Team Fortress 2 Beta Live

The promised Team Fortress 2 beta went live overnight on Steam, presumably before midnight Pacific time to fulfill the promised September 17 release. The beta is open to those who have pre-purchased the Orange Box Half-Life 2 bundle.
View : : :
151 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older

Re: Out of touch...
Sep 19, 2007, 08:23
Re: Out of touch... Sep 19, 2007, 08:23
Sep 19, 2007, 08:23

Ecthelion, I think he is refering to the animated "map" background for the main menu as opposed to the static jpg image for the background.

As far as I know this has to be commented out in a file. I'll look when I get home in a couple hours, and post it then, if it hasn't already.
Oh, okay. I've never disliked the map background, so I've never bothered to try turning it off.

The fact is that regardless of what you call it, consumers had to fully pay for the entire Orange Box upfront (even if they didn't want all of the gamettes in it) in order to play the pre-release demo/beta of TF2.
You really like your little "gamette" term, don't you? I bet you think you're so smart for coming up with it (I can see you now, giggling like a schoolgirl as you type it from your computer in your parents' basement). "Gamette" is almost up there with the "clever" nicknames you come up with for people who disagree with you.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 08:29.

Re: ...
Sep 19, 2007, 08:22
nin

Re: ... Sep 19, 2007, 08:22
Sep 19, 2007, 08:22
 nin

Aw, did you guys get little Assley all wound up again? Ask him when he's changing his name again!

Assley Putz!
Assley Putz!
Assley Putz!

-----------------------------------------------------
Bioshock: "You're soon beset by deranged flappers and dandies, like Jay Gatsby's party guests gone feral."

Sep 19, 2007, 06:43
Re: ... Sep 19, 2007, 06:43
Sep 19, 2007, 06:43

Demos are not full products.
Betas often are.
This is.

Demos often aren't the best idea for games that are mostly multiplayer, anyway. Look at the gamespy stats - some games (like Halo) have their demo still tearing up the charts long after the game disappears.

Which is why Valve does free weekends.

Sep 19, 2007, 05:17
>U
Re: ... Sep 19, 2007, 05:17
Sep 19, 2007, 05:17
>U

Yep, we all got screwed alright. It really sucks playing Team Fortress 2 three weeks early and enjoying the hell out of it.
YOU didn't get screwed because being the Valve lapdog that you are, you would have paid twice the price for just a screenshot of TF2 three weeks early. The people who are getting screwed are the ones who want to try TF2 without having to buy it first especially without having to buy the whole Orange Box when all they really want is TF2.

If the game is as good as you claim, Valve would have nothing to lose by giving a free demo because most people would end up buying it. This is just a greedy tactic by Valve to scam money out of people who end up not liking the game or who wouldn't have otherwise bought the whole package.

Sep 19, 2007, 05:05
>U
Re: ... Sep 19, 2007, 05:05
Sep 19, 2007, 05:05
>U

Nobody's forcing them to preorder.
I agree no one has to preorder, but I think it is a greedy tactic on Valve's part to pry $50 from consumers who wouldn't otherwise buy the whole package or buy it this soon instead of giving them a free taste.

I don't even understand why you care so much about it.
I actually don't care that much about it which is why I made a brief critical comment about it below and intended to leave it at that. However, as usual the sycophantic duo of theyarecummingforyou and Dacock started pissing in their pants because I criticized Valve for it, and it has taken two more posts (so far) to rebut their incessant crying over it.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 05:07.

Sep 19, 2007, 04:15
Re: ... Sep 19, 2007, 04:15
Sep 19, 2007, 04:15

The fact is that regardless of what you call it, consumers had to fully pay for the entire Orange Box upfront (even if they didn't want all of the gamettes in it) in order to play the pre-release demo/beta of TF2.

