Out of the Blue

Flooding in the southeast (poor New Orleans!) and wildfires on the west coast are the latest disastrous weather headlines from what has been an intense summer and autumn (and we haven't even had a hurricane make landfall!). Meanwhile, the outlook around here remains fair and mild, more or less as it has been for months now. Again, this is nothing to complain about, but with other areas of the country facing such problems, it is enough to inspire one to feel a little guilty.

R.I.P.: Killing Joke's Paul Raven.

Weathered Links! Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Stories: Looking for attractive people? Don't go to...
Infamous NYC 'Preppie Killer' in Coke Bust. Adds "Preppie Dealer" to résumé.
Osmond Faints, but Recovers on 'Dancing'.
Science!: Super-strong body armour in sight.
Sleep Drugs Found Only Mildly Effective, but Wildly Popular.
NASA Faces House Hearings on Air Safety.
Media: Every Windows Startup Logo and Sound.
David Letterman in rare acting appearance on Mork & Mindy.
View : : :
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Fires
Oct 23, 2007, 23:13
Re: Fires Oct 23, 2007, 23:13
Oct 23, 2007, 23:13

I'm not bashing Oregon and Washington I'm just saying that California has lots of faults

Both literally and figuratively!

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/qfaults/ca/index.php

See, live away from SoCal and SF, it's safer!

And yes, there really is a "Weed" Quad Sheet.

Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

Re: OT
Oct 23, 2007, 23:10
Re: OT Oct 23, 2007, 23:10
Oct 23, 2007, 23:10

OK, 'Pig, email sent ....

-----------------------------------
Don't be a stoop, spread your goop
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Oct 23, 2007, 22:59
Re: OT Oct 23, 2007, 22:59
Oct 23, 2007, 22:59

Too late - - I just renewed my cell phone a couple of months ago... but I appreciate the thought!

Re: No subject
Oct 23, 2007, 22:38
nin

Re: No subject Oct 23, 2007, 22:38
Oct 23, 2007, 22:38
 nin

I appreciate the fact that you cleaned up the misc doggy bits of food here and there that get tracked through the house, but I don't need them in a nice neat pile on my custom desk with a pile of mouse shit right next to it.

LMFAO!

------------------------------------------------
"I feel compelled to comment on Zephalfdkasj's completely irrelevant and lengthy tangent into concealed pistol carry...Rarely is extreme insecurity so painfully, transparently obvious."

Oct 23, 2007, 22:32
Kxmode

Re: Fires Oct 23, 2007, 22:32
Oct 23, 2007, 22:32
 Kxmode

I have no problem with the fixation on California though. It keeps my favorite places on the west coast relatively sparsely populated.

I'm not bashing Oregon and Washington I'm just saying that California has lots of faults

-----
http://www.myspace.com/kxmode
p/reviewer for Game Industry News
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Oct 23, 2007, 20:59
Enahs

Re: OT Oct 23, 2007, 20:59
Oct 23, 2007, 20:59
 Enahs

My wife wants to get me an Ipod for Christmas (what a sweetie!), but I was wondering: how hard is it to rip DVDs I already own and put them on it? I don't care if it's technically illegal; I bought the DVDs, and, just like CDs to mp3's, I want to rip them. So how hard is it?

How much disk space are you wanting?

I just got a schweet new phone (but it is still on the cheap end of phones if you resign up for your contract), it ended up costing me $70.
$35 for a 2 gig storage card and $30 for wireless (bluetooth) headphones to go with it.
Gives me a nice mp3/wmv+drm/AAC player that I always have with me. It sounds really great too.

It happened to be a Ericsson w580i.
http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=us&lc=en&ver=4000&template=pip1&pid=10856&zone=pp
It is still a pretty low end phone though.

My point is, unless you really need 60 gigs of space for something, you might first look into a new nice phone with a long battery life and a good music player. That way you always have it with you, and you do not have to worry about taking something extra.

I personally found it much more useful as a music player then my MP3 player ever was, as I just bought a pair of headphones for my gym bag and another for my car to take to school or when waiting at a doctor or something. You can also get more then one memory card, they are the size of a thumbnail, if you need more then 2 gigs. It is not as convenient then as a iPod. Higherend phones support the 4gig or better mem cards.

Just saying, you might look into it.

You can then also have a nice camera phone that does all other cool stuff too, along with phoning!

My phone is clearly not an iPod, but it really is quite nice, and it is a cheap music phone too, not even a great one!

*note* You do not have to get wireless headphones, so you do not have to worry about charging them...but they last a while and can be charged off of any USB port, so, ehh.

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 21:14.
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Oct 23, 2007, 20:58
WarPig

Re: OT Oct 23, 2007, 20:58
Oct 23, 2007, 20:58
 WarPig

Hey banddirector, send me an email addressed to rbergam at (google's email service) dot com.

GO SEAHAWKS!

GO SEAHAWKS!

No subject
Oct 23, 2007, 20:39
No subject Oct 23, 2007, 20:39
Oct 23, 2007, 20:39

I [name edited for privacy reasons] by sound body and 50% shit faced, here by declare war on the mice in my house.

I will use all means necessary to eradicate you from this planet.

It was ok when I could hear you scratching here and there, you would come and go as you please over the last few weeks, but I haven't seen you, nor have you made any messes in plain sight.....but you have now crossed the line. You have made a home on my desk, more than 1x, more than 1 location.

I appreciate the fact that you cleaned up the misc doggy bits of food here and there that get tracked through the house, but I don't need them in a nice neat pile on my custom desk with a pile of mouse shit right next to it.

Your life is over. You thought it was funny when I was taking down your cousin the squirrel, well, now, it will be focused on you bitch. You will cease to exist in this house.

Signed,

Squirrel Mouse Killer.

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.
This comment was edited on Oct 23, 20:41.

OT
Oct 23, 2007, 20:38
OT Oct 23, 2007, 20:38
Oct 23, 2007, 20:38

My wife wants to get me an Ipod for Christmas (what a sweetie!), but I was wondering: how hard is it to rip DVDs I already own and put them on it? I don't care if it's technically illegal; I bought the DVDs, and, just like CDs to mp3's, I want to rip them. So how hard is it?

Oct 23, 2007, 20:04
Enahs

Re: No subject Oct 23, 2007, 20:04
Oct 23, 2007, 20:04
 Enahs

certain area's in Tornado alley in the mid west etc.

Just those f'ers that have trailers there and get government assistance!

I understand being poor and living in a trailer, hell, in many ways some of them are probably nicer then what many of us here on the boards live in. But god damn they are not cemented to the earth with a foundation, so stop using them where tornadoes are known to congregate and find fuck buddies!

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Oct 23, 2007, 19:54
Re: No subject Oct 23, 2007, 19:54
Oct 23, 2007, 19:54

I agree with Warhawk and would include places like Florida (as we had 4 hurricanes's within 6 week 2 years ago) certain area's in Tornado alley in the mid west etc.

As for New Orleans, while I have never been there or really followed the 'who's fault is it?' for the safety procedures of the city, I would like to see it rebuilt. But on the other hand after watching all the looting, crime, etc that took place their, it's not high on my priority list.

When we (my and the roomie) moved down here to Florida, he looked at purchasing a manufactured home. I basically said, would you like me to paint a giant bullseye for Hurricanes to hit it. While apt dwelling has some issues, in the long run it's been alot more cost efficient due to not having to clean up all the debris from the local weather, and a friend of ours pretty much had his house gutted in Deltona (between Olando and Daytona), while apt buildings seem to rather unscatched

Oct 23, 2007, 18:19
Re: No subject Oct 23, 2007, 18:19
Oct 23, 2007, 18:19

Well I agree with you to a point about location. Sadly when it's someplace like southern California, all it takes is some idiot playing with fire, or something throwing a cig butt out a car window to cause hell for everyone else.

Same with the Black Hills of South Dakota.

But someone's dipshit kid is usually the culprit with fireworks.

If you ever go to Deadwood, take the 1880 train ride and you will see a fireproof house built by a local builder....it is awesome. If you are going to live there, do it like he did, do it right.

I just don't get it - I would never buy/build live in a house/apt, etc that was knowingly in the line of constant danger - but then again, I DON'T have an ARM mortgage with a balloon payment either - so - hey, what do I know.

We all know Govt will bail all of the idiots out - which sucks for the rest of us who don't live with our heads in our asses, because the human memory is short, and idiots will just replace the other idiots.

I agree with WH, something needs to be done.

They aren't rebuilding New Orleans? WELL NO SHIT!
If it is going to get rebuilt, it should be private money, not tax money. So when it floods again, and again, and again, and again, the tax payers won't be the ones footing the bill.

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.
This comment was edited on Oct 23, 18:21.

Oct 23, 2007, 17:51
Re: Fires Oct 23, 2007, 17:51
Oct 23, 2007, 17:51

I have no problem with the fixation on California though. It keeps my favorite places on the west coast relatively sparsely populated.

Yeah, if it wasn't for the high cost of living, idiot politicians in congress, and crazy amounts of illegal immigrants, this place would be perfect!

Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Oct 23, 2007, 17:20
Re: Fires Oct 23, 2007, 17:20
Oct 23, 2007, 17:20

Like it matters

No, it just means not living in hilly terrain full of trees and brush. There are lots of relatively open areas, both largely populated and not, that are easier to defend against fires.

Whoosh.... hear that? That's the sound of my point going over everybody's heads! I have no problem with the fixation on California though. It keeps my favorite places on the west coast relatively sparsely populated.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 17:22.

