Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I enjoy the Mayberry quality of our little village, but someone needs to explain to the local citizenry that with about three street lights in the whole area that they need to be more careful when crossing the streets at night. Last night I avoided hitting a pedestrian in spite of his best efforts to remain in the shadows while crossing an intersection (at a traffic circle, no less), and I swear he never even noticed I was there. If I was someone like my father, for instance, whose advanced years have taken their toll on his night vision, this story would be about running someone over.

R.I.P.: Quiet Riot's Kevin DuBrow Remembered By Rockers.

Shadowy Links! Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Link of the Morning: How it Sucks.
Science: New Flexible, Transparent Transistors made of Nanotubes.
Night Horrors: The Perils of Parasomnias.
Media: Assassin's Creed: The Excitable Guard.
Reporter Attempts a Skateboard Trick.
Teh Funny: UserFriendly.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Assassin's Creed: The Excitable Guard Nov 29, 2007, 19:26 Kxmode

well at least he died happy!

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 15:53 kanniballl

I have Comcast and the refresh problem happens to me sometimes also. I have shown thousands of servers some nights, only 50 some nights, and none other nights. WTF

When that happens on Comcast though, do you loose Internet access entirely?

Unfortunately that's what happens here

At least the TV picture is nice (or at least better than my old Comcast picture).

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

30. No subject Nov 29, 2007, 11:25 Retired

I have Comcast and the refresh problem happens to me sometimes also. I have shown thousands of servers some nights, only 50 some nights, and none other nights. WTF.

Supporter of the Cell Phone Jamming movement.

29. No subject Nov 29, 2007, 09:03 Brainp0wa

R.I.P. Kevin. I hope they get you a really nice coffin...

...with solid gold-a, hubcaps-uh!

28. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 03:02 Fang

Sorry, I tried all those tips and none of them worked. And unfortunately, the talk about the firmware fixing the problem was posted last year. Given that it isn't out now, well, I'm not holding my breath.

That's probably why tips on how to convert the ActionTec to a bridge is listed on the front page of the DSL Reports FIOS forum. That's probably what you'll have to do if you want to use another router. I don't know if that will let you still get FiosTV.

I haven't pulled the trigger for FiosTV yet, since I've been waiting to see how this falls out. I'll probably just sign up with RCN HD now, and replace the router.
This comment was edited on Nov 29, 03:02.

27. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 01:01 PHJF

You're better off than I am. If I refresh my Steam list I get a total of not more than 50 servers.

FIFTY

It must be something from my new ISP, the former Adelphia. Time Warner bought them up (and I've had roadrunner for years, no problems at ALL) but they are still using the Adelphia servers and whatnot; even email isnt set up right, instead of my usual @neo.rr.com mail address I have to use @roadrunner.com (which collects forwarded mail from my ACTUAL email @adelphia.net) The guy said the servers would be done migrating or whatever early next year. I don't know if that's supposed to fix my server list in steam or what... but as it stands I'm totally gimped.

It definitely can't be something with my modem because it's the same Motorola Surfboard I had at the old place.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

26. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 23:46 kanniballl

Fang,

Check this out.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,16950921~start=20

Towards the bottom someone posted a solution for Steam, though it's not 100%. With some putzing you can disable the UDP flood protection which is what's killing Steam.

There is also talk of a supposed firmware update to fix the issue.

OK, thread-jacking complete (at least for me). Good night and good luck.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

25. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 23:36 Fang

Watch out with bittorrent, too. You'll have to disable DHT (in the options menu) and ip resolutions (right click on a resolved ip) if you are using utorrent/bittorrent.

24. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 23:27 kanniballl

Hey, kanniballl, can you check your FIOS router's model and revision number for me?

I downloaded a new firmware last night, and it now allows me to get ~2300 servers in the browser before crapping out.

Dang, got the problem to show up on mine.

I was able to do 3 full refreshes on TF2. On the 4th one I lost connection. I didn't know if it would come back automatically or not so I rebooted the router (which took less than a min). My earlier tests were with CS:Source but it was right after work so the server lists were probably smaller.

I guess revision C has the problem too? That kind of sucks. I guess I'll have to read up on workarounds, like if Steam has an INI setting to limit how many it retrieves.

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 23:28.

-Fry, Futurama

23. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 22:10 Fang

I'm running the same firmware, but I'm running hardware version 5A.

Also, in that link, its the second picture farther down the page in Fig. 1 for the older hardware.

Yeah, let me know if version C solves the problems with Steam. It's also a problem with bittorrent.

22. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 18:17 kanniballl

With kanniballl's success, I'm hoping that a new revision came out that they are now deploying that solves the problem.
I have the old housing from that review. Since you just got it, kanniballl, I assume you have the newer one.

Looked it up:
Firmware Version: 4.0.16.1.55.0.10.4.3
Model Name: MI424-WR
Hardware Version: C
Broadband Connection Type: Coax

As for the housing, that's what it "looks" like. Did the older one look greatly different? Because I usually have a bad eye for noticing stuff like that.

I'll try testing again later tonight when the server list will be longer.

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 18:21.

-Fry, Futurama

21. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 17:16 Fang

From other forums, I've heard Verizon is pretty good about replacing the router if you have a problem with it. Though I don't want to waste my time doing it, if its not going to solve the problem.

I noticed that ActionTec did release a newer revision of the router than the one that I have, with a spiffy new housing. But I'd like to find out if this solves the problem before I take the time to swap it out.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30022/51/

I have the old housing from that review. Since you just got it, kanniballl, I assume you have the newer one.

20. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 15:38 Kxmode

Huh, well, disabling the extensions only did one thing. Instead of opening two windows, it opened in one window, but separate tabs. But uninstalling two old themes seemed to do the trick. Dont ask me how, but that seems to have fixed the problem.

Firefox is really safe and secure but it's prone to spyware. In the future if you encounter similar issues perhaps it's spyware.

Anyhow I'm glad you "fixed" your problem.

-----
This comment was edited on Nov 28, 16:06.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

19. lich king Nov 28, 2007, 15:30 Kxmode

In the blur called Thanksgiving week I created the following
http://stage6.divx.com/user/Kxmode/video/1879124/Wrath-of-the-Lich-King-video-remix-%5Bwidescreen%5D

-----

18. No subject Nov 28, 2007, 14:49 strich

Huh, well, disabling the extensions only did one thing. Instead of opening two windows, it opened in one window, but separate tabs. But uninstalling two old themes seemed to do the trick. Dont ask me how, but that seems to have fixed the problem.

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

17. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 14:20 kanniballl

With kanniballl's success, I'm hoping that a new revision came out that they are now deploying that solves the problem.

Maybe at some point they'll replace them, at which point you could say "oops, I spilled some grape soda on it and it's no longer working "

When the FIOS guys saw our computer room, they laughed when they saw the DSL modem. Our block was a very early target for DSL and our house was the first on the block. So we had one of the original boxes. They were joking about how old it was (turning yellow), that Verizon went through a couple of models since, and how they'd only seen like 1 or 2 of those old units since they started migrating people's homes.

So maybe you/we just have to wait a few months.

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 14:26.

-Fry, Futurama

16. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 14:12 Fang

Yeah, port forwarding or DMZ won't solve this problem with ActionTec MI424WR routers. It's a "feature" that has been programmed into the router's OS that you can't change. It's billed as "flood protection" but my guess is that it's there to cover up a mistake in the hardware design.

Yes, I could replace it with my own router (I do have a Linksys WRT54G running DDWRT gathering dust on a shelf) but you can't replace it if you also get FiosTV.

15. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 13:58 kanniballl

Sorry, I'm at work.

However I did check the model number and it is what you listed in your question.

I don't know the revision. Will check tonight (I promise).

While in other forums I've read that some people are not having the problem, I wouldn't doubt that my testing just happened to occur when there were like "x - 10" game servers up, where x is the magic threshold that crashes the router.

Also, I hear setting as DMZ typically doesn't solve the problem, but my memory is a little fuzzy on that.

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 14:02.

-Fry, Futurama

14. No subject Nov 28, 2007, 13:53 Retired

Can't you just go buy your own router? Or port forward everything and setup a linux box to do your firewall? (IPCOP or Smoothwall works great)

Or mask all traffic over port 80 or 25?

Supporter of the Cell Phone Jamming movement.

13. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 13:50 Enahs

Setup your router so your gaming computer is in the DMZ (demilitarized zone, yes, they actually use this term for routers) outside of the protection system, just straight connection to the internet.

Also, a lot of routers have options where you can make links and such to load settings, so when you want to play put your self in the DMZ, and when you are not playing going back in the protected area.

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 13:50.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo