Empire Earth III Demo

A demo for Empire Earth III is now available, offering the chance to sample Mad Doc's installment in this RTS series that's due in stores on November 6. The single-player demo includes three maps and a tutorial, and word is: "The demo is your first chance to play the new Earth-shattering World Domination mode. Build an enduring empire across an entire globe that is yours to conquer as you command your armies through the span of human history and beyond. Charge Through The Ages. Command Your Empire. Conquer The Earth. Empire Earth III your quest for world domination begins November 2007." The 1.6 GB demo is available on the Empire Earth III Website, and mirrored on ActionTrip, AtomicGamer, ComputerGames.ro, FanGaming, FilePlanet (registration required), FileShack, Gamer's Hell, GameSpot (registration required), Internode Games Network, and Strategy Informer.
View : : :
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: No subject
Nov 2, 2007, 02:30
Re: No subject Nov 2, 2007, 02:30
Nov 2, 2007, 02:30

real commanders in real wars had little control over the end units. In napoelonic times you had to hand a written note to a guy on a horse, and hope the commander who got the note 20 minutes later did what he was told, and indeed, was alive to read the note. The idea that commanders instructed everyone what to do and they just did it has always been a fallacy. great generals in history managed to win battles despite such problems.

No subject
Nov 1, 2007, 20:56
No subject Nov 1, 2007, 20:56
Nov 1, 2007, 20:56

As he said, being a commander doesn't mean you micromanage each and every move your units make. You should be able to give them basic orders and watch them carry them out. I think that if the AI reached a point where your units were competent enough to use their skills in an extremely effective manner with no micromanagement from the player it would add up to an incredible strategic experience, freeing the player up to focus on larger strategies.

Remember, it's real time STRATEGY, not real time TACTICS. No real commander controls troops on the tactical level.

No subject
Nov 1, 2007, 18:52
No subject Nov 1, 2007, 18:52
Nov 1, 2007, 18:52

LoL, play Wc3 and have fun hoping your units do everything for you. Wc3 is the game that defines the logic of dancing your units and micro to the point. In Wc3, losing 1 unit can cost you your army or the match. That's where the true playas are.

Nov 1, 2007, 18:32
PHJF

Re: No subject Nov 1, 2007, 18:32
Nov 1, 2007, 18:32
 PHJF

what, you want AI to take over for you? You have direct control of units. That's what an RTS is. If your units are getting slaughtered it's because you're too stupid to know when to send in the proper units.

or you aint got shit for micro.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Nov 1, 2007, 16:52
Re: No subject Nov 1, 2007, 16:52
Nov 1, 2007, 16:52

RTSes are generally portrayed as more grown-up games, so when will they grow up themselves?

Dude, good point. Like me, they probably never will though... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU ASSHOLE... NEVER I SAY, NEVAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!1111

Ummm. Yeah.

Nov 1, 2007, 15:52
Re: No subject Nov 1, 2007, 15:52
Nov 1, 2007, 15:52

^^ this

Ever since playing Rise of Nations, I've found myself frustrated with everything else out there. One of the biggest refinements is getting mixed groups of units to move in formation. There's even options (box, line, wedge, siege) that cause your troops to arrange themselves based on unit types, and a simple mousewheel scroll while clicking to set direction changes the width of the formation (thicker vs longer line). I've watched thousands of units over dozens of games, mostly AA or scouts, who will blindly barrel into the enemy and get pulverized, while all the heavies are stuck two screens back. It makes working with a mixed force an exercise in frustration, especially when the fast units provide unique cover (again, AA units). C&C3 would have been twice as much fun if I didn't have to babysit my troops every single time they moved through hostile territory, and the fact that strategies have evolved to take advantage of this stupidity makes it clear that this is a necessary evolutionary step.

That is a big enough change in itself, and there are a dozen other things that RoN (and Rise of Legends, the decent-but-not-great sequel) do right that nobody else seems to have picked up on. I still can't help but feel that everyone is living in the shadow of the original Command and Conquer, afraid to step out too far because C&C is a perennial seller. Supreme Commander was interesting for a bit, but the issue from the paragraph above struck over and over again. The crazy zoom made for a nice view of the battlefield and meant you could hop around quickly, but it only exacerbated the issues with pathfinding and the grouping mentioned above. How long will it take before the lone soldier getting shot at the edge of your force is smart enough to tell the guy next to him 'Hey, I'm getting shot, help!' or your parked units are smart enough to either back up or go to investigate when getting shelled from off-screen?

When I play an RTS game, I'm put into the position of Commander. I shouldn't also be saddled with the titles of Babysitter, Mollycoddler, Physical Therapist, or Basic Survival Skills and Common Sense Dictator. RTSes are generally portrayed as more grown-up games, so when will they grow up themselves?

Nov 1, 2007, 15:49
Re: No subject Nov 1, 2007, 15:49
Nov 1, 2007, 15:49

I love(d) Rise Of Nations. The AI got old after a while though.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

Nov 1, 2007, 14:37
Re: No subject Nov 1, 2007, 14:37
Nov 1, 2007, 14:37

I'm sure it's a great game.
But seriously, have these people never heard of Rise of Nations?

I'll probably give it a whirl.

Nov 1, 2007, 13:56
Re: No subject Nov 1, 2007, 13:56
Nov 1, 2007, 13:56

yawn.....another strategy games.

i used to love strategy games......now it feels repetitive or too complicated to have fun.

Nov 1, 2007, 13:26
Re: No subject Nov 1, 2007, 13:26
Nov 1, 2007, 13:26

Obviously you haven't seen what happens to people who post just to link to their own sites.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
Help Fix The Broken Xbox Live Marketplace: http://brokenxblm.blogspot.com
Parallax Abstraction
Twitch | YouTube | Podcast

No subject
Nov 1, 2007, 13:12
No subject Nov 1, 2007, 13:12
Nov 1, 2007, 13:12

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 1, 14:55.
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older