Oct 23, 2007, 17:17
Re: No subject Oct 23, 2007, 17:17
Oct 23, 2007, 17:17

Well I agree with you to a point about location. Sadly when it's someplace like southern California, all it takes is some idiot playing with fire, or something throwing a cig butt out a car window to cause hell for everyone else.
If it was here in Florida where you always have idiots who are told to evacuate and don't and then die (or New Orleans) then they do not have my sympathy, especially when they have days if not weeks worth of notice.

Oct 23, 2007, 17:15
Re: No subject Oct 23, 2007, 17:15
Oct 23, 2007, 17:15

There are times I think there should be certain areas of the country where if you want to live there, you agree to have the appropriate insurance and will rely on no government payments if your house is wiped out. Now these should be very limited and strictly defined, but there are locations that get wiped out every few years or so and people still insist on living there and getting government checks every time the fire or flood wipes out their belongings. These locations should be delineated based on statistical study of natural disasters and a one-time option for the government to buy out your house should be made at going market price. Obviously you could sell it at any time to a private buyer as well. Lots of folks have problems, sometimes more than once. I am all for helping them. But some stubbornly live in problem areas and refuse to help themselves.

Such areas would be, say, areas like New Orleans and parts of both coasts prone to repeat flooding, fires, and landslides. Tornados and hurricanes and EQ are random and infrequent enough that for the most part I don't think they would qualify.

Then again, maybe this is all just idle mumblings....

No subject
Oct 23, 2007, 16:56
No subject Oct 23, 2007, 16:56
Oct 23, 2007, 16:56

You know, that is one thing I am glad about MN (and Midwest) peeps.

We hike up our boots, and deal with it.

Floods ravaged Southern MN this year (again), but didn't make much national attention. We dealt with it in our MN nice way. People helped people, we didn't look for handouts, and we moved forward. (But I still criticize some of those people for living along the Mississippi and say, "yeah, we have rebuilt 5 times")

Glad to be in the Midwest.

fires don't discriminate based on how much money you have.
Nope, Location, Location, Location. As I stated - maybe you didn't look at that Malibu disasters website I linked....doesn't make sense to live there obviously.

/elf - hope your family is ok, sounds like they are prepared, unlike many others. I am fine with people living there, but then bitching about bad things that happen when they happen over and over and over is just stupidity. As WH said, just depends on where you live. He obviously knows WTF he is doing.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 17:01.

About the fires...
Oct 23, 2007, 16:37
About the fires... Oct 23, 2007, 16:37
Oct 23, 2007, 16:37

Actually I consider 'home' to be Escondido California (next door to the San Diego Wild Animal Park), one of the places under mandatory evacuation, and my Uncle and Aunt are next door in San Marcos. Luckily they have a motorhome and are all ready to evacuate up north if they have to.

As for being rich or poor, in Southern California (born and raised till I was 16), I honestly can't remember when anything wasn't overly dried out and basically fire kindling, except for up in the mountains near Big Bear. So all it takes is 1 idiot throwing out a cig butt or fucking around with something flammable and whoosh, big ass fire. So Bats kindly STFU, as the last time I checked disasters such as Earthquakes, Floods, Tsunami's, Hurricanes, Tornado's and fires don't discriminate based on how much money you have.

Anyway was sorta surprised how large the fire was as I had heard there were fires in California that I sorta shrugged it off till my sister called me today, saying she had talked to our family members affected but it.
But as a person who's been in earthquakes, tornado's, hurricanes, I think the thought of evacuating due to something that unlike hurricanes, really doesn't have a 'Ok folks the disaster will have passed us by X'oclock' or other sorts of disaster is pretty dis-heartening.

My thoughts and prayers to all of those who are affected by the fire or have family/relatives/friends affected as well.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 16:39.

Oct 23, 2007, 16:12
Re: Fires Oct 23, 2007, 16:12
Oct 23, 2007, 16:12

But that means they'd have to live in the city, with all the... undesirables...

No, it just means not living in hilly terrain full of trees and brush. There are lots of relatively open areas, both largely populated and not, that are easier to defend against fires.

Hey, if you want to live there, by all means do so. Just recognize there are particular drawbacks to doing so.

I think one thing I like about CA is the variety available. I am about 2 hours from SF Bay area, Napa (wine country), Lake Tahoe, and Yosemite. Monterey/Carmel is not too much farther. Farther north is the Redwoods and to the south LA and the desert areas. All in one state. Of course, cutting off the southern portion of the state at the Grapevine may not upset TOO many folks, either.... We could sell our water to them instead of having to give it to them!

Oct 23, 2007, 16:08
Kxmode

Re: Fires Oct 23, 2007, 16:08
Oct 23, 2007, 16:08
 Kxmode

California != west coast

There's a whole other half of the west coast that doesn't get burned to a crisp every year... instead we get pummeled by windstorms and millions lose power

Like it matters

-----
http://www.myspace.com/kxmode
p/reviewer for Game Industry News
This comment was edited on Oct 23, 16:09.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older