Child's Play

Child's Play has opened this year's charity drive:
Since 2003, over 100,000 gamers worldwide have banded together through Child's Play, a community based charity grown and nurtured from the game culture and industry. Over two million dollars in donations of toys, games, books and cash for sick kids in children's hospitals across North America and the world have been collected since our inception.

This year, we have continued expanding across the country and the globe. With over 45 partner hospitals and more arriving every month, you can be sure to find one from the map above that needs your help! You can choose to purchase requested items from their online retailer wish lists, or make a cash donation that helps out Child's Play hospitals everywhere. Any items purchased through Amazon will be shipped directly to your hospital of choice, so please be sure to select their shipping address rather than your own.

When gamers give back, it makes a difference!
View : : :
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Well, Sorry
Nov 4, 2007, 14:58
Re: Well, Sorry Nov 4, 2007, 14:58
Nov 4, 2007, 14:58

Whether health care is publicly funded (as it is in my country) or not, odds are good that diversions such as books or games are not higher on the list than things like infant warmers or even IV fluids. Might not be my cup of tea to try "Hanna Montana" on the DS - but if some kid enjoys it, good for them.

Any charity is good, and it's great if one donates to more than one charity a year - if this one doesn't float your boat, try www.nothingbutnets.net or any of the many other charities that help other regions with something other than entertainment.

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!
This comment was edited on Nov 4, 14:58.

Nov 4, 2007, 00:18
PHJF

Re: Well, Sorry Nov 4, 2007, 00:18
Nov 4, 2007, 00:18
 PHJF

I played Illusion of Gaia when I was in hospital for 3 weeks way back when.

Good times
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Nov 3, 2007, 18:43
Re: Well, Sorry Nov 3, 2007, 18:43
Nov 3, 2007, 18:43

yeah I erm do have to agree with Kosumo. If you asked me too buy a game which would then be auctioned the procedes of which would benefit people in NEEDFUL countries then fair enough.

The fact that pretty high up the list for Alder Hey (only place in my country) was 5 copies of "Transformers" and it's enough matter.

I mean for god's sake - they need copies of "High School Musical 2" to make people better???? It's not even out yet!

I honestly can't think of anything to make me more sick then the thought of whatching Troy, Sharp Pain and Ryan whilst I'm laid up in hospital bed. Ok so we can shout "Seen your tits" everytime Gabrielle comes on but that still doesn't make up for ryans hats.

BTW yes I have kids and yes one of them was at high risk of dying from menegitis. That one still DID not need to watch disney or play anything to pull through - and probably could not have done if they had wanted too.

If gamers wanna help we should organise a TF2 or CS $1 per frag day. Everyone enters their credit card details and everytime someone kills someone else a dollor goes to unicef or another like-minded charity. (hehe fatal1ty can afford it with his profile).
This comment was edited on Nov 3, 18:51.

Well, Sorry
Nov 3, 2007, 15:31
Well, Sorry Nov 3, 2007, 15:31
Nov 3, 2007, 15:31

I'm sorry, I don't believe I explained myself well.

I shall try again but am prone to failure.

I was more so being sinarcal about how I feel that there was spin put on this to make gamers feel great about giving and its now global reach. It is good to give and aplogise for besmerching that virtue.

I dont live in the USA, but I have herd of the place once or twice, even been there briefly. Entertament and more so computer games are a sign of a well develop, modern country. If that is so, I would say that the issue of health care should be taking as a whole, and the funding of it as an imendent priority for/by the people i.e. your taxes should give free health care to all.

Aussie are not short on money, they are keen to host every world class sports events and are about to embark on to new found highs of 'being moneyed up' on the smell of uranium.

My remakes regarding taking $10 out of my wallet was more a refrence to the money stay in the well off economy than going to the more in need, the place where many children are needing help and there is no money in the tax system to do so. After all, here in New Zealand, I claim my tax back on charitable donations, and on that note I will donate to this charity drive due to my own good health and respect for Bluesnews.

This comment was edited on Nov 3, 16:15.

Re: Good luck to them
Nov 3, 2007, 14:04
Re: Good luck to them Nov 3, 2007, 14:04
Nov 3, 2007, 14:04

I've already purchased two items (a book & a game) from the list for my local hospital. This is a good cause - gamers are generally positive helpful folks, (and not pricks like Kosumo), and it's good to demonstrate that once in a while.

Nov 3, 2007, 12:39
Re: Good luck to them Nov 3, 2007, 12:39
Nov 3, 2007, 12:39

When I take $10 out of my wallet, turn it around, and put it back, it makes a difference.

Glad all gamers dont share your attitude about sick kids, but hey what do you care right?

Nov 3, 2007, 10:54
Re: Good luck to them Nov 3, 2007, 10:54
Nov 3, 2007, 10:54

When I take $10 out of my wallet, turn it around, and put it back, it makes a difference.

You have a pc, you have internet, you probably have a home, and you don't have a life threatening disease........and 10 is a "difference" to you?

Prick.

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

Nov 3, 2007, 09:35
Re: Good luck to them Nov 3, 2007, 09:35
Nov 3, 2007, 09:35

I'll be your friend to the end

Nov 3, 2007, 07:57
Re: Good luck to them Nov 3, 2007, 07:57
Nov 3, 2007, 07:57

I take it you are not an American. Or at least not that educated about the US.

There are plenty of poor locations listed on that map. They even have two sites listed in New Orleans.

It's all about helping kids who are sick, usually from cancer. Hospitals do plenty of charity work, especially for poor kids who need cancer treatment.

Good luck to them
Nov 3, 2007, 05:55
Good luck to them Nov 3, 2007, 05:55
Nov 3, 2007, 05:55

I thought of donating, went to web site, seen the map of countries/hospitals, decided not too.

None of those places are poor, they all play games.

When gamers give back, it makes a difference!

Re: charity
Nov 3, 2007, 03:18
Kxmode

Re: charity Nov 3, 2007, 03:18
Nov 3, 2007, 03:18
 Kxmode

thanks for the info bro

-----
http://www.myspace.com/kxmode
p/reviewer for Game Industry News
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Re: charity
Nov 2, 2007, 21:32
nin

Re: charity Nov 2, 2007, 21:32
Nov 2, 2007, 21:32
 nin

Does anyone know what happens if M-rated video games are donated, or video games in general? Does this charity even take video games given all the negative bashing in recent years?

In the past, I believe you picked the Hospital you wanted to support, and then were taken to an Amazon wish list based on that hospitals needs. So items are pre screened, if you will...

They're good guys, and it's a great cause.

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu

charity
Nov 2, 2007, 21:00
Kxmode

charity Nov 2, 2007, 21:00
Nov 2, 2007, 21:00
 Kxmode

Does anyone know what happens if M-rated video games are donated, or video games in general? Does this charity even take video games given all the negative bashing in recent years?

-----
http://www.myspace.com/kxmode
p/reviewer for Game Industry News
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older