Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

etc.

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. No subject Nov 28, 2007, 17:03 Retired

I see GH the same as I do Harry Potter.

GH will get kids interested in creating music (I hope) that same way that HP got people reading again. I agree, understanding rhythm, timing, and patience in learning something like that will help.

Doesn't matter how it is done, it needs to be done.

Supporter of the Cell Phone Jamming movement.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Guitar Hero Nov 28, 2007, 16:49 Dan =0)

Agreed, I play guitar pretty well but suck at guitar hero. Something that GH can teach future musicians though is rhythm.

But yeah, I've seen some really good guitar hero players who use downstrokes only...you'll never play a real guitar like that and have it sound decent.

What I find saddening is that Guitar Center, a store that I consider sells professional music equipment, recently started selling GH3 with controllers...

Yes, I think it's nice that GH and similar games are getting people interested in "playing music" on some level, but the experience is not, as Jerykk Jeraxle pointed out, the same as playing on an actual guitar or other instrument.

Though, on another note (har har), I'd really like to get Rock Band, despite my roommates' indications that they would never even be caught dead playing that or GH...

(Unfortunately in my situation, acquiring new games/PC components is becoming more of a luxury right now...)

Dan =0)

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 16:50.

Shameless self-plug(s): http://drdk.bandcamp.com
http://drdkmusic.net76.net

2. Re: Guitar Hero Nov 28, 2007, 12:02 Pumas

Agreed, I play guitar pretty well but suck at guitar hero. Something that GH can teach future musicians though is rhythm.

But yeah, I've seen some really good guitar hero players who use downstrokes only...you'll never play a real guitar like that and have it sound decent.

V

How will I know limits from lies if I never try?

1. Guitar Hero Nov 28, 2007, 10:25 Jeraxle

Is tomorrow's Clapton playing 'Guitar Hero'?

Uhh..No.

There is a big difference between 'playing at' playing a guitar and actually playing a guitar. I have been playing for over 25 years now and consider GH to be a waste of time if you actually wish to become a musician.

Now that said, I agree with parts of the article in question. The author wrote in there that GH gets kids interested in guitar type music from the 70's etc. That is a good thing in my opinion. If it gets them interested in playing and they actually learn to play a real guitar, then I think that's great. However, knowing kids from this generation that are playing it, not very likely. Their ADD takes over coupled with their attention span of all of .2 nano-seconds and GH turns into a passing fad with them.

Edit: Grammar

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 10:26.

Adding signatures to message boards since October 7th, 2012.

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo