Tabula Rasa Launches

NCsoft announces that Tabula Rasa is in stores, and the blank-slate MMORPG from Ultima creator Richard Garriott is now live. There's an article-format Q&A with Mr. Garriott on the New York Times discussing the launch and there's also a Q&A with UI designer Christofer Strasz on GamingHeaven. The announcement came yesterday (a day early) so here is an excerpt, carefully aged for timeliness:
AUSTIN, Texas, November 1, 2007— NCsoft®, the world’s leading developer and publisher of online computer games, announced today that Richard Garriott’s Tabula Rasa®, a massively multiplayer online (MMO) game for the PC where players are thrust into an exciting intergalactic struggle, launches commercial service in North America and Europe on November 2, 2007.

“Now the fun begins! I can’t wait to join thousands of other players in this exciting galactic war,” said Richard Garriott, the game’s executive producer. “It is time for us to release Tabula Rasa to the players. I am eager to see player reaction to the game, and am ready to build on what we’ve started here. We’ve got plans for new features and expansions for the foreseeable future and I’m hoping the players will enjoy the game and get excited about what’s in store for them next!”

Tabula Rasa, one of the most anticipated PC titles of the year, is the vision of gaming legend Richard Garriott. The game combines a rich game world and deep storyline with military combat and fast paced action. Set in a near-future science fiction backdrop, players must fight to save humanity against hostile alien enemies trying to gain control of the universe.
[…]
The game introduces several innovative elements to massively multiplayer online games, including a Character Cloning System™ that allows players to explore different character classes without having to create a new character, and dynamic battlefields where players feel the frenetic action of combat in an ongoing war.
[…]
The standard edition box of Richard Garriott’s Tabula Rasa will be available at major online retailers at an expected retail price of $49.99 and at the PlayNC® store (https://secure.plaync.com/cgi-bin/Store.pl). Customers will be able to purchase the Limited Collector’s Edition box from major retailers at an expected retail price of $69.99. Both products include the first month of online game play. After the first month, players will be charged a monthly subscription fee of US$14.99. Sixty-day game time cards will also be available at many North American retailers for an expected retail price of US$29.99. The game is rated Teen by the Entertainment Software Rating Board.

For more information about Richard Garriott’s Tabula Rasa go to http://www.rgtr.com. For more information about the Limited Collector’s Edition go to http://www.plaync.com/us/news/2007/08/ncsoft_reveals_2.html. For more information regarding NCsoft’s relationship with Dell go to http://www.delllounge.com/gaming/tabularasa/.
View : : :
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

No subject
Nov 5, 2007, 02:36
No subject Nov 5, 2007, 02:36
Nov 5, 2007, 02:36

"All games are a waste of time. It's not solely the realm of MMO's. We play games to distract us from real life."

All non-reproductive sex is a waste of time ...oh wait, its fun.

Re: To Mr Garriott
Nov 3, 2007, 04:58
Re: To Mr Garriott Nov 3, 2007, 04:58
Nov 3, 2007, 04:58

Yes me to. Good luck Mr. Garriott. I'll only buy your game if the reviews are great.

This comment was edited on Nov 3, 04:58.
Perpetual debt is slavery.

To Mr Garriott
Nov 2, 2007, 20:45
Kxmode

To Mr Garriott Nov 2, 2007, 20:45
Nov 2, 2007, 20:45
 Kxmode

I sincerely wish you all the best with your first product since Origin. I hope you, your company, and the fans find some modicum of success and happiness.

-----
http://www.myspace.com/kxmode
p/reviewer for Game Industry News
This comment was edited on Nov 2, 20:46.
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Re: No subject
Nov 2, 2007, 19:55
Re: No subject Nov 2, 2007, 19:55
Nov 2, 2007, 19:55

Depending on the game, you can learn how to effectively manage resources, how to respond socially in ways that relate to the 'general' world, and outrun the police. All useful things depending on the circumstances.

Yeah dude if I ever need to I could TOTALLY fly an X Wing to fight against the empire.

