from playasia for $40 each plush shipping.

-TPFKAS2S

10. Re: PS3 and Xbox 360 Must Drop to $199 Nov 28, 2007, 11:39 Bronco

Everyone has a hard on for the Wii, but yet everyone I know that owns one never even turn it on anymore.

I think this has a lot to do with the age group you are talking about and what other methods the owners have to get their gaming fix.

Being a Gamecube owner prior to owning the Wii (we have tons of GC games to play) along with the downloadable older content (which is brand new and just as addictive as ever to my 3 boys) add to that the 4 or 5 Wii games we have...and the fact that my kids get to use it on weekends only (blame my wife not me for that)...you get pretty much constant use.

That said, I'm considering getting a 360 for myself this year.

-TPFKAS2S

9. Re: PS3 and Xbox 360 Must Drop to $199 Nov 28, 2007, 11:37 nin

How long does the 'wow' factor last for newbies and kids, and how long does it last for owners of say a 360, PS3, or a PC Gamer?

I think it's important to note that the nintendo is a system that is best experienced with more than one person. By yourself it's a good system (esp w/ the VC) but with a group of people, it's a riot...

The whole reason I bought a 360 after the nintendo was there was stuff on the 360 that was never going to make it over, thanks to exclusives...I don't regret buying the nintendo at all, and I wish I had more time for it, but most of my gaming time right now is split betwen the PC and the 360...

8. Re: PS3 and Xbox 360 Must Drop to $199 Nov 28, 2007, 11:18 The Half Elf

A few questions for Ray and MMORPGHoD,

And how big is your catalog for the Wii? Granted I bought a Gamecube for the Zelda game (and promptly sold it after completion), but are there any 'MUST HAVE' games for the Wii?

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

7. Re: PS3 and Xbox 360 Must Drop to $199 Nov 28, 2007, 11:07 MMORPGHoD

I have a Wii and I haven't touched it in 6 months. At $199 you aren't going to get a console that pushes the next gen ahead. I am sorry, but for $250, you get a Wii that looks and plays like the Gamecube did 5 years ago. I personally feel that the $300-400 range is much more realistic. Everyone has a hard on for the Wii, but yet everyone I know that owns one never even turn it on anymore.

You're not the in majority anymore, just like for the last 10 years as a PC gamer I haven't been in the majority.

I did buy a wii because of the hype and lower price point last year (plus I had a connection to get one when it was sold out) and I agree that the graphics are old. However, I didn't buy it for the graphics. I wanted to check out the controller and let me tell you it still has a wow factor when I show it off to gaming newbies or kids. That's what is going to tap into a market larger than any elite PC or console group could ever offer. I've never bought a 360 or PS3, because the high end PCs already have better graphics and I have a 24" flat panel instead of a HDTV that I know I'd never use.

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 11:10.

6. Re: PS3 and Xbox 360 Must Drop to $199 Nov 28, 2007, 11:04 Xenopulse

Meanwhile, how convenient how Activision made no mention of the $60 price for a game

Exactly! Buying a console is a one-time investment. But I have to buy new games all the time, and that shit adds up. With the PS2, I can get Greatest Hits games new for $20. How about it, Activision? Want to start that line for the next-gen consoles?

I agree that $300-$400 is much more realistic. It's like Activision saying, "Nvidia needs to drop the 8800GTUltra price to $100!" Yeah right. The price will drop over time, as new and better tech becomes available. But not for a while, and not beneath a certain point.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo