Out of the Blue

It was interesting watching the Giants play in England yesterday, though a soccer pitch is an odd place to play the other kind of football, as the intentionally slick nature of the grass on a pitch combined with the rain to create a bit of a circus. The weirdest thing, however, was the fans all blowing whistles; from the cheering, the British audience clearly understood the nuances of the game, but seemed unfamiliar with how whistles have an official role in the game. There were more than a couple of instances where players seemed to stop before the play was over, presumably due to the whistles.

R.I.P.: Country star Porter Wagoner dies at 80.

Pitched Links! Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Extreme Hangman. Thanks Neatorama.
Stories: Video puts Canadian part of falls in US.
Idea Lab - Gender - Names.
Science!: Reimagining the Automobile Industry by Selling the Electricity.
Auction: Space rocks go under the hammer.
Images: Team Fortress Classic Halloween Costumes. TF2. Thanks Flying Penguin.
WoW Pumpkin Makes Us Say WOW.
Portal Pumpkin. Different one.
Media: More amazing can tossing.
Best of Conan O'Brien.
Follow-up: Lunar rover flies, then falls. The latest on Armadillo.
Teh Funny: ActionTrip Comic Strip: A Design Too Sophisticated to Comprehend.
View : : :
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: No subject
Oct 30, 2007, 10:37
Re: No subject Oct 30, 2007, 10:37
Oct 30, 2007, 10:37

Also why are Americans so surprised that English people who paid a lot of money to attend an American Football game actually knew something about the sport. We do have several leagues over here you know.

Then you all should have shown better sportsmanship - who the FUCK brings a whistle to a game?

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

Oct 30, 2007, 08:04
jon
Re: No subject Oct 30, 2007, 08:04
Oct 30, 2007, 08:04
jon

As everyone else seems to be saying:
whistles at sports matches are a fact of life in England, deal with it.
Rain is a fact of life playing sport in the Winter in London. deal with it.
I've played American Football in England from the age of 8 to 21 including 2 national title wins as an O-Lineman. We always played in the winter on grass, it's a part of the sport in this country.

Also why are Americans so surprised that English people who paid a lot of money to attend an American Football game actually knew something about the sport. We do have several leagues over here you know. The booing on the final kneeldowns was a factor of English sporting nature. We like to see the teams play the match out. The Dolphins were making a valiant comeback. If the Giants had the guts to keep playing they could have still made it. I guess that's why they didn't, but that's what that was all about.

HL2
Oct 29, 2007, 18:26
Enahs

HL2 Oct 29, 2007, 18:26
Oct 29, 2007, 18:26
 Enahs

To restate from like Saturdays OotB or something.
I have a HL2 gift on steam account, has anybody still not played HL2 yet and want to?!

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Oct 29, 2007, 17:08
Re: No subject Oct 29, 2007, 17:08
Oct 29, 2007, 17:08

No reason to run the score up like they did.

Did you see the Patriots-Colts game in last year playoffs? Biggest come back in playoff history. So I'm sure the Patriots know they can never let their guard down. The Redskins are a pretty good team.

Also, for the second string players, they know they have to play well if they want to get a chance at a starting job. So when you see the second string guys still trying to score, they are just trying to do their jobs.

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 17:08.

Re: Whistles
Oct 29, 2007, 15:40
Cutter

Re: Whistles Oct 29, 2007, 15:40
Oct 29, 2007, 15:40
 Cutter

It's not like the officials don't use whistles for soccer. The English fans were just being jerks. Someone forgot to tell them that the Jerkstore called...

Anyway, Pack v. Broncs tonight. Woo, go Pack!

"It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."
- Hunter S. Thompson
"If you're going through Hell...keep going."
- Winston Churchill

Whistles
Oct 29, 2007, 15:39
Whistles Oct 29, 2007, 15:39
Oct 29, 2007, 15:39

Crowds whistle in the UK. You'd have thought the coaches would have done their research and educated their players on what to expect.