I've learnt to shout pwned at my manager everytime he makes a really stupid mistake (daily) and then T-Bag him.

You forgot to mention single handidly turning the tide of WWII (something the americans really do think they did - not being sarcastic this time)

No subject
Nov 2, 2007, 19:03
No subject Nov 2, 2007, 19:03
Nov 2, 2007, 19:03

You guys are all acting like games have no application to the 'real' world at all - though I would remind you that games do indeed exist, so they are also real..

Depending on the game, you can learn how to effectively manage resources, how to respond socially in ways that relate to the 'general' world, and outrun the police. All useful things depending on the circumstances.

No subject
Nov 2, 2007, 18:15
No subject Nov 2, 2007, 18:15

Just more MMORPG schwag its all been done to death.. pass.

No subject
No subject Nov 2, 2007, 18:15

Uh, it's a game. It's sole purpose is to entertain you and be a time killer. An escape from the real grind - your life. and if you real life isn't a grind, you wouldn't be wasting time playing games. you'd be out in the sun or with your kids and family. how we choose to waste our time is our own decision.

Nov 2, 2007, 18:07
Re: No subject Nov 2, 2007, 18:07
Nov 2, 2007, 18:07

All games are a waste of time. It's not solely the realm of MMO's. We play games to distract us from real life.

If you take that point-of-view, all entertainment is a waste of time.

It's a matter of what is a more effective waste of time. Games like Half-Life aren't considered great because of their length. It's their ability to tell a compelling story. On-line games often get their power because every time you play the story is unique.

The MMO grind takes a long, long time with little return. At the end of 12 hours playing God of War, you've been taken on an epic journey. After 12 hours in an MMO, you've seen or accomplished relatively little. You may have been awarded some in-game items, but what can you take away with you once the computer is off?

Nov 2, 2007, 17:39
Re: No subject Nov 2, 2007, 17:39
Nov 2, 2007, 17:39

I tried it during beta.. but it never drew me in. I never really knew what there was for me to aspire to, what to look for, what was coming next.

example:
In WoW (hey, don't run off yet)..
I knew there were mounts, blue weapons, awesome new lands I got a peek of while flying over, raids, a deep storyline, huge crafting side, new dungeons. etc..
the devs and fans from WoW let me know all that was out there. In all the material I read about TR, I never got excited for what was next.

Also, the quirky FPS style, yet not really FPS didn't work for me. The inventive new UI was worse than WoW's. Where was my vehicle? Why did every mob I run across seem to aggro randomly or not? Also, the world seemed empty in general.

it also had a "feel" like a cheap MMO, like Auto Assault or CoH.

Nov 2, 2007, 16:00
Re: No subject Nov 2, 2007, 16:00
Nov 2, 2007, 16:00

Yes PHJF you hate them we know, but how is it any better posting post after post on how much you hate them?

Nov 2, 2007, 15:46
PHJF

Re: No subject Nov 2, 2007, 15:46
Nov 2, 2007, 15:46
 PHJF

MMO's are BAD for gaming, that's why. On the heels of EQ and WoW devs/pubs shifted focus to MMO as a way to simply make more money. Devs could have been making real games but were delegated to milking the next cash cow.

MMO's are good in concept, but execution is stagnant and far below what warrants their existence. Fed Ex questing, horrifically bland combat, poor character development, lack of plot, lack of post-launch progress, bad PvP, small worlds, the list goes on. They're just bad games.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Nov 2, 2007, 15:20
Re: No subject Nov 2, 2007, 15:20
Nov 2, 2007, 15:20

So if someone has fun playing an MMO rather than a single-player game, who the hell cares? Ultimately it's up to that individual to decide how much of their life they want to waste away on their gaming habit.

Yeh, but when that realization hits you it feels like a friggin garbage truck: the time spent, hours lost, how much of a grind-fest it truly is, etc.

I've played a few MMORPG's with lukewarm enthusiams, but the one that really got me sucked in was City of Heroes. At my worst I'd play like 3-5 hours every work-night and LOADS over the weekend.

Finally the taste for it went sour almost overnight, I don't know what caused it but I'm grateful to the powers-that-be.

In that instant I practically wept when I started counting up all of the time I dedicated to that game. It wasn't so much the time, but realizing how much of it was dedicated to grind. Sure, at the time it seemed fun but at that point I couldn't fathom how it could have seemed so enjoyable.

Since then I've also cut back my gaming habits considerably, and a few months later I started leaning towards consoles more.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama
This comment was edited on Nov 2, 15:21.
"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

Nov 2, 2007, 14:33
Re: No subject Nov 2, 2007, 14:33
Nov 2, 2007, 14:33

All games are a waste of time. It's not solely the realm of MMO's. We play games to distract us from real life.

Exactly. As if playing game X for 100 hours is somehow more productive than playing game Y. WTF?

NWN2
Nov 2, 2007, 14:16
NWN2 Nov 2, 2007, 14:16
Nov 2, 2007, 14:16

Here a good RPG period.And the mask of betrayer expansion makes it even better. It has companions that atually comment on your progress and you can dl free content for this forever. And the graphics look better than any mmorpg thats out.

Best RPG of the year and yes I have Witcher its real good but not as replayable as NWN2.

No subject
Nov 2, 2007, 14:08
No subject Nov 2, 2007, 14:08
Nov 2, 2007, 14:08

So if someone has fun playing an MMO rather than a single-player game, who the hell cares? Ultimately it's up to that individual to decide how much of their life they want to waste away on their gaming habit.

Re: Anyone still playing?
Nov 2, 2007, 13:45
PHJF

Re: Anyone still playing? Nov 2, 2007, 13:45
Nov 2, 2007, 13:45
 PHJF

Instead you would rather play something you finish in 12 hours that will never get updated content.

"updated content" he calls it.

OMG, new tier 123402 epics. Rejoice. Now I can pay for 6 more months until I get the new ph47 l00t. then they'll release tier 123403 epics and I can do the whole thing over. It's a grindfest designed to keep you paying them for fucking tidbits of what you call "content". Please. CRPG any day of the week.

Oh but Tabula Rasa has such a great story!

Delivered EXLUSIVELY in long-winded, non-voiced dialogs with countless worthless NPCs. Fucking fantastic. I'm definately giving Garriot all my money.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Nov 2, 2007, 13:39
Re: Anyone still playing? Nov 2, 2007, 13:39
Nov 2, 2007, 13:39

Cliff Blezinsky, but I wouldn't really call him a fool.

You're only as good as your last game. And Tabula Rasa sucks, plain and simple.

Watch Code Monkeys. It's really f-n good.

Ending Song on Portal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjGfgV7rJHI
(Composed by same guy who wrote Code Monkeys Song)

Nov 2, 2007, 13:08
Re: No subject Nov 2, 2007, 13:08
Nov 2, 2007, 13:08

"I have learned a lesson while back about MMORPG games... Huge waste of time and lot of repetition. I doubt this will change my view of them."

Instead you would rather play something you finish in 12 hours that will never get updated content.

Makes perfect sense. I see you really know what you are talking about. Good game

Nov 2, 2007, 12:52
Re: Anyone still playing? Nov 2, 2007, 12:52
Nov 2, 2007, 12:52

"This game sucks hard...and what kind of fool designs a 'shooter' with no first person mode? "

Cliff Blezinsky, but I wouldn't really call him a fool.

Nov 2, 2007, 12:29
Flo

Re: No subject Nov 2, 2007, 12:29
Nov 2, 2007, 12:29
 Flo

Been playing WoW trial and Dungeons & Dragons online Trial. Having played UO,EQ, DaoC and EVE I can now tell you that DDO is the best MMORPG for me. You see, I don't like running around for hours and killing the same monsters over and over again. I like good quests and DDO gives me fine quests and excellent dungeon atmosphere. Now I don't know if it's worth the 15 bucks a month since it's basically one big city with instanced dungeons but somehow this game did it for me.
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older