I admit gamers aren't widely known for independent thought (implied in the "consumer" label I suppose), but they still have free will. Nobody's forcing them to preorder. I'd love to play it, but I disagree with paying to beta test (even if it's actually a pre-order) so I'm just going to wait. I don't even understand why you care so much about it.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 04:16.

Sep 19, 2007, 02:50
Re: ... Sep 19, 2007, 02:50
Sep 19, 2007, 02:50

Yep, we all got screwed alright. It really sucks playing Team Fortress 2 three weeks early and enjoying the hell out of it.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in Team Fortress 2, Crysis, STALKER, Dark Messiah

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group.

Sep 19, 2007, 01:37
>U
Re: ... Sep 19, 2007, 01:37
Sep 19, 2007, 01:37
>U

What that would be is the LACK of a test-drive and the ability to preorder / use the product.
LOL! You are simply playing semantic games. The end result is what I wrote is correct. Valve is calling it a "beta." I referred to it as a "demo." The fact is that regardless of what you call it, consumers had to fully pay for the entire Orange Box upfront (even if they didn't want all of the gamettes in it) in order to play the pre-release demo/beta of TF2. That is in direct contrast to other game developers and publishers who have free demos and betas of their games before release. That is what I wrote and meant in my original post below, and it is true.

Your comparison also falls apart because unlike the car in your example, Valve is not giving customers the full or final contents of what they bought before release. They are simply getting to play an early version of ONE of the gamettes in the box. In that sense it is a demo of the full and final contents of the Orange Box.

Well that's a different point - a valid one as well. However, you have to hide it amongst your regular bullshit, slander and lies.
It's not a different point. It's the exact point I made in my original post in this thread when I wrote "I'd say you did get screwed because you had to pay for the game in full in advance to play the demo." The only "bullshit, slander and lies" are yours as usual.

No, the problem is that it's a console and not everyone has the hard-drive for it...Basically it's a different platform and they have to work to constraints / precedents before them.
That certainly hasn't stopped other game developers and publishers from offering games, demos, and movies for download on XBOX Live. Those without a hard drive for their consoles simply don't get to participate. Valve could certainly have released a TF2 demo for the 360 via XBOX Live. It just didn't want to do it for free.

Isn't it funny how no-one ever supports your points and yet there are plenty of people reinforcing mine?
First I don't see anyone reinforcing your replies to me except for your fellow Valve toady, Dagok, and even he appears to be too busy giggling like a little girl at the sight of TF2 to bother. Second, having people agree with you wouldn't make you right. It would simply mean you weren't alone in being wrong.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 02:02.

Sep 19, 2007, 01:35
Re: ... Sep 19, 2007, 01:35
Sep 19, 2007, 01:35

Loving TF2 so far, although the Heavy + Medic combo seems a bit too powerful. It'll probably be toned down in retail which is a shame since nothing pumps up your blood as being a Heavy and getting a Medic to turn you invulnerable as you mow down the other team in a crowded chokepoint as your Heavy's shouting and laughing like a madman. Sweet "Dominating" heaven..

The no background command used to be: +map_background none

But for some reason it doesn't work for TF2 (works for HL2 and Dark Messiah). If anyone does find out how to leave a blank or static background for TF2, please post it here since I'd like to know it as well. The Set Launch Options command for: -novid still works though and it'll skip the Valve intro video.

Joined the group btw, on as OpticNerve.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 02:26.

Sep 19, 2007, 00:28
... Sep 19, 2007, 00:28
Sep 19, 2007, 00:28

"nothing of the sort"?! LOL! Do you even think about the bullshit you spew before you post it? Of course it is something of the sort. You had to fully pay for the game upfront in order to play the pre-release demo/beta just as I wrote.
So BMW has a new model out, you head down the garage and they won't let you test drive... still, you know you want it so you preorder it and they let you drive it early. That according to you would be paying 35,000, or whatever the value, to test-drive the car? BULLSHIT. What that would be is the LACK of a test-drive and the ability to preorder / use the product.

I am rightfully criticising Valve for not offering a free demo or beta of the game
Well that's a different point - a valid one as well. However, you have to hide it amongst your regular bullshit, slander and lies.

LOL! XBOX Live IS an online distribution system. The problem from Valve's perspective is simply that XBOX Live is not Valve's online distribution system and MIcrosoft would get a cut of any sales.
No, the problem is that it's a console and not everyone has the hard-drive for it... the system also isn't designed for downloading entire multi-gig games as the console just doesn't have the disc space for that. Also, it's not the primary system for distribution, unlike Steam. Basically it's a different platform and they have to work to constraints / precedents before them.

NEway, keep jumping up and down whilst casing hexes on Valve employees... you won't convince anyone here that you're reasonable. Isn't it funny how no-one ever supports your points and yet there are plenty of people reinforcing mine?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Re: Won't Launch? Check firewall
Sep 18, 2007, 23:31
Re: Won't Launch? Check firewall Sep 18, 2007, 23:31
Sep 18, 2007, 23:31

Thanks for joining game Ray! that was fun. hehehehhe

My eyes are buggin from playing today.

Rev. Norb: I'd just like to say that four for a dollar Tijuana tacos seemed like a good idea at the time. Please pass the toilet paper.

Sep 18, 2007, 23:05
Re: Won't Launch? Check firewall Sep 18, 2007, 23:05
Sep 18, 2007, 23:05

Yeah, it is in the beta and full game.

In fact, all three games in the Orange Box will have commentary.
So...er...where is the spy bleeding effect?
Done posting; off to frag,
Ray

-----
Would you kindly?
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
http://wowgems.jponrails.com/cut_gems/list
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Sep 18, 2007, 23:02
Re: Out of touch... Sep 18, 2007, 23:02
Sep 18, 2007, 23:02

Heh - I was going to be buying it anyway.

I am just Valve's b*tch and do not think they will make any real effort to price the games accordingly. So wanting TF2 and being Valve's b*tch, buy it now or wait?

And the beta thing is a bit lame - they really need to have a "demo" for everybody else on release day. Again, this is a game that was supposed to be free with HL1.

Lastly, I'm curious to see what Ep2 does or does not do in the story department. The PCG review gave me a sense of deja vu; great polish with some fun fights, but very little advancement or answers. Even with the route Ep3 looks to be taking, I still think Valve is going to be left missing the ball on the story side of things. And I have repeatedly blamed the episodic releases - Ep1 basically repeated stuff from HL2 and should have been the "real" ending to HL2 along with the eeexxxttteeennndddeeeddd release schedule - but maybe Valve just does not know where to go with HL?

Eh, we'll see.
And how come I can't give away my other repeats of games?
Off to defend my TF2 team,
Ray

-----
Would you kindly?
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
http://wowgems.jponrails.com/cut_gems/list
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Sep 18, 2007, 22:00
>U
Re: ... Sep 18, 2007, 22:00
Sep 18, 2007, 22:00
>U

It's nothing of the sort.
"nothing of the sort"?! LOL! Do you even think about the bullshit you spew before you post it? Of course it is something of the sort. You had to fully pay for the game upfront in order to play the pre-release demo/beta just as I wrote.

one of the biggest criticisms you had with online business model... not being able to play the game when it was finished
Actually that is a criticism of Steam NOT one of digital distribution in general, ,i.e. "online business model," as others using digital distribution such as Atari with Test Drive Unlimited do not hold back online releases to coincide with retail release dates.

Valve changes that and now you label it a demo and criticise them?
I am NOT criticising Valve for releasing the game early (although it should release all of the Orange Box early not just TF2). I am rightfully criticising Valve for not offering a free demo or beta of the game instead of only allowing those who fully paid for the Orange Box via Steam to play it. So to put it in simple terms that even you should be able to understand, Valve releasing the game early is good. Valve offering no free beta or demo is bad.