No subject
Oct 29, 2007, 14:09
No subject Oct 29, 2007, 14:09
Oct 29, 2007, 14:09

Those TF2 costumes pwn!

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

No subject
Oct 29, 2007, 13:24
No subject Oct 29, 2007, 13:24
Oct 29, 2007, 13:24

Spent the weekend in Wisc. - future bro-inlaw is back from Iraq. We walked the property looking for some small game (partridge were elusive, but it was worth some laughs) and checking the deer stands and blinds for next month....got a nice sized rabbit and I must say, my dogs were like kids in a candy store. They loved it. After feeding them rabbit, they were on their best behavior, I guess they thought I was going to give them more.

Hopefully they can go in the field with us next time, as the gunshots didn't seem to bother them too much, and now they know what we are looking for from the scent of the rabbit. Be easier if they flush the game out for us, trying to get a partridge or a rabbit in those Wisc lowlands - ugh. I think we killed more trees than I care to count.

/edit: Will be a good season (and has been for wildlife) with the amount of rain. The sheer number of bear and deer tracks, along with the number of birds we saw - looks like a nice rebound year here in the Midwest.

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.
This comment was edited on Oct 29, 13:27.

Whistles
Oct 29, 2007, 11:27
Whistles Oct 29, 2007, 11:27
Oct 29, 2007, 11:27

You'd be surprised at the difference between listening to the crowd through the tv and being on the pitch itself. A lot of the time you will not hear whistles from the crowd on the pitch - the other noise (boos/chants/singing/etc) drowns it out, and the referee's whistle is much more audible above this.

But I guess that adding a helmet with padding and some football players not used to whistling and it may well get a bit confusing.
I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins
http://www.Horrible.Demon.co.uk/

No subject
Oct 29, 2007, 10:56
No subject Oct 29, 2007, 10:56
Oct 29, 2007, 10:56

I only caught the highlights last night on UK tv - it wasn't the best ever game I've seen, but I am surprised that any of the players were put off by whistles from the crowd. I suppose football players are used to it happening so don't pay it much attention and focus more on the refs whistle while NFL players aren't used to it at all and it confused them. Still, woulda thought they'd have been told to expect it - it is a common thing at football matches in the UK.

No subject
Oct 29, 2007, 10:41
No subject Oct 29, 2007, 10:41
Oct 29, 2007, 10:41

Yeah, you would have thought there would have been some education to the fans before hand....kind of disappointing they didn't get to see a "great" damn near not even "good" game. Lots of turnovers.

On top of that, whistles are annoying as hell. IMHO a whistle anywhere but the field of play for any sport is done in bad taste. There is no reason to be 3 feet (or less) from someone else and blow on a damn whistle. Same goes for beans or coins in a can or blowers, etc. Just stupid.

/edit; I was surprised to see the stoppage of play, usually the ear can detect the whistle as a distance thing. Meaning, you should just be used to how far away the whistle sounds....that being said, when I played sports, we didn't have that many refs and the fields weren't that big (except football obviously - but then only 3-4 refs).

It was painful to watch that NE game.....why don't stations switch to more exciting games when that happens? No reason to run the score up like they did.

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 10:47.

Oct 29, 2007, 10:33
Re: No subject Oct 29, 2007, 10:33
Oct 29, 2007, 10:33

>>I've always wondered how the players never seem to notice them but respond instantly to the ref's whistle

The ref's whistle is connected to a system of small electrodes wired into the players' jock straps. Clearly the Giants/Fins refs were using the inferior sound-only whistles

No subject
Oct 29, 2007, 10:20
No subject Oct 29, 2007, 10:20
Oct 29, 2007, 10:20

Whistles get blown during normal football (I'm not going to call it...you know) games here as well. I've always wondered how the players never seem to notice them but respond instantly to the ref's whistle.
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older