Of course they could... they could have charged for access via Xbox Live. However, without an online distribution system (due to the limited hard-drive capacity and infrastructure of the console) they have to wait for the game to be produced.
LOL! XBOX Live IS an online distribution system. The problem from Valve's perspective is simply that XBOX Live is not Valve's online distribution system and MIcrosoft would get a cut of any sales. Sure Valve could have offered a free demo or beta of TF2 via XBOX Live. Many other game developers and publishers have done so. Valve simply didn't want to offer something for free.

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 23:21.

Sep 18, 2007, 21:46
Re: Won't Launch? Check firewall Sep 18, 2007, 21:46
Sep 18, 2007, 21:46

Keep forgetting to post this myself, and nobody else has mentioned it. I'm sure everyone has been too busy playing to notice...

Full Commentary is in Team Fortress 2 and available in the beta.

Sep 18, 2007, 21:39
Re: Won't Launch? Check firewall Sep 18, 2007, 21:39
Sep 18, 2007, 21:39

thanks Valve, for disabling the alt-tab option)

Works fine for me, and does in all Valve games. In fact I play in a window with whatever games allow me to these days at 1280x800, so with my 1280x1024 desktop (still using CRT), it leaves me the System Tray for easy multi tasking.

(I hate STALKER for shitty windowed support and Dark Messiah for and none at all.)

---------------------------

theyarenotcoming...msg me in Steam.

---------------------------

Ok, so this DOES NOT work with TF2!

But in HL2 and Ep1 to prevent the animated map from loading on the Main Menu...

For either game go into the ../hl2/cfg/ folder and edit the valve.rc file in Notepad.

// display the startup level
// startupmenu

add the slashes in front of "startupmenu" and it should just load the static image.

There wasn't a cfg folder in the TF2 folder, so I made one and put the valve.rc file in there. Loading the game I still got the map as the background.

I'll post if I find out how to get a static image.

Sep 18, 2007, 21:18
Re: ... Sep 18, 2007, 21:18
Sep 18, 2007, 21:18

This was, back in the day, one of the biggest criticisms you had with online business model... not being able to play the game when it was finished - Valve changes that and now you label it a demo and criticise them? As I've said before they CANNOT win with you. Whatever they do they lose so you can fuck off.

Hah, good memory. I remember him that argument.

As I said to Ray in Steam earlier... I don't care what Riley has to say anymore. The quality of Team Fortress 2 speaks for itself.

Sep 18, 2007, 21:13
Re: Out of touch... Sep 18, 2007, 21:13
Sep 18, 2007, 21:13

You don't have to explain yourself Ray...

You're not the first guy to claim he wasn't buying a game and did anyway.

Won't Launch? Check firewall
Sep 18, 2007, 20:55
Won't Launch? Check firewall Sep 18, 2007, 20:55
Sep 18, 2007, 20:55

Having trouble getting TF2 to launch? Mine would freeze on the second loading screen forever, had to reboot to get my machine back (thanks Valve, for disabling the alt-tab option). I discovered that it was being blocked from access the internet by my firewall. Added the new entry and it loaded fine.

Re: Still available?
Sep 18, 2007, 20:26
Re: Still available? Sep 18, 2007, 20:26
Sep 18, 2007, 20:26

Yes...the BETA is available at least until the Oct 10th release, but Valve will be rolling out the new server builds like a day before the 10th, so on the 9th there won't be many BETA servers. Valves focus will switch to the retail release.

Currently there are around 350 servers and they are nearly all full...just after midnight of the 17th (last night) there were about 140 servers and they filled up in less than a minute. The TF2 BETA is currently the 2nd most popular multiplayer FPS (according to gamespy)...and while counter strike is way out in the lead by 6 times more players I should point out that many CS players aren't going to even try TF2 until release because many of them didn't like TFC and never played the original TF.

My prediction is that TF2 will break even with CS soon after release.
Let's Rock!
151 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older